PSA: This is Sean McDermott's defense, not Leslie Frazier's

QB Bills

1 minute ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

There’s definitely some truth to this because if it was just Frazier D he would’ve been fired along time ago. 

Really? He has one of the best statistical defenses in the league over the past 4 seasons.

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

Seriously?  It plummets to what would rank DFL in the NFL during the regular season.  

These are just childish takes that are impossible to support with any kind of facts.

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, MJS said:

Yeah, McDermott is so incompetent:

Defensive rankings:

2019: 2nd

2020: 16th

2021: 1st

2022: 2nd

Win Loss record:

2019: 10-6

2020: 13-3

2021: 11-6

2022: 13-3

Best win percentage in franchise history. 4th best win percentage in the NFL currently. 21st all time in NFL history and ahead of coaches like Mike Tomlin, Sean Payton, Sean McVay, John Harbaugh, Pete Carrol, etc. (Just needs to get his superbowl like they have)

He is among the league leaders in following analytics and being appropriately aggressive on offense.

It's just so clear that he is a high quality head coach. He needs to get over the hump in the playoffs, but if we move on from him, it will not be good. And he will get scooped up immediately to be head coach of another team. And he'll probably turn around that team too.

What if this the best he is. He is great for getting a team back to regular success but I'm not so sure he has what it takes to get much better. 

I look at McDermott like the NHLs Bruce Boudreau. Great coach that has great regular season success but can't get over the hump in the playoffs. 

IMO those that don't want to change much are afraid they regress back to the drought days. If he doesn't get over the hump next season they have to clean house

• Agree 3

49 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

So in essence you're saying that once we get to the playoffs, we can't stop a cold.  

Unfortunately that doesn't carry much water.  We've allowed 31 ppg in our last 5 playoff games.  Against some of the same teams, here are the point totals allowed by the winning teams in the last 10 playoff games this season alone: 

17, 24, 14, 20, 7, 10, 12, 20, and 7.  

So for some reason all the teams ranked lower than us in defense during the season, somehow, managed to do what we're incapable of doing, ... against the same "good QBs."  

Does that make sense to you?   

Once again, it has coaching written all over it to me.  

If the information in this post is accurate, it is compelling, and is something the media should specifically be asking the Bills GM about. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

What if this the best he is. He is great for getting a team back to regular success but I'm not so sure he has what it takes to get much better. 

I look at McDermott like the NHLs Bruce Boudreau. Great coach that has great regular season success but can't get over the hump in the playoffs. 

IMO those that don't want to change much are afraid they regress back to the drought days. If he doesn't get over the hump next season they have to clean house

That's what everyone said about Andy Reid.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, MJS said:

It's just so clear that he is a high quality head coach. He needs to get over the hump in the playoffs, but if we move on from him, it will not be good. And he will get scooped up immediately to be head coach of another team. And he'll probably turn around that team too.

Without Josh Allen?

Let's be real here... the Bills are winning those many games because of Josh. Put McDermott on the Titans or the Jets or the Giants and he's not even CLOSE to winning the same amount of games. Josh Allen is getting run into the ground and it is the poor PLAYOFF performance that is the issue here as well... and we are not seeing any improvement. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Without Josh Allen?

Let's be real here... the Bills are winning those many games because of Josh. Put McDermott on the Titans or the Jets or the Giants and he's not even CLOSE to winning the same amount of games. Josh Allen is getting run into the ground and it is the poor PLAYOFF performance that is the issue here as well... and we are not seeing any improvement. 

McDermott took the Bills to the playoffs his first year with a crap team and crap QB.

52 minutes ago, MJS said:

Really? He has one of the best statistical defenses in the league over the past 4 seasons.

These are just childish takes that are impossible to support with any kind of facts.

Regular season and playoffs are two different things. Their defense works in the regular season cause they play more average offenses then really good ones.

Their defense philosophy is based on teams making long drives to score and wait for mistakes. Against good or elite offenses they tend not to make that many mistakes. 

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

That's what everyone said about Andy Reid.

Difference is Reid still got to a Super Bowl with his first team. It wasn't til his second team that he figured it out. 

Just now, Jrb1979 said:

Regular season and playoffs are two different things. Their defense works in the regular season cause they play more average offenses then really good ones.

Their defense philosophy is based on teams making long drives to score and wait for mistakes. Against good or elite offenses they tend not to make that many mistakes. 

They beat the Chiefs in the regular season. They have quality performances in the regular season too.

