If Frazier returns, how much will your enthusism die?

The Red King

While the defense isn't the strength of the team, I think a few tweaks to the down and distance awareness, a focus on tackling, and not having Hyde and Miller injured, it will be good enough. 

The team needs the offense to not lay a 10 point egg in the playoffs.  Josh needs to stop throwing red zone interceptions.  And they should draft as many bpa offensive linemen as possible.  Obviously if an absolute stud/immediate upgrade for another position falls to them, take it.

Expecting we keep Frazier … What IF all of a sudden they adjust their defensive approach to a more aggressive and unpredictable style? My concerns are that we’d still find a way to come up empty and heartbroken, because we’re always “learning” and a day late and a dollar short on figuring things out.  This is “the process”, keep learning, keep getting better, and it eventually “works out”. We’re punch drunk on “the process” while other great teams know what it takes and just plow over us 

Edited by drummernut74
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

Discouraging? What’s discouraging is the 13 seconds. What’s discouraging is the defensive schemes he has cooked up when it really matters. 

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

Title sums it up.  Honestly, I feel very little excitement or enthusiasm.  I don't see us getting over the hump.  I may not even watch some (or all) of the games until the playoffs (if we even make it).

I had enthusiasm last off-season, despite 13-seconds.  I thought the team could get there.  But from what I've seen from the team, I find I have lost all faith in our D schemes.  The only way we pull this off is if Allen puts up 40-50 points in a game.

Anyone else feeling this way?

My favorite meme in Bills land is thinking OC/DC are the biggest problems, no matter who the players are.

Did we suck in 2012 because Chan was the HC/OC or was it because we had crappy QB's?

Did our defense suck in 2012 because of Dave Wannstedt at DC or was it because we had crappy players?

If you think a new DC = 2000 Ravens with this defense, or Sean Payton = 2013 Broncos with this offense, you aren't paying attention to the league.

Most teams have fine coordinators. There are a few teams with horrific coordinators but those teams, again, usually aren't top 5 as units in the regular season.  They also are usually saddled with crap players.

IMO, Dorsey and Frazier both have their issues. Dorsey can't find an identity, falls in love with the big play etc etc. Frazier gets a little conservative at times (although, to be fair, it's hard to be aggressive with backup CB's who need backup S help all the time).

There is no "hire this coordinator and AJE will be good."  That coordinator does not exist.  There is also no "hire this coordinator and Roger Saffold will stop being the biggest tub of goo playing LG since Vlad Ducasse."

40 minutes ago, Rico said:

I haven’t had a real whipping boy on the Bills since Russ Brandon was canned, so I can get excited about bashing the ***** out of McD and Frazier if they don’t wake up. :thumbsup:

Thats because Jamison Crowder didnt get to play enough this year...

• Agree 1

I watched every Bills game in the Jauron/Edwards era.

We now have a GM, HC, and QB who've turned the Bills into perennial contenders, and you think I'm gonna be less-than-enthused about them because the DC who runs a consistent top-5 defense (in spite of a slew of injuries) is coming back? Not a chance. I'm all in, just like I was last season.

8 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I watched every Bills game in the Jauron/Edwards era.

We now have a GM, HC, and QB who've turned the Bills into perennial contenders, and you think I'm gonna be less-than-enthused about them because the DC who runs a consistent top-5 defense (in spite of a slew of injuries) is coming back? Not a chance. I'm all in, just like I was last season.

Do you not think that expectations change as the data changes? Based on what you said, would you be satisfied if we made the playoffs each each for the next 10 years, but get bumped after each wild-card round?

At this point there’s no reason to think he won’t be back. In the back of my mind I’ll just know the next season probably has an expiration date. That’s very upsetting. I can’t imagine a situation where anything gets better with Fraizer involved. The guy runs the same thing every week every drive regardless of down or distance. If the guys we have on the back end weren’t incredible, we’d be one of the worst defenses in football. It’s embarrassing that a top end team trots out a pre season defensive scheme. All you can hope is the guy somehow leaves on his own.

At this point there’s no reason to think he won’t be back. In the back of my mind I’ll just know the next season probably has an expiration date. That’s very upsetting. I can’t imagine a situation where anything gets better with Fraizer involved. The guy runs the same thing every week every drive regardless of down or distance. If the guys we have on the back end weren’t incredible, we’d be one of the worst defenses in football. It’s embarrassing that a top end team trots out a pre season defensive scheme. All you can hope is the guy somehow leaves on his own.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

He's coming back & so is Dorsey. Dorsey I think is more of a concern. I'm not enthused, but I'll withhold final Judgement until I see what our final Roster moves look like. Need some upgrades.

Dorsey is less of a concern because he's young and just had his first year. Leslie's been coaching for 35 years and for at least the last 15 his defense has been what it is today. get used to more of the same.

It's not just Frazier though, even if he is a massive part of it. I've been convinced that this team won't win a championship under McDermott unless it's just flat out gifted to us through upsets/injuries to the best teams in the league. He's a nice guy who creates a culture of nice guys and they'll have the kind of success that nice guys get, while the teams that go hard take eat their lunch year after year.

We're Marty Schottenheimer's Chargers with less talent..

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, The Red King said:

Title sums it up.  Honestly, I feel very little excitement or enthusiasm.  I don't see us getting over the hump.  I may not even watch some (or all) of the games until the playoffs (if we even make it).

I had enthusiasm last off-season, despite 13-seconds.  I thought the team could get there.  But from what I've seen from the team, I find I have lost all faith in our D schemes.  The only way we pull this off is if Allen puts up 40-50 points in a game.

I will be in 17 year mold hoping for a few good wins against good teams.  Both coordinators should be fired

I feel enthusiasm that some of the Bills Mafia will jump off and make room for others.

More important to me is what the Bills do in Free Agency and the draft.  The majority of their FA signings and draft picks have to be on the offensive side of the ball.  A real effort to improve their O line and upgrade the WR group has to happen for me to stay excited about next season. 

5 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

2?  More 

Yep.  Squandering a 16 - 0 lead late in the 3rd quarter against Houston and almost squandering a 24 - 10 lead against Indy early in the 4th quarter should be placed alongside the 13 seconds debacle & their no show in the snow against Cincy. And let's not forget the AFC Championship game in which the D let the Chiefs go up and down the field at will on the way to giving up 38 points.

• Agree 3

54 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Dorsey is less of a concern because he's young and just had his first year. Leslie's been coaching for 35 years and for at least the last 15 his defense has been what it is today. get used to more of the same.

It's not just Frazier though, even if he is a massive part of it. I've been convinced that this team won't win a championship under McDermott unless it's just flat out gifted to us through upsets/injuries to the best teams in the league. He's a nice guy who creates a culture of nice guys and they'll have the kind of success that nice guys get, while the teams that go hard take eat their lunch year after year.

We're Marty Schottenheimer's Chargers with less talent..

No D was holding Cincy to less than the measley 10 pts Dorsey's O out up. The D kept us in the Miami game the week before (when Dorsey called to Go routes to Davis back to back when we needed to run clock), the D & 2 kick returns beat the Pats. The D held long enough for the O to get it together in a number of games this year & held despite getting put on short fields bc of turnovers by the O. Dorsey schemes no one open, there are no picks, rubs, very few quick slants. Don't know why we think he's going to improve, he didn't get better as the season went on, it actually looked like they got worse. By the time he does our window could be closed. Point is, Frazier has had good D's & dealt w/ a lot of injuries, Dorsey has never shown he can do it for a season, & his group was relatively healthy when they put up 10 pts. & While you may be right about McD, they way he handled the Hamlin situation absolutely buys him at least another season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.