Joe Buscaglia’s Early Thoughts on the Bills Needs Going Into 2023

JohnNord

I know many of us are fans of Joe B.  I thought he did a very good job analyzing the Bills potential off-season needs.  You can listen below but I’ll list the 10 big points:

1. Sean McDermott is going NO WHERE! 

He understands the fan disappointment and blames the majority of the loss on McDermott for not having the Bills ready versus Cincinnati.  But he said it’s impressive with how the team overcame so many obstacles to win 14 games.  It would be maddening to move on from McDermotr.

2. Frazier is staying too.  Same with McDermott.  Talks about how they played poorly defensively against CIN but that the defense overcame many injuries to finish 4th in DVOA and that the defense bailed the Bills out in the WC against Miami.  

3. Dangerous game with Ken Dorsey.  It looks like Dorsey is staying and there is danger.  His 2022 season, while good statistically, also showed little creativity with a failure to adjust and break tendency.  Josh Allen wants him as OC and thinks he’ll get better.  BUT if he doesn’t get better, the Bills might have wasted another season.  The decision to run it back with Dorsey is probably the biggest gamble going into next season.  

4. Beane needs to fix the OL BIGTIME 

The Bills OL struggled and switched schemes throughout the season - which is not a good sign.  The OL depth was tested and was often very poor.  Beane will need to do a better job at finding depth.  

5. No “big ticket” free agent signings 

Forget any big FA contracts.  Beane said it’s not gonna happen and that Von is the biggest signing this off-season az well.  Bargain shopping only.  

6. Tremaine Edmunds has a chance of re-signing

Beane and McDermott raved about Edmunds.  Joe believes the market will be strong but that the Bills can find a way to bring him back.

7. The Terrell Bernard draft pick looms large

Bernard was a luxury pick that couldn’t see the field - even in garbage time.  He is not a replacement for Edmunds and going into Year 2, there doesn’t seem to be any role for him on the defense.  Given the talent that was available in round 3 last season and the fact Poyer is likely gone, it would have made more sense to draft a safety last season to take over.  There’s a chance Christian Benford could step in.   Either way it seems like the  3rd round selection could have been allocated much better.  

8. Devin Singletary is likely gone but could be back if there’s no market.

The Bills like Singletary but doesn’t see how the bring him back unless he doesn’t get the type of deal he wants in FA.  

9. Bills believe in Spencer Brown but

should they?

He was one of the worst rated starters on the team.  Joe doesn’t know how the Bills can possibly give Brown the benefit of the doubt given to how poorly he’s played.  Believes Bills will sign a veteran player like “Rodger Saffold” to complete at RT.  

10. Allen does not believe in his offensive line 

Believes there are a LOT of issues with the OL and the Bills need to do more to help Josh Allen.   The actions of Josh Allen throughout 2022 show that Josh doesn’t trust his line, resulting him to bail on plays and not get through his position.  He implied that there could be more moves in OL this season.  

• Like (+1) 11
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 15
  • Dislike 1

14 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

He implied that there could be more moves in OL this season.  

He meaning Joe B? Or Josh? Probably the former but thought I'd ask. It's it's Joe, it's quite the obvious statement; if it's Josh, it's way, way more than that though I don't think Josh is the type to critique his linemen in public.

So sick of hearing how we “overcame so much.” The Hamlin situation, got it. Awful, and kudos to all involved; not referring to that in this post. But the team was in a downward spiral well before that. 

Snow storms, injuries, and having to sleep in a hotel on Christmas all suck. But my god could you imagine if we heard Chiefs fans using these excuses if they lost? We would be laughing, and laughing. 

Allowing Frazier to destroy this defense for another year is criminal. Allowing him these lame ass excuses is worse. 

Edited by stevestojan
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 17
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5
  • Dislike 3

21 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

6. Tremaine Edmunds has a chance of re-signing

Beane and McDermott raved about Edmunds.  Joe believes the market will be strong but that the Bills can find a way to bring him back.

How do you commit $25+ million a year to two LBers who don't rush the QB?  That's a huge chunk of money to what amounts to arguably the least impactful defensive positions.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think Benford will move into the safety role, and be good there.  Does Bernard see a lot of time on special teams?  It's too bad they can't find a role for him.

I do think Brown will be better next year, and at minimum provide quality depth.  But he could be the starter we all hoped he'd be.  The injury set him back last year.

Signing Edmunds would be a magic trick, but Beane has worked some magic in the past.  Who knows. Would be great to keep him.  I'd be surprised if we didn't pick at least 2 O linemen in the draft, and probably 3.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Billl said:

How do you commit $25+ million a year to two LBers who don't rush the QB?  That's a huge chunk of money to what amounts to arguably the least impactful defensive positions.

There is soooo much more to playing LB than rushing the QB. Good linebackers like Edmunds and Milano take away huge chunks of the field and force QBs to have to make much more difficult throws into much tighter windows. In the modern game an incompletion is almost as good as a sack, it's a play for no yards and a loss of down.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Success said:

I think Benford will move into the safety role, and be good there.  Does Bernard see a lot of time on special teams?  It's too bad they can't find a role for him.

