PFF's Top 100 likely free agents....Athletic top 150 free agents......other free agent articles

BADOLBILZ

12 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

My point was really about the abundance of safeties on the list. There are posters on this board actually calling for a first round safety. 

Perhaps this would please you, who knows?

Does 14 safeties on a list of 100 guys really constitute in an “abundance” that manifests itself in discounted salaries?  I guess we’ll all find out.  We likely need to get a safety somewhere and it is an important role on this defense.  Having Hyde helps in 2023 but how much longer will he play?  For the long term we really need to add more than one safety considering Johnson disappointed and Hamlin has obvious questions surrounding him.  I’m all for finding our safety of the future in the 6th round, but finding a star at any position in the 6th works for me.  

I also take into consideration that our pick is not very high…..27 I think.  I’m for whoever is the best combination of immediate impact and long term viability at any position.  Is that more likely to come at some positions than others?  I suppose.   Personally, I don’t have a visceral documented hatred for any position group.  If we ended up taking a guy that was the next Anthony Munoz at 27 I’d be elated.  I’d also be thrilled if it were the next Ronnie Lott.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Relating to the free agents that might interest/align with the Bills from the SB yesterday:

My initial impression was that Isaac Seumalo played a tremendous game last night at guard for the Eagles.

@MrEpsYtown mentioned Juan Thornhill as a cheaper-than-Poyer safety option that the Bills really liked in the draft..........he seemed at blame for the first bomb to AJ Brown where McDuffie ended up without help.    Was perfectly positioned on a later deep pass he defensed.   Not sure who blew the coverage on the wide open Devonta Smith play on the Eagles last scoring drive. 

• Like (+1) 1

Ian Rapoport on Twitter: "Expect #Raiders QB Derek Carr to receive significant interest when his release is official at 4 pm today, but the veteran won’t be in a rush to sign. He’s already visited the #Saints – who are still in the mix – and don’t be surprised if more visits follow before a decision." / Twitter

• BADOLBILZ changed the title to PFF's Top 100 players expected to hit free agency (with contract predictions) +CBS projected cuts
On 2/6/2023 at 12:13 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm on board with change on defense so I'm inclined to let Edmunds walk and see if we can't become more of a team that funnels the run to the middle than outside and in the process get better at rushing the passer............but I know there is potential for Edmunds to get a lot better still.............and he could sign a very long contract at his age which would allow for a couple years of cheap cap hits.    It's a lot more tempting around $15M than $18M-$20M.

Lot's of players on that list that are short term that I'd take.

The guy not on that list that I'm hoping comes free is Calais Campbell.   Just a personal favorite and good culture/physicality fit for a ring chaser.  

And I do wonder if they will be an interested party on one of those inexpensive old pass rushers this time around if they don't think Miller will be back to 100% early next season.

Campbell's long in the tooth. If we want Boogie to develop he can only do so with playing time.

On 2/6/2023 at 3:16 PM, Billl said:

Serviceable Guards grow on trees.  If you’re targeting an all-pro caliber player in FA, that’s one thing, but there’s simply no excuse for having to pay $8-$10 million for a JAG.  There are 10 guys out there right now waiting to be drafted on day 3 who can provide a similar level of play.  When you’re up against the cap, you’d better be able to find those guys.  Beane’s been successful throwing money at problems for the past 4 years, but that money is running out quickly.  He’s got to start stacking wins in the draft immediately, or there’s going to be one hell of a mess to clean up in 2024.

Yeah Beane has to hit on quality "rookie deal" olineman this April.  Unless there's an amazing RT at a bargain contract. 

• BADOLBILZ changed the title to PFF's Top 100 likely free agents(with contract predictions) +CBS projected cuts + CBS top 25's O/D
On 2/16/2023 at 9:52 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

Yeah Beane has to hit on quality "rookie deal" olineman this April.  Unless there's an amazing RT at a bargain contract. 

Beane needs to start nailing free agency,  period.

In the two UFA periods before he took over as GM the Bills were limited participants in UFA and absolutely hit it out of the park finding Lorenzo Alexander and Zach Brown on $2M deals and then adding Poyer and Hyde on value deals they enormously outplayed.

Beane has been very bad in UFA.    They gotta' evaluate UFA's better.   No more Rodger Saffold and OJ Howard kinda' decisions.

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/6/2023 at 12:07 PM, MrEpsYtown said:

Off that list, here are my thoughts: 

I think Poyer and Edmunds are our no. 1 targets. Outside of those two, I can't see us working in that top 50. 

Germaine Pratt makes a ton of sense as a Tremaine replacement. He's not as big as Tremaine, but makes up for it in instincts. He is a former safety turned linebacker and I just really always liked his game. His RAS was elite coming out as well. He is going to be cheaper than Tremaine. 

