55 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

White 27 Allen 7 Edmunds 16 Oliver 10 Diggs sort of 22 Rousseau 30 Elam 23

White - Yes

Allen - Yes

Edmunds - Yes, but need more splash plays

Oliver - Average, not an impact player

Diggs - (trade) Yes

Rousseau - TBD, but not an impact guy through 2 years

Elam - TBD, but McDermott refused to play him despite him playing well when called upon

Gotta do better than that to keep pace. 

Can't be missing on Oliver, Epenesa, Basham and taking guys like Bernard and Elam who barely play their rookie years. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, SCBills said:

White - Yes

Allen - Yes

Edmunds - Yes, but need more splash plays

Oliver - Average, not an impact player

Diggs - (trade) Yes

Rousseau - TBD, but not an impact guy through 2 years

Elam - TBD, but McDermott refused to play him despite him playing well when called upon

Gotta do better than that to keep pace. 

Can't be missing on Oliver, Epenesa, Basham and taking guys like Bernard and Elam who barely play their rookie years. 

Keep pace?  If so it should be easy to find 10 or so teams with a better batch of first rounders since 2017 but no one has even bothered to try.  I wonder why.

51 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Why are you willing to give Basham another year and not Epenesa?    Epenesa is a year younger than Boogie...........and basically tripled his sack production and had twice the QB hits,  forced a couple fumbles and did it all lining up against LT's.   

Basham was an over-ripe prospect and his slow start should be quite discouraging.    I'm not happy with Epenesa and he's entering his walk year and given his slow development I find it hard to envision him having a place going forward whether he puts up 2 sacks or 20 next season..........but at this point Boogie is a "surprise cut" kinda' candidate.

Good post ... except for the "2 or 20" thing. With the caveat that I'm NOT saying that chances are good that we've got a Hassan Reddick on our hands, check out Reddick's leap between years 3 and 4: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/ReddHa00.htm. I wanted to sign Reddick (as you may recall), but I remember replies to the effect that he was a one-year wonder. Epenesa HAS improved, and if he gets, say, 11-12 sacks next season, the Bills will have an interesting problem on their hands. Because he will get paid if that happens. Not saying it will!

Interesting that AZ chose to pay JJ Watt over Reddick in 2021. But AZ is a bad franchise.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

Yeah a trade down at some point seems imminent this year. 

With our cap situation and expiring contracts, we need an influx of young cheap talent. I'd love 8 or 9 picks in this draft.

One of the reasons so many rookies played for the chiefs this season, besides excellent coaching, is that the team lacked depth. I think that will have to be the Bills next year.

8 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Keep pace?  If so it should be easy to find 10 or so teams with a better batch of first rounders since 2017 but no one has even bothered to try.  I wonder why.

Because no one is really making that argument.  Beane is, justifiably, being called out for his Day 2 picks. 

That said.. 

Oliver was a big miss.  Edmunds is an enigma.

Allen and Diggs, sure.

Rousseau and Elam.. too soon to tell. 

Edited by SCBills

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Good post ... except for the "2 or 20" thing. With the caveat that I'm NOT saying that chances are good that we've got a Hassan Reddick on our hands, check out Reddick's leap between years 3 and 4: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/ReddHa00.htm. I wanted to sign Reddick (as you may recall), but I remember replies to the effect that he was a one-year wonder. Epenesa HAS improved, and if he gets, say, 11-12 sacks next season, the Bills will have an interesting problem on their hands. Because he will get paid if that happens. Not saying it will!

Interesting that AZ chose to pay JJ Watt over Reddick in 2021. But AZ is a bad franchise.

Yeah I loved Reddick as well........he was often mentioned as a trade or cut candidate in Arizona and it always intrigued me because the guy can get to the QB..........when you have a player like that you put him in position to succeed and naturally, a smart organization did.

