Would Bengals trade Tee Higgins? Contract demands reportedly “outrageous”

Big Blitz

6 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

I think you are exactly correct.  I also believe his contract demands are part of a strategy to get out of Cincinnati.  As long as he is there, he will be viewed as their #2 and his stats and recognition will be suppressed.  Players want recognition and the pay and endorsements that come along with that.  I'm not sure that there will be many teams willing to give up a bunch of picks to get him but it only takes one to make it happen.  Some potential trade partners may be concerned about his recent injury history.  He has missed a few games in the last two seasons.  Paired with the right QB and WR group, Higgins can be a game changer.

Leaks of his “outrageous” salary demands might be from the team. It makes sense for them to start the PR work now if their intent is to trade him this off-season as it would soften the blowback from the fans. 

• Like (+1) 2

The Bengals have a cash flow problem. They don’t have the cash to put the guaranteed money for three giant contracts in escrow so something has got to give. As i’ve said many times on this board, the Brown family’s only asset of value is the team itself. Right now, the two highest paid players in the Bengals are DJ Reader and Trey Hendrickson at 15 million each. That’s about to change in a big way.

Edited by FrenchConnection
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Is it just me, or is anyone else frustrated that the Bengals got to a super bowl and an afc championship under Burrows rookie deal, and the Bills fell far short of those achievements under Josh’s rookie contract?

I don’t buy into the “ he has a prettier girlfriend “ jealousy bit. So, nope, not frustrated. Was a helluva season and I eagerly await next season. 
Go Eagles !!

1 hour ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Is it just me, or is anyone else frustrated that the Bengals got to a super bowl and an afc championship under Burrows rookie deal, and the Bills fell far short of those achievements under Josh’s rookie contract?

In the Bills defense Josh had alot further to go to be ready to even dream of going deep into the playoffs than Burrow once entering the league and some bad luck. He clearly wasn't ready in year 1 or year 2. In year 3(2020) Diggs, Brown and Beasley were all banged up entering the playoffs. I agree with the last 2 years that they couldn't though.

2 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

Bills just need to get Beas, Crowder or Shakir back for the slot and Gabe will free up again.   I am not concerned.  Crowder's serious injury and the disfunctional way Beas was treated trashed the slot position this year.   

Ya Gabe is a nice weapon to have but needs to be used like he was his first 2 years and need a reliable #2. Gabe is still a nice weapon,  especially his big play ability.

Shakir looks like he can become a very good slot wr

28 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

How do you figure?  He played his best ball when Jamar was out and he was getting all the targets.  Can't say the same for Peerless.

Had him on fantasy.  He was very inconsistent without Chase

Interesting to see how Cincy handles this for a player who performed at a position of value, albeit a WR2.  

Buffalo avoided this through extensions on all of their 2017-19 draftees who were average or better players and would have come up for a new deal (Tre, Dawkins, Milano, Allen, T. Johnson, Knox).  The lone exception until this off-season was Harrison Phillips.  

Closest comp was when Milano's deal expired, he hit UFA and came back on a sizable contract for the position.  

Now they're facing the tough decisions most teams have trying to sustain a winning team and that's harder than building a roster from the ground up.     

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

They're going to have to pay Higgins 20 million a year plus, Jamar Chase 20 million plus, and Burrow probably 50 million a year. Goodbye cap space Bengals👋😸. Actually by the time Chase is due, it'll probably be about 30 million a year.

That’s what I been telling people. The Bengals are going be scary good till the bills come due. A lot of rookie contracts coming due and they still need a real O line to keep Burrows from being killed.

They're going to have to pay Higgins 20 million a year plus, Jamar Chase 20 million plus, and Burrow probably 50 million a year. Goodbye cap space Bengals👋😸. Actually by the time Chase is due, it'll probably be about 30 million a year.

Nor sure what Higgins has done with the Bengals that makes him a 20+ mil a year player.  Take a look at the WR’s who make that kind of money, add Higgins to the group, and then let me know who doesn’t belong. 

[edited] I stand corrected. I just looked at spotrac, and can’t believe the WR’s with a cap hit north of 20 mil for the 2023 season.  WOW. 

Edited by LabattBlue

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Higgins is a #1 receiver talent. But he isn't Cincy's #1 receiver. 

He doesn't deserve the best receiver in the league money but he does deserve paying like a #1. They should trade him to a team in the top 15 of the draft and take a tackle.

He won't. He is really good. 

no way I would let a playmaker like him go for an O-lineman

• Agree 1

Chase will probably ask for a new deal next year.

3 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Not me. 

Burrow was a #1 pick for a reason. He was a ton more NFL-ready than Josh. Josh was always going to take time. Burrows stood a great chance of being really good really fast.

• Agree 1

This is not a newly raised concern.  

I've seen mock drafters hypothesizing Higgins trades since early this season...........because common sense tells you that notoriously cheap, "relatively" cash-poor Bengals ownership isn't going to be putting half a billion in outlays or in escrow for guarantees to Burrow, Chase AND Higgins.

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

no way I would let a playmaker like him go for an O-lineman

The way this draft lines up they could get a better LT prospect around 15 than the quality of WR prospect, IMO.    Then they would have their second first rounder to go after a WR where the available option might be as good as anyone in the top 15.     It's a good time for Cinci to make that move and I agree with @GunnerBill about the order.   

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

The Bengals have a cash flow problem. They don’t have the cash to put the guaranteed money for three giant contracts in escrow so something has got to give. As i’ve said many times on this board, the Brown family’s only asset of value is the team itself. Right now, the two highest paid players in the Bengals are DJ Reader and Trey Hendrickson at 15 million each. That’s about to change in a big way.

Thats why I said (I think the AFC Championship thread) they are in for a world of hurt after this window. Mixon, Boyd, Higgins, and Burrow are all due for new contract by 2025. Chase is due in 2026.

Edited by NyQuil

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.