If Tremaine goes I think they also look at Drue Tranquill. I think Pratt is better, but Tranquill makes plays and will be cheaper than both those guys. he is a little older and has a bit less of a track record from injuries. 

A guy I have not seen a ton of people talking about is Juan Thornhill. A former corner turned safety who is very long, fast, and tackles. His RAS score was big time running 4.42. He has been a really solid contributor in KC since day 1 and the projection here is 5.5 million per year? I'll take it. The Bills were all over him pre draft but drafted Cody Ford instead :(.  

Finally I talked about it a lot on here, but I think their OL target should be Connor McGovern of the Jets. Plays center or guard. he is still young with a nasty disposition. Sign him, put Bates at LG and stick McGovern next to Brown. He is a former linemate of Mitch Morse and could potentially replace him if he decides to retire at some point. PFF has him at 7.5 per year. 

You are welcome to him.  He does not play fast, is NOT an especially good tackler.  He's a run of the mill starting caliber S in the NFL.  And he hasn't been a ball hawk.  He's ALWAYS a step late in coverage playing the over deep.  

3 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

You are welcome to him.  He does not play fast, is NOT an especially good tackler.  He's a run of the mill starting caliber S in the NFL.  And he hasn't been a ball hawk.  He's ALWAYS a step late in coverage playing the over deep.  

That's kind of the point............the Bills don't need to be the #1 or #2 ranked defense..........they just need to be adequate like Cinci and KC and put more of their focus on the offensive side of the ball.

• BADOLBILZ changed the title to PFF's Top 100 likely free agents and other free agent lists/articles......ESPN "best team fits"

Looking more likely that Barkley will test FA.

Dov Kleiman on Twitter: "#Giants RB Saquon Barkley is now considered likely to hit free-agency There is still a “gap” in negotiations between the team and Barkley, per @nypost Giants arent likely to pay Saquon more than $12.5M a year and have "little interest" in placing the $10.1M franchise tag on him https://t.co/W0QE5tMO5A" / Twitter

24 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Smart on the Giants. Paying a RB that much is criminal. Dime a dozen position. 

Tough spot for them though. With the exception of Jones and Barkley they didn't have much on offense last year. I would expect they go WR in Rd 1 this draft.

On 2/18/2023 at 4:05 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Beane needs to start nailing free agency,  period.

In the two UFA periods before he took over as GM the Bills were limited participants in UFA and absolutely hit it out of the park finding Lorenzo Alexander and Zach Brown on $2M deals and then adding Poyer and Hyde on value deals they enormously outplayed.

Beane has been very bad in UFA.    They gotta' evaluate UFA's better.   No more Rodger Saffold and OJ Howard kinda' decisions.

Beasley and John Brown were good signings. They also got one quite good year out of Daryl Williams (no more than that, though). I'd also argue that Da'quon Jones' season this year was elite. He was hugely missed vs Cincy.

Just now, ScottLaw said:

You can’t pay a RB what Barley is asking for. 

Jones is the tough call. He’s a middle of the road starter. I’d be willing to let him walk as well unless he takes some sort of team friendly deal. If I’m the Giants I am still targeting a QB if a potential great one is available because long term with Jones won’t translate to consistent winner IMO.

Jones I could see getting 25M - 30M per year. I wouldn't go higher. He wants 45M per year and that is just crazy. He will still get a big pay day. The Giants can place the tag on him if they can't work out a deal. That is also a lot of money for an RB but Barkley was the main focus of their offense so it will be interesting to see how this plays out. I wouldn't mind Barkley on the Bills but not at the price he is asking for.

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Beasley and John Brown were good signings. They also got one quite good year out of Daryl Williams (no more than that, though). I'd also argue that Da'quon Jones' season this year was elite. He was hugely missed vs Cincy.

Beasley and Brown were good signings at market rates.    Williams was a bargain for one year.    They got a solid season out of Kevin Johnson at CB in 2019.   That's the beginning and end of the value he's acquired in UFA.    Less than 1 good value per offseason for a team that has been very aggressive in UFA.

Daquon Jones is a solid starter but the market for his services is more like what he got in Carolina in 2021,  $4M per year.   $14M for 2 was a big number.   Yeah, he was a lot better than Star Lotulelei and the drop-off in that outlier game against Cinci to another failed UFA, tweener 1-tech/3-tech Tim Settle, was significant.   But that is definitely not a reflection that Jones is an elite player.    There wasn't actually a big elevation in his play last season,  he's always been a very solid block absorber.    

Beane was once again extremely generous with the contracts to guys with questionable tread remaining like Saffold, OJ Howard and Jordan Phillips.........that latter two had limped their way down to what should have been league minimum offerings.        

His track record in UFA is undeniably terrible.   

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.