Draft Stetson Bennett as our backup.

TC in St. Louis

18 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

Missed opportunity, Bennett is a steal in the 4th round

who cares about the degree thing. College football is a career now with the NIL rules. Bennett made $1.4 mill last season, he was making more money than any Georgia graduate at his age anyway

He ain't go there to play no school!

3 hours ago, The Wiz said:

5c5e9651-2c19-4c26-9cba-9141b7041332_tex

John Hancock?...it's Herbie Hancock!

36 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

who cares about the degree thing. College football is a career now with the NIL rules. Bennett made $1.4 mill last season, he was making more money than any Georgia graduate at his age anyway

Honestly that was probably a huge red flag. I mean we've got how many guys leaving college early who still manage to come away with a degree when they come to the NFL and somehow a guy that's there for 7 doesn't playing a position that's one of the most mentally focused positions on the field, how would that not be a huge hit to his scouting report?

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, SUNY_amherst said:

So you would have drafted a QB who wouldn't play a down in the 3rd round?  Glad you're not the GM. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, SUNY_amherst said:

Because he was interviewing for a position as professional football player, not as a chemistry lab instructor

For the position that not only has to learn a NFL offense but has to be the one that runs it. How do you even manage to go to college for 7 years to play football without getting a degree without being academically disqualified for stretches of it, I mean you'd have to fail classes right? How do you not get a degree with 7 years of passed classes?

20 hours ago, Warcodered said:

For the position that not only has to learn a NFL offense but has to be the one that runs it. How do you even manage to go to college for 7 years to play football without getting a degree without being academically disqualified for stretches of it, I mean you'd have to fail classes right? How do you not get a degree with 7 years of passed classes?

Usually by taking minimum load (12 hours) and then getting incompletes which do not count toward GPA but do count toward full load necessary to keep student loan lenders from hassling you to repay.  A number of people did that in college when I went to UB.

11 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Usually by taking minimum load (12 hours) and then getting incompletes which do not count toward GPA but do count toward full load necessary to keep student loan lenders from hassling you to repay.  A number of people did that in college when I went to UB.

does that keep you academically eligible for sports though?

seems you’d have tons of athletes doing this 

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

does that keep you academically eligible for sports though?

seems you’d have tons of athletes doing this 

UB did not have a lot of scholarships when I went to college and were in different leagues. I knew a player however who was on team red shirted first year while he took classes to raise his education level to college level (he got acceptable grade in SAT but his high school's standard was low).  He then took 5 years of college courses taking only 12 hours per semester with some classes changed to "audit" or "incomplete" and kept his scholarship from a club (may have been Rotary) which paid books + tuition + housing. He was a graduate student / team manager 7th year and did some student teacher assistant work.   This was enough for him to play sports and to not be sent back to home country on student visa. Occasionally he was academically ineligible until he raised his grades.  He was on more than one sports team and sometimes on two in a year.  I met him when he was in my summer ESL class.  I was later paid to do tutoring for him but not sure where the money was coming from but it was not him.  He graduated and went home to teach and be a sports coach.

Disadvantage is you are still only eligible for same number years per sport.

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

The only qualifications to be a backup QB for the Bills -

1. Are you friends with Josh Allen?

2. Do you golf?

3 - kinda terrible at actually playing qb

and Bennett didn’t get a degree after 15 years in college??? From Georgia???? That is absolutely a huge red flag. How is that even possible?

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

There's a new qualification for 2023: Wingman. 

Wingman for Josh Allen in Buffalo has to the best job ever: “Hi ladies. That’s my friend Josh. He’s really rich, really good at sports, tall, and just had his heart broken.”

almost as effective as my polar bear opener. Almost. 😉

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/17/2023 at 3:13 PM, Warcodered said:

What was Cam Newton's degree in?  Brady?  Lamar Jackson? Jim Kelly?

I don't understand your point.  

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

What was Cam Newton's degree in?  Brady?  Lamar Jackson? Jim Kelly?

I don't understand your point.  

Did they go to college for 7 years and not receive a diploma? 

I don’t think anyone is saying he needs a degree to have success in life, it’s just the fact that 7 years while remaining eligible to play and no degree is a little odd. 

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

Did they go to college for 7 years and not receive a diploma? 

I don’t think anyone is saying he needs a degree to have success in life, it’s just the fact that 7 years while remaining eligible to play and no degree is a little odd. 

Plenty of players enter the league with no diploma.  At that level, they aren’t there for the education, but for the exposure that will get them drafted.  This has been true for many years. No diploma. Bogus, unearned diploma. There’s no difference.  This is suddenly “odd”? It’s how it works.

it’s certainly “odd” to consider any of this “a red flag”…

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Plenty of players enter the league with no diploma.  At that level, they aren’t there for the education, but for the exposure that will get them drafted.  This has been true for many years. No diploma. Bogus, unearned diploma. There’s no difference.  This is suddenly “odd”? It’s how it works.

it’s certainly “odd” to consider any of this “a red flag”…

It’s weird if nothing else. No professor was willing to sign off on the national champion QB to get his degree after 7 years of school?

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.