Hey, I'm not saying there isn't anything to fix. They need to evolve for sure. I've said I would be happy to move on from Frazier and inject some new life into the defense. Clearly something needs to change to get over the hump in the playoffs.

Moving on from McDermott is not the answer. That would be a disaster, in my opinion.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, MJS said:

They beat the Chiefs in the regular season. They have quality performances in the regular season too.

Hey, I'm not saying there isn't anything to fix. They need to evolve for sure. I've said I would be happy to move on from Frazier and inject some new life into the defense. Clearly something needs to change to get over the hump in the playoffs.

Moving on from McDermott is not the answer. That would be a disaster, in my opinion.

Its still regular season. They haven't shown the ability to rise up to the level required to win in the playoffs. I know why many are worried if McDermott leaves that the drought days will return.  IMO many fans are just happy to see success. 

If he doesn't get past the Division round again then he has to go. They need a more offensive minded coach. It's the way the league is heading. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Chaos said:

If the information in this post is accurate, it is compelling, and is something the media should specifically be asking the Bills GM about. 

This year (Bills included 31 vs. Miami).

Losing team 30, 23, 31, 17, 24, 14, 20, 7, 10, 20, 7 

Losing Team 17, 19, 21, 17, 15, 11, 16, 10, 36 (Bills), 27, 24, 17, 20

Losing Team 24 (Indy vs. Bills), 20, 23, 37, 9, 13, 18, 3 (Ravens vs. Bills), 17, 20, 24, 26, 9

• Thank you (+1) 1

Frazier and McDermotts D is near identical in practical application, the buck stops at McDermotts desk, it has been four seasons of no effective adjustments on the D when the opponent shows that they have your scheme figured out. That shows a noticeable unwillingness to adapt and grow in one’s craft by our coaches. 

GO BILLS!!!

6 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

When the defense was looking phenomenal in the regular season, McD gave all credit to Frazier and said it's Frazier's defense. I don't think Frazier can take credit when things are going great and not take blame when things go badly.

McDermott is displaying servant leadership in that instance. It is leadership 101 and fits with his Toyota management system. A servant leader always praises those below them and deflects criticism from them when it does not.

McDermott is a fine person and he has good leadership qualities.  He's just not a good enough coach to be beat the best.  Both statements can be true without any malice.

18 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Its still regular season. They haven't shown the ability to rise up to the level required to win in the playoffs. I know why many are worried if McDermott leaves that the drought days will return.  IMO many fans are just happy to see success. 

If he doesn't get past the Division round again then he has to go. They need a more offensive minded coach. It's the way the league is heading. 

They have had success in the playoffs too. They've won about half their playoff games. Yes, they need to get over the hump of beating the highest tier teams in the playoffs. That's easier said than done, though. You don't fire your coach because he can't beat a top 3-4 NFL team consistently.

Just now, MJS said:

They have had success in the playoffs too. They've won about half their playoff games. Yes, they need to get over the hump of beating the highest tier teams in the playoffs. That's easier said than done, though. You don't fire your coach because he can't beat a top 3-4 NFL team consistently.

I don't think any Eagles fans regret firing Andy Reid and he had way more playoff success in Philly than McD has had here. 

25 minutes ago, Einstein said:

What award do we get for that?

The regular season accolades are getting old when the defense is abused in the playoffs year after year.

No award, but the post I responded to said that Frazier should have been fired a long time ago, and I just pointed out that it is rare to fire a coach with such good regular season results.

And I'm one who has been calling to replace Frazier too. But it isn't surprising that he has been retained given the excellent regular season results.

41 minutes ago, MJS said:

McDermott took the Bills to the playoffs his first year with a crap team and crap QB.

What's the difference?

He made CHANGES ON OFFENSE... when we had problems scoring, he brought in Daboll and cleaned house. So now that our defense is a major problem against top teams, I don't see those changes. That's complacency and it's not going to get us to where we want to be,

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, EasternOHBillsFan said:

What's the difference?

He made CHANGES ON OFFENSE... when we had problems scoring, he brought in Daboll and cleaned house. So now that our defense is a major problem against top teams, I don't see those changes. That's complacency and it's not going to get us to where we want to be,

I agree. The defense needs to evolve. I'm all for bringing in a new coordinator. But it is different, because those offenses before Daboll were horrible in the regular season. It will turn a lot of heads if you fire your defensive coordinator after having the #2 ranked defense, especially given all the injuries and turmoil.

If Frazier can't breath new life into the defense next year, and McDermott is still unwilling to make changes, we have a problem. McDermott has shown willingness to progress and evolve in the past, though. Let's hope he can continue to do that.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.