Keenan Allen could be a cap casualty according to reports

9 hours ago, Process said:

Yuck. 

Allen is solid. We need a playmaker.

If you think Keenan Allen isn’t good enough to play opposite of Diggs then we don’t have a WR problem, we have a QB problem. 

I don’t think we have a QB problem. Allen is more than good enough.

But I’ll say it for the millionth time; no team with a top 5 QB contract can afford a 1a/1b receiver duo unless you get production on a rookie deal.

Keenan Allen isn’t a viable option.

Early on the board raved about how Allen made guys like Robert Foster, Duke Williams, etc. but now the board is up in arms about how having Diggs, Davis, McKenzie, Beasley, Brown, Hodgins, Shakir isn’t good enough and we need to spend big money on a second WR. It gives me pause. I’m not sure what shifted but something did. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Mango said:

If you think Keenan Allen isn’t good enough to play opposite of Diggs then we don’t have a WR problem, we have a QB problem. 

But I’ll say it for the millionth time; no team with a top 5 QB contract can afford a 1a/1b receiver duo unless you get production on a rookie deal.

Early on the board raved about how Allen made guys like Robert Foster, Duke Williams, etc. but now the board is up in arms about how having Diggs, Davis, McKenzie, Beasley, Brown, Hodgins, Shakir isn’t good enough and we need to spend big money on a second WR. It gives me pause. I’m not sure what shifted but something did. 

I think on Keenan Allen, I'd like him but if you sign him at this stage you sign him as a big slot, use his crafty route running inside and you draft a speed guy outside. Let the speed guy run deep and try and soften teams up for Diggs and Allen to operate in those intermediate zones. Your deep guy can be your #3.... he can catch 35/40 balls at 16/17 yards per clip but if he is enough of a threat to force teams to respect the speed Diggs and Allen could eat underneath if Josh can just stay patient enough

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Mango said:

Scoring 10 points in a playoff game happened.

The red and blue sentences go together.  You're right that we need to hit on a second receiver on their rookie contract.  We thought we did that with Davis, and we were wrong. Hence the freak-out.  

It's the fact that Beane hasn't provided Allen with the "2 out of 3" that the other QB's he's facing off against have.

Burrow has an elite WR1 and an elite WR2.

Mahomes has an elite WR1 (Kelce) and an elite OL.

Allen has an elite WR1 and....

Knox, Davis, Shakir, MVS, Juju, Moore, Boyd, Hurst, Mixon, Singletary, Perine, Cook, Pacheco, McKinnon... throw all those guys in the pot.... each team has a similar supporting cast of guys, but it's very evident that Allen is missing the 2nd of 3 pieces (WR1, WR1a, OL) that Mahomes and Burrow have.

Allen is elite.  He also needs to be given weaponry and/or protection on par with those on his level. 

We can't really say he has a better defense, because the defense never shows up against those guys in the playoffs.  

Beane, thus far, has failed him.. and he's fighting his elite peer QB's with one hand tied behind his back. 

• Like (+1) 1

We definitely need to bring in more weapons for Josh but no on Keenan Allen. He commands too high a cap number for what we can expect from an oft-injured 30 year old wr, and in relation to our other team needs. I also dont like paying out big contracts to players over 30. We have a few players in that situation & I'd rather we get someone younger personally. Especially at positions where speed is important & youth is available elsewhere.

A team that commits big money to older players ends up being handcuffed by those contracts. We're seeing it already with our present cap situation.

Jakobi Meyers could work, DJ Chark or even Marquise Goodwin can be had cheap & both have speed.

If people are set on Keenan, i'd offer Marvin Jones Jr for a fraction of the cost. Not the potential upside of Keenan but relatively comparable wrs & production.

Keenan might work out on Madden but i dont know how we can address all our needs while acquiring him.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I think on Keenan Allen, I'd like him but if you sign him at this stage you sign him as a big slot, use his crafty route running inside and you draft a speed guy outside. Let the speed guy run deep and try and soften teams up for Diggs and Allen to operate in those intermediate zones. Your deep guy can be your #3.... he can catch 35/40 balls at 16/17 yards per clip but if he is enough of a threat to force teams to respect the speed Diggs and Allen could eat underneath if Josh can just stay patient enough

I like that plan, and if Jalen Hiatt is available he could be that speed guy. Fix the offensive line and we will be in great shape.

15 hours ago, Mango said:

The thing that shifted is that outside of Diggs those guys all suck 

On 2/6/2023 at 12:20 PM, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Multiple reports hinting Keenan Allen as a potential cap casualty due to Chargers cap situation.  Would be a solid WR opposite of Diggs, having two of the best route runners in the NFL.  Probably will get paid more than we want to pay if he's released, but an intriguing situation nonetheless. 

https://theathletic.com/4154672/2023/02/06/chargers-keenan-allen-salary-cap-casualty/

I'm pretty sure Beane at the press conference said the cap will be tight and not to expect big named free agents if I'm not mistaken so I'm going to take him up on his word.

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, foreboding said:

We need to draft OLine. If affordable, Keenan is sure handed and would be a huge upgrade.

I agree with the lineman, I don't trust Allen to stay healthy. Give me a younger cheaper option with more durability & great hands. I just hope this coaching staff stop with the distrust of rookies. 

15 hours ago, Mango said:

I think what shift it was expectations
Fans have been listening since the beginning of the season that the bills were the favorites to win the Super Bowl then they didn’t win it so now everybody sucks

16 minutes ago, arcane said:

The thing that shifted is that outside of Diggs those guys all suck 

you know it was interesting before this year. Gabe Davis didn’t suck.

McKenzie was a fan favorite

Dawson Knox was an up-and-coming tight end

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

I'm pretty sure Beane at the press conference said the cap will be tight and not to expect big named free agents if I'm not mistaken so I'm going to take him up on his word.

Not disputing your input; just putting this out there as newsworthy to chew on.  

On 2/6/2023 at 2:11 PM, Mr. WEO said:

I get why the Chargers want him off the books. I don't see how he signs anywhere for less than 15 mil a year.

Oh I see. Well 30 year old WRs who just missed 6 games in the previous season don't usually. And I never really expected that we would sign him. Just pointing out the team that does sign him sure won't be getting a $21 million cap hit. But yeah, anything we sign him for would certainly be cap issue - just like anybody we sign this offseason.

On 2/6/2023 at 6:15 PM, Warcodered said:

Could the Chargers move some of that hit down the line and extend him though?

Sure they can. Any team can always do that. But with a cap hit of $25.8 mil in 2024 I'm not sure just how much or how far they can move enough to make a difference - and whether they think it would be worth it. Which, I'm assuming, is why they are considering him a cap casualty cut in the first place.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.