Kurt Warner's "Study Ball" review of Bengals game.

Maine-iac

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Getting away from dumping money and high picks into the defense will only not be a philosophy when Beane and McDermott aren’t here. They are defense first guys. Last year the offensive upgrades were Saffold and Crowder on 1 year deals. 

That says it all there. Stafford was terrible and Crowder got injuried as usual. What a surprise. Let's hope Beasley and Brown can add something to the roster. Meanwhile, Hodges can make an immediate impact and continue catching TD passes from Daniel Jones. 

17 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Or design some counter plays once opponents 'know' what play will be when Hines goes in.  Sell a fake to Hines while the real target gets free with clear running for lots of yac.  Once there are multiple results from same looks then you can go up tempo  lil no huddle when u have a good mismatch for what defense is on field.  Make them react to what your team is dictating.  

I haven’t looked at the numbers but they typically brought in Hines in the redzone from what I could see. Redzone offense improved to a top 5 rate after the trade. So when we complain about Hines I don’t know if it makes sense. There just wasn’t enough snaps for a team that doesn’t use the RB well at all. This was a Daboll problem also.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Benching Singletary or Cook would go over brilliantly. We were already complaining about Cook usage. In fact that is still a better complaint. 

I hated when they gave snaps to Moss. I can’t say anything about giving snaps to Singletary and Cook. Our offense doesn’t utilize the RB well, that goes back to Daboll. It’s not a Dorsey thing. It could be an Allen thing. I would say it’s an Allen thing. He could probably hit the RB in the flat or right in front of him every time.It’s always there when watching games back.

All these fans that secretly know our offensive concepts and hot calls on this board should get into coaching also. I will always blame the QB. I blame the QB for nearly everything that goes wrong with the offense. I also credit almost every time things go right. That goes for protection, everything.

Josh is at his absolute unstoppable best when he’s dinking and dunking. When he’s hitting the RBs out of the backfield he’s unstoppable. LBs are lost. They can’t spy him and also cover the RB. It opened up the entire offense. For whatever reason last year Josh went away from that as the season went on and decided to become Daunte Culpepper launching balls down field to Moss.

I agree with the fact that were too many plays to count that Josh was forcing a long ball when at least one guy was open short, but I can’t fault Josh entirely for that. They reviewed the film and saw what we saw - was it just Josh that was blind to the fact that the short pass was open constantly - I can’t buy that entirely. The big variable this year was the change in OC and I think there was a long ball mindset that Dorsey came to rely on at the expense of a more balanced attack. Sure Josh has to take a lot of the blame for not looking to his secondary receivers, and it’s quite possible he decided to try and carry the team on his back instead of letting the game come to him. But as a coach, when you see that happening, isn’t it your job to deal with it and manage the player?

5 minutes ago, Dubie54 said:

I agree with the fact that were too many plays to count that Josh was forcing a long ball when at least one guy was open short, but I can’t fault Josh entirely for that. They reviewed the film and saw what we saw - was it just Josh that was blind to the fact that the short pass was open constantly - I can’t buy that entirely. The big variable this year was the change in OC and I think there was a long ball mindset that Dorsey came to rely on at the expense of a more balanced attack. Sure Josh has to take a lot of the blame for not looking to his secondary receivers, and it’s quite possible he decided to try and carry the team on his back instead of letting the game come to him. But as a coach, when you see that happening, isn’t it your job to deal with it and manage the player?

Josh has done this before. Josh is quoted as saying he’s never going to be a captain check down guy. It’s his mentality. It’s his own words.

Allen IMO was a better QB in 2022 then he was in 2021. He played better in the playoffs in 2021. I was down on Dorsey earlier in the year due to redzone offense. I feel like redzone is where OCs make their money. We improved greatly in that area as the year went on. Allen improved. Under Daboll we were always good in the redzone. 

Im just not seeing the issues with the OC. I use to defend Daboll on here also when people were attacking. I just don’t see it. The issues, mind you we’re talking about the number 2 ranked offense in the NFL, are Josh Allen and OL caused. I also feel like we lack WRs that gain separation other than Diggs. 

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

That says it all there. Stafford was terrible and Crowder got injuried as usual. What a surprise. Let's hope Beasley and Brown can add something to the roster. Meanwhile, Hodges can make an immediate impact and continue catching TD passes from Daniel Jones. 

Saffold, Quessenberry and Crowder. Think about that. These are absolute dumpster dive cheap Jags who do nothing to improve this offense.  Q was the clown who almost ended Josh's season. Saffold our worst graded olineman and thanks for nothing Crowder. Meanwhile McMensa wastes a 1st round pick on a CB he hardly let's play. Mind- numbing.....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

35 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Saffold, Quessenberry and Crowder. Think about that. These are absolute dumpster dive cheap Jags who do nothing to improve this offense.  Q was the clown who almost ended Josh's season. Saffold our worst graded olineman and thanks for nothing Crowder. Meanwhile McMensa wastes a 1st round pick on a CB he hardly let's play. Mind- numbing.....

