Your Gut Instinct: Are Beane/McDermott On Track to Win Championship(s) or Wasting J. Allen's talent?

Chaos

Your Gut Instinct: Are Beane/McDermott On Track to Win Championship(s) or Wasting Josh Allen's talent?   

315 members have voted

1. 1. Your Gut Instinct: Are Beane/McDermott On Track to Championship(s) or Wasting Josh Allen's talent?

• On Track to Winning Championships
    • Wasting Josh Allen's Talent
    • False Choice Question, Allen Does Not Have the Talent to Win Championships.
    • Any Changes in Management will Likely Result in a 17 Year Playoff Drought

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/05/2023 at 07:21 PM

2 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

It always bugged me how the Bills got credit for the great job they did bringing Allen along when in fact the Bills screwed up Allen's rookie year. 

First they clearly didn't intend to play him that year and blew the offense up.  The 2018 Buffalo O had to be one of the worst collections of offensive talent in Bills history. Second since they didn't plan on starting Allen he didn't get many 1st team reps through training camp and the preseason games. And instead of STARTING training camp with a veteran QB in the room to help Allen they had 2nd year Nathan Peterman on hand.

But all their plans went up in smoke when Peterman started against the Ravens and had one of the worst QB performances in NFL history.  So the next week Allen is thrown to the wolves.  IMO Allen rose above the bad circumstances that the Bills organization dealt him in 2018.  Now to be fair Bean/McD recognized that they had screwed up and over the 2nd half of the 2018 season and in 2019 they added better offensive players and a couple of vets in the QB room to help Allen out.

You are spot on though when you say that the Bills should have built around Allen since day 1.  Instead with the exception of Diggs the Bills have gone bargain basement shopping when it comes to committing draft & FA capitol to the offense surrounding Allen.  And in today's NFL this is the wrong approach to take.  Hopefully McD/Bean understand this and start correcting it immediately.

Hey now...be careful throwing around facts and logic. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, WideNine said:

I have lost faith in Frazier's defense.

The only sniff he has had at a championship was riding Dungy's coattails with Indy as an assistant in 2006.

Just feels like he fields a decent unit that relies on a system discipline that does not present issues for better teams to successfully plan against and attack.

Hence why our defense is a sieve in those bigger games. He gets outcoached.

I am not reacting in a knee-jerk way. Just look at the numbers with our defense in big games.

If the Bills are truly an Org that holds players and coaches accountable... and objectively review performance, at some point they have to ask the question could that coordinator position be improved?

If they are not asking that question, they should be.

To be fair, he was a starter on the 85 Bears.as a coach though, it’s a yikes

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Augie said:

I think it’s also fair to question why we make running a screen play look more difficult than landing a man on Mars. This is a serious question for any of you X’s and O’s guys. Why can a decent high school program do that more effectively than the Bills? Are we tipping it somehow with formation or personnel groupings or something? 

I’m more positive than most people (especially in this thread), but that is very confusing to me. 

Screens and draw plays as well.  I suspect that the lack of screens may be related to the OL struggling to block in the open field.

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

They don't have the kind of athletes on offense with the physical talent to create offense for themselves. Diggs, as great a technician as he is, has the athleticism of a 5th rounder. He runs phenomenal routes and has great hands but he isn't a real threat after the catch. Davis, similarly, is a fourth rounder. Knox a third. McKenzie and Shakir are both 5th rounders. The Bills just don't have guys on offense with the kind of elite athleticism that can succeed outside play design or scheme.

That's because we're too busy drafting defensive players in the first 2 rounds.

5 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Not a complete excuse, but

1. coming to a new team mid-season meant that he had to learn a whole new offense and develop relationships with his new teammates

2. He was also playing Special Teams which drew some of his attention away from learning the new offense

3. The OL was really struggling so RBs needed to be held in to block more often than usual 

4. Singletary and Cook were both playing well ahead of him

Do you really think that they purposely drafted Cook and traded for Hines, both pass catching backs, and then forgot about using them?  I think more likely, circumstances like the above made incorporating the backs into the passing game difficult.

Specifically regarding Hines, imagine starting a new job at a different company.  Do you think you will understand everything and perform all roles immediately?

San Fran had no trouble inserting McCafrey into the lineup. More likely Dorsey was in over his head and didn’t properly use the tools Beane gave him.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Screens and draw plays as well.  I suspect that the lack of screens may be related to the OL struggling to block in the open field.

…..or a phone booth. 😋

I kid, mostly. Good point about draws. That’s another head scratcher to me. It just shouldn’t be so hard. We need to do some self scouting, because we seem to have some serious tells. I pray Dorsey gets some help and can prove he’s up to this. No shame in looking for help. 

