PSA: This is Sean McDermott's defense, not Leslie Frazier's

QB Bills

I know everyone is still upset about that no-show against Cincinnati but what is going on with this fire Leslie Frazier movement? Don't know whether he's a good coordinator or not, but I've come to realize that his best quality is to take bullets for his incompetent boss.

Do fans not realize that McDermott is running the show on that side of the ball? Can you imagine if the Chiefs' offense continually crapped the bed in the playoffs and people said "you know who needs to go? Bienemy. He's really making Andy Reid look bad." Would anyone take that person seriously?

• Like (+1) 8
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 11
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 10

3 hours ago, QB Bills said:

I know everyone is still upset about that no-show against Cincinnati but what is going on with this fire Leslie Frazier movement? Don't know whether he's a good coordinator or not, but I've come to realize that his best quality is to take bullets for his incompetent boss.

Do fans not realize that McDermott is running the show on that side of the ball? Can you imagine if the Chiefs' offense continually crapped the bed in the playoffs and people said "you know who needs to go? Bienemy. He's really making Andy Reid look bad." Would anyone take that person seriously?

The defense lost half of their starters, leaning far towards the best players.

Yet they still managed to get 4th in defensive DVOA, 2nd in points allowed and 1st in yards allowed against a tough schedule of offenses. They throttled the Chiefs early in the year when still healthy.

So, yeah, it's McDermott's structure and Frazier does the detail work, and that means you can't give Frazier most of the credit.

But far from being incompetent, both Frazier and McDermott look really good once again when you look at how well that decimated defense did. (Very well.)

Can't imagine Frazier will be fired, though anything is possible.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 8

Both McDermott and Frazier claim that the defense is Fraziers. Frazier is also the assistant head coach. Frazier also calls plays for the defense.

It's pretty clear that Frazier runs the defense besides those few games that McDermott temporarily took away playcall duties (usually with great results, mind you).

Now, I'm sure McDemott is involved in game planning and he helped structure the scheme, and he probably gives some orders in key situations on game days, like every head coach.

Frazier is the defensive coordinator and fully operates as one. There's no reason to believe otherwise.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, QB Bills said:

Yeah, McDermott is so incompetent:

Defensive rankings:

2019: 2nd

2020: 16th

2021: 1st

2022: 2nd

Win Loss record:

2019: 10-6

2020: 13-3

2021: 11-6

2022: 13-3

Best win percentage in franchise history. 4th best win percentage in the NFL currently. 21st all time in NFL history and ahead of coaches like Mike Tomlin, Sean Payton, Sean McVay, John Harbaugh, Pete Carrol, etc. (Just needs to get his superbowl like they have)

He is among the league leaders in following analytics and being appropriately aggressive on offense.

It's just so clear that he is a high quality head coach. He needs to get over the hump in the playoffs, but if we move on from him, it will not be good. And he will get scooped up immediately to be head coach of another team. And he'll probably turn around that team too.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 8
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Okay I'm a Bills fan and yes I watch a lot of football I only get wrapped up here.

We all saw what happened vs. Cincy and it was not pretty. 

The playoffs are a different beast and all year we saw the warts on the defense and yes injuries played a significant factor, but to be swiss cheese regardless of who is put out there is unacceptable. 

Let's not forget Cincy was missing 3 OL and did whatever they wanted.  They could have put up 40 if they needed to.

Bills fans know that they got lucky with Allen and he has become a QB beyond probably their expectations and they haven't done enough for him on that side of the ball, because this is essentially McD's team.

McD is a Defence first coach and spent the money there and constructed a defense that he and Frazier have run for years.

They have been terrible the last 4 playoff losses and really played what amounts to 3 decent games in the playoffs (Jax, Baltimore & NE).  

They have been terrible the last 3 and this is their philosophy on D.  Bend, don't break and hope for a mistake (fumble, tipped pass....).  They have allowed 29,29 & 30 First downs to opponents a ridiculously high #.

And no I will not forget 13 seconds, where two masterminds completely blew it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's all on McDermott when it comes to defense.  It's his specialty.  He could've taken over play calling at any time during the Bengals game.  Firing Frazier would have been a save your own butt type move.  I'm in the minority when I say I'm glad he didn't.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

So then why does it plummet in the playoffs to what would essentially rank last?  ... 32nd that is. 

