PSA: This is Sean McDermott's defense, not Leslie Frazier's

QB Bills

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

In real life coaches get to the Super Bowl within a couple of years if getting an elite qb on board.  McDermott has had a long chance.  He is currently the longest tenured coach without a Super Bowl win for his team. McVay , Taylor and Siriani are examples of recent guys who have gotten to the Super Bowl with a much quicker process.  

But because McD is so defensive minded they too stunted Allen's growth the first Teo years with conservative offense and not letting him learn on the fly and make mistakes.  McD didn't have a 300 yard passing game his first 3 years.  Allen's first in 2020 like 25 games into his NFL career.  Compare that to every great qb.

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

When playoffs begin we see Sean struggle against a higher tier of opponents. If he's allowing Frazier to completely call the defensive game plan then maybe that too is a huge issue. From week 3 on the offense just looked off and disorganized. Now all the sports shows including Cowherd etc are saying the Bills have regressed.  So back to the drawing board and under the radar.

We've regressed offensively for sure.  A lot of that had to do with Beasley's absence IMO.  

But the D, I simply think it was overrated to begin with for whatever reasons.  

Regardless, in McD's pressers he's trying to be like Belichick but he hasn't earned that.  His "explanations" are non-explanations.  All very closed and no accountability.  I have to think that's by design.

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Absolutely mental

You were describing a needle in a haystack of needles with Kurt Warner not the norm why can’t you people get that through your heads the buying a lottery ticket doesn’t guarantee that you’re gonna win it

It was one example to illustrate the point, there are hundreds.  

Come on ...

16 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Okay I'm a Bills fan and yes I watch a lot of football I only get wrapped up here.

We all saw what happened vs. Cincy and it was not pretty. 

The playoffs are a different beast and all year we saw the warts on the defense and yes injuries played a significant factor, but to be swiss cheese regardless of who is put out there is unacceptable. 

Let's not forget Cincy was missing 3 OL and did whatever they wanted.  They could have put up 40 if they needed to.

Bills fans know that they got lucky with Allen and he has become a QB beyond probably their expectations and they haven't done enough for him on that side of the ball, because this is essentially McD's team.

McD is a Defence first coach and spent the money there and constructed a defense that he and Frazier have run for years.

They have been terrible the last 4 playoff losses and really played what amounts to 3 decent games in the playoffs (Jax, Baltimore & NE).  

They have been terrible the last 3 and this is their philosophy on D.  Bend, don't break and hope for a mistake (fumble, tipped pass....).  They have allowed 29,29 & 30 First downs to opponents a ridiculously high #.

And no I will not forget 13 seconds, where two masterminds completely blew it.

First, no, there's no particular reason to think they could have put up more. They did want to. Why wouldn't any team want to? They put up 27. Which was their season average, and was bad enough. But they didn't put up 40 and there's no reason to think they could have.

And yeah, they were missing 3 OLs. Yet the people who keep saying this over and over keep forgetting that the Bills D was missing a lot more than that, including the two guys on the DL who most stressed OLs. With Von Miller and DaQuan there that probably would have been a totally different battle between those lines.

Edited by Thurman#1

6 hours ago, Chaos said:

Reid could not get over the hump without an elite QB. McDermott has not got over the hump with an elite QB.  

To pretend that's the only factor is outright disingenuous. How many years did it take Elway to win a Super Bowl. Peyton Manning?

You don't need an elite QB to win a Super Bowl. You need a top ten QB and a really good team. Reid had that on the Eagles.

Having an elite QB certainly helps. It certainly does NOT guarantee it, especially in any particular set of three years.

4 hours ago, PBF81 said:

It was one example to illustrate the point, there are hundreds.  

Come on ...

Hundreds? Great, should be easy to throw out 50 or 60 Kurt Warner-like examples off the top of your head.

Come on ...

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Eyeroll 1

Ugh, this board has been hard to read for the last week 5 days. The debate about what to do after such a promising start this season (we were favored in each of our 19 games) is going to go on forever. Whatever the case, this is going to be a long off-season. Can September start soon enough?

20 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Hundreds? Great, should be easy to throw out 50 or 60 Kurt Warner-like examples off the top of your head.

Come on ...

😂  Why, for someone that's already irrevocably made up their mind.  You obviously don't think that my time is worth much.  ;) 

4 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Sounds like excuse making to me.

Not surprising. Confirmation bias makes great arguments sound - to the people who will not be persuaded - like excuse making.

Plenty of weird trends form in small sample sizes which then straighten out as the sample sizes increase. It's a fact. That's how statistics work.

In those Chiefs games they simply couldn't pressure Mahomes. Then they bring in Von Miller. And Von gets injured. And they can't pressure Burrow. The game might have been quite different with Von and DaQuan in there. It's not guaranteed but there's a good chance of it. If Miller is healthy next year and Rousseau has continued improving and we can pressure the way we did early in the season, things could look very different.

8 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Not sure what you mean by this.  Why are you glad he didn't fire Frazier? Because it takes away that scapegoat for McDermott and allows pressure and heat to build on him specifically going forward?  

Or is just that you think Frazier is a good DC?

It's 50/50 to me to be honest with you.  I just come to this.  I think I'm willing to give McDermott the benefit of the doubt on who he wants to be his defensive coordinator because he knows that his job is largely depends on how this defense performs.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Not surprising. Confirmation bias makes great arguments sound - to the people who will not be persuaded - like excuse making.

Plenty of weird trends form in small sample sizes which then straighten out as the sample sizes increase. It's a fact. That's how statistics work.

In those Chiefs games they simply couldn't pressure Mahomes. Then they bring in Von Miller. And Von gets injured. And they can't pressure Burrow. The game might have been quite different with Von and DaQuan in there. It's not guaranteed but there's a good chance of it. If Miller is healthy next year and Rousseau has continued improving and we can pressure the way we did early in the season, things could look very different.

I suppose.  OTOH, if Von Miller plays every bit of his 34 years old, doesn't come back to 100% (very likely), and Rousseau doesn't improve like most of our draftees on the DL haven't, then it's the opposite.  That latter one has to do with coaching.  

We'll see I suppose.  Talking about it between us between now and then ain't gonna change the outcome.  LOL 

22 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

When the defense was looking phenomenal in the regular season, McD gave all credit to Frazier and said it's Frazier's defense. I don't think Frazier can take credit when things are going great and not take blame when things go badly.

Frazier is in charge, yes.  It’s also true that he and McD believe in the same defensive principles which is part of the reason Frazier is the DC; that and his HC experience, which was valuable for McD.  Firing Frazier would be like firing himself.   That’s why it’s not a real conversation for fans to engage in.  It’s just a fever dream.

A real convo to have is how can they adjust their principles with the talent on hand or who can they add, and how, to help the defense?   A wholesale change of defensive scheme would probably necessitate  changes in personnel and that ain’t happening in one off-season.  On a whole that  could seriously set the team back even further.

I get why people are pissed; I am too.  But if you’re on watch for a coordinator firing you most likely will be watching for at least another year.

9 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

How many years did it take Elway to win a Super Bowl. Peyton Manning

Elway, third season after bringing in Mike Shanahan. Before this Dan Reeves held him back for nine seasons.
Manning, fourth season with Dungy as coach.  

Elway/Reeves is a good comp to Allen/McDermott.  The good news is, if it is, we are only four years away from acknowleging the failure. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.