UPDATED - v3.0 (FINAL) on p.13 - Gunner's 2023 Mock Draft

GunnerBill

Here it is folks, version 1 of my 2023 mock draft and it is a two rounder.

Version 3 now up on P.13: https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/245904-updated-v20-on-p6-gunners-2023-mock-draft/?do=findComment&comment=8371448

- - - ROUND 1 - - -

1 – Chicago Bears – Jalen Carter, Defensive Tackle, Georgia

There is a fair amount to unpick with this pick. Firstly, do the Bears stick with Justin Fields? My strong sense is they will. Then the question becomes is there a team wanting to jump Houston for their Quarterback of choice? Likely there will be, but for now I move to question three… if not Jalen Carter or Will Anderson? Positional value would point you towards Anderson but remember Ryan Poles, the Bears GM came from Kansas City where their best pass rusher is Chris Jones from the interior. Therefore, for now, I edge towards Carter being the pick.

2 – Houston Texans – Bryce Young, Quarterback, Alabama

The Texans are going to take a Quarterback, the question is which one? I think if DeMeco Ryans is going to bring a Shanahan style offense with him that probably suits Bryce Young as a sound decision maker and accurate distributor the best.

3 – Arizona Cardinals – Will Anderson, EDGE, Alabama

The Cardinals, like the Bears, have needs right across the defensive line with JJ Watt’s retirement. Anderson, to me, is a better fit as a stand up edge rusher in a 3-4 than he is playing with his hand in the dirt as a 4-3 end. Anderson wasn’t quite as dominant in 2022 as he was in 2021 but he is still a legitimate top 5 talent.

4 – Indianapolis Colts – Will Levis, Quarterback, Kentucky

Whoever the Colts hire as Head Coach they need to get out of their cycle of damaged goods veterans at Quarterback and finally land a successor to Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck. The early buzz is that Chris Ballard is enamored with Levis’s size and tools. There is some inaccuracy and recklessness on the film that concerns you but he is likely the highest ceiling Quarterback in the class.

5 – Seattle Seahawks – Tyree Wilson, EDGE, Texas Tech

If I was running the Seattle Seahawks I think I would take a Quarterback despite Geno Smith’s career year. However, I don’t expect them to do that. They addressed offensive line last year and I think their focus in this draft will switch to defensive line where Tyree Wilson fits the profile of the bigger ends that John Schneider and Pete Carroll have traditionally likes.

6 – Detroit Lions – Joey Porter Jnr, Cornerback, Penn State

The NFL Draft just keeps falling the Lions way at the moment. Two years ago they were able to land a franchise offensive tackle, last year they were able to land a franchise pass rusher and now they get their choice of corners. There are three or four contenders to be the first corner off the board but I am giving them Joey Porter Jnr from Penn State who had 11 pass breakups as a junior this past year.

7 – Las Vegas Raiders – Peter Skoronski, Offensive Tackle, Northwestern

At this stage who knows what the Raiders plan is at Quarterback? They could certainly go that direction here but I suspect that they would prefer a veteran. Which likely narrows their choice down to offensive line or corner. Skoronski is the highest floor offensive lineman in the class but I’m not sure whether he has the length to be an elite blindside protector. The Raiders have Kolton Miller at left tackle so could afford to slot Skoronski in at right tackle or guard.

8 – Atlanta Falcons – Myles Murphy, EDGE, Clemson

I am not really sure what the plan is for the Falcons. Arthur Smith is about to go into year three, they still have no discernable identity and no Quarterback.  Maybe they pick a signal caller here but they also have needs on the defensive line and Myles Muprhy would be an immediate upgrade to their pass rush. His length makes him a natural scheme fit.

9 – Carolina Panthers – CJ Stroud, Quarterback, Ohio State

The Panthers (Frank Reich’s new team), like the Colts (Frank Reich’s old team), have tried the approach of free agents and trade acquisitions since losing a former #1 overall pick at Quarterback. I feel like they will select one in the first round of this draft and they are a very real candidate to try and trade up. Here I have them taking Stroud who requires some technical refinement to succeed in the pros but has an intriguing set of tools to work with.

10 – Philadelphia Eagles – Christian Gonzalez, Cornerback, Oregon

Rarely can a team have been in such a strong position as the Eagles, in the Superbowl, with two first round picks to come in the following draft. They don’t have a ton of critical free agents either, but James Bradberry is one they do have, and their star corner on the opposite side Darius Slay is 32. So I expect this pick to be a corner and Gonzalez’s length makes him look like a natural fit in Jonathan Gannon’s defense.

11 – Tennessee Titans – Broderick Jones, Offensive Tackle, Georgia

Taylor Lewan has been a fantastic servant to the Titans since they made him their first round selection in 2014 but is nearly 32, has been hurt two of the last three seasons and saves them almost $15m against the cap to cut. I think they might decide to move on and Jones is exactly the big physical mauler I can see them loving.

12 – Houston Texans – Jordan Addison, Wide Receiver, USC

Whichever Quarterback the Texans take at #2 they need to give that guy some weapons. This choice, a bit like my choice of Bryce Young, is made on the basis that they want to try and run a Shanahan style stretch zone version of the west coast offense which stretches the field horizontally and gets creative in its use of playmakers. Addison isn’t an archetypal NFL #1 receiver, but could he be a version of Deebo Samuel or Brandon Aiyuk? Yes.

13 – New York Jets – Paris Johnson Jnr, Ohio State

The Jets offensive line seems to have been in a state of flux for years. One presumes they are about to give up on the Mekhi Becton experiment but Alijah Vera-Tucker was playing at an all-pro type level before getting hurt last season. Plug Johnson in beside him at left tackle and at least one side of that line is solidified.

14 – New England Patriots – Devon Witherspoon, Cornerback, Illinois

At times last year Bill Belichick was playing four safeties in his secondary, which tells you all you need to know about what he thinks of his current crop of corners. Witherspoon has been shooting up draft boards as people have started to dig into his film and his ability to hold up in man on island will have Belichick salivating.

