Just had a earthquake in Buffalo (WNY)

Buffalo716

Sheesh,  i heard about this on the national news this morning. Is there another small city in the U.S. that gets more publicity for weird/bad sh*t than Buffalo?!?

It’s bad enough the region has to name all the devastating sports losses over the years.

The epicenter was near the corner of Mineral Springs and Indian Church Roads in West Seneca. 

What made this so widespread is that it was only 3km down. The further down an earthquake, the more localized it is. 3km is extremely shallow for an earthquake.

It felt like something hit your house because the fault lines here are not long, and tectonic plates will generally slam together, instead of sliding along each other which will cause the rolling, 30-second earthquakes. I felt an earthquake exactly like this in Culver City, CA in 2003. That one was only a 3.1. The biggest earthquake I felt was on January 1st, 2002. That was a 4.8 and the resort we stayed at in Anza Borrego, CA was directly on top of the epicenter, 8 miles down. It sounded like my wife at the time and I were having really awesome sex with the way the headboard was hitting the wall. 

• Shocked 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Nah, The Bengals already took care of the zombies in Buffalo

McDermott wishes the quake happened the morning of our playoff game with Cinc'y. Then he could use that as the reason he didn't have the team ready to play the Bengals.

• Eyeroll 1

5 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

I live close to the epicenter in West Seneca. My bedroom is above my garage. Heard a loud "booming" noise. I thought a car or maybe a deer smashed into my garage door. Very weird noise, lasted a few seconds.

Yea I heard a massive noise and my bed literally was literally shaking up and down 

I thought a massive vehicle ran into my house or something… And a minute later I realized it must’ve been an earthquake

And I was like holy *****

7 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I lived maybe a quarter mile from a quarry on como park. They would blast everyday at noon. This was quicker, stronger and louder. 

My father’s property backed up to the rock quarry in Bellevue.

Spent many days dangling my feet off the edge lol

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/6/2023 at 7:34 AM, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

I think it was Wacka taking a dump.

That was  on Saturday. No really, I plugged up the toilet on Saturday.  I was still awake laying in bed because I had gotten up to pee a few minutes earlier.  It was 2.1 miles south of me.I'm on the second floor. lasted a few seconds and the windows rattled. I had lived about 20 years in the SF area, so I knew what it was immediately and didn't get out of bed. 

In  California, I lived 2 miles from the Calavaras fault  (~20 % chance of having a big one in the next 20 years). There were microquakes which were unfelt every couple of days.  The biggest I felt were two 4.2 quakes about 2 miles away under the Chevron HQ. One hit at 4 AM and woke me up. Could tell which direction it came from as it rattled pictures in my room, then the  glass shower doors and then the pictures in the hall.  The other was in the afternoon and I was on the floor  (slab on grade) in my living room. The whole building moved back and forth probably about 5 feet  (like the glider you would sit on on the porch) for about 15-20 seconds.  The patio door vibrated and there were hairline cracks  in the upper corners of the frame around it.  After another one there that was probably a 3.5, iI went outside and saw the street lights (all metal) still vibrating. For smaller ones, I would see pencils in a cup on my desk  move or the venetian blind  cords sway.

On 2/6/2023 at 6:27 AM, Buffalo716 said:

Holy crap my house was just shaking 

Just is relative.  Please include date in subject.

10 hours ago, ChasBB said:

So, must we now consider seismicity when the new stadium is constructed?

There will be a campaign that domes are more structurally sound in earthquakes by the d00mers.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.