Titans Fake Punt Against Bills

ChevyVanMiller

While a great fake punt, it’s a dumb play. It’s in the first preseason game, the Titans had a lead and no one was even close to playing their starters. Just seemed like a wasted good punt fake to me

Some will say that they put it on tape so teams had to prepare for it but they never ran it again that year. Could have been they weren’t sure if it would work so try it in a non important game. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

While a great fake punt, it’s a dumb play. It’s in the first preseason game, the Titans had a lead and no one was even close to playing their starters. Just seemed like a wasted good punt fake to me

Some will say that they put it on tape so teams had to prepare for it but they never ran it again that year. Could have been they weren’t sure if it would work so try it in a non important game. 

It was actually 0-0 before the fake punt.

They were kind of in no man's land. They're at the 40, so it's a 57 yd FG attempt, or it's a punt that likely goes into the EZ. I'd argue in a regular season game the punter would likely get crushed if they ran that.

• Like (+1) 1

That definitely had the look of something they drew up in May and then tried once in practice "just to see" and looked better than they thought.  The next conversation was "No way that works against another team's punt return unit, right? Right?"  "Well, we have the HoF game..." I'd be willing to bet there were some friendly wagers amongst the coaching staff about whether it would work or not.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I came across this clip recently and have no memory of this play whatsoever. It’s a phenomenal fake, though. I can’t believe that they wasted it in a preseason game.

I’ve watched clips of (too many)games that I attended and have no memory of. 😬

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, transient said:

It was actually 0-0 before the fake punt.

They were kind of in no man's land. They're at the 40, so it's a 57 yd FG attempt, or it's a punt that likely goes into the EZ. I'd argue in a regular season game the punter would likely get crushed if they ran that.

Moorman used to pull that stuff often.

9 hours ago, Long Suffering Fan said:

Curse you.  I watched the clip and ended up seeing Dick Jauron's face.  Now my nightmares will return.

I actually came here to say exactly the same thing.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, arcane said:

This shows up randomly in my Facebook feed once a week. It's a nice play but it's bizarre that a hall of fame game play 15 yrs ago continues to get attention 

It's definitely great click bait, because of it being so long ago, I'd say they get alot of clicks of people thinking it was a "real" game or don't know the different between a pre season hof game and the "real" thing.

As many others have said, its a weird flex that the Titans decided to try that in a hof game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.