Your Gut Instinct: Are Beane/McDermott On Track to Win Championship(s) or Wasting J. Allen's talent?

Chaos

Your Gut Instinct: Are Beane/McDermott On Track to Win Championship(s) or Wasting Josh Allen's talent?   

315 members have voted

1. 1. Your Gut Instinct: Are Beane/McDermott On Track to Championship(s) or Wasting Josh Allen's talent?

• On Track to Winning Championships
    • Wasting Josh Allen's Talent
    • False Choice Question, Allen Does Not Have the Talent to Win Championships.
    • Any Changes in Management will Likely Result in a 17 Year Playoff Drought

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/05/2023 at 07:21 PM

13 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Well I started going to Bills games in the 80's and then when I got too old, i shifted to watching on TV. I am not sure if that is your definition of a bandwagon fan or not..

I’m not calling you a bandwagon fan

Just now, IronMaidenBills said:

I’m not saying all bills fan will leave, but I have to assume there are quite a few like me who have been fans for a very long time that are losing hope and feel like they are wasting time and resources on a team that will never figure it out.

Not enough to make an iota of difference

Just now, IronMaidenBills said:

Josh is more than capable of winning a super bowl. But I’m not sure our GM or coach has what it takes to surround Josh with enough talent to win. Which is sad, because I’m not sure we will ever get a QB as good as Josh ever again. We are basically wasting him. 

If you are  "not sure our GM or coach has what it takes to surround Josh with enough talent to win"  how can you state definitively that "We are basically wasting him"?

Just now, SinceThe70s said:

If you are  "not sure our GM or coach has what it takes to surround Josh with enough talent to win"  how can you state definitively that "We are basically wasting him"?

I’ve seen enough talent from Josh to know he has the same abilities as Mahomes and Burrow. So that got me thinking why such a disparity. Then I do a roster to roster to roster comparison and begin to realize that the difference is coaching and talent. It’s not a Josh Allen problem. We are only winning because of him. You put him on a team like SF or Philly and you are talking about a multi year dynasty. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I’ve seen enough talent from Josh to know he has the same abilities as Mahomes and Burrow. So that got me thinking why such a disparity. Then I do a roster to roster to roster comparison and begin to realize that the difference is coaching and talent. It’s not a Josh Allen problem. We are only winning because of him. You put him on a team like SF or Philly and you are talking about a multi year dynasty. 

You seem to understand what you see. Kudos. 

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

You seem to understand what you see. Kudos. 

We only have Diggs. And that’s a problem. When he’s taken away, Allen regresses. Look at all the top teams and they have two reliable options or a good coach that can scheme. If we had another AJ Brown to pair with Diggs, we are likely talking super bowl right now. Oline and elite WR to pair with Diggs is what this team needs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I disagree that we are only winning because of Josh. But I do think we are considered to be an elite team (at least outside of this board) in large part due to him. That's pretty much life in the NFL.  

I disagree that Burrow and Josh have the same abilities. Josh can do things that Burrow is physically incapable of. Burrow does things that either Josh can't or won't - not sure whether that's on Josh or the coaches - coaches have been the popular choice lately.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

I disagree that we are only winning because of Josh. But I do think we are considered to be an elite team (at least outside of this board) in large part due to him. That's pretty much life in the NFL.  

I disagree that Burrow and Josh have the same abilities. Josh can do things that Burrow is physically incapable of. Burrow does things that either Josh can't or won't - not sure whether that's on Josh or the coaches - coaches have been the popular choice lately.

Burrows has huge cajones as a QB.  He does some things that Josh simply does not need to do, because of Josh's physical talents.  Burrows can't do anything Josh can't do. 

My gut instinct is McDermott/Beane will follow the career paths of Tomlin/Colbert, Harbaugh/Newsome, and Carroll/Schneider.  They'll have their team in the playoffs nearly every season and eventually they'll cash in at least one of those lottery tickets.  

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Burrows has huge cajones as a QB.  He does some things that Josh simply does not need to do, because of Josh's physical talents.  Burrows can't do anything Josh can't do. 

Can Burrow leap tall buildings defenders in a single bound? Has he punished defenders trying to tackle him?  Can he make the off-platform throws as effortlessly and accurately as Josh?

And none of my comments should be interpreted as a slight to Burrow.  

I would like to understand your cahones comment better. I'd put Josh far ahead of any other QB in the league in that department - albeit something Josh needs to dial back. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SinceThe70s said:

Can Burrow leap tall buildings defenders in a single bound? Has he punished defenders trying to tackle him?  Can he make the off-platform throws as effortlessly and accurately as Josh?

And none of my comments should be interpreted as a slight to Burrow.  

I would like to understand your cahones comment better. I'd put Josh far ahead of any other QB in the league in that department - albeit something Josh needs to dial back. 