15 – Green Bay Packers – Michael Meyer, Tight End, Notre Dame

If you are going to run that Shanahan style scheme then you are going to need a tight end or two and that tight end better be able to block as well as catch. Both Robert Tonyan and Marcedes Lewis are impending free agents. If neither are back than Michael Meyer is the perfect fit for Matt LaFleur, whoever he has under center.

16 – Washington Commanders – Cam Smith, Cornerback, South Carolina

Another team who seem to have no obvious plan at Quarterback. They could gamble on Anthony Richardson out of Florida at this spot but I wonder if with a lame duck owners, and a lame duck head coach, the more obvious move isn’t to shore up the porous secondary and let the inevitable new regime in 2024 take a swing on a Quarterback. In which case Cam Smith is the best defensive back left on the board.

17 – Pittsburgh Steelers – Bryan Bresee, Defensive Tackle, Clemson

For the Steelers this pick should be “best trenches player available.” For a team traditionally renowned for its toughness and grit they have become a bit of a soft touch in recent years capable of being bullied at the line. Bresse can slide right into the spot that Larry Ogunjobi, a free agent, has occupied.

18 – Detroit Lions – Bijan Robinson, Running Back, Texas

Remember what I said about the draft keeps falling for the Lions? Here we are again. Sure, positional need would suggest Bijan Robinson is a bit of a luxury pick at #18 but having addressed their major need earlier in the round they can afford the luxury of taking the best player available. Robinson is a dynamic player and adds to a scary looking offense core with Amon-Ra St Brown and Jameson Williams.

19 – Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Anthony Richardson, Quarterback, Florida

This is a bit of a punt, but while the Buccs defense needs a lot of work if they can get their offensive line healthy it isn’t the worst situation to drop a rookie Quarterback into. I think Richardson will find his way into the first round given the number of unsettled Quarterback situations, maybe he makes the short trip from Gainsville to Tampa.

20 – Seattle Seahawks – Brian Branch, Safety, Alabama

The Seahawks got great production out of rookie corner Tariq Woolen in 2022, but relying on a guy who plays with his aggressive style means you are going to need good safety play behind him. Brian Branch is a versatile defender who can play outside, in the box or as the deep guy and would improve the Seattle secondary.

21 – Los Angeles Chargers – Quintin Johnson, Wide Receiver, TCU

For all the pre-season talk about their offensive weaponry the Chargers found it difficult to push the ball down the field in 2022. Keenan Allen has been a terrific player, but he missed time hurt and turns 31 during draft weekend. Mike Williams continues to a decent contested catch guy but doesn’t offer much else. Quintin Johnson is a prototypical NFL #1 receiver and he would allow Allen to make a Larry Fitzgerald esque late career move into the slot.

22 – Baltimore Ravens – Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Wide Receiver, Ohio State

The Ravens obviously have to decide what to do with Lamar Jackson and that might affect what they do in the draft. However, whoever the Quarterback is needs a better wide receiver corps than the oft injured Rashod Bateman and Devin Duvernay to throw to. Smith-Njigba might do his best work from the slot but he is still a significant upgrade in Baltimore.

23 – Minnesota Vikings – Kelee Ringo, Cornerback, Georgia

The Vikings secondary was a problem at the end for Mike Zimmer and it fared no better following his departure. Ringo is excellent in zone coverage and has instincts that you look for at the next level, though he will need to improve his ball skills to maximise his talents.

24 – Jacksonville Jaguars – Anton Harrison, Offensive Tackle, Oklahoma

The Jags came on strong down the stretch and the work they have done on their defense started to pay dividends. Jawaan Taylor has never lived up to his pre-draft hype at right tackle and is an impending free agent, so it is possible the Jags take his successor here in Harrison who demonstrated impressive pass protection skills.

25 – New York Giants – Trenton Simpson, Linebacker, Clemson

The Giants need receiver help but I expect them to be aggressive in that regard in free agency and the value doesn’t really match up with that need in any event here. Therefore I can see them going to the defensive side of the ball where Wink Martindale’s overachieving unit desperately needs an infusion of athleticism at the second level and Simpson is a demon in pass coverage.

26 – Dallas Cowboys – Antonio Johnson, Safety, Texas A&M

The Cowboys haven’t quite got the secondary right and it just so happens that the best player available on the board at this point is a defensive back. Johnson is every bit the modern NFL safety. Excellent in coverage. Rangey, with great instincts and a sound tackler. His ball skills could be improved but otherwise he has the lot.

27 – Buffalo Bills – Rashee Rice, Wide Receiver, SMU

This is not a great spot for the Bills. The true 1st round grades at offensive line and wide receiver are exhausted, and the two options at safety are now off the board. In this scenario I think they’d be open to a trade back or maybe they’d be willing to forgo positional value for a guard but possibly the smarter play is to take a shot at a receiver. Rashee Rice is probably the most natural fit in their offense of the guys that remain.

28 – Cincinnati Bengals – Dalton Kincaid, Tight End, Utah

Hayden Hurst did a nice job as a one year band aid at tight end for the Bengals and maybe they bring him back if they decide not to extend Tee Higgins. Otherwise they could draft a replacement and in Kincaid they find another dynamic receiving weapon for Joe Burrow.

29 – New Orleans Saints – Drew Sanders, Linebacker, Arkansas

The Saints have San Francisco’s original first rounder in the most convoluted way possible (traded to Miami – for a pick from Houston in exchange for Laremy Tunsil - to take Trey Lance, then Miami traded to Denver for Bradley Chubb and eventually the Broncos sent it to the Saints for the rights to Sean Payton). New Orleans has got great value out Demario Davis who they signed as a free agent in 2018 (a 1st or 2nd team all pro in each of the past 4 seasons) but he is now 34 and as such they need a replacement. Sanders originally went to Alabama as a 5 star recruit edge rusher but converted to a mike linebacker before transferring to Arkansas where had an outstanding 2022 season.

