My dad told me not to hate, but I hate Kirk Herbstreit..

Mister Defense

9 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

did you like the old one? theyre unwatchable. nhl is always a fun one, skills comp is a fun event every year.  the only nfl allstar thing id have any interest in is actually madden, but a 7m clip. its just pointless

No, I did not like the old one either.  But at least it was still the game of football, if a diminished one.  It had the same structure, field and, overall, plays.  Weak, yes, but still football.

That was not football last night.  So maybe that is why they chose old Kirk? 

They knew how bad this was going to be, knew people also would tune out quickly once they also knew the village idiot was announcing, and were hoping people would not see much of that debacle.  It will not be that next year or almost no players will attend.

Likely: high ratings at the outset, as people checked out this new pro bowl 'game', and then soon, dismal.

Can anyone criticize Allen and any others for not showing up to that mess?

13 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

I thought I would turn on the strange new pro bowl to see what it was like, if worth watching.

But then...I heard his voice, and very soon knew it had to be him...

Speaking of Huntley, he said he had the ability to "spin it" and  soon after that,  referred to the "big fullback".  

These were in his very first sentences, these cliches and clutter, the inane, useless drivel that caused me to turn down the sound when he spoke on Thursday Night Football this year and to not watch some games.

And, if he holds to form, and he always does, not enabling the dramatically better Al Michaels to get a word in edgewise all year, he will feel the need to FILL almost every second of the broadcast tonight with similar inane, useless jargon, all in his monotone, humorless voice.

Worst color commentator I have ever heard in my life; cannot believe this guy gets away with this crap.  Writer David Halberstram rightfully calls Herbstreit "the village idiot"

A deal breaker for me tonight! I turned it off.

Honestly I had the same opinion about him until I listened to his interview on pardon my take. He won me over. Give it a listen. 

13 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

I thought I would turn on the strange new pro bowl to see what it was like, if worth watching.

Speaking of Huntley, he said he had the ability to "spin it" and  soon after that,  referred to the "big fullback".  

These were in his very first sentences, these cliches and clutter, the inane, useless drivel that caused me to turn down the sound when he spoke on Thursday Night Football this year and to not watch some games.

And, if he holds to form, and he always does, not enabling the dramatically better Al Michaels to get a word in edgewise all year, he will feel the need to FILL almost every second of the broadcast tonight with similar inane, useless jargon, all in his monotone, humorless voice.

Worst color commentator I have ever heard in my life; cannot believe this guy gets away with this crap.  Writer David Halberstram rightfully calls Herbstreit "the village idiot"

It took Kirk Herbstreit to make you turn off that god awful pro bowl flag football.

What did you expect, real football analysis and insight into that crap.  Of course it was cliche driven what meaningful comments were you expecting?  I actually watched for about 5 minutes, it was even worse than I thought.  Every attention ***** from the Mannings to Ray Lewis to Snoop Dog i saw in that quick span of time.

6 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

It took Kirk Herbstreit to make you turn off that god awful pro bowl flag football.

What did you expect, real football analysis and insight into that crap.  Of course it was cliche driven what meaningful comments were you expecting?  I actually watched for about 5 minutes, it was even worse than I thought.  Every attention ***** from the Mannings to Ray Lewis to Snoop Dog i saw in that quick span of time.

The thing is it was just like his commentary on regular NFL games--that is my point. 

Not looking for meaningful, but for something even a bit original--and in this case, humorous.  But those are not part of his repertoire.  He just babbles on and on.

14 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

1,000% agree and I'm a Buckeyes fan... he's not very good and he heaps praise on Clemson and Georgia so much that even Buckeyes fans tune him out now.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Like him or not Herbstreit is a rising star in the announcing game. He is well established in CFB and now he seems to be heading that way in the NFL.

I don't believe he is a rising star at all. In fact, I would be surprised if Michaels worked with him again next year.

Just because someone inexplicably gets ahead in their profession does not mean that they are good at what they do.  It is unfortunate, but often politics play a bigger role than competence.

I would say it was just the other way around this year on Thursday Night Football: Al had to do all the talking about that weirdo Herbstreit would often not say A DAMNED THING For a while....it was weird.

If you had Al alone and he was being honest with you, he'd tell you he doesn't like this pairing and that it makes his job a lot harder.  

I would honestly expect Herbstreit to be gone for next, it was that bad.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.