If Frazier returns, how much will your enthusism die?

The Red King

23 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

How is the number two ranked defense in the NFL “the worst talent he’s ever put on the field?  

The only players we were missing were Hyde (who was out most the season) and Von (who missed the last half the season) and yet we still finished the season as the #2 ranked defense despite those guys missing so much time.

So the defense we put on the field against Cincy was pretty much the same defense that finished ranked 2nd in the NFL during the regular season.  

So no disrespect, but this just isn’t accurate.  And you didn’t even bother to address the fact his defense has crapped the bed the last 3 postseasons.  

Poyer wasn’t healthy. White isn’t near himself. I don’t think it’s a talented defense. I think we have a defense that plays a system good. Ask them to win man vs man and they can’t do it. That’s even when fully healthy. You need players that can win matchups in the playoffs. Obviously.

Name me one defensive player under McDermott that you were always confident they’d win their matchups? Tre White before injury? Maybe. Poyer, Hyde, and White are all zone players. They play well in the system, at least when healthy.

We can’t ask a single DB on this roster to man cover. Maybe Elam, but that’s a lot to ask of a rookie.

Now let’s talk DL? Who is winning on the DL? Who do you trust to make a play? Who has actually made plays in the playoffs?

The one thing I can criticize coaches over is developing defensive linemen. It’s just not happening. It’s hard for me to believe that Beane missed on all those DL. 

• Like (+1) 2

I know it's not the popular consensus right now, especially given how the D played last time we saw them, but I still don't think Frazier's the problem, personnel is.

However, my enthusiasm will die a lot more if: 1) we spend another 1st round pick on a defensive player or 2) we don't invest significantly in the O-line (whether via draft, trade or FA).

Frazier coming back would only moderately temper excitement, but people act like we can only improve from here. That's not true...we can get worse, especially with a scheme change (think Rex Ryan ruining that great 2014 defense). 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

What does that tell you? Miami B team OL also.

The defensive line was terrible in the playoffs. You’re blaming Leslie Frazier for that? 

Ummm yep... let's rush four against 5, a TE and a back and we be fine. Sure that'll work every week.....

Edited by nosejob
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Poyer wasn’t healthy. White isn’t near himself. I don’t think it’s a talented defense. I think we have a defense that plays a system good. Ask them to win man vs man and they can’t do it. That’s even when fully healthy. You need players that can win matchups in the playoffs. Obviously.

Name me one defensive player under McDermott that you were always confident they’d win their matchups? Tre White before injury? Maybe. Poyer, Hyde, and White are all zone players. They play well in the system, at least when healthy.

We can’t ask a single DB on this roster to man cover. Maybe Elam, but that’s a lot to ask of a rookie.

Now let’s talk DL? Who is winning on the DL? Who do you trust to make a play? Who has actually made plays in the playoffs?

The one thing I can criticize coaches over is developing defensive linemen. It’s just not happening. It’s hard for me to believe that Beane missed on all those DL. 

Ok, then I don't get your point...you are saying its the coaches, but yet you want to give the Defensive Coordinator a pass?  Not trying to be difficult here, but how does that even make sense?

Also, we were the #2 ranked Defense in the NFL with Tre missing half the season and not being himself.  And he was slowly getting better, meaning Tre in the playoffs was a little better than the Tre in regular season where we were the #2 ranked defense.  We were the #2 ranked defense with all those problems you said above.  We were the #1 ranked defense last year. 

Yet come playoff time, for the third year in a row, Fraziers defense was exposed and abused by either KC or Cincy.  Both teams who would go on the very next week in each of those 3 years to lose their very next game by their next opponent with a LOWER ranked defense than us shutting them down.  

So again...how are you giving Frazier a pass here?  His defense has allowed an average of 36 points and almost 500 yards of offense per game in the last 3 playoff losses to KC and CIncy.  And like I said, those very same KC and Cincy teams literally lost their very next game after clobbering us by seeing their offense get shut down by worse defenses.  

Frazier needs to go, and its not even a question in my personal opinion.  As if the choke job of 13 seconds and OT wasn't bad enough...his defensive game plan was horrid against Cincy (in both the partial game and playoff game).  Playing literally 10 yards off those talented WR's on critical 3rd and 4 while literally everyone else presses their WR's was literally inexcusable.  I would have fired him in the tunnel as we walked off the field after that stupidity.  And according to Tim Graham, McD was screaming to change this when he saw them lined up like that before the snap and wasn't happy with the call.  

Fool me once...shame on you.  Fool me twice...shame on me.  Fool me three times, then I am the fool.  Frazier's defense has crapped the bed in 3 straight postseason losses.  And that is 100% why despite fielding the #1 and #2 ranked defense the last 2 years, even with all the injuries we had, he is literally getting zero Head Coaching interviews despite not even being under contract right now.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We learned how much Damar Hamlin put a defensive unit on his back.  We were littered with injuries and the biggest question mark is, is Ed Oliver going to stay in Buffalo?  Not really a game changer, not being the face of the defense, and generating zero pressure.  He’ll never be Kyle Williams. It he could make for good draft day trade bait.  My hopes as always will be to win a Super Bowl.  If we get eliminated it’s more Coaching wasting Josh in his prime.  

