2023 Running Back Depth Chart: You Choose

Rigotz

Who do you want to add to the RB room in 2023?  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to add to the RB room in 2023?

• Re-sign Devin Singletary (~$5.5M)
    • Draft an RB in the 1st to 2nd Round
    • Draft an RB in the 3rd to 4th Round
    • Draft an RB in the 5th to 7th Round
    • Saquon Barkley (~$12.3M)
    • Josh Jacobs (~$12.8M)
    • Damien Harris (~$7.1M)
    • Kareem Hunt (~$7M)
    • Rashaad Penny (~$6M)
    • Jamaal Williams (~$5M)
    • D'Onta Foreman (~$3.5M)
    • Samaje Perine (~$3M)
    • Raheem Mostert (~$2.2M)
    • Alexander Mattison (~$2.2M)
    • Other (please specify)

16 hours ago, transient said:

I could get behind this. I had stated previously in another thread that I didn't think they should waste draft picks or FA money on a RB they won't use and, given their current RB room, they should bring to camp every UFA RB with size and reasonable speed that could be used as a battering ram, throw them at the wall, and see who sticks.

Another option if you don't want to pay Perine 3M is sign Mostert for 2M and find a big power back from your UDFA's. 

17 hours ago, Pete said:

Bijan is the player the Bills need the most from this draft IMO.  In other words, I believe Bijan would make the Bills better than any other in this draft

Nothing in the Bills run game changes until the O-line changes.  Behind a better line, Cook is more than a serviceable player. Using our first-round pick on a RB makes no sense for us.  We need a true WR2 opposite Diggs and Shakir in the slot.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Another option if you don't want to pay Perine 3M is sign Mostert for 2M and find a big power back from your UDFA's. 

I'd much rather have Mostert than Perine.  Mostert has impressed over the last few seasons (especially against us this year) and he's an extremely hard runner who breaks a lot of tackles and has breakaway speed.

Perine has been in the league since 2017 and really never showed me anything.

I'm actually surprised Mostert's value is listed so low.  If we can get him between $2M to $3M, that would be a good move, IMO. 

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, Rigotz said:

A few other options I didn't include in the poll, but might be considered:

- Tony Pollard ($9M)

- Miles Sanders ($7.2M)

- Mark Ingram ($2.5M) 

- D'Ernest Johnson ($2.5M)

- Darrel Williams ($1.5M)

- Jeff Wilson ($3M)

- Dontrell Hilliard ($2M)

- Kenyan Drake ($2M)

- James Robinson (RFA $3.8M)

I always liked Kenyan Drake

19 hours ago, Rigotz said:

A few other options I didn't include in the poll, but might be considered:

- Tony Pollard ($9M)

- Miles Sanders ($7.2M)

- Mark Ingram ($2.5M) 

- D'Ernest Johnson ($2.5M)

- Darrel Williams ($1.5M)

- Jeff Wilson ($3M)

- Dontrell Hilliard ($2M)

- Kenyan Drake ($2M)

- James Robinson (RFA $3.8M)

Bring back Motor at 5.5m and I'm fine.  He's truly a team guy, a good rb, and a great blocker.  When the give him the ball he produces.  That said I voted other because in particular I like the way D'Ernest Johnson runs and as long as he can pick up a blitz we could probably run him with Cook and save a couple million in cap space.

3 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

I always liked Kenyan Drake

My problem with a veteran is McDermott won't be able to help himself. 

Drake would be the starter and Cook would be back to 5-8 carries per game. 

We saw it with Gore/Singletary, saw it again this year with Singletary/Cook. 

McDermott will not move off veterans for younger players. 

3 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

I'd much rather have Mostert than Perine.  Mostert has impressed over the last few seasons (especially against us this year) and he's an extremely hard runner who breaks a lot of tackles and has breakaway speed.

Perine has been in the league since 2017 and really never showed me anything.

I'm actually surprised Mostert's value is listed so low.  If we can get him between $2M to $3M, that would be a good move, IMO. 