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

They would need to be careful to bring a defensive coordinator they can work with the players. We have not the players that they need to run a new defense. That is the issue that you run into switching out that defensive coordinator.

They were number one in de dVOA during the regular season when you’re making big decisions, they’re gonna fall back to the numbers

Get better players at the positions of weakness don’t overhaul the team

That is arrogant

Do you think fans are not gonna show up for 13 and three team?

If we can’t win with a Josh Allen, then we are likely never going to win a super bowl. At some point people are going to spend their time doing something else. Every year of football and it’s getting harder and harder to justify the time investment. If we can’t win a super bowl during Allen’s tenure, I’m likely done watching the NFL. 

• Agree 1

Just now, IronMaidenBills said:

If we can’t win with a Josh Allen, then we are likely never going to win a super bowl. At some point people are going to spend their time doing something else. Every year of football and it’s getting harder and harder to justify the time investment. If we can’t win a super bowl during Allen’s tenure, I’m likely done watching the NFL. 

Do you think bills fans are going to stop being bills fans for somebody that has been around long enough to be on the Buffalo Bills message board? I think you know better than this we lived through two decades of no playoffs. The fans are not going anywhere.

Come on man

Just now, John from Riverside said:

Do you think bills fans are going to stop being bills fans for somebody that has been around long enough to be on the Buffalo Bills message board? I think you know better than this we lived through two decades of no playoffs. The fans are not going anywhere.

Come on man

I’ve been a fan for a long time, not as long as some of you but old enough to have seen a lot. Super bowl years were soul crushing, but the last few years are starting to do me in. At least during the decades of suck, there was hope we could attain super bowl glory years. Now we have an elite QB, more elite than Kelly, and we are still struggling to bring one home. I’m willing to be a fan as long as Josh Allen is our QB and will likely continue being a fan of Allen brings home a super bowl victory, but if he can’t by the time he retires, I’m likely done being a Bills fan. It’s just not worth it at that point. I’ve never lurked in the shadows before, even during the bad years, but year after year after year of fail even with elite talent is depressing. 

Why not include the whole quote

Bills fans have been through the tough times and still supported this team they’re not going anywhere

And if you just got here, you’re a bandwagon fan

Well I started going to Bills games in the 80's and then when I got too old, i shifted to watching on TV. I am not sure if that is your definition of a bandwagon fan or not..

6 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Well I started going to Bills games in the 80's and then when I got too old, i shifted to watching on TV. I am not sure if that is your definition of a bandwagon fan or not..

Honestly a lot of us have been Bills fans for years. Beaten and battered. We show up and cheer no matter what. But this last year actually weighed on me like no other. For the first time ever, I contemplated is all of the time worth this. I never thought I’d ever get to that point. I never even felt like that during the drought years. I’m not even sure why. I think a super bowl victory will cure all these weird feelings, but if Josh can’t bring us one over the coming years, it’s probably going to take my fandom enjoyment to new lows. Which I never thought this moment would come or was even possible. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills
  • Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Don't do polls. 

This is a good example of why.

Do you mean that you don't do polls or folks shouldn't post polls? 

I didn't vote on this one. Choices appear to be biased towards one point of view.  

I assume those that think Josh isn't capable of winning a SB are the usual trolls. Probably same with the low percentage drought-truthers.

2 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Do you mean that you don't do polls or folks shouldn't post polls? 

I didn't vote on this one. Choices appear to be biased towards one point of view.  

I assume those that think Josh isn't capable of winning a SB are the usual trolls. Probably same with the low percentage drought-truthers.

Josh is more than capable of winning a super bowl. But I’m not sure our GM or coach has what it takes to surround Josh with enough talent to win. Which is sad, because I’m not sure we will ever get a QB as good as Josh ever again. We are basically wasting him. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I’ve been a fan for a long time, not as long as some of you but old enough to have seen a lot. Super bowl years were soul crushing, but the last few years are starting to do me in. At least during the decades of suck, there was hope we could attain super bowl glory years. Now we have an elite QB, more elite than Kelly, and we are still struggling to bring one home. I’m willing to be a fan as long as Josh Allen is our QB and will likely continue being a fan of Allen brings home a super bowl victory, but if he can’t by the time he retires, I’m likely done being a Bills fan. It’s just not worth it at that point. I’ve never lurked in the shadows before, even during the bad years, but year after year after year of fail even with elite talent is depressing. 

Well that’s you. What makes you think that one fan determines what the fan base feels

• Like (+1) 1

Well that’s you. What makes you think that one fan determines what the fan base feels

I’m not saying all bills fan will leave, but I have to assume there are quite a few like me who have been fans for a very long time that are losing hope and feel like they are wasting time and resources on a team that will never figure it out.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.