The thing is.........if Epenesa breaks out he will get PAID.........there will be no "tweener" discount like Reddick had to take because AJE has ideal size/length for a 4-3 NFL DE........and I can't see the Bills affording that in 2024.    The best scenario was for him to break out this season while the Bills still had some contract leverage and so that he figured into decision making ahead of spending on Edmunds/Poyer.  

I think they will try to find $30M to spend($50M in cap adjustments) this offseason on UFA's and draft picks and that they aren't budgeting in either Ed Oliver or Epenesa.   Either way I think those 2 are gone.   Their next big ticket home grown target is probably trying to get Rousseau locked up in the 2025 offseason.

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Because no one is really making that argument.  Beane is, justifiably, being called out for his Day 2 picks. 

That said.. 

Oliver was a big miss.  Edmunds is an enigma.

Allen and Diggs, sure.

Rousseau and Elam.. too soon to tell. 

Actually people are making the argument that Beane has drafted poorly.  I’ve included examples of his first round picks and objective info about the aggregate of his picks.  Now we’ve shifted to 2nd round only.  Why not isolate it to left handed blue eyed players from conferences that have a school that starts with Q in them?  Maybe you can build a case on that.

Still absent is a comparison to ANY other organization’s picks since 2017 in the first, first plus second, or overall.  If Beane is so bad, these comparisons should be exceedingly easy but…..crickets.  And if Beane is bad…..or even below average, you should be able to find 19 of them since that is our average draft slot over that period.

Calling Oliver a “big miss” is also a joke BTW, but even if it weren’t, that’s all you can come up with in 6 years worth of first round picks?  Have any other teams had “big misses” in the first round over the last 6 years?

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Actually people are making the argument that Beane has drafted poorly.  I’ve included examples of his first round picks and objective info about the aggregate of his picks.  Now we’ve shifted to 2nd round only.  Why not isolate it to left handed blue eyed players from conferences that have a school that starts with Q in them?  Maybe you can build a case on that.

Still absent is a comparison to ANY other organization’s picks since 2017 in the first, first plus second, or overall.  If Beane is so bad, these comparisons should be exceedingly easy but…..crickets.  And if Beane is bad…..or even below average, you should be able to find 19 of them since that is our average draft slot over that period.

Calling Oliver a “big miss” is also a joke BTW, but even if it weren’t, that’s all you can come up with in 6 years worth of first round picks?  Have any other teams had “big misses” in the first round over the last 6 years?

At the end of the day, he drafted Josh Allen, which means he got the biggest of all big things 100 percent right and wasn't even remotely close to being in position to land him at the start of that draft cycle (before trades). He's drafted some good players and some meh players like all GMs. Oliver is the only shaky first round pick because the DTs taken behind him in the first are generally better. But he's not bad. Allen, Edmunds, Diggs (yes, I will always treat him as a first round pick because we spent an actual first round pick to get him), and Rousseau are all good, and the jury is out on Elam. 

Edited by dave mcbride

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

At the end of the day, he drafted Josh Allen, which means he got the biggest of all big things 100 percent right and wasn't even remotely close to being in position to land him at the start of that draft cycle (before trades). He's drafted some good players and some meh players like all GMs. Oliver is the only shaky first round pick because the DTs taken behind him in the first are generally better. But he's not bad. Allen, Edmunds, Diggs (yes, I will always treat him as a first round pick because we spent an actual first round pick to get him), and Rousseau are all good, and the jury is out on Elam. 

I wouldn't even say the jury is out on Elam.  That guy can cover receivers.

He'll only get better.  It wouldn't surprise me if he was our best corner in '23, though I expect Tre to get back to form.  I think our secondary in general could be one of the top units in the league.

But, I do tend to lean homer. So, there's that.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Success said:

I wouldn't even say the jury is out on Elam.  That guy can cover receivers.

He'll only get better.  It wouldn't surprise me if he was our best corner in '23, though I expect Tre to get back to form.  I think our secondary in general could be one of the top units in the league.

But, I do tend to lean homer. So, there's that.

Well, he played great in a playoff game, so that's something that sticks with me. Granted, it was vs. a total scrub, but still. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.