5 hours ago, Rebel101 said:

Bro I was born in 87 my father is a Bills fan. N I understand we’ve had some ***** teams and ***** games but our defense has always atleast been tough. They are soft by design 

How can you argue that "our defense has always atleast been tough" when just a decade ago the Bills lost 5 games by 24 or more points in 2010, 4 games by 27 or more points in 2011, and 4 games by 20 or more points in 2012?  I'm not sure what your definition of "tough" is, but getting whipped badly in a quarter of its game doesn't fit in my definition of defensive "toughness". 

On 2/5/2023 at 5:24 PM, The Red King said:

Title sums it up.  Honestly, I feel very little excitement or enthusiasm.  I don't see us getting over the hump.  I may not even watch some (or all) of the games until the playoffs (if we even make it).

I had enthusiasm last off-season, despite 13-seconds.  I thought the team could get there.  But from what I've seen from the team, I find I have lost all faith in our D schemes.  The only way we pull this off is if Allen puts up 40-50 points in a game.

Anyone else feeling this way?

Get ready for that enthusiasm to die.  Leslie’s coming back 👏👏👏👏👏

Don't worry, the Jets have some space on their bandwagon 

5 hours ago, Trock said:

Why wouldn’t Frazier return?  

Because over-emotional Bills fans don’t want him to 

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

Because over-emotional Bills fans don’t want him to 

Rank them in order:

Frazier.  Anarumo.  Spagnuolo. 

Unless Frazier is #1 on that list for you, tell me why it makes sense to bring him back after 4 straight years of bad playoff defense? 

They’ve shown up against Lamar Jackson, Mac Jones and Skylar Thompson.   

They’ve been bad against Mahomes (2), Burrow and Rivers. 

Meh against Watson. 

Surely the resume of someone who warrants a new contract with this organization…. Obviously. 

Edited by SCBills

6 hours ago, SoTier said:

How can you argue that "our defense has always atleast been tough" when just a decade ago the Bills lost 5 games by 24 or more points in 2010, 4 games by 27 or more points in 2011, and 4 games by 20 or more points in 2012?  I'm not sure what your definition of "tough" is, but getting whipped badly in a quarter of its game doesn't fit in my definition of defensive "toughness". 

You could argue that this year’s teams defense was tough compared to the years. They only lost three like regular season games by a total of eight points.

Of course, then it all fell apart in the playoffs

7 hours ago, JohnNord said:

They also have a better defense.

Just saying.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

You could argue that this year’s teams defense was tough compared to the years. They only lost three like regular season games by a total of eight points.

Of course, then it all fell apart in the playoffs

As it has the past three years.

This is a defense built to stop bad offenses. Put it up again good one and it crumbles.

20 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

They also have a better defense.

Just saying.

As it has the past three years.

This is a defense built to stop bad offenses. Put it up again good one and it crumbles.

Yeah, I’m not buying that. We faced some good offenses during the regular season.

no defense is going to hold down a good office for an entire game. There’s not really any teams in the league that do that.

Once again, they couldn’t carry it over into the playoffs though that’s an issue

On 2/5/2023 at 10:30 PM, I am the egg man said:

Henry the VIII wouldn’t wait this long for heads to roll under his watch.

Something to be said for 16th century justice in todays modern NFL.

Neither would Howie Roseman, just saying 

14 hours ago, FireChans said:

Lmao

Bottom 5

10 hours ago, SCBills said:

Rank them in order:

Frazier.  Anarumo.  Spagnuolo. 

Unless Frazier is #1 on that list for you, tell me why it makes sense to bring him back after 4 straight years of bad playoff defense? 

They’ve shown up against Lamar Jackson, Mac Jones and Skylar Thompson.   

They’ve been bad against Mahomes (2), Burrow and Rivers. 

Meh against Watson. 

Surely the resume of someone who warrants a new contract with this organization…. Obviously. 

Wait you think the defense showed up against Skylar Thompson? He was a 3rd string QB who the Jets didn’t let get a TD. 

On 2/6/2023 at 4:58 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

Y'all make it sound like theyve never won a playoff game.

Sure, there are some tough outs in there. Guess what, losing in the playoffs will always feel worse because you are over-hyped.

We also have 4 playoff WINS. Holding the Ravens to 3 points. Absolutely shutting down the Patriots.

I'm not a big Frazier proponent. But yall are out of your minds this offseason.

To bad we don’t play Mac Jones and the 1 deminsional Lamar every playoff game . We can win some titles then. 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

To bad we don’t play Mac Jones and the 1 deminsional Lamar every playoff game . We can win some titles then. 

Just looked at some sack numbers for 20-22.  Over those 3 years we averaged 40 sacks per season. Those are very pedestrian numbers. How does McFrazier expect to generate enough qb pressure to justify keeping this ridiculous tampa2 zone?  It's literally impossible with that little pressure. Then look at our sack/ pressure rate in the playoffs.  It's terrible. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.