Compare Josh Allen to Tom Brady

GreggTX

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Allen has never been suspended for cheating and Teflon™ Tom has been and should have been more often.

Zebras have never made up a rule to help Allen and Zebras have for Teflon™ Tom.

Allen has never had a slumber party for his 80+ fans and Teflon™ Tom has.

Allen never divorced his pregnant wife and Teflon™ Tom has.

Allen has never faked retirement and Teflon™ Tom has.

Allen never forced head coach to be moved upstairs and Teflon™ Tom has.

I can continue for pages or just add one to thread every day.

Tom Brady played in ten Super Bowls.

Josh Allen has played in zero.

All of the other crap ... I couldn't give a rat's ass.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Tom Brady played in ten Super Bowls.

Josh Allen has played in zero.

All of the other crap ... I couldn't give a rat's ass.

Not surprised at all. Some find cheating as a sign of competitiveness.   

I knew some in college who could get good grades but had money to get people to write papers and in some cases tests and thought nothing was wrong with it.

As one classmate put it "Ethics are optional and just makes things harder than they need to be."

He did get caught on one exam and left college to finish degree elsewhere before he was thrown out.

• Eyeroll 2

Just now, Limeaid said:

Not surprised at all. Some find cheating as a sign of competitiveness.   

I knew some in college who could get good grades but had money to get people to write papers and in some cases tests and thought nothing was wrong with it.

As one classmate put it "Ethics are optional and just makes things harder than they need to be."

He did get caught on one exam and left college to finish degree elsewhere before he was thrown out.

it's a goddamn game, dude.  Football is a game.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Mahomes has lived in the AFC Championship game (5 straight), so if any QB threatens Tom’s 7 rings it’ll be him. But he has to win next Sunday to make it less arduous of a feat.

There’s this fallacy that Josh gave the Bills a huge discount on his contract and it’s simply not true. It was a fair deal to both parties at the time it was signed. Made him the 2nd highest paid QB in the league to Mahomes. Chiefs actually got a much better deal provided that Pat stays healthy for the 10 years and doesn’t ask to renegotiate his contract. Comparing the deal at the time to deals now signed 2 and 3 years later is off base.

I’ll never forget what the OC of the Pats said when Brady stepped in his 2nd year after Bledsoe got hurt. He said that when Brady went into the lineup, the offense was much more machine-like. His play calling became easier, more stuff worked. Brady wasn’t setting the world on fire stats wise, but he was unflappable and still processed the game at a higher level than Josh does today. Brady was better than Josh Allen in their first 5 years, regardless of what the stats say. He also wasn’t asked to be the entire offense which helped, but he made the plays he needed to make to not only send the Patriots to the SB, but actually win the whole thing. To suggest Allen is a superior QB is homerism and I love Allen, he’s just far more Favre and Roethlisberger than he ever was Brady. 

Agree on all counts. A Bills fan board is the only place this would even be asked. 

Spot on regarding Allen’s contract. He got paid full market value at the time of signing. However I give both Beane and Allen credit for doing it a year early. Josh got a huge chunk of cash early and the Bills locked him in at that season’s rate. 

I’d take winning a SB or two with a Favre or Roethlisberger level career for Allen. What I don’t want to see is him have a Philip Rivers career. That was certainly not all on Rivers. HCs Norvell Turner, Mike McCarthy and Anthony Lynn (!) all had a hand in it. Unfortunately we still need to progress from the Rivers/Turner trajectory because where we sit today looks scarily similar. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

Just now, BarleyNY said:

Agree on all counts. A Bills fan board is the only place this would even be asked. 

Spot on regarding Allen’s contract. He got paid full market value at the time of signing. However I give both Beane and Allen credit for doing it a year early. Josh got a huge chunk of cash early and the Bills locked him in at that season’s rate. 

I’d take winning a SB or two with a Favre or Roethlisberger level career for Allen. What I don’t want to see is him have a Philip Rivers career. That was certainly not all on Rivers. HCs Norvell Turner, Mike McCarthy and Anthony Lynn (!) all had a hand in it. Unfortunately we still need to progress from the Rivers/Turner trajectory because where we sit today looks scarily similar. 

I think this is a realistic goal. For this to happen we need a better OL, a DL that can get to the QB. Another playmaker at WR to go along with Diggs. I just wish they would move on from Frazier.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Gregg said:

I think this is a realistic goal. For this to happen we need a better OL, a DL that can get to the QB. Another playmaker at WR to go along with Diggs. I just wish they would move on from Frazier.

I think most fans were looking for a sign that we weren’t just going to run it all back in 2023. We were looking for an acknowledgment that some changes needed to be made, but it doesn’t seem like we are going to get that. Sigh 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Say what you want but Brady would never have signed for 40-45 million a year like Josh did. I'm not saying Josh is greedy by any means, but one of the reasons beyond Tom and Bill that made the Patriots so good was that he was signing contracts that were half the price of the other top flight QB's so that they could consistently field very good teams and win championships. Here we are looking at the salary cap and Josh's hefty price tag wondering were we can find some money to sign players.

That's cause of one reason and one reason only, he had a wife making more money than he was. While I understand Tom knew taking less would improve his chances, but if he's not with Giselle that never happens. I just read she signed a 5 year $25 million deal with Victoria Secret way back in 2000. She made more than he did all those years($90 million in 2009 alone) and is still raking in $40 million a year while working very little. No way he does that if he's with a woman making nothing or very little, like most QB's wifes/girlfriends.

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Yup.  He can only play QB in the system of offense.  Put him at Safety and he probably couldnt make a high school squad.  

Don't forget the tuck rule.

