PSA: This is Sean McDermott's defense, not Leslie Frazier's

QB Bills

I see this as a collective failure and opportunity for many to improve in 2023:

Frazier: defenses have been eviscerated the past 3 playoff losses. Nearly was beaten by Miami backup QB. 13 second defense still haunting him. Unwilling to change up defense, became too predictable, unwilling to play press man to challenge WRs allowing free releases, rush defense collapsed vs Bengals.

McDermott: defensive coach who was soundly out-schemed by offensive-minded coaches Reid and Taylor and McDaniel. 13 seconds and disappearance of defense in 2022 playoffs. Unwilling to play and develop rookies during regular season.

Dorsey: failed to incorporate Hines into offense. Unable to develop screen game. Abandoned the running game. Offensive line in shambles during playoff run. Unable to get QB to play more efficiently / make game easier. 

Chad Hall: WR coach who was unable to develop #2 WR Gabe Davis to make Year 3 jump. Team lead league in drops. 

Allen: unwillingness to protect the football, lead league in turnovers. Regressed against pressure, caught off guard did not see blitzes, unable/unwilling to find hot reads to eliminate pressure, held on to ball too long, failed to distribute and get the ball out fast to preserve body and maintain efficiency of offensive drives down and distance.

Beane: Since the 2019 draft he has drafted zero Pro Bowlers. Beane has found some capable starters but has drafted zero game changers. Beane’s poor drafting has depleted our salary cap, and resulted in our having to spend money and draft picks to acquire said difference makers. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, MJS said:

No award, but the post I responded to said that Frazier should have been fired a long time ago, and I just pointed out that it is rare to fire a coach with such good regular season results.

And I'm one who has been calling to replace Frazier too. But it isn't surprising that he has been retained given the excellent regular season results.

It’s kinda like Acing the homework but then failing the test. But then getting an A for the course because you did well on the homework.

Id love for them to pass the postseason test at some point.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

It’s kinda like Acing the homework but then failing the test. But then getting an A for the course because you did well on the homework.

Id love for them to pass the postseason test at some point.

I agree. I think it puts McDermott in a tough position, honestly. The defense has great stats but keeps laying eggs in the postseason. Frazier is a respected coach, has the stats and accolades to back him up. He has a proven track record. I think it would be a media storm if he got fired. That doesn't mean you don't make the move, but still, it makes it tough.

So, while I don't agree that the Defensive performance is on McD's shoulders because as others have said Frazier takes the credit AND the ownership for when responsibility needs to be assigned. 

However, what IS on McD is the decision to keep / fire / let walk the coaches and coordinators that need to be improved. If this was the one year when the Bills D stunk the bed with all of the injuries and adversity, I could certainly make the case for giving Frazier and the Defense a pass, but we all know that's just not true. So, a new Defensive Coordinator, IMHO, is necessary to take the next step. Plus, if this becomes a rinse-cycle-repeat issue for the Defense, THEN McD's head is on the block because he's permitted it and didn't make the changes a HC needs to make for improvement. 

I'm also in the camp that wasn't sure Dorsey could do it, and I still don't think he can - so I'm ready for a new Offensive mind before we waste Josh's prime years. BUT, while I don't "like" keeping Dorsey, there is a stronger case for giving him a year to grow into the role after having some success. 

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

If Frazier can't breath new life into the defense next year, and McDermott is still unwilling to make changes, we have a problem. McDermott has shown willingness to progress and evolve in the past, though. Let's hope he can continue to do that.

I'm looking at this from the outside looking in... teams in the conference are getting better and that doesn't bode well for the Bills. We have a limited window by which to have Josh Allen performing at a high level, and the history of players like him that take the punishment he does bears this out. I'm afraid by allowing for McDermott to have this year is another year of Josh's high level window being wasted and that's too high of a price I think.

This is also a crucial year for Beane as well... the Patriots let their team degrade due to poor draft and FA decisions and then compounded it by not having a legit OC. Beane must find solid players to fix the holes in our team or we will be flirting with disaster. So far Josh Allen has masked his misses and we can't afford too many more, ESPECIALLY on the front lines.

Who thinks Frazier offers cutting edge scheme? 

Hands up if you think that.

The staff looks like it’s all staying minus the Safety’s coach, but Houston, 13-seconds, Bengals, does anyone think this is a lock down defense when in matters?

Next year it will still be 8-15 yards off every WR, ill-timed blitzes, static coverages. 

Since we’re in love with McDermott’s leadership, there is no other change that is logical. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Who thinks Frazier offers cutting edge scheme? 

Hands up if you think that.

The staff looks like it’s all staying minus the Safety’s coach, but Houston, 13-seconds, Bengals, does anyone think this is a lock down defense when in matters?

Next year it will still be 8-15 yards off every WR, ill-timed blitzes, static coverages. 

Since we’re in love with McDermott’s leadership, there is no other change that is logical. 