30 – Kansas City Chiefs – Jalin Hyatt, Wide Receiver, Tennessee

The Chiefs traded away their big play threat when they sent Tyreek Hill to the Dolphins last spring. Their offense didn’t exactly “miss a beat” but the mid-season trade for Kadarius Toney suggests to me they’d like to bring that cheat code style speed back into the building. Hyatt isn’t a first round talent for most teams but in the Hill role in the Chiefs offense I think he could be.

31 – Philadelphia Eagles – Lukas Van Ness, EDGE, Iowa

I am not sure where Van Ness will go and the consensus on him is a bit all over the place. He is a typical Iowa “big end”. I think he has a bit more natural explosion than someone like AJ Epenesa coming into the NFL but he has the same room for further development in terms of pass rush moves. That said, he sort of fits the profile of a Howie Roseman defensive lineman. Tough, powerful, and relentless hustle. Feels like a natural replacement for Brandon Graham who may be heading for retirement.

- - - ROUND 2 - - - 

32 – Pittsburgh Steelers – Deonte Banks, Cornerback, Maryland

The Steelers have a need at corner with Cam Sutton a pending free agent. Ahkello Witherspoon and Levi Wallace are serviceable placeholders but they are not the long term answer. Deonte Banks has the right mix of zone and man coverage skills for the Steelers’ hybrid scheme.

33 – Houston Texans – Isaiah Foskey, EDGE, Notre Dame

The Texans starting edge players last year were Ogbonnia Okoronkwo who is a free agent and Jerry Hughes who will be 35 by the time the 2023 season begins. They desperately need some youth at the position and Foskey, while raw, has a high ceiling as a 4-3 pass rusher.

34 – Arizona Cardinals – O’Cyrus Torrence, Guard, Florida

The Cardinals have seven pending free agents across the offensive line, including both starting guards. Torrence would be a day 1 starter at either spot.

35 – Indianapolis Colts – Josh Downs, Wide Receiver, North Carolina

The Colts added Alec Pierce at receiver in the second round last year and he had an okay rookie year as the #2 to Michael Pittman. Downs would be another solid addition to that room with the ability to operate from the slot for whoever the next Colts Quarterback might be.

36 – Los Angeles Rams – Cam Phillips III, Cornerback, Utah

The Rams could go in almost in any direction with this pick. Their roster is getting close to the re-set point. Cam Phillips is one of my favourite payers in the class and his performance against Jordan Addison last season suggests to me he can, despite his size, play on the boundary even though he may be best at nickel.

37 – Seattle Seahawks – Ika Siaka, Defensive Tackle, Baylor

The Seahawks run defense was pretty porous in 2022, so much so that I considered giving them the massive Siaka with their second first round pick to plug the gap at 1 tech. If he gets to this spot he makes too much sense to pass.

38 – Las Vegas Raiders – Jahmyr Gibbs, Running Back, Alabama

The Raiders might yet decide to bring back Josh Jacobs, but if they don’t they need a running back. Josh McDaniels has always had a power run element to his offenses even when Tom Brady was his Quarterback so maybe he replaces one Alabama prospect with another?

39 – Carolina Panthers – Jordan Battle, Safety, Alabama

The Panthers roster is actually pretty solid aside from Quarterback, but with Jeremy Chinn now playing as more of a big nickel they could stand to upgrade at safety. Battle is an aggressive player in coverage with a reasonable amount of scheme versatility.

40 – New Orleans Saints – Zay Flowers, Wide Receiver, Boston College

The Saints made a start to the overhaul of their receiving room last year when they selected Chris Olave who had a cracking rookie year. Flowers can operate from the slot or as a move receiver on the outside and would replace the free agent Jarvis Landry.

41 – Tennessee Titans – Kayshon Boutte, Wide Receiver, LSU

And here comes the run on receivers. The Titans needed help at receiver before they traded away AJ Brown. Treylon Burks had some injury issues as a rookie but came on down the stretch and is talented. Boutte looked like a superstar as a freshman and hasn’t quite hit the heights since but the raw ability is there.

42 – Cleveland Browns – John Michael Schmitz, Center, Minnesota

The Browns got fantastic value out of Ethan Pocic on a 1 year contract at center in 2022. However, he played so well that he is likely to cash in during free agency and with Bitonio, Teller and Conklin all on big deals Cleveland probably can’t drop more money on the offensive line. Schmitz is easily the best center in the class and would give them solid cheap labour.

43 – New York Jets – Noah Sewell, Linebacker, Oregon

The Jets have two starting linebackers about to hit free agency and the other, CJ Mosely, is about to turn 31. Sewell has a certain amount of positional flexibility but I think probably plays the strong side in Robert Saleh’s defense as a rookie before sliding into the middle when Mosely moves on.

44 – Atlanta Falcons – Tuili Tuipolotu, Defensive Tackle, USC

Back to back picks spent on the defensive front for the Falcons as they go with Tuipolotu to compliment Myles Murphy and provide some interior pass rush. He would be their starting 5 tech on day 1 and has the versatility to kick outside in 4 man fronts.

45 – Green Bay Packers – Christopher Smith, Safety, Georgia

The Green Bay Packers spend more day 1 and 2 picks on defensive backs than any team in the league over the past decade (9 in 10 years). With Adrian Amos an impending free agent, don’t be surprised if they make that 10 in 11.

46 – New England Patriots – Dawand Jones, Offensive Tackle, Ohio State

Isaiah Wynn has become another draft bust in New England after a promising start to his career and they will be looking for a starting tackle. My pro comp for Dawand Jones is actually Trent Brown who will start for the Pats on the blind side. Huge man, bit raw, but with potential.

47 – Washington Commanders – Cody Mauch, Offensive Tackle, North Dakota State

The Commanders need help up front, especially with expiring contracts at guard. A lot of people believe Mauch, a road grading mauler of a college left tackle, will be best suited to guard in the NFL given length concerns.

48 – Detroit Lions – Darnell Washington, Tight End, Georgia

The Lions traded away TJ Hockenson for a 2nd round pick (not this one but pick #55) and they may well look for his replacement in this round. Washington strikes me as more of a Dan Campbell type player than Hockenson. Tough, physical blocker and a reliable if unspectacular pass catcher.

