Broncos requested interview with Brian Flores to be new defensive coordinator

NeverOutNick

I just don’t understand why we want to stay status quo on defense when the last three years we’ve proven that our defense is not put together schematically for a deep playoff push. Yes, we have the personnel, but the coaching has shown to be subpar in the playoffs, and that’s when it matters most. It seems like Sean McDermott is willing to just go down with the ship which is very disappointing when you have proven aggressive, defensive coordinators like Brian Flores available and yet you want to stay with your buddy, Leslie Frazier. Frazier could be just a figure head for McDermotts D and if that’s the case that shows a lot of pride and arrogance on his part to not be willing to step aside and let someone else coach the D while he head coaches this team. I want us to succeed and I don’t think firing a safeties coach was the direction to make lasting changes to get us a Super Bowl and to not have everything fall on Josh Allens broad shoulders once again. 

I love this team, and I do feel like Brandon Beane is going to draft us the help we need on the o line and get us a big playmaking wide receiver to pair up with Diggs this off-season. I was just hoping for a little glimmer of light with our defensive scheme. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

I just don’t understand why we want to stay status quo on defense when the last three years we’ve proven that our defense is not put together schematically for a deep playoff push. Yes, we have the personnel, but the coaching has shown to be subpar in the playoffs, and that’s when it matters most. It seems like Sean McDermott is willing to just go down with the ship which is very disappointing when you have proven aggressive, defensive coordinators like Brian Flores available and yet you want to stay with your buddy, Leslie Frazier. Frazier could be just a figure head for McDermotts D and if that’s the case that shows a lot of pride and arrogance on his part to not be willing to step aside and let someone else coach the D while he head coaches this team. I want us to succeed and I don’t think firing a safeties coach was the direction to make lasting changes to get us a Super Bowl and to not have everything fall on Josh Allens broad shoulders once again. 

I love this team, and I do feel like Brandon Beane is going to draft us the help we need on the o line and get us a big playmaking wide receiver to pair up with Diggs this off-season. I was just hoping for a little glimmer of light with our defensive scheme. 

Have to see how the offseason plays out. Beane needs to have the kind of draft this year that JD had for the Jets last year. With the cap situation I don't know if the Bills can be big players in FA. They still have to try and resign their own FA's. As for Frazier I don't understand it either. The D has been good enough to win with in the regular season, but it fails in the postseason. I also hope they don't remain status quo but it looks like that is what is going to happen.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Have to see how the offseason plays out. Beane needs to have the kind of draft this year that JD had for the Jets last year. With the cap situation I don't know if the Bills can be big players in FA. They still have to try and resign their own FA's. As for Frazier I don't understand it either. The D has been good enough to win with in the regular season, but it fails in the postseason. I also hope they don't remain status quo but it looks like that is what is going to happen.

It’s not the players, it’s the coaching.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, WyoAZBillfan said:

Smart move. I think he will excel with that D. 

Agreed Sean Payton ain’t no dummy. He knows the minds that need to be in place to get his team to excel… and I actually don’t really like the guy as a person but as a coach, I bet he would get us to the Super Bowl

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

It’s not the players, it’s the coaching.

Probably a little bit of both. Look at our pass rush after Von went down. Coaching is definitely a problem. I would have made changes after 13 seconds. 

• Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, NeverOutNick said:

Agreed Sean Payton ain’t no dummy. He knows the minds that need to be in place to get his team to excel… and I actually don’t really like the guy as a person but as a coach, I bet he would get us to the Super Bowl

Going to be a challenge without draft assets to get more players, and as far as Payton being some savior I don’t buy it. He had a really good team for years and just one SB against rather subpar NFC foes. My hope is the Broncos actually challenge KC twice a year. 

• Agree 3

16 minutes ago, WyoAZBillfan said:

Going to be a challenge without draft assets to get more players, and as far as Payton being some savior I don’t buy it. He had a really good team for years and just one SB against rather subpar NFC foes. My hope is the Broncos actually challenge KC twice a year. 

I agree that he’s not a savior, but he doesn’t have to be with the team that we have in place. He basically just needs to be competent and more aggressive on both offense and defense. But I also like Sean McDermott a lot and I want to give him the latitude because the players love him and he’s a good man but if I’m Brandon Beane I’m thinking what’s the downside of hiring Brian Flores? First off he’s going to bring aggressiveness to our defense and probably get a head coaching job the following year so then we get a third round draft pick compensation, and he also will challenge McDermott on defensive philosophy, which is never a bad thing because two great defensive minds working together should brew some awesome creativity. 

Payton vs McDermott isn’t the discussion though. The discussion is why hasn’t McDermott and Beane made the decision to change things up with their defensive scheme. It just doesn’t work for the playoffs. They have to see that after multiple attempts at sticking a square peg in a round hole

Edited by NeverOutNick
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

I think Sean Payton is an excellent coach. But his record of getting teams to Superbowls is bad. And on the way he has lost playoff games to Kirk Cousins, Case Keenum, Jared Goff, Matt Hasselbeck and Rex Grossman all with Drew Brees as his QB.

I mean McDermott's defeats with Allen as his QB are to Watson, Mahomes x2 and Burrow. That is a different calibre of player.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Sean Payton is an excellent coach. But his record of getting teams to Superbowls is bad. And on the way he has lost playoff games to Kirk Cousins, Case Keenum, Jared Goff, Matt Hasselbeck and Rex Grossman all with Drew Brees as his QB.

I mean McDermott's defeats with Allen as his QB are to Watson, Mahomes x2 and Burrow. That is a different calibre of player.

Point!

40 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

Never happening bet bravado, whatever.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Payton is not special.

5 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

I agree that Frazier could be upgraded with someone more aggressive. Devil’s advocate, though, to the point of the bolded, the Bills went into the Bengals game without Von Miller, Micah Hyde and Daquan Jones. Ed Oliver had a torn pec and was in a harness since December. Jordan Philips had a torn rotator cuff. And they lost Poyer and Marlowe (their  last minute fill in/fourth string safety) during the game. They were a team with no effective DL or secondary and they played like it. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.