Yeah the more I look at acquiring Mostert, the more it makes sense. Not sure what will happen to Hines but I'm not thrilled with allocating alot of cap space for STers.  Pu a return guy/RB and power RB as UDFA's at league minimum. 

Not sure what all the hand ringing is about. You let Singletary test the market. If somebody takes him for more money, thank him and wish him well. And then you draft a middle round rookie. If nobody else is willing to pay Devin, you offer him a slight raise to say. You’ve already got Cook on the roster and ready to take over the starting job. Whether Motor stays or goes makes virtually zero difference to the ultimate success or failure of the 2023 Buffalo Bills. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

Nothing in the Bills run game changes until the O-line changes.  Behind a better line, Cook is more than a serviceable player. Using our first-round pick on a RB makes no sense for us.  We need a true WR2 opposite Diggs and Shakir in the slot.

The rest of draft and FA I would fix the line and WR.  
Joe Cribbs was electric.  Thurman was electric.  OJ was electric.  And besides that it’s been JAGs at Bills RB position the last 50 years.  The Bills need a player to take pressure off Josh.  A RB that can score from anywhere on the field makes Josh and the O that much better.  Play action would be deadly if we had a real threat at RB

Just now, Pete said:

Joe Cribbs was electric.  Thurman was electric.  OJ was electric.  And besides that it’s been JAGs at Bills RB position the last 50 years.  The Bills need a player to take pressure off Josh.  A RB that can score from anywhere on the field makes Josh and the O that much better.  Play action would be deadly if we had a real threat at RB

Where was our running game in playoffs when it mattered?  What is more calming for sugar rush Josh than a RB who gets 10 yards every carry 

20 minutes ago, Pete said:

Where was our running game in playoffs when it mattered?  What is more calming for sugar rush Josh than a RB who gets 10 yards every carry 

We are primarily a passing offense. It makes no sense taking a RB in the first round.  A true WR2 would make Josh that much better. Teams roll coverage towards Diggs and always have a safety over the top of him because they don't respect anyone else and others not named Diggs have a problem getting open.

Our line was absolutely atrocious against Cincy and Miami was bringing heat almost the whole game with the box stacked, so don't know what you expected Cook or Motor to do.  You're pretty much making my point for me.

6 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

We are primarily a passing offense. It makes no sense taking a RB in the first round.  A true WR2 would make Josh that much better. Teams roll coverage towards Diggs and always have a safety over the top of him because they don't respect anyone else and others not named Diggs have a problem getting open.

Our line was absolutely atrocious against Cincy and Miami was bringing heat almost the whole game with the box stacked, so don't know what you expected Cook or Motor to do.  You're pretty much making my point for me.

Where are you finding that WR 2?  FA WR are garbage this year, and it’s a weak draft at WR.

we are in drafting vicinity of Bijan.  I’m giving you a name, and how we can get them.

who is this WR 2 that you are referring to and how do we get them?

I want Gabe WR 4.  Tell me a FA or WR available at 27 better than Gabe?

I know Bijan is better than what we have at RB now 

14 minutes ago, Pete said:

Where are you finding that WR 2?  FA WR are garbage this year, and it’s a weak draft at WR.

we are in drafting vicinity of Bijan.  I’m giving you a name, and how we can get them.

who is this WR 2 that you are referring to and how do we get them?

I want Gabe WR 4.  Tell me a FA or WR available at 27 better than Gabe?

I know Bijan is better than what we have at RB now 

Rasheen Rice is my first choice in receiver and there's a much better chance of him being there than Robinson. Robinson is the #1 RB prospect in this year's draft on most boards, so doubtful we are the first team to take a RB at #27, especially one of the talent you say he is.

We can improve the O-line and sign a back like Raheem Mostert for cheap to share time with Cook and our backfield is fine. Our WR corp is not and any of great FA WRs are going to cost more than we can afford.

Edited by Billz4ever

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.