49 – Pittsburgh Steelers – Nathaniel Dell, Wide Receiver, Houston

I know what people will say, “the Steelers don’t need another receiver!” But their model is to take them on day 2 or early day 4 almost every year. Dell is small and projects as strictly slot only at the next level but Pittsburgh were willing to take Calvin Austin with a similar profile in the 4th last year.

50 – Tampa Bay Buccaneers – DJ Turner, Cornerback, Michigan

The Buccs have multiple pending free agents in the defensive backfield and not much cap room to address them. That includes starting nickel corner Logan Ryan who is not expected to return so DJ Turner might be an immediate replacement.

51 – Seattle Seahawks – Jack Campbell, Linebacker, Iowa

Seattle didn’t replace Bobby Wagner last year, but they get the opportunity to do so here. Campbell is a bit of a throwback in the respect of being a physical tone setter in the middle of the field but he would be a good compliment for Jordyn Brooks' skillset.

52 – Miami Dolphins – Luke Musgrave, Tight End, Oregon State

Mike Gesicki played on the franchise tag last year but he has always been a poor scheme fit for what Mike McDaniel wants to do offensively. Musgrave is much more that sort of player. Able to provide inline blocking and while he doesn’t have a lot of college production as a receiving threat, not did George Kittle. He has the upside to be a weapon in this offense.

53 – Los Angeles Chargers – Emmanuel Forbes, Cornerback, Mississippi State

The Jaguars’ comeback in the wildcard playoff round demonstrated the issues that still exist in Brandon Staley’s defense. Forbes is raw, but he is the type of aggressive ball hawking corner that the Chargers coach loves. He could be a difference maker.

54 – Chicago Bears – Nolan Smith, EDGE, Georgia

When making their decision at #1 overall between a defensive tackle and a defensive end the overall depth of the relative classes will play a part. Nolan Smith is good value here and would provide an immediate upgrade to their pass rush.

55 – Detroit Lions – Derick Hall, EDGE, Auburn

Now the run on the next tier of edge rushers is on. On the face of it the Lions are well stocked here with Aiden Hutchinson, Charles Harris and Josh Paschal. But Hall has a really intriguing skill set and a high ceiling and could play on the edge or in the stand up rush linebacker role the Lions used James Houston for in 2022.

56 – Jacksonville Jaguars – Cedric Tillman, Wide Receiver, Tennessee

The Jaguars had success with free agents Zay Jones and Christian Kirk in 2022, but Marvin Jones is now out of contract and Tillman is the kind of vertical threat receiver which would round out this set of offensive weapons for Trevor Lawrence.

57 – New York Giants – Joe Tippmann, Center, Wisconsin

The Giants are in an awkward spot again. In both rounds they end up right at the drop off in tiers of receiver hits. Therefore, maybe they further reinforce the offensive line with Joe Tippmann who some shrewd evaluators really like.

58 – Dallas Cowboys – Felix Anudike-Uzomah, EDGE, Kansas State

Dallas might also be disappointed to miss out on the second round run on receivers, but they do also have a need opposite Dexter Lawrence on the defensive line. Anudike-Uzomah is raw but he actually reminds me of a younger version of Lawrence and will add some explosion to the pass rush.

59 – Buffalo Bills – Andrew Vorhees, Guard, USC

Having addressed offensive weaponry in round 1, the Bills come back and address offensive line in round 2. People seem all over the map on Vorhees. Some think he is a borderline 1st rounder, others see him as a late day 2 pick. I think he is a fit for the Bills on the basis that his pass pro is better than his run blocking.

60 – Cincinnati Bengals – JL Skinner, Safety, Boise State

Both of Cincinnati’s starting safeties are free agents. They did draft Daxton Hill in the first round last spring, but he is more a free safety coverage type. Skinner can play in the box, is aggressive and hits hard.

61 – Carolina Panthers – Zach Charbonnet, Running Back, UCLA

The Panthers earned this pick through trading away Christian McCaffrey. They may well spend it on replacing him. Charbonnet is a powerful runner and a decent pass catcher out of the backfield too.

62 – Kansas City – Darnell Wright, Offensive Tackle, Tennessee

The one position that seems to have been in constant flux since the Chiefs started this run is left tackle. Who knows what they do with Orlando Brown this offseason, but Wright has experience at both left and right tackle in college. He might take some time can but can end up a quality starter.

63 – Philadelphia Eagles – Matthew Bergeron, Offensive Tackle, Syracuse

The Eagles have some offensive line decisions pending. Jason Kelce will almost certainly retire, which probably means Landon Dickerson sliding into center and Isaac Seumalo is a free agent. Add that to question marks around how long Lane Johnson can play and a versatile guy like Bergeron would hold some attraction.

Okay TBD.... flame away!!!

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 20
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 19

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Here it is folks, version 1 of my 2023 mock draft and it is a two rounder. Version 2 will be a 1 rounder with trades after free agency and version 3 drops draft week. Enjoy and feel free to comment below!!

- - - ROUND 1 - - -

1 – Chicago Bears – Jalen Carter, Defensive Tackle, Georgia

There is a fair amount to unpick with this pick. Firstly, do the Bears stick with Justin Fields? My strong sense is they will. Then the question becomes is there a team wanting to jump Houston for their Quarterback of choice? Likely there will be, but for now I move to question three… if not Jalen Carter or Will Anderson? Positional value would point you towards Anderson but remember Ryan Poles, the Bears GM came from Kansas City where their best pass rusher is Chris Jones from the interior. Therefore, for now, I edge towards Carter being the pick.

2 – Houston Texans – Bryce Young, Quarterback, Alabama

The Texans are going to take a Quarterback, the question is which one? I think if DeMeco Ryans is going to bring a Shanahan style offense with him that probably suits Bryce Young as a sound decision maker and accurate distributor the best.

