Dan Orlovsky All-Time QB list

Solomon Grundy

5 hours ago, StHustle said:

Left Rodgers off??? Dan Marino was not better than Aaron Rodgers…smh

They played in a different era so hard to compare.  What would be interesting to compare QB against entire league averages.  My gut tells me Marino would be further above average than Rodgers.  He was great in a non passing time frame.

Montana was fabulous in SB's.  Other times good, but not that amazing.

No way Mahomes should be on the list at this point in career.

31 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Mahomes is already a Hall of Famer, 6 years into his career.  How many QBs in history can you say that about?  Certainly not 10.  

Doesn't matter, he doesn't have the career of those guys...yet. Bo Jackson might have been a top 5 RB but we'll never know because he shattered his hip. Mahomes is surely on the path to greatness but not there yet 

These lists are so subjective. Do you base it on physical talent? Accolades? Championships? Blazing trails? A combination?

It is also very difficult judging guys across different eras -- and different offensive schemes. Some (Bradshaw, Starr) were blessed with surrounding talent.  Others... not so much.

Guys like Otto Graham (who won even more championships than Brady) and Johnny Unitas (who more or less defined the modern passing game) deserve to be considered.

While Dan Marino may have been the greatest PASSER who ever lived, I would not put him on a top 5 list. When it comes to Marino, I always thought of him in the same light that Jimmy Johnson once said when comparing Barry Sanders to E. Smith. He said that Barry may have been the greatest RUNNER because he was so dynamic with the ball in his hand. However, he said that Smith was the better RUNNING BACK because in addition to being a great runner, he was also great in pass protection, a quality receiver out of the backfield, and he knew when to lower his shoulder to get the tough few yards. In that vein I say Marino was arguably the greatest PASSER -- but his poor ball-handling skills, lack of mobility, and lack of post-season success places him further down the list as a great QUARTERBACK.

I also could never place Drew Brees on a list like this, although he posted insane numbers in his career. Yes, he was one of the most accurate QBs in NFL history, but he also thrived in good weather and dome conditions. I remember back in his 2nd (I believe) year in the league, the Chargers played us in Buffalo. He absolutely could NOT throw the ball in those conditions -- I am talking Chad Pennington level noodle-arm. The Chargers ending up benching him for Flutie in that game.

My top four would be (in no particular order)

J. Elway

J. Montana

P. Manning

T. Brady

Then it gets really difficult for me to figure out the 5th. I am leaning toward Unitas.

top 3 for dog damn sure:  Brady, Montana, P Manning...

who be the next two to ound out the top 5 ?  Marino ?  all those pass stats during the run-the-ball era...no rings...what about Favre or Brees with one each and big-time pass records ?  Elway top 10...maybe not 5.

fyi: below...recency bias says Bradshaw not top 5 maybe not 10 ?  Swann and Stallworth his WRs are in the HoF..no way to Aikman or Ben..could Eli be top 10 ?

QBs with more than 1 super bowl win:

Tom Brady – 7.

Joe Montana – 4.

Terry Bradshaw – 4.

Troy Aikman – 3.

Eli Manning – 2.

Peyton Manning – 2.

Ben Roethlisberger – 2.

John Elway – 2.

6 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Doesn't matter, he doesn't have the career of those guys...yet. Bo Jackson might have been a top 5 RB but we'll never know because he shattered his hip. Mahomes is surely on the path to greatness but not there yet 

I get the analogy, but Bo never had a 1,000 yard season.  Mahomes is already a Super Bowl champ, has multiple appearances and is about to be a 2-time league MVP.

He has eclipsed the careers of many in a much shorter span.  It won't be held against him, particularly if wins his 2nd ring next weekend.  

Edited by Chicken Boo

10 hours ago, LeviF said:

Based on current trajectory the only question re: Mahomes is whether he will win enough rings to make the GOAT debate interesting.

And Josh Allen and the Bills plan to ruin his ring collecting by grabbing a number of rings for themselves.

Edited by AuntieEm

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.