Joe Danna named Bills safety coach

Draconator

guys lol relax. These are micro coaching positions that are taught by higher ups what they want to be worked on.

#1. Only Current coaching staff knows if our last Safety's coach was doing his job. Performance does not really dictate anything in a position like this. 

#2. Realistically half the micro coaches like this are not even listed on the Bills website.

#3. It's who you know and how dedicated you are to putting the hard work in, and following through your job and again... only the staff would know if another coach were doing their job or not... Stats, Injuries and rankings have 0 to do with the job these micro processioning coaches do...

IF say a DB or a LB coach or gets fired? its because they lost their dedication... lost their will to play for this organization. 

The S Coach that was fired? Had nothing to do with player performance on the field. Had everything to do with his teaching skills or his will to stay where he at. 

• Dislike 1

22 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

He coached in Tampa 2 for one year.   He also coached in multiple 3-4 attacking defenses, and a 4-2-5 with zone and man concepts.

He is a well traveled and multi-scheme coach.  Dont blast him for one year in Houston. 

If the Bills are smart they will start getting away from Frazier and do more to be more multiple is their coverages.     This may help with that.

Like someone noted in another topic, where is that Jim Johnson defense that McDermott was raised in? That's what we need. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Just seems odd that the position coach who had to deal with injuries to Hyde, Poyer and then the Hamlin situation, is the ONLY coach on staff to be fired. 

And he was prior nickel coach who may have been part of developing Taron before this year. 

Screams scapegoat

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, schoolhouserock said:

Houston had good safety play this past season.

Jalen Pitre had himself a great rookie season.

Was just about to say this. Every time I watched Pitre, he flashed. 

Being in Jacksonville before, you have to assume he helped develop Andre Cisco and Andrew Wingard. 

Wingard is a free agent and former teammate of Josh Allen's and mentioned on here a few times. Perhaps he is a fit that makes sense. 

I will say that the fact that Danna survived multiple coaching changes (namely two huge not so nice guys in Doug Marrone and Urban Meyer) says something about his perseverance and adaptability. He also learned a bunch under Perry Fewell, which means he is a Dick Jauron-Lovie Smith connect...that at least mean he is gonna know what Frazier wants. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just seems odd that the position coach who had to deal with injuries to Hyde, Poyer and then the Hamlin situation, is the ONLY coach on staff to be fired. 

Maybe the new guy has a doctor in the family & the Bills want to be extra vigilant with their safeties. 

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Interview went something like this:

So when it’s 4th and 19, do you teach the secondary to knock the ball down or go for the interception?

Take your time…..

So tell me, Joe ... how do you feel about cushions?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

With how things went this season the Safety Coach position was definitely tested, I guess they weren't satisfied with how the absolute ***** ton of adversity was handled?

Hamlin flashed. Johnson was a major liability. Both of them together was a huge problem for us. 

The Bills must believe they have starter quality depth in Hamlin/Johnson and coaching failed them? 

Otherwise I don't totally understand why we would move on. 

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

I mean the guy has coached some pro-bowlers.  But mainly as a DB Coach with guys like Revis and Jalen Ramsey.    Has some versatility in terms of both zone and man schemes and at the very least has coached in the NFL.   Salgado did a great job while he was here, but he had never coached at the NFL level before coming here.  He had the advantage of having both Hyde and Poyer here.    My guess is McDermott is looking for someone with more pro experience because the safety room is about to get a lot younger.

It's strange that McD would toss aside an assistant who's been serving in the NFL under the HC for 6 seasons, was in year 1 as safeties coach and had been promoted twice before his latest role. 

But let's say it's more related to scheme diversity...that still points to this not being a focus for a few years and the HC shares in that.  It shouldn't take 5+ seasons to understand that modern offenses going up against specific alignments in coverage are going to figure them out.    

Seems more like throwing a deck chair off the Titanic after their drubbing versus Cincinnati.  

Alternatively, they fired a coach who had Hyde and Poyer to obscure things, while their backups spent 2 and 4 years under his wing and flopped badly when they hit the field 

• Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

It's strange that McD would toss aside an assistant who's been serving in the NFL under the HC for 6 seasons, was in year 1 as safeties coach and had been promoted twice before his latest role. 

But let's say it's more related to scheme diversity...that still points to this not being a focus for a few years and the HC shares in that.  It shouldn't take 5+ seasons to understand that modern offenses going up against specific alignments in coverage are going to figure them out.    

Seems more like throwing a deck chair off the Titanic after their drubbing versus Cincinnati.  

It may be a negligible move, but I have a feeling the decision was in the works long before Cincinnati. 

agree w teh above, does feel like a scapegoat move.

i haven't heard that they re signed the ole turtle yet, so i still hold out hope that he's gone.

im thinking they brought danna in because they expect to train up some new safeties which we will likely be drafting.  i really hope it doesn't come at the expense of WR and OL help, but if it did i would be anything but shocked.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.