PFF's Top 100 likely free agents....Athletic top 150 free agents......other free agent articles

BADOLBILZ

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm on board with change on defense so I'm inclined to let Edmunds walk and see if we can't become more of a team that funnels the run to the middle than outside and in the process get better at rushing the passer............but I know there is potential for Edmunds to get a lot better still.............and he could sign a very long contract at his age which would allow for a couple years of cheap cap hits.    It's a lot more tempting around $15M than $18M-$20M.

Lot's of players on that list that are short term that I'd take.

The guy not on that list that I'm hoping comes free is Calais Campbell.   Just a personal favorite and good culture/physicality fit for a ring chaser.  

And I do wonder if they will be an interested party on one of those inexpensive old pass rushers this time around if they don't think Miller will be back to 100% early next season.

Agreed about Campbell. Would you rather have Edmunds at the high price he's listed at or the much cheaper Lavonte David for a the two-year deal he's listed at?

19 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Not sure who is doing their contract projections, but I think they are way off on a lot of these.    If I am Josh Jacobs and my agent gets me the exact same contract as Tony Pollard and Saquon Barkley I am firing him.    

I think the assumption was that all three were getting tagged and that is the RB number.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The problem is that the available guards all project as short term fixes...........none of those G's are players like Edmunds who could conceivably play at a top 10 MLB level......and maybe ascend to All Pro level in that time.......for 5-7 more years.    

If that is the case you can backload the cap hits on Edmunds deal and keep going back to him for re-structures for a few years etc.. because he projects to have value in 5+ years.

The guards are all your typical warty, short term fixes.   Mostly guys who ascended to league average starter for the first time in their walk years.    I am down with adding those players rather than using premium picks on them...........but they might be trash after a couple years and then if you haven't front loaded their deals to some extent they become a real burden.    That's the Bills problem........they can't front load deals.     

Serviceable Guards grow on trees.  If you’re targeting an all-pro caliber player in FA, that’s one thing, but there’s simply no excuse for having to pay $8-$10 million for a JAG.  There are 10 guys out there right now waiting to be drafted on day 3 who can provide a similar level of play.  When you’re up against the cap, you’d better be able to find those guys.  Beane’s been successful throwing money at problems for the past 4 years, but that money is running out quickly.  He’s got to start stacking wins in the draft immediately, or there’s going to be one hell of a mess to clean up in 2024.

4 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

I hear you.

But given that the O-linemen we draft, even in the first three rounds, may not start year one, what's the alternative? I'm not being sarcastic here but I'd like to know how you would fix the O-line issue with this team? 

For example, ould you spend double the money ($15 million plus) on one premium guard or tackle? 

There are no premium guards on the market..........which is unusual..........there usually are.    I don't see them making a high dollar free agent move at tackle with their prized draft pick Spencer Brown still viewed as ascending.

Seumalo is maybe the top of the market guard this year...........and he's just now ascended to being a quality starter for the first time........in year 7......going into his age 30 season. 

I expect they will sign someone like Will Hernandez.......or a more athletic option in the same price range if they insist on trying to be an outside zone blocking unit.......... and then go into the draft looking for at least one OL in the first 2 days.     

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There are no premium guards on the market..........which is unusual..........there usually are.    I don't see them making a high dollar free agent move at tackle with their prized draft pick Spencer Brown still viewed as ascending.

Seumalo is maybe the top of the market guard this year...........and he's just now ascended to being a quality starter for the first time........in year 7......going into his age 30 season. 

I expect they will sign someone like Will Hernandez.......or a more athletic option in the same price range if they insist on trying to be an outside zone blocking unit.......... and then go into the draft looking for at least one OL in the first 2 days.     

Thanks. So if no guarantees of a rookie starting I'm guessing you won't be shocked if we only have one new starter on the O-line this year. Not the overhaul many want or expect.

• Agree 1

A guy to look out for IMHO is LB Azeez Al-Shaair of the 49ers.  He could be a much cheaper Edmunds replacement.  This is assuming we don't resign Edmunds.  

And if I am Beane, I am looking at all the money and picks spent on the defense that netted the #1 and #2 ranked defenses the last 2 years yet still was abused in the postseason by KC and Cincy.  Both of which went out to lose their very next games and saw their offenses shut down by lower ranked defenses.  

So at this point...if they insist on rolling with Frazier (foolishly) one more time, Beane might as well cut costs and sign a guy who can do a lot of things Edmunds does but for a lot cheaper.  Then let Edmunds walk and go spend on OL and playmaker help for the offense instead. 

• Agree 2

On 2/5/2023 at 4:30 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2023-free-agent-rankings-free-agency

Surprised to see they think Poyer only gets 2 years $8.5M per season but it makes sense given how busted up he was this season.

They seem to believe a lot of the massive crop of RB's available get franchised..........which is the relatively low $10M per because they are just runnin' bax, afterall.

The people dying to expend the Bills first round pick on a RB or Guard check out some of those low contract estimates.............you don't use first round picks on positions that command such modest dollars in UFA.     

I cant take anything serious when i see Geno at #2 with this:

Contract Projection: Four years, $150 million ($37.5M per year); $112.5 million total guaranteed

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Contract Projection: Four years, $150 million ($37.5M per year); $112.5 million total guaranteed

That is nuts. But what's crazier is that some team looking to compete will likely pay somewhere in that ball park. Unbelievable.

1 hour ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I was thinking the same thing. I stopped looking at the list when I saw Daniel Jones’s numbers. If any GM pays that much for them two they deserved to be fired. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.