3 – Arizona Cardinals – Will Anderson, EDGE, Alabama

The Cardinals, like the Bears, have needs right across the defensive line with JJ Watt’s retirement. Anderson, to me, is a better fit as a stand up edge rusher in a 3-4 than he is playing with his hand in the dirt as a 4-3 end. Anderson wasn’t quite as dominant in 2022 as he was in 2021 but he is still a legitimate top 5 talent.

4 – Indianapolis Colts – Will Levis, Quarterback, Kentucky

Whoever the Colts hire as Head Coach they need to get out of their cycle of damaged goods veterans at Quarterback and finally land a successor to Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck. The early buzz is that Chris Ballard is enamored with Levis’s size and tools. There is some inaccuracy and recklessness on the film that concerns you but he is likely the highest ceiling Quarterback in the class.

5 – Seattle Seahawks – Tyree Wilson, EDGE, Texas Tech

If I was running the Seattle Seahawks I think I would take a Quarterback despite Geno Smith’s career year. However, I don’t expect them to do that. They addressed offensive line last year and I think their focus in this draft will switch to defensive line where Tyree Wilson fits the profile of the bigger ends that John Schneider and Pete Carroll have traditionally likes.

6 – Detroit Lions – Joey Porter Jnr, Cornerback, Penn State

The NFL Draft just keeps falling the Lions way at the moment. Two years ago they were able to land a franchise offensive tackle, last year they were able to land a franchise pass rusher and now they get their choice of corners. There are three or four contenders to be the first corner off the board but I am giving them Joey Porter Jnr from Penn State who had 11 pass breakups as a junior this past year.

7 – Las Vegas Raiders – Peter Skoronski, Offensive Tackle, Northwestern

At this stage who knows what the Raiders plan is at Quarterback? They could certainly go that direction here but I suspect that they would prefer a veteran. Which likely narrows their choice down to offensive line or corner. Skoronski is the highest floor offensive lineman in the class but I’m not sure whether he has the length to be an elite blindside protector. The Raiders have Kolton Miller at left tackle so could afford to slot Skoronski in at right tackle or guard.

8 – Atlanta Falcons – Myles Murphy, EDGE, Clemson

I am not really sure what the plan is for the Falcons. Arthur Smith is about to go into year three, they still have no discernable identity and no Quarterback.  Maybe they pick a signal caller here but they also have needs on the defensive line and Myles Muprhy would be an immediate upgrade to their pass rush. His length makes him a natural scheme fit.

9 – Carolina Panthers – CJ Stroud, Quarterback, Ohio State

The Panthers (Frank Reich’s new team), like the Colts (Frank Reich’s old team), have tried the approach of free agents and trade acquisitions since losing a former #1 overall pick at Quarterback. I feel like they will select one in the first round of this draft and they are a very real candidate to try and trade up. Here I have them taking Stroud who requires some technical refinement to succeed in the pros but has an intriguing set of tools to work with.

10 – Philadelphia Eagles – Christian Gonzalez, Cornerback, Oregon

Rarely can a team have been in such a strong position as the Eagles, in the Superbowl, with two first round picks to come in the following draft. They don’t have a ton of critical free agents either, but James Bradberry is one they do have, and their star corner on the opposite side Darius Slay is 32. So I expect this pick to be a corner and Gonzalez’s length makes him look like a natural fit in Jonathan Gannon’s defense.

11 – Tennessee Titans – Broderick Jones, Offensive Tackle, Georgia

Taylor Lewan has been a fantastic servant to the Titans since they made him their first round selection in 2014 but is nearly 32, has been hurt two of the last three seasons and saves them almost $15m against the cap to cut. I think they might decide to move on and Jones is exactly the big physical mauler I can see them loving.

12 – Houston Texans – Jordan Addison, Wide Receiver, USC

Whichever Quarterback the Texans take at #2 they need to give that guy some weapons. This choice, a bit like my choice of Bryce Young, is made on the basis that they want to try and run a Shanahan style stretch zone version of the west coast offense which stretches the field horizontally and gets creative in its use of playmakers. Addison isn’t an archetypal NFL #1 receiver, but could he be a version of Deebo Samuel or Brandon Aiyuk? Yes.

13 – New York Jets – Paris Johnson Jnr, Ohio State

The Jets offensive line seems to have been in a state of flux for years. One presumes they are about to give up on the Mekhi Becton experiment but Alijah Vera-Tucker was playing at an all-pro type level before getting hurt last season. Plug Johnson in beside him at left tackle and at least one side of that line is solidified.

14 – New England Patriots – Devon Witherspoon, Cornerback, Illinois

At times last year Bill Belichick was playing four safeties in his secondary, which tells you all you need to know about what he thinks of his current crop of corners. Witherspoon has been shooting up draft boards as people have started to dig into his film and his ability to hold up in man on island will have Belichick salivating.

15 – Green Bay Packers – Michael Meyer, Tight End, Notre Dame

If you are going to run that Shanahan style scheme then you are going to need a tight end or two and that tight end better be able to block as well as catch. Both Robert Tonyan and Marcedes Lewis are impending free agents. If neither are back than Michael Meyer is the perfect fit for Matt LaFleur, whoever he has under center.

16 – Washington Commanders – Cam Smith, Cornerback, South Carolina

Another team who seem to have no obvious plan at Quarterback. They could gamble on Anthony Richardson out of Florida at this spot but I wonder if with a lame duck owners, and a lame duck head coach, the more obvious move isn’t to shore up the porous secondary and let the inevitable new regime in 2024 take a swing on a Quarterback. In which case Cam Smith is the best defensive back left on the board.

17 – Pittsburgh Steelers – Bryan Bresee, Defensive Tackle, Clemson

For the Steelers this pick should be “best trenches player available.” For a team traditionally renowned for its toughness and grit they have become a bit of a soft touch in recent years capable of being bullied at the line. Bresse can slide right into the spot that Larry Ogunjobi, a free agent, has occupied.

