FA and draft needs? Shoot your shot.

thunderingsquid

13 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Not a bad point in a vacuum I suppose, but Allen gets hammered more than most QBs in the pocket, and, that's why he has to run/scramble often, because there is no pocket.  

Either way, here are the facts to date on Beane's drafts: 

He's poured almost everything into the D, but it sucks in the playoffs.  

Most of his draft picks on days 1 & 2 have been in the Front-7 and he still hasn't produced an impact player there.  How many more resources are we going to expend doing that.  

He's swung and missed on 3 day 1/2 RBs, same there.  Nothing better than average if even that.  

No WRs on days 1/2 and only the two OL-men I'd mentioned, Ford and Brown.  

In short, I think that a lot of people are going to be banging their heads against a wall if he goes DE/DT/LB/RB again, despite the fact that due to his inability to draft well all of those needs still exist.  

I like your plan of OT in round 1.  I would strongly suggest that if Patterson is there in round 2 that they take him.  They won't, so we're both pissing into the wind.  LOL  All we can do is watch anyway.  I suppose it's fun to play GM tho.  I wish I had a fraction of the paycheck that comes with it tho.  LOL 

I’m just not going to be a big fan of using premium picks on defense this year we have a defensive coach let him coach of the defense and use those premium pics on office

Some of these teams we are just going to have to outs score or dominate by running the ball

16 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

If I was the Bills I won’t waste any years while I have Allen keep kicking the can down the road like the Saints until Allen is a shell of himself. 

With any kind of look nasty, Josh Allen, being a shell of himself, isn’t going to happen for many years

55 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I’m just not going to be a big fan of using premium picks on defense this year we have a defensive coach let him coach of the defense and use those premium pics on office

Some of these teams we are just going to have to outs score or dominate by running the ball

With any kind of look nasty, Josh Allen, being a shell of himself, isn’t going to happen for many years

Might be sooner then u think Newton was a shell of himself by year 8 . QBs that take hits like Josh don’t last long. I hope that he can play another 10-12 yrs at a high level but to be honest I expect 3-4. 

Defense: sign Poyer, let Edmunds walk, trade Oliver.  Sign Daron Payne or Javon Hargrove and sign a vet LB in $5m per year range as Edmunds replacement   

Offense: trade Oliver and pick 27 to Houston for pick 12.  draft Skoronski from northwestern.  He can play Tackle or Guard.  Sign Michael Thomas as Diggs’ 1B.  Let Singletary walk, restructure Hines, and sign a bigger RB in Free Agency for under $5m.  Draft best OL/WR available in 2nd round.  

Round 1: WR (The Bills can cut McKenzie and save $2.8M on the cap with only $300K dead cap, the Bills could go outside WR here, or get someone who takes a stranglehold on the slot WR job so we don't have that timeshare with McKenzie, Beasley, Shakir). 

Round 2: OG

Round 3: OG 

Round 4: OT (RT is a problem, but listening to Beane talk, I don't think the Bills see him as an outright replacement option)

Round 5: S

Round 6: LB

Sorry, we've invested a lot in DI, DE, there isn't another draft pick to spare on another rotational piece that isn't good. Going to have to Coach up Oliver, Rousseau, Epenesa and Basham. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

FA: 

Re-sign Phillips, Lawson, Boettger, Jackson, Dodson, Martin, Oliver (if it is reasonable and lowers his cap hit)

Jakobi Meyers / WR - 3 years, $36M, $24M gtd (Somewhere around that would probably get it done). Meyers is a good WR who has put up solid numbers with mediocre QB's. He will really take off with Josh throwing him the rock. He's 6'2", has some route versatility, and has good hands. He would be a really good #2 to Diggs and would allow Davis to move back to the #3 or #4 role since the adjustment to #2 was hard for him  He's also $7M-$8M per year cheaper than Hopkins and wouldn't cost us any draft capital. 

Isaac Seumalo / G - 3 years, $42M, $28M gtd (somewhere around that would probably get it done, maybe a little less even). You want to improve the OL around Josh? It's gonna cost some money. But if we want to get to the SB, we have to build the OL. Seumalo has allowed 1 sack all year on over 1,100 snaps and is part of the #1 OL in the NFL. He plays RG now, but could play either G spot on the line. Immediate upgrade.