We know the answer and it has been discussed ad-nauseum.  Good QB's will do well against the Bills.  The problem is the other side of the ball too has been exposed to being essentially Allen & Diggs.  Big plays from others seldom happen.  For some reason too, Allen didn't run as the season wound down and Dorsey's scheme's were way too easy to defend.

As i stated over & over as bad as the defense was vs. Cincy, the Bills had first down at their 39 yard line with 1:00 left the first half and the second half kick.  Dorsey had nothing dialed up and the game was lost there.  

Simply if they were 17-17 or 21-17 (they were remember first & goal to start the third) maybe then we'd have had the shootout expected, but sadly it was the offense that let them down there.

And Allen hides all the flaws on the defense because he's gone essentially 11-5, 13-3, 11-6 & 13-3. 

3 hours ago, MJS said:

Both McDermott and Frazier claim that the defense is Fraziers. Frazier is also the assistant head coach. Frazier also calls plays for the defense.

It's pretty clear that Frazier runs the defense besides those few games that McDermott temporarily took away playcall duties (usually with great results, mind you).

Now, I'm sure McDemott is involved in game planning and he helped structure the scheme, and he probably gives some orders in key situations on game days, like every head coach.

Frazier is the defensive coordinator and fully operates as one. There's no reason to believe otherwise.

I guess neither of them sees any problem with how the defense under-performs its regular season stats in the playoffs or folds in critical situations in those games.  The excuse is execution.  Maybe so but its still not getting the job done.

One of them has to acknowledge there's a problem which requires both the HC and DC to address.  Leslie has to be fully aware these gaffes and underwhelming efforts are costing him any chance of becoming an NFL head coach again.  So not installing some changes or tweaks to the scheme and play calling or the amount of input Leslie gets in personal and draft decisions makes no sense from that view.   

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, QB Bills said:

I could imagine if bienemy was calling plays that there could be a half measure of removing him even if there’s a question of why more wasn’t done by Reid in the moment for the moment during a collapse 

37 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

So then why does it plummet in the playoffs to what would essentially rank last?  ... 32nd that is. 

How could it plummet to 32nd in the playoffs when there are only 14 teams in the playoffs?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, QB Bills said:

There’s definitely some truth to this because if it was just Frazier D he would’ve been fired along time ago. 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I guess neither of them sees any problem with how the defense under-performs its regular season stats in the playoffs or folds in critical situations in those games.  The excuse is execution.  Maybe so but its still not getting the job done.

One of them has to acknowledge there's a problem which requires both the HC and DC to address.  Leslie has to be fully aware these gaffes and underwhelming efforts are costing him any chance of becoming an NFL head coach again.  So not installing some changes or tweaks to the scheme and play calling or the amount of input Leslie gets in personal and draft decisions makes no sense from that view.   

Frankly, I don't care what the coaches say to the media. Never have and never will. If you are waiting for coaches to tell you the complete and honest truth through the media, you'll be waiting for a long time. If they are not willing to address it behind closed doors though, yes, that's a problem. But fans are not privy to those conversations.

But we do know that McDermott has taken play calling away from Frazier in the past. McDermott knows when it is Frazier's fault and when he needs to step in versus when it is the fault of mental errors by the players themselves.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

We know the answer and it has been discussed ad-nauseum.  Good QB's will do well against the Bills. 

So in essence you're saying that once we get to the playoffs, we can't stop a cold.  

Unfortunately that doesn't carry much water.  We've allowed 31 ppg in our last 5 playoff games.  Against some of the same teams, here are the point totals allowed by the winning teams in the last 10 playoff games this season alone: 

17, 24, 14, 20, 7, 10, 12, 20, and 7.  

So for some reason all the teams ranked lower than us in defense during the season, somehow, managed to do what we're incapable of doing, ... against the same "good QBs."  

Does that make sense to you?   

Once again, it has coaching written all over it to me.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

How could it plummet to 32nd in the playoffs when there are only 14 teams in the playoffs?

Seriously?  It plummets to what would rank DFL in the NFL during the regular season.  

There's a reason for it, because it seems to be unique to us.  Imagine if our offense did the same.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.