18 – Detroit Lions – Bijan Robinson, Running Back, Texas

Remember what I said about the draft keeps falling for the Lions? Here we are again. Sure, positional need would suggest Bijan Robinson is a bit of a luxury pick at #18 but having addressed their major need earlier in the round they can afford the luxury of taking the best player available. Robinson is a dynamic player and adds to a scary looking offense core with Amon-Ra St Brown and Jameson Williams.

19 – Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Anthony Richardson, Quarterback, Florida

This is a bit of a punt, but while the Buccs defense needs a lot of work if they can get their offensive line healthy it isn’t the worst situation to drop a rookie Quarterback into. I think Richardson will find his way into the first round given the number of unsettled Quarterback situations, maybe he makes the short trip from Gainsville to Tampa.

20 – Seattle Seahawks – Brian Branch, Safety, Alabama

The Seahawks got great production out of rookie corner Tariq Woolen in 2022, but relying on a guy who plays with his aggressive style means you are going to need good safety play behind him. Brian Branch is a versatile defender who can play outside, in the box or as the deep guy and would improve the Seattle secondary.

21 – Los Angeles Chargers – Quintin Johnson, Wide Receiver, TCU

For all the pre-season talk about their offensive weaponry the Chargers found it difficult to push the ball down the field in 2022. Keenan Allen has been a terrific player, but he missed time hurt and turns 31 during draft weekend. Mike Williams continues to a decent contested catch guy but doesn’t offer much else. Quintin Johnson is a prototypical NFL #1 receiver and he would allow Allen to make a Larry Fitzgerald esque late career move into the slot.

22 – Baltimore Ravens – Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Wide Receiver, Ohio State

The Ravens obviously have to decide what to do with Lamar Jackson and that might affect what they do in the draft. However, whoever the Quarterback is needs a better wide receiver corps than the oft injured Rashod Bateman and Devin Duvernay to throw to. Smith-Njigba might do his best work from the slot but he is still a significant upgrade in Baltimore.

23 – Minnesota Vikings – Kelee Ringo, Cornerback, Georgia

The Vikings secondary was a problem at the end for Mike Zimmer and it fared no better following his departure. Ringo is excellent in zone coverage and has instincts that you look for at the next level, though he will need to improve his ball skills to maximise his talents.

24 – Jacksonville Jaguars – Anton Harrison, Offensive Tackle, Oklahoma

The Jags came on strong down the stretch and the work they have done on their defense started to pay dividends. Jawaan Taylor has never lived up to his pre-draft hype at right tackle and is an impending free agent, so it is possible the Jags take his successor here in Harrison who demonstrated impressive pass protection skills.

25 – New York Giants – Trenton Simpson, Linebacker, Clemson

The Giants need receiver help but I expect them to be aggressive in that regard in free agency and the value doesn’t really match up with that need in any event here. Therefore I can see them going to the defensive side of the ball where Wink Martindale’s overachieving unit desperately needs an infusion of athleticism at the second level and Simpson is a demon in pass coverage.

26 – Dallas Cowboys – Antonio Johnson, Safety, Texas A&M

The Cowboys haven’t quite got the secondary right and it just so happens that the best player available on the board at this point is a defensive back. Johnson is every bit the modern NFL safety. Excellent in coverage. Rangey, with great instincts and a sound tackler. His ball skills could be improved but otherwise he has the lot.

27 – Buffalo Bills – Rashee Rice, Wide Receiver, SMU

This is not a great spot for the Bills. The true 1st round grades at offensive line and wide receiver are exhausted, and the two options at safety are now off the board. In this scenario I think they’d be open to a trade back or maybe they’d be willing to forgo positional value for a guard but possibly the smarter play is to take a shot at a receiver. Rashee Rice is probably the most natural fit in their offense of the guys that remain.

28 – Cincinnati Bengals – Dalton Kincaid, Tight End, Utah

Hayden Hurst did a nice job as a one year band aid at tight end for the Bengals and maybe they bring him back if they decide not to extend Tee Higgins. Otherwise they could draft a replacement and in Kincaid they find another dynamic receiving weapon for Joe Burrow.

29 – New Orleans Saints – Drew Sanders, Linebacker, Arkansas

The Saints have San Francisco’s original first rounder in the most convoluted way possible (traded to Miami – for a pick from Houston in exchange for Laremy Tunsil - to take Trey Lance, then Miami traded to Denver for Bradley Chubb and eventually the Broncos sent it to the Saints for the rights to Sean Payton). New Orleans has got great value out Demario Davis who they signed as a free agent in 2018 (a 1st or 2nd team all pro in each of the past 4 seasons) but he is now 34 and as such they need a replacement. Sanders originally went to Alabama as a 5 star recruit edge rusher but converted to a mike linebacker before transferring to Arkansas where had an outstanding 2022 season.

30 – Kansas City Chiefs – Jalin Hyatt, Wide Receiver, Tennessee

The Chiefs traded away their big play threat when they sent Tyreek Hill to the Dolphins last spring. Their offense didn’t exactly “miss a beat” but the mid-season trade for Kadarius Toney suggests to me they’d like to bring that cheat code style speed back into the building. Hyatt isn’t a first round talent for most teams but in the Hill role in the Chiefs offense I think he could be.

31 – Philadelphia Eagles – Lukas Van Ness, EDGE, Iowa

I am not sure where Van Ness will go and the consensus on him is a bit all over the place. He is a typical Iowa “big end”. I think he has a bit more natural explosion than someone like AJ Epenesa coming into the NFL but he has the same room for further development in terms of pass rush moves. That said, he sort of fits the profile of a Howie Roseman defensive lineman. Tough, powerful, and relentless hustle. Feels like a natural replacement for Brandon Graham who may be heading for retirement.

- - - ROUND 2 - - - 

32 – Pittsburgh Steelers – Deonte Banks, Cornerback, Maryland

The Steelers have a need at corner with Cam Sutton a pending free agent. Ahkello Witherspoon and Levi Wallace are serviceable placeholders but they are not the long term answer. Deonte Banks has the right mix of zone and man coverage skills for the Steelers’ hybrid scheme.