Draft: 

R1 #27 - Zay Flowers / WR / Boston College - The young man reminds me A LOT of Stefon Diggs and would be an absolute BEAST playing the Slot in our offense. This would give us a crazy amount of weapons and versatility in our passing game. The WR group becomes Diggs, Meyers, Flowers, Davis, and McKenzie. This would be huge for Josh. 

R2 #59 - Darnell Wright / T / Tennessee - Darnell Wright was very good at RT for Tennessee this year. He gave up 0 sacks against SEC competition. This is what we need, a guy who can keep Josh upright and clean. This also pushes Spencer Brown to the bench. 

R3 #91 - Dorian Williams / LB / Tulane - I've seen varying opinions on Dorian Williams, but the guy is solid in coverage and brings the Thor hammer with him every time he hits somebody. Attitude, attitude, attitude. You can see that demeanor he has on the field and he wants all the smoke. He reminds me A LOT of Nick Bolton. He has a closing burst that is second to none. I think he can be our Day 1 starting ILB so I'm pulling the trigger. 

R4# 128 - Jarrett Patterson / G / Notre Dame - Patterson was one of the highest rated G's in the land this year. He allowed 0 sacks for the Irish and is good in the run game. He is a plug-and-play NFL starter at G and can also play C as well. The additions of both he and Seumalo would be the stability Josh needs on the interior of this OL. 

R5 #135 - J.L. Skinner / S / Boise St. - An All Pro in Poyer is going to be tough to replace. It will be nice to get Hyde back this year. Who knows if Hamlin will ever be able to play again. Skinner is a 6'4" 220lb plus athlete who brings bad intentions behind his pads. The guy he studies and crafts his game after is Kam Chancellor. He is also solid in coverage, but can be a bit stiff. Still, the athleticism at his size and his temperament are a big draw. He could be a steal for us in the 5th. 

R5 #160 - Derek Parish / DE / Houston - He's a little on the light side at about 250lbs, but the young man gets after it. He'll use a variety of both power and finesse moves to beat the OT and get to the QB. He's needs some refinement in run defense, work on setting an edge and finishing against the RB. Still, the rush ability alone is worth the draft slot here. 

After the FA and the draft the WR group is fixed, the OL is fixed, we have a replacement for Edmunds, and some depth. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Yup, completely agree!

10 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

My wish list.

Free Agency:

OL Issac Seamolu

OL Dalton Risner

WR DJ Chark

RB Samaje Perine

I don't think signing these players is that difficult to do and will not hurt our salary cap.

Draft:

S Antonio Johnson or Jordan Battle

OL John Michael Schmitz or Olusegun Oluwatimi & Steve Avila or Andrew Vorhees

WR Rashee Rice or Cedric Tillman or Zay Flowers or Rakim Jarrett

DL Mike Morris

We will need a Safety, if that means using our first pick on one, so be it.

Offensive Guard & Center is more of a dire need than Offensive Tackle.

Very nice list all around👍

• Thank you (+1) 1

Myers is not happening. 

Spotrac, which analyzes contracts for major sports leagues, projects Jokobi Meyers to land a contract with an annual average salary of $12.5 million. This website uses past contracts of comparable players to come up with someone’s market value. They compare Meyers to the likes of Allen Robinson, Corey Davis, Jarvis Landry and Terry McLaurin and project he has a market value around a four-year, $50 million contract.

• Shocked 1

The problem with not wanting to invest more resources into the DL is that they need to invest more resources into the DL.

Miller will miss at least half the season. That leaves Rousseau. We know Epenesa and Basham are useless and Lawson is UFA. Oliver and Jones are a good enough starting combo, but Phillips is UFA and Settle struggled despite his supposed untapped upside (I do like Bryant). 

Free Agents; Bolder are positions a starter needs to be replaced. 

QB: Keenum - Need to replace with back up.

RB: Singletary, Jones - Need starter. Cook can replace or look to upgrade in draft FA.

WR: Crowder, Beas, Brown, Kumerow - Need starter and depth. Not on roster, sorry McK, Shakir. 

TE: Sweeney - Could upgrade TE2/3.

OL: Murray, Quessenberry, Saffold, Hart, Ike B, Van Roten - Need starters and depth. Not on roster. A lot of work needed.

DL: Phillips, Lawson - Need depth at DE and DT. 

