Your Gut Instinct: Are Beane/McDermott On Track to Win Championship(s) or Wasting J. Allen's talent?

Chaos

Your Gut Instinct: Are Beane/McDermott On Track to Win Championship(s) or Wasting Josh Allen's talent?   

315 members have voted

1. 1. Your Gut Instinct: Are Beane/McDermott On Track to Championship(s) or Wasting Josh Allen's talent?

• On Track to Winning Championships
    • Wasting Josh Allen's Talent
    • False Choice Question, Allen Does Not Have the Talent to Win Championships.
    • Any Changes in Management will Likely Result in a 17 Year Playoff Drought

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/05/2023 at 07:21 PM

9 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

It's an interesting opinion.  One I do not agree with besides the OL issues we had.  So they dont get any credit for drafting talent like JA, but they get all the criticism if they dont hit.  If you dont understand how this year played out based on many factors then we just dont agree.  The idea that you can just bring in new coach and GM every few years cause you dont win the SB is not really not how you achieve success.  Am I ok if they move on from Frazier and Dorsey?  Sure.  But I am not in this constant negative loop people on here are attached to.  It's way too easy to call 31 teams a year a failure. 

I fully understand what you are saying and it makes sense to me. I'm just not the guy that looks at things with rose colored glasses (not saying you are). When the bills drafted EJ or Losman they were mocked and criticized by the media and fans for not getting things right. Remember the saying "QB purgatory". If a team is criticized for not hitting on the pick, then yes, I do feel that I can also believe that they gambled on the Josh pick (I am so glad they did). We make fun of the patriots and say they are nothing without Brady and so on. It's all the same to me. We all say that the draft gurus are full of themselves and that we never really know who is going to pan out in the NFL. Many do and many don't. Some for their draft status some don't. And some way outplay what value they were projected to have. This is why I originally said that we are sold in hope because no one really knows. If they all knew then every team would be amazing and we'd all be winners. My problem with coaching is they just don't truly learn from their mistakes. They say "we'll watch the film and learn from it" but then they still line up 10 yards deep when only 4 yards is needed for a first down. They hope for other teams to make mistakes and for "us" to get a turnover  of sorts". I'm not saying fire guys pursay I just wish they'd do something they say they always do...."learn from their mistakes". I hope "we" are more healthy next year and that the weather doesn't screw with things, but those are things that can't be controlled. Coaching schemes can. Sorry for the essay lol. Go Bills!

5 hours ago, HOUSE said:

What ever happened to TRUST THE PROCESS?

:cry:

It's no accident that THE PROCESS was never clarified or defined.  So I guess it's a never-ending project.  Just keep trusting, like a stopped clock, at some point it will work out.  

2 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Until they invest 1st round draft capital & surround him with weapons other than Diggs & build up a legit O-line, they will be wasting his talents. The O can't be Josh playing Superman all the time. I really hope they're right about keeping Dorsey, cause I don't see it.

Totally agree...as long as McB keeps failing on defensive picks and FA's, they will continue to ask Josh to do it all with " no groceries"....that's an insanely stupid strategy. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Chaos said:

That is the correct question about all of the coaching positions.  Many Bill's fans carry scars and are only willing to ask the question:  Could the coaching be worse? 

It seems at this time the Bills as an organization are willing to let "very good" be the enemy of "excellent"

I don't believe that big swings with coaching lead to great results.

That is hard to digest when we see teams like Miami flushing their defensive staff and picking up Fangio and seeming to gain ground on our team.

With Frazier I just wonder if we have seen his best. There is a lot of churn about draft misses on the defense (particularly DL), but is some of that a DC or system that does not know how to best use the players he has?

I have seen posters here trash Elam and Rousseau and that is nonsense. Both are young players with a lot of promise.

I have never on this board suggested we move on from Frazier, till last year's 13 second botched defensive stand. This year I felt even more convinced that perhaps the team should be open to exploring other DC candidates.

Sometimes a limited shakeup is healthy for an Organization when things get stale.

Edited by WideNine

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Not a complete excuse, but

1. coming to a new team mid-season meant that he had to learn a whole new offense and develop relationships with his new teammates

2. He was also playing Special Teams which drew some of his attention away from learning the new offense

3. The OL was really struggling so RBs needed to be held in to block more often than usual 

4. Singletary and Cook were both playing well ahead of him

Do you really think that they purposely drafted Cook and traded for Hines, both pass catching backs, and then forgot about using them?  I think more likely, circumstances like the above made incorporating the backs into the passing game difficult.

Specifically regarding Hines, imagine starting a new job at a different company.  Do you think you will understand everything and perform all roles immediately?

Christian McCaffrey seemed to pick up the 49'ers.

Then why make a trade if you aren't going to use them at what he does best?