33 – Houston Texans – Isaiah Foskey, EDGE, Notre Dame

The Texans starting edge players last year were Ogbonnia Okoronkwo who is a free agent and Jerry Hughes who will be 35 by the time the 2023 season begins. They desperately need some youth at the position and Foskey, while raw, has a high ceiling as a 4-3 pass rusher.

34 – Arizona Cardinals – O’Cyrus Torrence, Guard, Florida

The Cardinals have seven pending free agents across the offensive line, including both starting guards. Torrence would be a day 1 starter at either spot.

35 – Indianapolis Colts – Josh Downs, Wide Receiver, North Carolina

The Colts added Alec Pierce at receiver in the second round last year and he had an okay rookie year as the #2 to Michael Pittman. Downs would be another solid addition to that room with the ability to operate from the slot for whoever the next Colts Quarterback might be.

36 – Los Angeles Rams – Cam Phillips III, Cornerback, Utah

The Rams could go in almost in any direction with this pick. Their roster is getting close to the re-set point. Cam Phillips is one of my favourite payers in the class and his performance against Jordan Addison last season suggests to me he can, despite his size, play on the boundary even though he may be best at nickel.

37 – Seattle Seahawks – Ika Siaka, Defensive Tackle, Baylor

The Seahawks run defense was pretty porous in 2022, so much so that I considered giving them the massive Siaka with their second first round pick to plug the gap at 1 tech. If he gets to this spot he makes too much sense to pass.

38 – Las Vegas Raiders – Jahmyr Gibbs, Running Back, Alabama

The Raiders might yet decide to bring back Josh Jacobs, but if they don’t they need a running back. Josh McDaniels has always had a power run element to his offenses even when Tom Brady was his Quarterback so maybe he replaces one Alabama prospect with another?

39 – Carolina Panthers – Jordan Battle, Safety, Alabama

The Panthers roster is actually pretty solid aside from Quarterback, but with Jeremy Chinn now playing as more of a big nickel they could stand to upgrade at safety. Battle is an aggressive player in coverage with a reasonable amount of scheme versatility.

40 – New Orleans Saints – Zay Flowers, Wide Receiver, Boston College

The Saints made a start to the overhaul of their receiving room last year when they selected Chris Olave who had a cracking rookie year. Flowers can operate from the slot or as a move receiver on the outside and would replace the free agent Jarvis Landry.

41 – Tennessee Titans – Kayshon Boutte, Wide Receiver, LSU

And here comes the run on receivers. The Titans needed help at receiver before they traded away AJ Brown. Treylon Burks had some injury issues as a rookie but came on down the stretch and is talented. Boutte looked like a superstar as a freshman and hasn’t quite hit the heights since but the raw ability is there.

42 – Cleveland Browns – John Michael Schmitz, Center, Minnesota

The Browns got fantastic value out of Ethan Pocic on a 1 year contract at center in 2022. However, he played so well that he is likely to cash in during free agency and with Bitonio, Teller and Conklin all on big deals Cleveland probably can’t drop more money on the offensive line. Schmitz is easily the best center in the class and would give them solid cheap labour.

43 – New York Jets – Noah Sewell, Linebacker, Oregon

The Jets have two starting linebackers about to hit free agency and the other, CJ Mosely, is about to turn 31. Sewell has a certain amount of positional flexibility but I think probably plays the strong side in Robert Saleh’s defense as a rookie before sliding into the middle when Mosely moves on.

44 – Atlanta Falcons – Tuili Tuipolotu, Defensive Tackle, USC

Back to back picks spent on the defensive front for the Falcons as they go with Tuipolotu to compliment Myles Murphy and provide some interior pass rush. He would be their starting 5 tech on day 1 and has the versatility to kick outside in 4 man fronts.

45 – Green Bay Packers – Christopher Smith, Safety, Georgia

The Green Bay Packers spend more day 1 and 2 picks on defensive backs than any team in the league over the past decade (9 in 10 years). With Adrian Amos an impending free agent, don’t be surprised if they make that 10 in 11.

46 – New England Patriots – Dawand Jones, Offensive Tackle, Ohio State

Isaiah Wynn has become another draft bust in New England after a promising start to his career and they will be looking for a starting tackle. My pro comp for Dawand Jones is actually Trent Brown who will start for the Pats on the blind side. Huge man, bit raw, but with potential.

47 – Washington Commanders – Cody Mauch, Offensive Tackle, North Dakota State

The Commanders need help up front, especially with expiring contracts at guard. A lot of people believe Mauch, a road grading mauler of a college left tackle, will be best suited to guard in the NFL given length concerns.

48 – Detroit Lions – Darnell Washington, Tight End, Georgia

The Lions traded away TJ Hockenson for a 2nd round pick (not this one but pick #55) and they may well look for his replacement in this round. Washington strikes me as more of a Dan Campbell type player than Hockenson. Tough, physical blocker and a reliable if unspectacular pass catcher.

49 – Pittsburgh Steelers – Nathaniel Dell, Wide Receiver, Houston

I know what people will say, “the Steelers don’t need another receiver!” But their model is to take them on day 2 or early day 4 almost every year. Dell is small and projects as strictly slot only at the next level but Pittsburgh were willing to take Calvin Austin with a similar profile in the 4th last year.

50 – Tampa Bay Buccaneers – DJ Turner, Cornerback, Michigan

The Buccs have multiple pending free agents in the defensive backfield and not much cap room to address them. That includes starting nickel corner Logan Ryan who is not expected to return so DJ Turner might be an immediate replacement.

51 – Seattle Seahawks – Jack Campbell, Linebacker, Iowa

Seattle didn’t replace Bobby Wagner last year, but they get the opportunity to do so here. Campbell is a bit of a throwback in the respect of being a physical tone setter in the middle of the field but he would be a good compliment for Jordyn Brooks' skillset.

52 – Miami Dolphins – Luke Musgrave, Tight End, Oregon State

Mike Gesicki played on the franchise tag last year but he has always been a poor scheme fit for what Mike McDaniel wants to do offensively. Musgrave is much more that sort of player. Able to provide inline blocking and while he doesn’t have a lot of college production as a receiving threat, not did George Kittle. He has the upside to be a weapon in this offense.

