Dan Orlovsky All-Time QB list

Solomon Grundy

6 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

It’s his list and clearly written for discussion purposes. Joe Montana deserves to be in the top 5. You can make a case for Johnny Unitas too. Dan knew people would get a rise out of this by not including Joe and that’s what’s happened.

My dad always told me if Roger Staubach would have been allowed to go straight from the Navy back then he’d easily be top 5.

So if you were looking for controversy mission accomplished and I’ll bet his bosses at ESPN are happy. 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Agree 3

15 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Left Rodgers off??? Dan Marino was not better than Aaron Rodgers…smh

I'd leave both out of the top 5 personally.

1) Tom Brady

2) Joe Montana

3) Peyton Manning

4) Drew Brees

5) John Elway

It gets progressively harder to rank after that, but you have Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers, Johnny Unitas, Dan Marino, Fran Tarkenton, Steve Young, Bart Starr... mix and match those how you want. It's tough to rank the old time greats with the prolific newer generation.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

18 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Brady was a product of a system. He also lost Superbowls. Montana never lost a Superbowl. Montana should be #1. 

The Patriots were a product of Tom Brady... Sorry. I think it is pretty clear he was the best ever. I think he has his warts and the cheating scandals, but there's no denying what a winner he was. And his longevity is insane.

• Agree 9

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

The Patriots were a product of Tom Brady... Sorry. I think it is pretty clear he was the best ever. I think he has his warts and the cheating scandals, but there's no denying what a winner he was. And his longevity is insane.

I'll give you points on Brady's longevity. I just think Montana was better. Remember, he took an underperforming Chiefs team to the AFC Championship against the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Draconator said:

I'll give you points on Brady's longevity. I just think Montana was better. Remember, he took an underperforming Chiefs team to the AFC Championship against the Bills. 

Montana is the best ever if Brady didn't come along. He was awesome.

Brady solidified it by going to another team and winning a superbowl. He proved he could do it without Belichick, and the Pats have been mediocre since Brady left. (Similarly, I give major points to Manning for doing the same thing).

It's splitting hairs, though. Both are all time greats.

• Like (+1) 2

I think Mahomes could eventually be #2 and potentially even #1, but there's no chance he is now. 1 Super Bowl win and if they lose next week and his knee bends backwards and he never played again I don't even think he's top 10

Edited by KDIGGZ
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Brady was a product of a system. He also lost Superbowls. Montana never lost a Superbowl. Montana should be #1. 

7-3 in super bowls is significantly better than 4-0 in super bowls. If Tom was 4-6 in super bowls that would also be significantly more impressive than 4-0 

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, KDIGGZ said:

I think Mahomes could eventually be #2 and potentially #1. There's no chance he is now. 1 Super Bowl win and if they lose next week and his knee bends backwards and he never played again I don't even think he's top 10

Yeah, if Mahomes never played again we'd be lamenting what he could have been. Nobody would say he is top 5 all time. Anyone who does is projecting the rest of his career.

10 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

I think Mahomes could eventually be #2 and potentially even #1, but there's no chance he is now. 1 Super Bowl win and if they lose next week and his knee bends backwards and he never played again I don't even think he's top 10

It's all pointless...Josh Allen #1 coming up soon! Nobody has had his talent level.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Montana should be #2. Mahomes is great, but it's too soon to call him #2 all time. I like that Marino gets mention, but I'd feel better about it if he'd won a SB. It's also curious that no QB from before 1970 gets any love here, but the author probably never saw any of them play. Besides, it was a much more physical game back then.

What a moron. Montana is still in the argument for best ever. If he played in this era he would be devastating.  Elway is far too high on the list. Mahommes is a great QB but he simply doesn't have the career numbers to be included in this group yet. Its too much speculation what his future will look like. What happens to him if Reid retires? Mahommes may one day be #2 but not yet.

I'm fine with Marino over Favre Manning, and Breese as well. What he did in his era was incredible.  

My top 10 guy that never gets enough love is Steve Young. He doesn't have the career totals because of how long he sat, but he was a great QB.  Far better than guys like Bradshaw Aikman, and just as good as Elway and Favre.

Lastly my dark horse guy is Staubach. He doesn't get the recognition he deserves.  I would put him ahead of Bradshaw, Dawson, Griese, Tarkenton or any other guy from his era.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.