When the dust settled... Was easy to move on from the blowout game... But not the season itself

ShakAttack

8 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

OMG. Too much time on your hands. Good thing you aren't a professional  writer, trying to get his work published.

C'mon...edit!

The time spent writing that post pales in comparison to the years of agonizing over various Bills losses (especially Music City Miracle and 13 Seconds).  So I'd say that leveraging this platform to spew my thoughts over the 2022 Bills season was well worth exorcizing some of these demons, for me anyway.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

A major table that turned is that their division was supposed to be highly competitive and ours a cupcake. The reverse turned out to be true. 

or, we made our division harder than it needed to be.  Tua is good, the rest of the teams don't have an above-average QB.  The West still has great/good QBs.  

20 hours ago, Success said:

KC's run of home AFCCG's reminds me a bit of how things were earlier in the Pats run.  They always got Manning at their place.  He finally broke through - barely - when the Colts were able to host the Pats in '06, and Manning got the better of that rivalry from that point on.

A lot of things have to go right to get to a Super Bowl, especially these days in the AFC.  They didn't for us this year.  All we can do is saddle up and hope it works out better next season.  At least we have Allen, and still one of the best teams in the league.

it's true a lot has to go right, but a lot goes right more often when you have better talent at OL, and 2nd WR on offense, not just a top 2 QB in the league.  (not to mention playing a modern D style, etc).  

23 hours ago, QCity said:

I was told that was this year when Tyreek left.

Tyreek never saw 15-18 targets. This qb duo was always about Kelce.

4 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

Sure, and when that time arrives Josh Allen will be 35 or something.

Kelce turns 34 in Oct.  I think he'll have 2 more decent seasons. So once he retires Josh will be 28/29. Still well in his prime.  We just have to hope Andy doesn't draft a Higgins/Chase combo. That's where we'll get hosed.

18 hours ago, Man with No Name said:

the chiefs have a system that works. I always thought they would be severely weakened when they lost the threat of having the fastest open field WR in the league, but they didn't seem to miss him much once they got moving. I don't know what our issue is, but we do not fire on all cylinders the way KC does. 

There are just too many problems to start pointing fingers and imagine we are solving problems. I give up. Expectations were just higher than we were worth this year. Maybe next year will be more fun coming from the position of a dog. 

The Chiefs have vastly superior coaching. It's not even close.

18 hours ago, BobBelcher said:

I mean, after seeing what our defense and pass rush looked like when Von Miller was healthy, I do believe we could have met those expectations if he were healthy for the playoffs.  After all, this is what makes him such a special player.  Most guys with 8 sacks, they were probably registered on random passing plays, etc.  but with Miller, almost ALL of his 8 sacks were incredibly timely, and that is what you want to have in the playoffs.   Yes, that ONE player could have potentially changed the entire Bengals game.  But without a pass rush, there was never a chance.  Sub Mahomes in for Allen in that game, and the Bills still lose, probably just as badly.

I think the part that sucks the most, when I think about "next season" is that he tore his ACL, so he when he is back, he likely won't be back to 100%, and heck, he might never be 100% ever again.  I think if you could tell us "Von will be return at 100%" even if it were in Week 5-8 or so, we would have more hope for the team in 2023 because he really was making that much of a difference, even in Frazier's vanilla defense.

I've learned the biggest one of all, is overall health of the team.  You look at the 2 teams in the Super Bowl and you've got 2 of the healthiest teams in football.  You look at some of teams that went deep into the playoffs and lost and why they lost, and injuries stand out as much as anything...

- Bills lost Von Miller and lost a pass rush that was among the best in the NFL when he was healthy

- Niners lost their QBs and couldn't even throw a pass for half the game

- Bengals lost their OL and it finally caught up to them when they faced a HEALTHY and talented D-Line that was able to take advantage

Heck, if we are relatively healthy next season, that's an advantage in itself.

It sucks, but that's true with the NFL more so than any other sport.

This is especially true as the league has kept adding games.  It used to be 12!   It's become a lot more of a war of attrition (which to me means a game of luck) than it used to be.   I keep thinking though at SOME POINT, Lady Luck's got to smile on us.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.