53 – Los Angeles Chargers – Emmanuel Forbes, Cornerback, Mississippi State

The Jaguars’ comeback in the wildcard playoff round demonstrated the issues that still exist in Brandon Staley’s defense. Forbes is raw, but he is the type of aggressive ball hawking corner that the Chargers coach loves. He could be a difference maker.

54 – Chicago Bears – Nolan Smith, EDGE, Georgia

When making their decision at #1 overall between a defensive tackle and a defensive end the overall depth of the relative classes will play a part. Nolan Smith is good value here and would provide an immediate upgrade to their pass rush.

55 – Detroit Lions – Derick Hall, EDGE, Auburn

Now the run on the next tier of edge rushers is on. On the face of it the Lions are well stocked here with Aiden Hutchinson, Charles Harris and Josh Paschal. But Hall has a really intriguing skill set and a high ceiling and could play on the edge or in the stand up rush linebacker role the Lions used James Houston for in 2022.

56 – Jacksonville Jaguars – Cedric Tillman, Wide Receiver, Tennessee

The Jaguars had success with free agents Zay Jones and Christian Kirk in 2022, but Marvin Jones is now out of contract and Tillman is the kind of vertical threat receiver which would round out this set of offensive weapons for Trevor Lawrence.

57 – New York Giants – Joe Tippmann, Center, Wisconsin

The Giants are in an awkward spot again. In both rounds they end up right at the drop off in tiers of receiver hits. Therefore, maybe they further reinforce the offensive line with Joe Tippmann who some shrewd evaluators really like.

58 – Dallas Cowboys – Felix Anudike-Uzomah, EDGE, Kansas State

Dallas might also be disappointed to miss out on the second round run on receivers, but they do also have a need opposite Dexter Lawrence on the defensive line. Anudike-Uzomah is raw but he actually reminds me of a younger version of Lawrence and will add some explosion to the pass rush.

59 – Buffalo Bills – Andrew Vorhees, Guard, USC

Having addressed offensive weaponry in round 1, the Bills come back and address offensive line in round 2. People seem all over the map on Vorhees. Some think he is a borderline 1st rounder, others see him as a late day 2 pick. I think he is a fit for the Bills on the basis that his pass pro is better than his run blocking.

60 – Cincinnati Bengals – JL Skinner, Safety, Boise State

Both of Cincinnati’s starting safeties are free agents. They did draft Daxton Hill in the first round last spring, but he is more a free safety coverage type. Skinner can play in the box, is aggressive and hits hard.

61 – Carolina Panthers – Zach Charbonnet, Running Back, UCLA

The Panthers earned this pick through trading away Christian McCaffrey. They may well spend it on replacing him. Charbonnet is a powerful runner and a decent pass catcher out of the backfield too.

62 – Kansas City – Darnell Wright, Offensive Tackle, Tennessee

The one position that seems to have been in constant flux since the Chiefs started this run is left tackle. Who knows what they do with Orlando Brown this offseason, but Wright has experience at both left and right tackle in college. He might take some time can but can end up a quality starter.

63 – Philadelphia Eagles – Matthew Bergeron, Offensive Tackle, Syracuse

The Eagles have some offensive line decisions pending. Jason Kelce will almost certainly retire, which probably means Landon Dickerson sliding into center and Isaac Seumalo is a free agent. Add that to question marks around how long Lane Johnson can play and a versatile guy like Bergeron would hold some attraction.

Okay TBD.... flame away!!!

Thanks. My favorite part is that you have the Eagles drafting last.:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 3

Thanks for all the work you put into this, a good read with good rationale, It’s going to be an anxiety ridden draft hoping against hope we get the right pieces, and we won’t know for sure for many months after training camp is over, Fingers crossed we get guys that have immediate impact.🤞

• Like (+1) 4

Thanks - this was an interesting read.

I wouldn't mind a trade back from where we are this year.  This is the 1st year in ages where I have felt like we have to hit it out of the park in terms of drafting.   With our cap situation, other teams will move past us soon unless we can infuse young & inexpensive talent onto the team.

I know I'm stating the obvious w/ that, but I'm much more focused on this year's draft than any other I can remember.  I don't want this to be the end of our window - it would be way too much to deal w/, given the potential we've had the past few years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Success said:

Thanks - this was an interesting read.

I wouldn't mind a trade back from where we are this year.  This is the 1st year in ages where I have felt like we have to hit it out of the park in terms of drafting.   

I agree.

The problem is - are there many teams who covet a player highly enough in that 25-31 spot. Things can change between now and draft day, but at the moment I just don’t see many players projected in that spot to draw much trade interest. 

• Agree 1

Why not take Bergeron in the 2nd over Vorheese?  Bergeron would give them insurance at RT in case Spencer Brown doesn’t improve and, I would think, he could play guard if Brown improves.  

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I agree.

The problem is - are there many teams who covet a player highly enough in that 25-31 spot. Things can change between now and draft day, but at the moment I just don’t see many players projected in that spot to draw much trade interest. 

If Anthony Richardson is still available, someone might want to move up from 2nd round for him.  Other than that, I can’t see much hope for anyone else available that a team would trade up for.

As many here, I would not be very excited about Rashee Rice in round 1.  He does have good hands and is pretty good at contested catches, but can he get open in the NFL?  I’m not sure what his combine 40 will tell us, but I don’t think he is going to win many battles on speed or quickness.  He seems to have had a pretty quiet week at the Senior Bowl.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

As many here, I would not be very excited about Rashee Rice in round 1.  He does have good hands and is pretty good at contested catches, but can he get open in the NFL?  I’m not sure what his combine 40 will tell us, but I don’t think he is going to win many battles on speed or quickness.  He seems to have had a pretty quiet week at the Senior Bowl.

Yeah if we are taking a punchers chance at a player maker, I’d want Fowler over Rice. His comp is Tyreek Hill.

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.