Joe Danna named Bills safety coach

Draconator

23 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Just seems odd that the position coach who had to deal with injuries to Hyde, Poyer and then the Hamlin situation, is the ONLY coach on staff to be fired. 

4 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I mean the guy has coached some pro-bowlers.  But mainly as a DB Coach with guys like Revis and Jalen Ramsey.    Has some versatility in terms of both zone and man schemes and at the very least has coached in the NFL.   Salgado did a great job while he was here, but he had never coached at the NFL level before coming here.  He had the advantage of having both Hyde and Poyer here.    My guess is McDermott is looking for someone with more pro experience because the safety room is about to get a lot younger.

My theory, similar to Heath Farwell not getting the word to Bass to squibb the kick, is Salgado is the coach who didn't beat it into the heads of his backfield to knock the ball down on 4th and forever in the Vikings game. It's legitimately a firable offense and could be argued that it cost the Bills the #1 seed and a week off. 

Edited by transient
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

58 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Just seems odd that the position coach who had to deal with injuries to Hyde, Poyer and then the Hamlin situation, is the ONLY coach on staff to be fired. 

Not only that, Salgado has been here since 2017. Poyer and Hyde have been stellar the whole time and backups seemed to know their assignments when on the field. I understand that sometimes coaches get fired for reasons unrelated to their main job such as disagreements/personality conflicts with their managers. Maybe he told McD and Frazier they were stupid for rolling out soft coverages against the Bengals and they wanted him off the staff if he wasn’t on board with their plan. Who knows?  It’s just weird though. 

I’ve got no idea what’s up with the new hire. I hope he does well here. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Not only that, Salgado has been here since 2017. Poyer and Hyde have been stellar the whole time and backups seemed to know their assignments when on the field. I understand that sometimes coaches get fired for reasons unrelated to their main job such as disagreements/personality conflicts with their managers. Maybe he told McD and Frazier they were stupid for rolling out soft coverages against the Bengals and they wanted him off the staff if he wasn’t on board with their plan. Who knows?  It’s just weird though. 

Salgado was the safeties coach for just this season.

Bobby Babich (now LBs coach) was the safeties coach from 2018-2021, and he was assistant DB coach in 2017 with no safety coach listed so its safe to say that this the person who should be credited with any stellar play from our safeties. 

The Bills are using a lot more 2 deep coverages (as is the entire NFL) so maybe Salgado just wasn't up to the task.  The safety play this year was atrocious even for backup calibre players.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

It also seems almost anti-process, and at odds with the peace and love message we hear from OBD. I agree, if anyone deserved a second chance, it would be that guy, seems pretty rough. Let’s scapegoat the dude who faced the most adversity at his position, and return to playing prevent defense all game next season. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Salgado wasn't the safeties coach until this year.  Prior to this year he coached nickel-back.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Houston had good safety play this past season.

Jalen Pitre had himself a great rookie season.

I think Houston also ran a lot of nickel defense… though I think they started going more true Tampa 2 later in the season (if memory serves)

Mixing threads… I’m still trying to figure out the Bernard pick! Maybe the Bills go bigger at the nickel spot and this defense starts to look more like a traditional Tampa 2? Put Taron at safety and pair him with Micah in 2023? That could get Bernard on the field. Maybe a similar transition occurred in Houston this season? Pitre definitely started more as a nickel safety but ended up deeper as the year wore on.

Anyways, just speculation. This hire fits the current system or some minor variation of it. Bills are definitely running it back.

• Like (+1) 1

Who knows what went on internally, but I wonder if one of the main issues actually was Jaquan Johnson. Obviously, Hyde and Poyer are practically coaches themselves back there, so things always seemed smooth. But when we had to turn to the young guys, Jaquan was obviously not ready. And though Damar was a tough SOB (especially for his size) when it came to hitting and tackling, maybe his coverage skills did not improve throughout the year. Maybe Salgado was good at getting his guys to implement the scheme/gameplan and things like that, but isn't great at teaching/developing players. And as someone said upthread, over the next few years with Poyer's age/contract, Hyde's age, and the salary cap, we may have a lot of young safeties that will need to be coached up. I don't think Salgado was some kind of scapegoat, my guess is some coaching deficiency may have been revealed throughout this season and they wanted an upgrade.

Of course, I know nothing of Joe Danna at this point, but to look only at the teams he's coached for and their record to judge him is very short-sighted. Gotta dig deeper (a position coach is not responsible for overall team record). Who has he coached up, what is his reputation amongst other coaches and players, is he known as a good teacher, etc.? As I said, I don't know anything about him yet, but I am not going to pan the hire until we know/hear/see more.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, H2o said:

He coached in Lovie's Tampon 2 defense. He'll fit in perfectly here. 

He coached in Tampa 2 for one year.   He also coached in multiple 3-4 attacking defenses, and a 4-2-5 with zone and man concepts.

He is a well traveled and multi-scheme coach.  Dont blast him for one year in Houston. 

If the Bills are smart they will start getting away from Frazier and do more to be more multiple is their coverages.     This may help with that.

• Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, folz said:

Who knows what went on internally, but I wonder if one of the main issues actually was Jaquan Johnson. Obviously, Hyde and Poyer are practically coaches themselves back there, so things always seemed smooth. But when we had to turn to the young guys, Jaquan was obviously not ready. And though Damar was a tough SOB (especially for his size) when it came to hitting and tackling, maybe his coverage skills did not improve throughout the year. Maybe Salgado was good at getting his guys to implement the scheme/gameplan and things like that, but isn't great at teaching/developing players. And as someone said upthread, over the next few years with Poyer's age/contract, Hyde's age, and the salary cap, we may have a lot of young safeties that will need to be coached up. I don't think Salgado was some kind of scapegoat, my guess is some coaching deficiency may have been revealed throughout this season and they wanted an upgrade.

Of course, I know nothing of Joe Danna at this point, but to look only at the teams he's coached for and their record to judge him is very short-sighted. Gotta dig deeper (a position coach is not responsible for overall team record). Who has he coached up, what is his reputation amongst other coaches and players, is he known as a good teacher, etc.? As I said, I don't know anything about him yet, but I am not going to pan the hire until we know/hear/see more.

The Jaquan Johnson stuff is probably a big part of this.  He was considered the MAIN backup at either S spot and he just wasn't ready to play and didn't look like he could play in the NFL.

Just looking into Danna's coaching upbringing.  He has some good secondary coaches in his mentor list: Emmitt Thomas, Todd Bowles, Perry Fewell

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.