Your Gut Instinct: Are Beane/McDermott On Track to Win Championship(s) or Wasting J. Allen's talent?

Chaos

Your Gut Instinct: Are Beane/McDermott On Track to Win Championship(s) or Wasting Josh Allen's talent?   

315 members have voted

1. 1. Your Gut Instinct: Are Beane/McDermott On Track to Championship(s) or Wasting Josh Allen's talent?

• On Track to Winning Championships
    • Wasting Josh Allen's Talent
    • False Choice Question, Allen Does Not Have the Talent to Win Championships.
    • Any Changes in Management will Likely Result in a 17 Year Playoff Drought

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/05/2023 at 07:21 PM

4 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The Bills have a generational quarterback and they babied him from day one. They gave him no help the first two years and he went 28 games before his first 300-yard passing one. Show me any quarterback that went that long without a 300-yard game.  This was Josh freaking Allen.....  To me they could have worked on issues earlier.

Sorry this was a shiny new toy that should have been played with and built around day one. But let's not forget who the choice was to start the 2018 season it was Nathan Peterman.

It always bugged me how the Bills got credit for the great job they did bringing Allen along when in fact the Bills screwed up Allen's rookie year. 

First they clearly didn't intend to play him that year and blew the offense up.  The 2018 Buffalo O had to be one of the worst collections of offensive talent in Bills history. Second since they didn't plan on starting Allen he didn't get many 1st team reps through training camp and the preseason games. And instead of STARTING training camp with a veteran QB in the room to help Allen they had 2nd year Nathan Peterman on hand.

But all their plans went up in smoke when Peterman started against the Ravens and had one of the worst QB performances in NFL history.  So the next week Allen is thrown to the wolves.  IMO Allen rose above the bad circumstances that the Bills organization dealt him in 2018.  Now to be fair Bean/McD recognized that they had screwed up and over the 2nd half of the 2018 season and in 2019 they added better offensive players and a couple of vets in the QB room to help Allen out.

You are spot on though when you say that the Bills should have built around Allen since day 1.  Instead with the exception of Diggs the Bills have gone bargain basement shopping when it comes to committing draft & FA capitol to the offense surrounding Allen.  And in today's NFL this is the wrong approach to take.  Hopefully McD/Bean understand this and start correcting it immediately.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Is anyone willing to consider some changes in Josh Allen's decision making and ability to throw short or screen passes as part of the changes required to win the SB?

He literally played better than any QB in NFL history in the playoffs last year and they still couldn't get out of the divisional round

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

15 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Is anyone willing to consider some changes in Josh Allen's decision making and ability to throw short or screen passes as part of the changes required to win the SB?

When they've tried to throw conventional screen passes more often then not Allen has to throw the ball at the RB's feet as the defense is all over the pay.

When they've tried to throw WR screens more often then not the WR catching the ball is nailed for no gain or even a loss as the Bills undersized WR group is unable to block for this kind of screen.

Allen throws plenty of "short passes" in a game.  The reality is that on very rare occasions do those catching these short passes make a guy miss, speed past the tackler or God forbid BREAK a tackle. 

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

When they've tried to throw conventional screen passes more often then not Allen has to throw the ball at the RB's feet as the defense is all over the pay.

When they've tried to throw WR screens more often then not the WR catching the ball is nailed for no gain or even a loss as the Bills undersized WR group is unable to block for this kind of screen.

Allen throws plenty of "short passes" in a game.  The reality is that on very rare occasions do those catching these short passes make a guy miss, speed past the tackler or God forbid BREAK a tackle. 

They don't have the kind of athletes on offense with the physical talent to create offense for themselves. Diggs, as great a technician as he is, has the athleticism of a 5th rounder. He runs phenomenal routes and has great hands but he isn't a real threat after the catch. Davis, similarly, is a fourth rounder. Knox a third. McKenzie and Shakir are both 5th rounders. The Bills just don't have guys on offense with the kind of elite athleticism that can succeed outside play design or scheme.

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

He literally played better than any QB in NFL history in the playoffs last year and they still couldn't get out of the divisional round

Coach McDermott has indicated Josh needs to play better.  How the hell can a coach win with Allen's level of play? 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, saundena said:

I would have gone with on track to winning a championship, but McBeane's refusal to hold Frasier responsible for his 4th defensive meltdown in the playoffs leads me to believe they lack either the stomach or awareness to make the changes that need to be made.

This team has gone as far as it can defensively under Frasier and I hope OBD see that before it's too late

It's already too late. Fraizer is the DC for the Bills next year. 

• Vomit 1

2 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

It is a fair question.  All that I am arguing is that there were mitigating circumstances.  I do think all of the above played into it.  McCaffrey got a lot of carries and I speculate that taking handoffs takes less familiarity with the O than does getting into pass routes.  Fair to question the coaching decisions on that.

I think it’s also fair to question why we make running a screen play look more difficult than landing a man on Mars. This is a serious question for any of you X’s and O’s guys. Why can a decent high school program do that more effectively than the Bills? Are we tipping it somehow with formation or personnel groupings or something? 

I’m more positive than most people (especially in this thread), but that is very confusing to me. 

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

The Bills offense scored 10 points at a home playoff game vs a decent Bengal D. No one on the Bills offense played well that game. Maybe Beasley and that say a lot about Dorsey and the Bills O. 

10 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

They're on track. They have the young core on defense with some great veterans. They have a franchise QB. I think they need another star on OL and either WR or RB. They remind me of the Steelers. I think they'll be great for a long time and win at least one

That was not nearly as despondent as some of the others who hate those 14 win season. We have some things to fix, and I think they know that. They are in the top handful of teams in the league. Only one team is left standing in the end. It hasn’t been our time yet, but the future is bright. 