It is a disappointment many here saw coming with Saffold and Crowder. Saffold they definitely wanted. Crowder was a cheap chance they took. I was good with Crowder but obviously wrong. Beane saying the plan was for Crowder to take over Beasley’s role and McKenzie stay the same doesn’t make sense from what we saw all offseason. McKenzie was getting the majority of the slot reps even when Crowder was healthy. I think they just made a mistake thinking McKenzie was a real WR. 

Hodgins could’ve been that big slot WR. They obviously didn’t think he was a better option. It’s similar to them trading away Wyatt Teller. Poor roster management.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 1

The Bills offense reminded me of  the way the Chiefs offense in the first half of the 2021 season.  The defenses were giving them the short stuff and counting on Mahomes to lose patience and eventually force it and make a mistake.  Even when they were getting the yards, there was never any consistency nor momentum.

Mahomes and the Chiefs eventually figured it out and took what people gave them.   Of course, it was probably much easier to convince the qb with Kelce as an always available target and Andy Reid whose opinion has to be respected.

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

The Bills offense reminded me of  the way the Chiefs offense in the first half of the 2021 season.  The defenses were giving them the short stuff and counting on Mahomes to lose patience and eventually force it and make a mistake.  Even when they were getting the yards, there was never any consistency nor momentum.

Mahomes and the Chiefs eventually figured it out and took what people gave them.   Of course, it was probably much easier to convince the qb with Kelce as an always available target and Andy Reid whose opinion has to be respected.

Similar but that was vs 2 high safeties. 2 high you have to be patient. Allen and the Offense got out of rhythm vs many coverages this year. A lot of the time Allen is throwing deep it’s 1v1 coverages. It’s just a low % throw. Allen could easily argue he’s giving his guy a chance. Maybe I’m incorrect but it seemed like the majority of his deep shots had a good chance of completion with an accurate throw or the WR making a 1v1 catch. Not many throws into double coverage down field.

The turnovers and stuff was mostly in the redzone and just poor decisions.

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Josh works on one thing in particular every off-season that has always been his way. I’m hoping that he can find a way to work on throwing underneath routes and getting the ball out quicker.

This last year he was working on his long ball. That obviously has been much better.

Iirc that's what he worked on his 1st or 2nd off-season. He came out at beginning of the next year throwing a bunch of short quick throws. Think we played giants and jets back to back in NJ to start the year. 

• Like (+1) 1

A football game is not like running a marathon. You’re not out there on the open road all alone, with just you and your distracted mind. Who the heck is supposed to talking to, or yelling at, Josh DURING the game? Someone is supposed to be telling him that guys are open EVERYWHERE underneath if he’d just take the easy completion and move the darn chains. That was clearly the case against the Bengals but either nobody was telling him, or he simply wasn’t listening. Either way…it’s not good! 

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The bengals could have scored every time they touched the ball. God forbid our offense has an off day and doesn’t bail them out. Literally every week the offense wins us games, 1 time they don’t have it and that’s a big deal. How about once in a while have the defense making stops. You might have to win a game 13-10. You just never can because our defense absolutely blows. Let’s spend the offseason complaining about WRs and Dorsey though….keep not fixing the actual problem and wonder why we are watching the Super Bowl with the fans.

The defense didn't play well, but they did keep the Bengals under 30 points. That game was winnable.

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, finn said:

The defense didn't play well, but they did keep the Bengals under 30 points. That game was winnable.

The bengals scored on every drive that mattered. Once it was clear the game was over and there was no threat, the foot was off the gas. There was zero resistance and the defense held them to nothing. When it was just a matter of running out time, that’s when they stopped pushing the issue. The bengals had anything they wanted from the start of the game. Either game honestly. We got lucky to get a no decision in the first.

• Thank you (+1) 2

8 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'm really starting to think this team won't even sniff a Super Bowl appearance. 

It's pretty clear the Chiefs and Cinci are better teams than Buffalo.

Other teams like Miami, Jets, Jags, and Chargers have closed the gap. I am thinking the Dolphins may very well be a better team than Buffalo. 

I'm thinking this upcoming season is going to open up a lot of people's eyes. 

• Agree 2

I like that Josh and Dorsey like to try to block it up and take shots downfield.  We have the receivers and game plan to do that.  What I think this video shows is that a couple in game tweaks and a quicker decision to attack underneath would land some big plays from a shorter passing game.  Picture Mike Tyson working on his jab.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Check down, check down, check down, check down, check down.

Then get someone faster than Devon Singletary, Gabe Davis, and Dawson Knox if that’s all you want to do.

Also, the line is pathetic. A team brings half a pressure more and this offensive line falls apart. 

With all due respect, I believe you’re missing the point. The idea isn’t to go into the huddle with the intent of checking the ball down. The idea is for the QB to scan the field, and take the open receivers. Move the chains, and keep the drive moving. Josh failed to do that time and time again…which by the way exposes the weakness of the O Line, causing them to block longer than they have the skill set to do. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

18 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Kurt’s analysis is basically Josh Allen lost this game by himself and no one else  is to blame. 

Warner has always critiqued Allen harshly 😆...Allen is far from the reason of our failure to reach a superbowl...it's bean for not getting the proper players around Allen and McDermott for valuing a defense first approach ...it's obvious McDermott runs this ship and bean is shopping for the players MCDERMOTT wants...McDermott is the biggest reason this team can't get over the hump and into a superbowl 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.