Joe Danna named Bills safety coach

Draconator

Look out for this potential signing- 

Jonathan Owens, S

Bio: 27, 5’11, Missouri West, undrafted and signed by the Texans in 2021 for a two year, $1.2M contract

2022 Stats: 17 game, 125 tackles, 1 sack, 4 passes defended.

Keep or Release: Keep. Owens played the third most defensive snaps behind Christian Kirksey and Jalen Pitre. The husband to Olympic gold medalist Simone Biles also was second on the team in tackles. He was one of the most valuable players on the defense at just above $1M and would be inclined to sign a negotiated contract to stay in Houston. Whoever takes over for the defense will have a huge say, but at the right price Owens should stay.

https://www.battleredblog.com/2023/1/24/23556551/houston-texans-2022-free-agent-evaluation

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

It may be a negligible move, but I have a feeling the decision was in the works long before Cincinnati. 

Certainly.  But you can't just blame the Safeties coach and use the injuries as a reason they weren't better defensively.  Something's gotta give there.  

And hey, maybe it's to finally become a more scheme diverse unit and the incoming guy is better suited to that.  

The thought that this team looked at film and thought the defensive game plan was solid during the playoff the last couple of years is crazy to me. Yeah we won a lot of double digit games this year but we also made some subpar QBs look pretty good playing against the Bills. But ya cant say that during the season or you're a bad fan and should go cheer for the other team. 

Tinkering around with safeties coaches suggests Frazier is back for next season. No matter what happens this offseason this will be the most disappointing news for Bills fans.

It's disappointing that the Bills define a successful season as feasting on a largely mediocre league and getting punched in the face by the 1-2 decent teams come playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm tired of McDermott's "Humble & Hungry" approach. It's weak. Sounds like a mission statement for the Boy Scouts. This is the NFL! I'd prefer "Scoundrels and Super Bowls" or "Troublemakers and Trophy's". This Bills lack toughness. They cower when punched in the face. EVERY big running back in the NFL runs OVER them. Bills need a change in attitude... Fast.    

• Haha (+1) 1

I have a friend that works for an NFL team (not the Bills) and he told me that this is a very good hire.  He is known to be very good in the development of young players and to teach them to play in a disciplined system.  With the strong likelihood of the Bills having a secondary with at least two first or second year starters, this makes perfect sense.  Like most casual fans, I'm not qualified to pass judgement on the capability of an assistant coach.  That's why I reached out to someone who is in a position to know.  I hope this helps to ease the stress for the people that are out there with their "hair on fire" over this hiring.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

I have a friend that works for an NFL team (not the Bills) and he told me that this is a very good hire.  He is known to be very good in the development of young players and to teach them to play in a disciplined system.  With the strong likelihood of the Bills having a secondary with at least two first or second year starters, this makes perfect sense.  Like most casual fans, I'm not qualified to pass judgement on the capability of an assistant coach.  That's why I reached out to someone who is in a position to know.  I hope this helps to ease the stress for the people that are out there with their "hair on fire" over this hiring.

I appreciate a rational post.  While I would like to see other changes, this particular change may be a good one.  The Bills have some areas to improve, based on the last half of this season and the playoffs, but they remain one of the top teams in the NFL and are not, contrary to what some on this board think, run by incompetent rubes.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

Pretty incredible track record:  https://pro-football-history.com/coach/2238/joe-danna-bio

image.thumb.png.5ebdd728f22cd9efe425dd8ca041b4b7.png

Is this a coaching career that advanced?

Seems like someone getting less and less defensive responsibilities.

I wish him success... we need the help with a loss of veteran leadership backstopping our secondary.

Edited by WideNine
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, jethro_tull said:

the cincy game was enough of a coverage failure to justify the firing imho.  

there were other games too and it happened last season.  

It wasn't a SAFETIES coverage failure... it was a DEFENSIVE COVERAGE fsilure overall, which falls at the feet of Frazier. That's TWICE our defense has caved in two big playoff games.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.