LB: Edmunds, Dodson, Klein, Mata - Need starter and depth. Not on roster, no Bernard, Spector are not starters. 

DB: Poyer, Johnson, Marlowe, Jackson, Lewis - Need starter and depth. Not SS starter is not on roster. 

P: Martin - Need starter. Not on roster. 

13 hours ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

Let's not forget that we do still have Tommy Doyle, under contract. He's coming off an ACL, from the hot Phin debacle, so he should be ready to go for the season opener. We had started using him in the "eligible OL" / blocking TE role, a bit, prior to his injury. Cheap, in the system, athletic freak, has hands... Just an under-the-radar guy that should be noted, in the conversation. 

Can you imagine Brown in the eligible OL blocking TE role this year? (Assuming we sign a vet RT and let Brown take a step back). 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, PBF81 said:

I have no idea how we can't go almost entirely OL on Days 1 & 2 (Rounds 1-3) 

I have some ideas why.

Because they value Dawkins, Bates and Brown long term.......and Mitch Morse is their most consistent OL.   And at center Bates figures to inherit that role from Morse in 2024 and is as good of an athlete as any C in the draft and only 2 years older than John Michael Schmitz despite going into year 5 in the NFL.

If you are drafting OL early they need to be immediate starters..........if only because they need the reps to develop...........and you need to anticipate that they are likely to suck and get your QB hit a lot........like early first rounder and super guard prospect Kenyon Green did last year allowing 8 sacks as a rookie.

So 3 of them?    Nah.

I expect a combined effort in UFA and the draft.........and I'm not expecting miracles from who they draft.

The guys that need to step up are Brown and Doyle........year 3 is when you expect OL to really start paying dividends. 

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Lofton80 said:

Myers is not happening. 

Spotrac, which analyzes contracts for major sports leagues, projects Jokobi Meyers to land a contract with an annual average salary of $12.5 million. This website uses past contracts of comparable players to come up with someone’s market value. They compare Meyers to the likes of Allen Robinson, Corey Davis, Jarvis Landry and Terry McLaurin and project he has a market value around a four-year, $50 million contract.

Meyers likely isn't happening, but it should if there's mutual interest.

Let Edmunds walk and take his money, give it to Meyers.  Then draft a guy with WR1 traits in RD1.  Fill out the OL on Day 2 with a RT and C/G.   Draft another IOL in Rd4, then a RB2 in RD5.  

Offense is set for multiple years and Allen has weapons and protection. 

Sign a mid-tier FA vet LB and mid-tier vet Safety.  Transition Benford to Safety.   ....and McD/Frazier, figure it out.  You still have Von, Daquan, Oliver, Rousseau, Milano, Johnson, White, Elam and Hyde.  How much more does a Defensive HC need?

I think the WR2 needs to come from the draft purely from a cap standpoint. If there's someone worthy of the pick when they're on the clock, get the best WR available in Rd 1 and draft OL in 2nd and 3rd. Allen won't need to extend plays so much if he has someone who can reliably get open and catch the ball outside of Diggs. Combine this with a Dorsey and Allen "come to Jesus" moment about taking some of the underneath stuff and running the ball when it's there for some balance.

1. RT (with guard versatility). I’m not expecting Brown to suddenly become a quality starter, but if he does you want a a guy who can slide inside and still get the 5 best OL on the field.

2. OG. Preferably a RG but just get the best guy you can, play him on his preferred side, and slap Bates on the other side.

3. Do-it-all WR2 (ideally) or quality slot WR. Need a high volume target than can consistently win in the short area of the field.

4. DT. Phillips is a FA and Jones, Settle, and Oliver are all FA in 2024. Gotta plan ahead.

5. DE. I know we’re sick to our stomachs of watching DE investments flop in Buffalo, but that doesn’t mean you give up on getting it right.

6. RB. Just any dime a dozen downhill runner. Round 5-7 pick or a vet minimum FA.

I honestly don’t care much at all about what they do at LB and SAF.

Edited by gobills404

5 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Might be sooner then u think Newton was a shell of himself by year 8 . QBs that take hits like Josh don’t last long. I hope that he can play another 10-12 yrs at a high level but to be honest I expect 3-4. 

If they don't hurry up and wrap a good OL around him, he will never develop as a pocket passer nor will he have the longevity. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.