25 minutes ago, Augie said:

I think it’s also fair to question why we make running a screen play look more difficult than landing a man on Mars. This is a serious question for any of you X’s and O’s guys. Why can a decent high school program do that more effectively than the Bills? Are we tipping it somehow with formation or personnel groupings or something? 

I’m more positive than most people (especially in this thread), but that is very confusing to me. 

During the second half of the season, it seemed as though the defense knew the Bill's offensive play call more often than not.  Coincidentally the national media ran stories about the Bills "tells".   For example over 95% of the plays Diggs was off the field were running plays.  it seems like predicability is a killer. Fortunately Allen can run for his life and extend plays to compensate for the predictability problem. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, AlfaBill said:

Perhaps the players didn’t execute. 

Yes they went 13-3. But did they seem like a powerhouse team? Will they improve with a change in staff, not a full makeover but perhaps a new DC? 13-3 is great as a number but to me this year they didn’t seem like a juggernaut at all. And then the playoff collapse again?

They would need to be careful to bring a defensive coordinator they can work with the players. We have not the players that they need to run a new defense. That is the issue that you run into switching out that defensive coordinator.

They were number one in de dVOA during the regular season when you’re making big decisions, they’re gonna fall back to the numbers

Get better players at the positions of weakness don’t overhaul the team

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Btw he caught 52 (8 the second game) in 11 regular season games for the 49ers. 

And I have it 80% due to Allen.  So no I don't think there'd be an issue

That is arrogant

43 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Because fans pay the bills. If they want fans to show up, they need to win the big one at some point. 

Do you think fans are not gonna show up for 13 and three team?

5 minutes ago, Chaos said:

During the second half of the season, it seemed as though the defense knew the Bill's offensive play call more often than not.  Coincidentally the national media ran stories about the Bills "tells".   For example over 95% of the plays Diggs was off the field were running plays.  it seems like predicability is a killer. Fortunately Allen can run for his life and extend plays to compensate for the predictability problem. 

IF we are smart, this can also be used to our advantage. Just when you think you know what’s coming….

We knew losing Daboll would hurt, but it was a little worse than I expected.  I hope Dorsey can be a quick learner and is willing to adapt. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

IF we are smart, this can also be used to our advantage. Just when you think you know what’s coming….

We knew losing Daboll would hurt, but it was a little worse than I expected.  I hope Dorsey can be a quick learner and is willing to adapt. 

I feel as though the Bills would do well to follow the Bill Walsh system of scripting their first 20 plays so that they can make sure they are not predictable.  

9 hours ago, McBean said:

Let’s eliminate Brandon Beane from

this topic because he’s just the finance guy.

This is Sean McDermott’s team and organization. He’s the Pegula’s son.

He is 100% wasting Josh Allen. He’s 100% a mediocre coach that got lucky his first year to sneak into the playoffs in the first place. I believe that team had a turnover differential of something so abnormal it was nfl history. O, and the Dalton miracle on 4th down helped too. The wins starting coming when #17 was drafted. Did he draft Josh? If so, that’s the only thing he lucked up on.

We are 100% not winning a Super Bowl with this clown on the sidelines clapping. His record is so flawed it hurts. Brady left, AFC East QB’s have been atrocious, and Josh Allen has bailed his butt out countless times. Good luck to you all believing we are going somewhere with him. I’ll be here next offseason when we’re eliminated to say I told you so again. I was on record wanting his freakin butt left in KC after 13 seconds last year. It’s an absolute organization failure that will live along time until we win one that we let this clown come back and to top it off, let WNY homegrown BRIAN DABOLL walk out the building. Pathetic.

McDermott, Frazier, and Dorsey = mediocre coaches living behind a generational talent at the most important position in football.

I’ll gladly come back on here and eat crow if I’m wrong. I hope I am wrong about McClappy but I’m not. Whenever he punted in the snow years ago for a tie I knew then he was Dick Jauron 2.0.

Nailed it!

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

That is arrogant

To say McD's success is highly tied to Allen?  Yes I think 80% of McD's success and the accolades are due the Allen's being their qb.

13 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

It always bugged me how the Bills got credit for the great job they did bringing Allen along when in fact the Bills screwed up Allen's rookie year. 

First they clearly didn't intend to play him that year and blew the offense up.  The 2018 Buffalo O had to be one of the worst collections of offensive talent in Bills history. Second since they didn't plan on starting Allen he didn't get many 1st team reps through training camp and the preseason games. And instead of STARTING training camp with a veteran QB in the room to help Allen they had 2nd year Nathan Peterman on hand.

But all their plans went up in smoke when Peterman started against the Ravens and had one of the worst QB performances in NFL history.  So the next week Allen is thrown to the wolves.  IMO Allen rose above the bad circumstances that the Bills organization dealt him in 2018.  Now to be fair Bean/McD recognized that they had screwed up and over the 2nd half of the 2018 season and in 2019 they added better offensive players and a couple of vets in the QB room to help Allen out.

You are spot on though when you say that the Bills should have built around Allen since day 1.  Instead with the exception of Diggs the Bills have gone bargain basement shopping when it comes to committing draft & FA capitol to the offense surrounding Allen.  And in today's NFL this is the wrong approach to take.  Hopefully McD/Bean understand this and start correcting it immediately.

Appreciate the response.  I  was continually railed for stating what I thought was McD's training wheels he put on Allen years 1 and 2.  

Can you imagine of Peterman was just bad that first game, as opposed to having a second epic failure?  Allen may have waited another 8 games+.  

As with it seems Frazier, McD doubled down on Peterman.

But we are where we are and only have hope.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.