Would Bengals trade Tee Higgins? Contract demands reportedly “outrageous”

Big Blitz

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

Nor sure what Higgins has done with the Bengals that makes him a 20+ mil a year player.  Take a look at the WR’s who make that kind of money, add Higgins to the group, and then let me know who doesn’t belong. 

[edited] I stand corrected. I just looked at spotrac, and can’t believe the WR’s with a cap hit north of 20 mil for the 2023 season.  WOW. 

I know I wouldn't have believed it either until I seen it with my own eyes myself. Barely above average receivers getting 20 plus million a year it's insane

Nor sure what Higgins has done with the Bengals that makes him a 20+ mil a year player.  Take a look at the WR’s who make that kind of money, add Higgins to the group, and then let me know who doesn’t belong. 

[edited] I stand corrected. I just looked at spotrac, and can’t believe the WR’s with a cap hit north of 20 mil for the 2023 season.  WOW. 

The list is insane of WR making over $15 million a year and soon every #1 will make at least $22. I like Higgins but nearly enough to commit that much to him. 

53 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The way this draft lines up they could get a better LT prospect around 15 than the quality of WR prospect, IMO.    Then they would have their second first rounder to go after a WR where the available option might be as good as anyone in the top 15.     It's a good time for Cinci to make that move and I agree with @GunnerBill about the order.   

The addition of a rookie LT might make the Offense incrementally better.  Losing Higgins make them intuitively worse.

It's unbelievable.

How much did Zay Jones get from the Jaguars?

4 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Actually, Brady isn't off the books in TB.  I just saw that they will be carrying $23M in dead money with some procedural moves possible to reduce it to $11M this year.  They kicked the can down the road and it is now time to pay up.

That’s absolutely insane. I should have looked further.

To my point, the one team that did do it was totally flawed this year. It would be wildly irresponsible to pay a QB top 5 money and have 2 top paid receivers. You can’t build an OL, run game, or defense with that kind of spending. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Augie said:

We don’t need to sign him, we just need some other team to do it. Wait until the Bengals have to pay Burrows. That will level the playing field a bit. 

And so it begins for the Bengals.

Mike Brown will not want to put the amount of money needed in escrow for Burrows contract.

…plus he will start with in insultingly lowball offer….Burrow will probably end up on the franchise tag..

Edited by ControllerOfPlanetX

49 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The addition of a rookie LT might make the Offense incrementally better.  Losing Higgins make them intuitively worse.

Yeah, that sounds about right.   But they aren't going to give Higgins a $100M contract.........they aren't likely to franchise him next year with a new Burrow deal done and Chase eligible for extension either.........so trading 1 year of Higgins for 5 years of a promising OT is a business decision with some potential upside.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Bengals owner better figure out how to gain access to cash… and fast.  

Burrow is one thing.  They know what they need to do, otherwise lose the fanbase.  

Chase likely in the same boat given the draft pick to take him and Burrow connection. 

Higgins and the other pieces coming due are quite another. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

They're going to have to pay Higgins 20 million a year plus, Jamar Chase 20 million plus, and Burrow probably 50 million a year. Goodbye cap space Bengals👋😸. Actually by the time Chase is due, it'll probably be about 30 million a year.

Let me correct that for you...Burrow 50+ and chase 30+

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

With what $.  They have enough

problems extending the ones we

want.  Beane will be aggressive to

converting salaries to signing bonuses, but that is just to get to keep who they want.

Just to be clear - I never said WE should trade for him.  Not possible and would never happen.  

And I don’t think the Bengals will either.  

If you have 2 elite number ones you keep them.  

Will absolutely impact the roster but so what.

You have to out score people in this league.   

8 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Just to be clear - I never said WE should trade for him.  Not possible and would never happen.  

And I don’t think the Bengals will either.  

If you have 2 elite number ones you keep them.  

Will absolutely impact the roster but so what.

You have to out score people in this league.   

Blitz- That’s obvious and ofs

also not feesable.  Cinch will find the &”$.  They aren’t letting amy

of those three go, not

theor TE.

24 minutes ago, Allen2Moulds said:

Let me correct that for you...Burrow 50+ and chase 30+

Yup 

Burrow is going to be a 50M QB and Chase 30M

Seems like Higgins is likely asking for 30M too, based off the reports .. can’t imagine they’d think mid-20’s is excessive for him 

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Bengals owner better figure out how to gain access to cash… and fast.  

Burrow is one thing.  They know what they need to do, otherwise lose the fanbase.  

Chase likely in the same boat given the draft pick to take him and Burrow connection. 

Higgins and the other pieces coming due are quite another. 

Burrow and Chase will probably get what somewhere around $250 million guaranteed between them? Maybe more. Those 2 alone will take 25% of Mike Brown's net worth outside of the value of the team, that will need to go into escrow. 

• Like (+1) 1

Wide receivers are now like CBs in that a team can only afford to have one great one on a second contract on the roster because the position cost it too high.  Teams will pay their #1 WR big bucks and then churn through rookie WR and hope one of them hits on a cheap contract for four or five years to pair with their #1.  No team can afford to pay two #1 WRs market value on a second contract if they have a franchise QB on the books.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.