The Tuck rule was on the books for years! (A bad rule but it existed ) They didn’t create it for Brady, heck they called it earlier that same year against NE.. I also doubt refs gave a dang about Brady his 1st year as a starter. Lol

Also umm he played in Tampas O which was a different system than NE and won a SB.  Also with his speed he wouldn’t start on Pop Warner for Safety.. thankfully he is the greatest QB of all time.. I never heard anyone else’s D tell their coach No when to huddle up and say “ Nah we are going to sit and watch Brady win this.” Lol 

5 hours ago, arcane said:

"Just may"? It's been the consensus for years bro 

I believe he is and there is " some" consensus " but I'm sure there are those who could argue given time periods and the league now is much more a passing game than it was fifty years ago.

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

Mahomes has lived in the AFC Championship game (5 straight), so if any QB threatens Tom’s 7 rings it’ll be him. But he has to win next Sunday to make it less arduous of a feat.

There’s this fallacy that Josh gave the Bills a huge discount on his contract and it’s simply not true. It was a fair deal to both parties at the time it was signed. Made him the 2nd highest paid QB in the league to Mahomes. Chiefs actually got a much better deal provided that Pat stays healthy for the 10 years and doesn’t ask to renegotiate his contract. Comparing the deal at the time to deals now signed 2 and 3 years later is off base.

I’ll never forget what the OC of the Pats said when Brady stepped in his 2nd year after Bledsoe got hurt. He said that when Brady went into the lineup, the offense was much more machine-like. His play calling became easier, more stuff worked. Brady wasn’t setting the world on fire stats wise, but he was unflappable and still processed the game at a higher level than Josh does today. Brady was better than Josh Allen in their first 5 years, regardless of what the stats say. He also wasn’t asked to be the entire offense which helped, but he made the plays he needed to make to not only send the Patriots to the SB, but actually win the whole thing. To suggest Allen is a superior QB is homerism and I love Allen, he’s just far more Favre and Roethlisberger than he ever was Brady. 

Just via the eye test Josh Allen makes these insane throws that nobody else can make, but the general function of the offense looks so much harder than other QB's. Even under Daboll. Hell, before this NYG season this board was split on whether BD should be fired or promoted to HC instead of McD.

Josh has really struggled against zone for a good portion of his NFL career. Beasley helped, early but it is not something he has ever been super good at. He is a freak athlete and a smart guy, but I think his insane physiology covers up some deficiencies in processing time. His strong arm allows him to be late to throw and his big play ability allows him to not need to take what is given to him. 

It is all a blessing and a curse. 

The offense certainly has issues outside of QB play, but I think Allen makes it difficult on the OL and WR position at times too. 

• Agree 3

Allen to Elway is probably a better comparison, all around.  I think like Elway, Allen will win big when he is no longer carrying a team around on sheer talent and willpower.  Both guys, big arms, athleticism, etc.  Brady was more a finesse player.

I do think the Bills tried to do this on Defense, but the results have been to crumple when the team needed a game closed out.  The 2015 Broncos and 2020 Bucs defenses won games with violent defenses.... The Bills have not been that deeper in the playoffs.

With a demoralizing power running game Allen would nearly impossible to defend.  Need to put some resource into pushing team around.

Brady is is a class of his own.  Simply incredible example of consistecy and patience. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Mango said:

Just via the eye test Josh Allen makes these insane throws that nobody else can make, but the general function of the offense looks so much harder than other QB's. Even under Daboll. Hell, before this NYG season this board was split on whether BD should be fired or promoted to HC instead of McD.

Josh has really struggled against zone for a good portion of his NFL career. Beasley helped, early but it is not something he has ever been super good at. He is a freak athlete and a smart guy, but I think his insane physiology covers up some deficiencies in processing time. His strong arm allows him to be late to throw and his big play ability allows him to not need to take what is given to him. 

It is all a blessing and a curse. 

The offense certainly has issues outside of QB play, but I think Allen makes it difficult on the OL and WR position at times too. 

The processing is there, it was on full display in the playoffs last year and the first 2-3 games this year. So much so that in week 1 Chris Collinsworth said something to the effect of "If I didn't know better I swear we were watching Brady tonight". He was going to the checkdowns quickly and taking deep shots when they made sense, like hitting a couple deep passes later in the Rams game when the corners started sitting on the shorter routes.

His play started to get spotty in weeks 4-6 and then fell off a cliff after that. To me that's just as much on the coaching, if not more so, for failing to get him back on track.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

The processing is there, it was on full display in the playoffs last year and the first 2-3 games this year. So much so that in week 1 Chris Collinsworth said something to the effect of "If I didn't know better I swear we were watching Brady tonight". He was going to the checkdowns quickly and taking deep shots when they made sense, like hitting a couple deep passes later in the Rams game when the corners started sitting on the shorter routes.

His play started to get spotty in weeks 4-6 and then fell off a cliff after that. To me that's just as much on the coaching, if not more so, for failing to get him back on track.

I mean there are 1-2 games last year, 2-3 games this year. That is what, 6 or 7 total we are leaning on? Also, the Patriots and Chiefs generally rely on man coverage as much or more than any team in the league. I am not discounting him being able to get better at it, but in the 77 games he has played, those 7 games are more of an outlier, or work in progress, than anything else. To my point, Josh is capable of making big plays out of nothing, decision making is an issue and a big part of that is reading defenses. Josh is bottom 5 against zone coverage.

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/josh-allen/

Worth also noting that with all of the issues we have had with the OL. Allen's pocket time is in the top 10, his pressured % is in the top 10 (as in good), but he scrambles more than anybody not named Justin Fields. That is not a get out of jail free card for the OL. They certainly get punched in the face, but they aren't being given many favors either. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2022/passing_advanced.htm

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.