PFF's Top 100 likely free agents....Athletic top 150 free agents......other free agent articles

BADOLBILZ

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2023-free-agent-rankings-free-agency

Surprised to see they think Poyer only gets 2 years $8.5M per season but it makes sense given how busted up he was this season.

They seem to believe a lot of the massive crop of RB's available get franchised..........which is the relatively low $10M per because they are just runnin' bax, afterall.

The people dying to expend the Bills first round pick on a RB or Guard check out some of those low contract estimates.............you don't use first round picks on positions that command such modest dollars in UFA.    

Added 2/16.......... 15 players who could be cut and become free agents:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-aaron-rodgers-joe-mixon-among-15-players-who-could-be-on-new-teams-via-trade-as-cap-casualty/

Also CBS top 25 offensive free agents:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-free-agency-2023-ranking-top-25-offensive-free-agents-as-qbs-dominate-list-of-players-likely-available/

CBS top 25 defensive free agents:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-free-agency-2023-ranking-top-25-defensive-players-as-eagles-trio-among-10-best-available-including-no-1/

Edmunds #9 behind a slot CB/S in Chauncey GJ

https://www.nfl.com/news/2023-nfl-free-agency-unheralded-players-who-should-be-kept-off-the-market-by-the

RB D'Onta Foreman is an interesting potential bargain option for Bills from the "who should be kept off market" list 

Best team fits?:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/35673514/2023-nfl-free-agency-best-team-fits-top-50-available-players-free-agent-landing-spots-new-deals

Ben Powers to Bills.   Jordan Poyer to Patriots.

Here is The Athletic top 150 free agents list:

https://theathletic.com/4242104/2023/02/27/nfl-free-agent-rankings-list/

Edmunds 14th

@chongli added PFT's top 100 free agents:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/27/nfl-top-100-2023-free-agents-lamar-jackson-derek-carr-geno-smith-top-the-list/

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 8

19 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

#28 for me.

Have to say as well I think I'd do Tremaine at that price. 

I'm on board with change on defense so I'm inclined to let Edmunds walk and see if we can't become more of a team that funnels the run to the middle than outside and in the process get better at rushing the passer............but I know there is potential for Edmunds to get a lot better still.............and he could sign a very long contract at his age which would allow for a couple years of cheap cap hits.    It's a lot more tempting around $15M than $18M-$20M.

Lot's of players on that list that are short term that I'd take.

The guy not on that list that I'm hoping comes free is Calais Campbell.   Just a personal favorite and good culture/physicality fit for a ring chaser.  

And I do wonder if they will be an interested party on one of those inexpensive old pass rushers this time around if they don't think Miller will be back to 100% early next season.

19 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Yes, please. How about 3yrs $24M? Would be great as our slot WR and backup TE.

Not a fan of Gesicki as a player. Invisible at times and terrible blocker. Rather go cheap there since we paid knox and I think Morris is fine as a #3. Would rather look to the draft for cheap cost controlled player who is better all around.

Edited by billieve420
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

Not a fan of Gesicki as a player. Invisible at times and terrible blocker. Rather go cheap there since we paid knox and I think Morris is fine as a #3. Would rather look to the draft for cheap cost controlled player who is better all around.

Spending $10M on a TE that can't block makes no sense to this team.

21 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

Agreed. He dissapears for entire stretches of the season. Bills fans think of him well because he has had a few good games against us.

He is not very good, honestly.

I'd rather spend $20 million on 2 good guards than pay Edmunds $15 or $16 million and have a few million left.

Get 2 quality guards in FA, draft 2 O-lineman (and a receiving weapon with elite speed or good speed and size and ability to win 50/50 balls) and I'm happy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

I'd rather spend $20 million on 2 good guards than pay Edmunds $15 or $16 million and have a few million left.

Get 2 quality guards in FA, draft 2 O-lineman (and a receiving weapon with elite speed or good speed and size and ability to win 50/50 balls) and I'm happy.

The problem is that the available guards all project as short term fixes...........none of those G's are players like Edmunds who could conceivably play at a top 10 MLB level......and maybe ascend to All Pro level in that time.......for 5-7 more years.    

If that is the case you can backload the cap hits on Edmunds deal and keep going back to him for re-structures for a few years etc.. because he projects to have value in 5+ years.

The guards are all your typical warty, short term fixes.   Mostly guys who ascended to league average starter for the first time in their walk years.    I am down with adding those players rather than using premium picks on them...........but they might be trash after a couple years and then if you haven't front loaded their deals to some extent they become a real burden.    That's the Bills problem........they can't front load deals.     

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Off that list, here are my thoughts: 

I think Poyer and Edmunds are our no. 1 targets. Outside of those two, I can't see us working in that top 50. 

Germaine Pratt makes a ton of sense as a Tremaine replacement. He's not as big as Tremaine, but makes up for it in instincts. He is a former safety turned linebacker and I just really always liked his game. His RAS was elite coming out as well. He is going to be cheaper than Tremaine. 

If Tremaine goes I think they also look at Drue Tranquill. I think Pratt is better, but Tranquill makes plays and will be cheaper than both those guys. he is a little older and has a bit less of a track record from injuries. 

A guy I have not seen a ton of people talking about is Juan Thornhill. A former corner turned safety who is very long, fast, and tackles. His RAS score was big time running 4.42. He has been a really solid contributor in KC since day 1 and the projection here is 5.5 million per year? I'll take it. The Bills were all over him pre draft but drafted Cody Ford instead :(.  

Finally I talked about it a lot on here, but I think their OL target should be Connor McGovern of the Jets. Plays center or guard. he is still young with a nasty disposition. Sign him, put Bates at LG and stick McGovern next to Brown. He is a former linemate of Mitch Morse and could potentially replace him if he decides to retire at some point. PFF has him at 7.5 per year. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The problem is that the available guards all project as short term fixes...........none of those G's are players like Edmunds who could conceivably play at a top 10 MLB level......and maybe ascend to All Pro level in that time.......for 5-7 more years.    

If that is the case you can backload the cap hits on Edmunds deal and keep going back to him for re-structures for a few years etc.. because he projects to have value in 5+ years.

The guards are all your typical warty, short term fixes.   Mostly guys who ascended to league average starter for the first time in their walk years.    I am down with adding those players rather than using premium picks on them...........but they might be trash after a couple years and then if you haven't front loaded their deals to some extent they become a real burden.    That's the Bills problem........they can't front load deals.     

I hear you.

But given that the O-linemen we draft, even in the first three rounds, may not start year one, what's the alternative? I'm not being sarcastic here but I'd like to know how you would fix the O-line issue with this team? 

For example, ould you spend double the money ($15 million plus) on one premium guard or tackle? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.