Burrows steps up and stands in a pocket and delivers pinpont passes just prior to be crushed by the defense better than any QB I have ever seen.  This is the reason he has the Joe Cool moniker. 

I really want to vote for “on track” but I couldn’t pull the trigger. 

Thus far:

-Failed to build an OL for Josh

-Failed to keep up in the arms race

-Drafting has been mediocre

-Defensive HC, which will result in constant Offensive shifts 

-Defensive HC, with a defense that fails in the playoffs 

Hard to find the optimism with where we stand currently.   I would very much welcome them changing my opinion this off-season.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I really want to vote for “on track” but I couldn’t pull the trigger. 

Thus far:

-Failed to build an OL for Josh

-Failed to keep up in the arms race

-Drafting has been mediocre

-Defensive HC, which will result in constant Offensive shifts 

-Defensive HC, with a defense that fails in the playoffs 

Hard to find the optimism with where we stand currently.   I would very much welcome them changing my opinion this off-season.  

I feel like this team was so bad for so long that it took a lot of time to build this team. There is no denying with Allen and Diggs we will always be competitive. I voted for not on track, but I’m willing to give them 1 more offseason to correct the obvious needs. There is no denying we need another opposite WR to help Diggs, there is no denying we need O-line help. If Beane address and fixes this issue, it will go a long ways to giving me hope for the 2023 season. 

If we come out of the draft with a WR that runs sub 4.4 and has 1,000+ yards against legit talent and a bunch of mean o-linemen I’m willing to switch my vote to on track. This is the make or break year for my faith in Bean and McD. 

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Burrows steps up and stands in a pocket and delivers pinpont passes just prior to be crushed by the defense better than any QB I have ever seen.  This is the reason he has the Joe Cool moniker. 

I'd argue the beginning of Andrew Luck's career if that's the criteria.

Bills fans have have recently shown me that most have no patience for building a SB team. Todays society wants instant gratification...like a drive up window type service. They see other teams like the Rams & Bucs build it quick and win it all and want the same. They are anomalies and not the norm!

THE most successful NFL franchise the last 15-20 years has been our hated enemy the New England Patriots. The current had the NFLs best HC and HAD the NFL's GOAT at QB. Since losing Brady they haven't won much since and he won a SB with the Bucs.

Second best team has been the Kansas City Chiefs, 162 games, 117 wins, 45 losses. Their HC Andy Reid had built a playoff team in his first season going from a 2-14 season without to an 11-5 with. Let's face it, the man knew who to hire as his assistant coaches and how to build a disciplined team. He managed that with QB Alex Smith.(who Buffalo also went after at the time). Reid realized that Smith was just a game manager and wasn't going to get him to the big dance. 

Hence he traded up with Buffalo to get Patrick Mahomes, a player that wasn't graded very highly and was from an "air raid" scheme. Mahomes was like 4th rated behind Trubisky, Kizer, Watson. You know who was rated 6th, Nathan Peterman.

It took SEVEN years for Reid to take his KC Chiefs to the SB and this was with an experienced HC who was a 14 year winning HC with the Philadelphia Eagles. In which it took him SIX years to get his Eagles into a SB with McNabb at QB... they lost to NE 21-24 in 2004. (You know who his ST's coach was that season?)

Reid is basically an offensive genius with currently one of the best young QB's in the league.  It takes time and some good fortune to get a team to the SB.

Bills fans forget that this is Brandon Beane's, McD's first time at GM, HC and they are still learning as they go. 

Hopefully now they have learned that they need a much, much better offensive line and a better pass rush. More than one top pass rusher too. (Probably should have found a way to keep Jerry Hughes) I have faith that these men can get the job done for the Buffalo Bills. 

13-3 with all the freakin adversity that this team faced this season is nothing short of brilliant IMHO. Injuries, sickness, snowstorms, blizzards a home game in a different city. A HEART ATTACK on the field during a game and the HC knew the right thing to do. These are some great men this franchise has running it and Bills fans should just stop with all this negative crap! 

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

That's because we're too busy drafting defensive players in the first 2 rounds.

The regime has actually drafted 12 players in rounds 1 and 2. The balance is slightly tilted to defense but not as much as people imagine - 7 to 5. The problem has been talent evaluation not just strategy - three of those seconds are Zay Jones, Cody Ford and now James Cook (who unless they commit to using more is not going to provide value on investment). 

Living in Chicago and being a part of a family that is mostly Browns fans, I would be cautious against assuming the grass is greener on the other side. 

With very few exceptions, winning a Super Bowl is a combination of being good and being lucky.

I feel like the recipe for winning is to be very good for as long as possible and hope you get lucky. The Bills seem to be following that philosophy. 

While McDermott and Beane are not above criticism, they have put together a consistent contender and I have a hard time assuming we can just replace one or both of them and improve. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.