Keenan Allen could be a cap casualty according to reports

4 hours ago, Tuco said:

Because he has a $15.5 million salary with the Chargers in 2023, plus some prorated cap bonuses for a total cap charge in 2023 of $21.7 million for the Chargers.

If he becomes a cap casualty and the Chargers cut him (not saying they will but whatever), they save $14.8 million in cap space in 2023. Allen becomes an unrestricted free agent who will. at the age of 30, presumably sign a new contract for a cap charge much lower than the $21.7 million the Chargers are strapped with.

Could the Chargers move some of that hit down the line and extend him though?

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I mean we won’t get that but we need to hit on a rookie contract WR that can develop into a top 2 WR. I don’t think we can expect a late 1 or 2 round WR to impact much next year.

We might have to sign a WR with talent that has upside. Someone in the $8-10 million range who has upside as a WR2 this upcoming season. A DJ Chark possibly. Make the 1st year cap hit low.

I would love for the Bills to target DJ Chark this offseason.

A more realistic option than Jakobi Meyers. I like Keenan Allen too, but he will more likely be too expensive.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

He's probably going to want at $15M per and may very well want a multiyear deal.  

That's exactly what we can't have and Beane has said as much for next season.

Signing high priced FA's is not a sustainable or a wise model for building a team.  

The Bills need to develop players through the draft that are on rookie contracts.

Just wishful thinking on my part. 

5 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

I would sign him. 

Don't need him to be a star, just need him to be a solid #2.

Also we need our coaches and medical staff to manage him in a way where he is healthy for the playoffs. 

I felt that was the plan for Von, it just sadly went south unexpectedly. 

This. We don't need Diggs 2.0 on the other side of him. We need a 1B or 2A, that is a big target, reliable hands and has an actual route tree. Gabe Davis fits perfect in the #3 as a deep threat. 

Edited by BillsFan2313

1 hour ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Out 12 games? Lol, that's more missed games than he's had in the last 6 seasons combined. That being said, a hard pass on Keenan, we don't need more old players. We need to get players who are younger and cheaper. 

He missed 7 with a hamstring last year. It was definitely sarcastic lol

Allen is going to get a bag of money.  He isn't coming to Buffalo for pennies.  

Plenty of contenders can use a WR like him who several easily have the cap space to pay him.  My fear is he will somehow end up in KC though, lets just hope that doesn't happen.  

He will have a lot of suitors if he becomes a cap casualty.  The funny part is that he so much better than Mike Williams who is hurt more often and wildly inconsistent.  If I was the Chargers, I would rather keep Allen and ditch Mike Williams.  I said immediately when they signed Mike Williams to that new contract they would regret it and it was gonna cost them other good players.  

5 hours ago, BBills_88 said:

Can we stop with the old band aides and continue to draft younger and healthier WR's 

We can and should do both, hes a top WR in the nfl, and the anti Davis. Dude will catch 5-10 balls game after game.

Gives Allen an outlet to get the ball out fast, keep the chains moving, attention of off Diggs. Have 2 guys methodically catching balls, THATS how Gabe gets to be the player hes best at being too.

• Like (+1) 2

His contract has a bit of a balloon salary in 2024 but for a trade, his 2023 number is not awful, I wonder if there is a potential trade out there.  Definitely not the Bills but someone could trade and commit to 15 million-ish for 2023 and they could waive him after for a 2.7M dead cap hit. Or possibly extend.

8 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Multiple reports hinting Keenan Allen as a potential cap casualty due to Chargers cap situation.  Would be a solid WR opposite of Diggs, having two of the best route runners in the NFL.  Probably will get paid more than we want to pay if he's released, but an intriguing situation nonetheless. 

https://theathletic.com/4154672/2023/02/06/chargers-keenan-allen-salary-cap-casualty/

Spend the money on the offensive line and get better at WR through the draft.

No person could argue that if your offensive line was top 10 or better, we would be in the SB. 

• Agree 1

Love him as a player.

Hate him as an injury risk.

There's too much on the line to risk not having a WR2 again come playoff time because Keenan Allen is injured when it matters.

8 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Prior to this year, he missed two games in five years.  Not advocating one way or the other, just putting it out there.

That's a pretty generous view of him. Here's the actual write-up:

https://www.draftsharks.com/fantasy/injury-history/keenan-allen/6678

Edited by Rigotz

17 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Love him as a player.

Hate him as an injury risk.

There's too much on the line to risk not having a WR2 again come playoff time because Keenan Allen is injured when it matters.

That's a pretty generous view of him. Here's the actual write-up:

https://www.draftsharks.com/fantasy/injury-history/keenan-allen/6678

Prior to 2022, your link says 3 games in the past five years - same thing I stated. I agree with all those stating he is injury prone.  I saw the news and thought it was worth sharing.  When healthy, he's still pretty damn good is all I am getting at, and I wouldn't want to pay him very much either.  However, if it was on the cheap it would be worth entertaining, but some team will overpay for him more than likely.  

1 hour ago, BillsShredder83 said:

We can and should do both, hes a top WR in the nfl, and the anti Davis. Dude will catch 5-10 balls game after game.

Gives Allen an outlet to get the ball out fast, keep the chains moving, attention of off Diggs. Have 2 guys methodically catching balls, THATS how Gabe gets to be the player hes best at being too.

We don't need to spend $15M on a guy to do that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.