Just had a earthquake in Buffalo (WNY)

Buffalo716

19 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Were you going to shoot the survivors of the plane crash?

mad gran torino GIF

Have had many break in attempts. Any bump in the night the shotgun comes with me. 

7 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Worse.  'Donner Party'.  

I do need to go shopping...

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Haha (+1) 1

I have been through several earthquakes. The closer you are to the epicenter the stronger you will have felt it.  My house sits on rock so for me to feel one it has to be fairly close proximity. Mostly the windows will rattle is all here so far. Knock on wood.

there is a thread in Off the Wall also.

Edited by muppy

Wife heard something, said she thought I dropped over in the house, she had a funny look when she woke me.

Got up and walk around inside and out, nothing, thought all is good here, went back to bed. No problems here.

Edited by I am the egg man

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Turkey just had a 7.8 magnitude one this morning and it collapsed buildings and killed at least 1300 people from the reports...

They have a lot of major ones there...remember my Mom telling me when she was there they had one and she thought she was going to die because the entire room shifted to one side of the house. My Dad grew up in Istanbul and told me some crazy stories too...

That’s horrible (today) and crazy (parent story).  If you have any family still there I hope they are okay.  

I always thought your user name was a reference to the candy bad “Big Turk” from Canada.  

22 minutes ago, muppy said:

I have been through several earthquakes. The closer you are to the epicenter the stronger you will have felt it.  My house sits on rock so for me to feel one it has to be fairly close proximity. Mostly the windows will rattle is all here so far. Knock on wood.

there is a thread in Off the Wall also.

where do you live?

We had one in Pgh about 10 years ago, I felt nothing as I was driving, but my wife was in a big building and it was swaying all over (as they are designed to do from wind, etc).  

3 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

That’s horrible (today) and crazy (parent story).  If you have any family still there I hope they are okay.  

I always thought your user name was a reference to the candy bad “Big Turk” from Canada.  

Yeah, they have them pretty often there...nobody injured that I know of, it was more central southern Turkey, most of my family still there lives near Istanbul. Nope...Big Turk is because I am Turkish(my Dad is from Istanbul) and I have been a gym rat for a while so I have some pretty decent size...it was actually a nickname given to me by a friend that stuck so now a lot of my friends call me that...

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Sounded like a plane was falling out of the sky. Never heard that noise before an earthquake. Like in movies when bombs or a plane is gonna crash. I thought a plane crashed into my house. I grabbed my med kit and shotgun and ran outside in my underwear. Was prepping myself for what horrors I was gonna see when I got outside.  Could hear my neighbors screaming. The people driving down hertel prob thought I was nuts. 

That must have been quite a sight!!! 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, I'm Spartacus said:

I live close to the epicenter in West Seneca. My bedroom is above my garage. Heard a loud "booming" noise. I thought a car or maybe a deer smashed into my garage door. Very weird noise, lasted a few seconds.

There was a low 3 point something earthquake in WNY many years ago, I think in the '80s some time.

I was in my house in the T of T and I have always described it exactly as you did.

Back then, people thought there was a gas main explosion and fire trucks were dispatched to find the fires, etc...until people realized it was an earthquake.

It sounded and felt like a giant oak tree got cut down and slammed into the outside of the house.

• Agree 1

Yeah we felt it and heard it here. I didn’t know what it was at first. I heard a loud noise and the whole house shook. I thought a big machine was driving down the street or a plane was flying super low over head at first. Then realized it was an earthquake a minute or two later.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.