I do think Brown will be better next year, and at minimum provide quality depth.  But he could be the starter we all hoped he'd be.  The injury set him back last year.

Signing Edmunds would be a magic trick, but Beane has worked some magic in the past.  Who knows. Would be great to keep him.  I'd be surprised if we didn't pick at least 2 O linemen in the draft, and probably 3.  

I think Bernard may be just too small, but so was Milano and he is pretty jacked now.  

• Agree 1

I wholeheartedly disagree with #3. Dorsey is the biggest gamble? On what planet? Continuing to bring back your defensive coordinator whose defense has proven to fail time and time again when it matters is the biggest gamble. The sample size is also 5x as larger than Dorsey and that unit has hoarded all the premium picks. Funny how Buscaglia can make excuses for Frazier, but then condemn Dorsey. Fact is they both probably need to be replaced, but I’m willing to see if the offense can evolve with a 2nd year play caller and more resources allocated to his side of the ball. I have no faith in the defense next year to make the plays when needed. None. And much of that has to do with who’s coordinating and calling the plays. I have years and years and years of history that paints that picture.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 8
  • Thank you (+1) 6

28 minutes ago, uninja said:

There is soooo much more to playing LB than rushing the QB. Good linebackers like Edmunds and Milano take away huge chunks of the field and force QBs to have to make much more difficult throws into much tighter windows. In the modern game an incompletion is almost as good as a sack, it's a play for no yards and a loss of down.

Incompletions don't kill drives.  Sacks do.  The Eagles had the most sacks.  Chiefs had the second most.  The Bears had the fewest.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Much more of a rational take than what we read on some of these threads about firing everyone and trading JA for a rookie contract.  Fix the OL and this team is fine.  I do not have much faith in Dorsey however.  Spencer Brown should be easy to replace.  Just sign anyone. 

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

7. The Terrell Bernard draft pick looms large

Bernard was a luxury pick that couldn’t see the field - even in garbage time.  He is not a replacement for Edmunds and going into Year 2, there doesn’t seem to be any role for him on the defense.  Given the talent that was available in round 3 last season and the fact Poyer is likely gone, it would have made more sense to draft a safety last season to take over.  There’s a chance Christian Benford could step in.   Either way it seems like the  3rd round selection could have been allocated much better.  

Definitely an issue with this pick.

Anyone know how Dylan Parhman (Raiders) or Sean Rhyan (Packers) played this year? They contribute at OG at all? Those would be the obvious "should have" picks at #89 overall.

edit: Add OG Logan Bruss (Rams) to that list too.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

1 hour ago, I am the egg man said:

Boy, someone has a thing for the local has been sports persons desperately hanging to be relevant at any level.

I'm not really sure where the notion of "has been" or "desperately hanging to be relevant" stuff comes from.

Joe B seems to be making a pretty decent living as the lead Bills reporter for The Athletic.

It's a quality website and he writes pretty good (decent at the very worst) pieces for it. 

Did he hit on your wife or something?

• Like (+1) 6

24 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Definitely an issue with this pick.

Anyone know how Dylan Parhman (Raiders) or Sean Rhyan (Packers) played this year? They contribute at OG at all? Those would be the obvious "should have" picks at #89 overall.

edit: Add OG Logan Bruss (Rams) to that list too.

Parham was an instant starter and up and down in terms of his play. I think he is going to be good.

Ryan didn't play much and then was busted and suspended for substance abuse. 

Bruss tore up his knee in the preseason and missed the entire year. 

With the need at safety I thought they should have taken Nick Cross or Kerby Joseph at the time. 

edit: The lost 4th round pick hurt them (the one they used to trade up for Elam so he could be scratched for Xavier Rhodes.) In that 4th, not only did the Ravens get Jordan Stout with our pick, right after that pick Spencer Buford and Cordell Volson went and were quality starting guards on playoff teams. Zach Tom also went to the Packers and he played up and down their line. All three could start at guard for us and would be an upgrade.  

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Parham was an instant starter and up and down in terms of his play. I think he is going to be good.

Ryan didn't play much and then was busted and suspended for substance abuse. 

Bruss tore up his knee int he preseason and missed the entire year. 

With the need at safety I thought they should have taken Nick Cross or Kerby Joseph at the time. 

Saw those two out there as well. To be fair to Beane, Safety wasnt a major concern last May because we had two starters in place, and two backups we had been developing for years.

No one knew we'd lose both starters to injury and then only one of those backups would be worth playing, and then HE went and died on us.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'm not really sure where the notion of "has been" or "desperately hanging to be relevant" stuff comes from.

Joe B seems to be making a pretty decent living as the lead Bills reporter for The Athletic.

It's a quality website and he writes pretty good (decent at the very worst) pieces for it. 

Did he hit on your wife or something?

And the outlet he writes for is effectively The New York Times' sports section now.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.