It's criminal, that's what it is.... another year of letting it go, another year of Josh taking all of these hits just to get us 10+ wins and an early trip home in January.

2 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I'm looking at this from the outside looking in... teams in the conference are getting better and that doesn't bode well for the Bills. We have a limited window by which to have Josh Allen performing at a high level, and the history of players like him that take the punishment he does bears this out. I'm afraid by allowing for McDermott to have this year is another year of Josh's high level window being wasted and that's too high of a price I think.

This is also a crucial year for Beane as well... the Patriots let their team degrade due to poor draft and FA decisions and then compounded it by not having a legit OC. Beane must find solid players to fix the holes in our team or we will be flirting with disaster. So far Josh Allen has masked his misses and we can't afford too many more, ESPECIALLY on the front lines.

The oline for sure needs major upgrades. That needs to be job #1. Do whatever you have to do.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

If the information in this post is accurate, it is compelling, and is something the media should specifically be asking the Bills GM about. 

Agreed ... and to add some additional perspective, KC has allowed 20 points in both of its playoff games, the Eagles have allowed 7 points in both of theirs, a 13.5 ppg average between them.  We allowed 27 and 31, and 31 to a team with a third-string QB, for an average of 29, over twice their average.  

Scroll down to Playoff Results ... 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2022/ 

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

The oline for sure needs major upgrades. That needs to be job #1. Do whatever you have to do.

Yeah I mean when I watch Bills games, the RT and the pressure immediately stands out.

They’ve band-aided at Guard for several years now with veterans.

Beane has shut off the talent spicket at WR after Diggs. 

The OP is 100% right, it's unfortunately just not the state-run blind McDermott support post that so many here are accustomed to. 

Also if people believe Frazier is the problem...whose fault is it that he's been here for years and continues to stay??? Is McD a helpless bystander when it comes to that too?

Edited by HomeskillitMoorman

6 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

It's criminal, that's what it is.... another year of letting it go, another year of Josh taking all of these hits just to get us 10+ wins and an early trip home in January.

McDermott showed us a lot with 13 seconds.

Thinking you could play that far off of Kansas City, rushing 4 with no chance to get there. 

We saw it again with 12-seconds in the regular season.

The Monday Night game against the Bengals - way too far off. 

It works against bad QBs who are invited to throw passes, we bank on mistakes. But good QBs just slice this defense apart. 

2 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Yeah I mean when I watch Bills games, the RT and the pressure immediately stands out.

They’ve band-aided at Guard for several years now with veterans.

Beane has shut off the talent spicket at WR after Diggs. 

Move Bates back to LG where he performs best. Majorly upgrade RG and RT. We should be good to go unless Bates can't get back to form. But if he is the one weak link, that's still a lot better. Dawkins and Morse play a lot better when they have competent guard play.

8 minutes ago, MJS said:

Teams allowed 30 or more points 9 times in the playoffs this year. Seems like defenses in general struggle in the postseason.

LMAO, yeah, the losers.  And we were one of 'em, ... again.  

The Eagles had the 8th ranked scoring D this season, the Chiefs the 16th.  The former allowed 7 ppg in its two playoff games, the latter 20 apiece.  KC played Cinci as well, and Jax, who was playing better offense with a far better QB than Miami with Thompson.  The Eagles held the Giants and Niners to 7 apiece.  Granted, Purdy came out for that game, they were still no worse than Miami with Thompson.  

Everyone talks about how great Daboll was, well the Chiefs just held his O to 7 points.  

Edited by PBF81

I want to see one year this defense is dominant passing the “eye test” , not statistically. What that means is we generate consistent pressure on QBs and stay fundamentally sound with tackling and coverage with our secondary. I don’t want to hear about not getting personnel because of cap restrictions. Sean has underperformed when it counted in the postseason. It’s time to put up or get replaced, and take Leslie with you.

6 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

LMAO, yeah, the losers.  And we were one of 'em, ... again.  

Of the Bills 8 playoff games in the Josh Allen era, the Bills have given up 30 or more points 3 times. 5 times they held the other team under 30.

Conversely, the offense has only put up 30 or more points 3 times, and were held to under 30 points 5 times.

The offense in the playoffs is a bigger issue than the defense. And the oline is a big reason for that.

Yes, we need to evolve on defense, but if we can get the offense humming like we know they can, we'll get to the superbowl.

12 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

The OP is 100% right, it's unfortunately just not the state-run blind McDermott support post that so many here are accustomed to. 

Also if people believe Frazier is the problem...whose fault is it that he's been here for years and continues to stay??? Is McD a helpless bystander when it comes to that too?

That's how forums and fans are.  In five more seasons that "state-run blind McDermott support" sentiment as you state it, will turn to what we're saying now.   Some people catch on sooner than others.  

Coaching held us back during our SB years too.  Can you imagine if we'd had Parcells or Johnson.  We'd have won a championship or two.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.