Again this is coming from a person who is wondering why they aren't using the backs as receivers and screens more often.

again what do I know?

6 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Again this is coming from a person who is wondering why they aren't using the backs as receivers and screens more often.

again what do I know?

It is a fair question.  All that I am arguing is that there were mitigating circumstances.  I do think all of the above played into it.  McCaffrey got a lot of carries and I speculate that taking handoffs takes less familiarity with the O than does getting into pass routes.  Fair to question the coaching decisions on that.

If I didn’t, love you, my bills, brethren, I would tell you that you deserved exactly what you got when you switched out coaches in management and we got another playoff drought going

To have this conversation whenever your team just went 13 and three is unbelievable

This team could easily go backwards if you start making changes

• Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

It is a fair question.  All that I am arguing is that there were mitigating circumstances.  I do think all of the above played into it.  McCaffrey got a lot of carries and I speculate that taking handoffs takes less familiarity with the O than does getting into pass routes.  Fair to question the coaching decisions on that.

Btw he caught 52 (8 the second game) in 11 regular season games for the 49ers. 

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

If I didn’t, love you, my bills, brethren, I would tell you that you deserved exactly what you got when you switched out coaches in management and we got another playoff drought going

To have this conversation whenever your team just went 13 and three is unbelievable

And I have it 80% due to Allen.  So no I don't think there'd be an issue

17 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

again what do I know?

Josh hates checking down to them. He'd rather throw a 15% deep ball. And they telegraph their running back screens so clearly. That has been a constant through two OCs now. But screens require a sell and the Bills don't sell.

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Josh hates checking down to them. He'd rather throw a 15% deep ball. And they telegraph their running back screens so clearly. That has been a constant through two OCs now. But screens require a sell and the Bills don't sell.

And again that is all about coaching. It is something they would have looked at I would imagine and said "we got improve on this".  It's about recognizing an issue and doing something.  Then why did they even trade for Hines? Again water under the bridge and I hope it improves in 2023 that's all I have hope.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And again that is all about coaching. It is something they would have looked at I would imagine and said "we got improve it on this".  It's a two recognize an issue then why did they even trade for Hines? Again water under the bridge and I hope it improves in 2023 that's all I have hope.

It is partly coaching, sure. But there is an execution thing there too. 

7 hours ago, Chaos said:

To my read opinions of posters on TBD are split on the Bills general direction.  One group thinks the Bills should stay the course and keeping doing the same things and that through some experience/maturation process the Bills will get better results.  The second group thinks the coaching staff has peaked and won't be able to do further in the playoffs than it has.   There is a smaller group that seems to think coaching changes automatically results in disaster and as long as your current coaches are competent NFL coaches and you don't should tempt the fates with a change. 

I am in the second group.  I am not sure thinking team McDermott has peaked means "fire everybody", but I feel like any further failure to progress means something should change. 

I may be guilty of overrating Josh Allen, but I think any current NFL coaching staff would get the Bills 2022 Roster to the playoffs, simply because Allen is that good.  So the goals have to be set higher than that. 

Interesting thought… I’m sure the weak minded will hurl insults at you. 

Allen is very good, but he needs to be forced to play the short game as part of the offense. Bengals gave him chain movers- he refused to take them. 

as far as McDermott/Beane- maybe he is too loyal to ‘his guys’ when it’s time to go a different way. 

The other bit is, say moving on is the right move, finding a sure upgrade isn’t easy or a sure thing.

It’s absolutely a problem that they are now 0-4 in championships with top qb talent that isn’t going to last forever 

7 hours ago, saundena said:

I would have gone with on track to winning a championship, but McBeane's refusal to hold Frasier responsible for his 4th defensive meltdown in the playoffs leads me to believe they lack either the stomach or awareness to make the changes that need to be made.

This team has gone as far as it can defensively under Frasier and I hope OBD see that before it's too late

Perhaps the players didn’t execute. 

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Yes they went 13-3. But did they seem like a powerhouse team? Will they improve with a change in staff, not a full makeover but perhaps a new DC? 13-3 is great as a number but to me this year they didn’t seem like a juggernaut at all. And then the playoff collapse again?

56 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Marino did a good analysis of this and the numbers bear it out. We stink at screens.

A couple other interesting things he pulled out during that podcast was how much better Allen was with play action and how drastically play action was reduced under Dorsey.

And one brain twister was that Allen when passing from a clean pocket with time was less efficient than when pressured...

Don't know where to go with that assuming it's true.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Is anyone willing to consider some changes in Josh Allen's decision making and ability to throw short or screen passes as part of the changes required to win the SB?

Called coaching and seemed the later in the season, the more frustrated he was and we saw more long balls.  They had plenty of time to design an offense that worked.  

And how about some easy passes and separation by the receivers.  

Defenses figured out Dorsey the second half. 

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.