Make your choice: Bills next future

Italian Bills

I want to believe that winning just 1 super bowl would make everything better — that 1 super bowl would make future seasons far more bearable in the anxiety department. Like, if we had a super bowl win in the bag, I could just be like, "ah, we didn't win it this year, no biggie." 

But, I just don't know, guys.

I mean, look at Eagles fans. They finally got their first super bowl win 5 years ago. Are they happier? No, they're still the same old angry, aggressive Eagles fans. 

I'm starting to think that maybe a Bills super bowl wouldn't actually bring us any lasting happiness and maybe we just have to do that work for ourselves.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Gregg said:

Give me the Super Bowl championship season and I will have no problem going thru a long rebuild after that.

Sadly, you can only take one or two big swings at having a shot at a SB. If you swing and miss, you are left empty handed with years of suckitude to pay for the big swings. If I could be guaranteed a SB victory, I take it, but that’s not how it works. We took a shot by signing Von, but our shiny new toy got broken right after Christmas. Hope next year he can make that huge difference we had hoped for. 

I’m with Beane, I want to build for long term success. You need as many chances as you can get to be good enough, and lucky enough, to come out on top. This may mean some changes are necessary, and I’m suspect of the scouting. There is no salary cap on scouts. We should buy the best and hopefully bring in more cheap talent as a result. 

19 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Playoffs are nice, but you work to make the playoffs for one reason.  Gotta get the trophy.  At least once.  Get us off the list of teams that never won it.

If you are not in it, you cannot win it. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Playoffs are nice, but you work to make the playoffs for one reason.  Gotta get the trophy.  At least once.  Get us off the list of teams that never won it.

One thing I'm starting to see and getting startled at are the number of Bills fans perfectly content with winning the regular season. It's like the playoffs and SB aren't as important to their "happiness" anymore.  With each season the bar gets lowered. 

whatever it takes to win the first Lombardi.....sign me up......1 year of immortality and 9 years of sucking......yes please !

would i want to continue repeating that cycle.....boy that's a big price to pay.....but heck yea !!

we'd have like 5 lombardi's by now, with a 6th coming....

So, if the Bills go win the superbowl with McDermott and Allen, and then have to rebuild for 8-10 years, what happened to Allen? I guess that means he ends up being mediocre for the next decade, which sucks to think about. How could that be? Or, maybe he has a career ending injury, which is incredibly sucky to think about.

I'd take the superbowl, but it is hard to imagine being a mediocre team afterward for a decade while still having an elite QB and a superbowl winning coach. McDemott is always good for getting his teams to the playoffs.

I think what would be more likely is you win the superbowl and then fail to get back for the next decade even though you still have a good team most years (because you still have an elite QB and a good coach). Similar to Rodgers and the Packers, or Brees with the Saints (in fact, the Saints missed the playoffs for a stretch there when their defense was atrocious).

20 hours ago, T master said:

Let me see 17 year play off drought, meaningless seasons, bad HC's, bad supporting staff, bad front office, bad ownership decisions .

Play offs most every season, AFC east Championships, chance of going to the Super Bowl each season, above average front office, winning percentage to rival all time winningest coach in franchise history & franchise stability that got us a new stadium  .

Well it kind of seems like a no brainer to me plus if we take the later of these 2 i would hope the day will come that we can add a SB to that list . 

Great point that seems to me missed here. 

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Give me Ben Roethlisberger's career with Pittsburgh (two SB's, three appearances) over 18 seasons.  Only missed the playoffs six times.

This could be a good outcome but unfortunately the choices are set: 

1. WIN THE DAMN SB but after that, no more joy in the regular season, just awful seasons with Pats, Phins and Jets (yes, the Jets!) ruling

2. NO SB but every year a true contender, winning the Division, record between 13 and 15 wins every season and always at least the AFCCG 

It’s a pain to chose one or the other… you are between one year of greatness vs many years with four full months of excitement and pleasure 

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

One thing I'm starting to see and getting startled at are the number of Bills fans perfectly content with winning the regular season. It's like the playoffs and SB aren't as important to their "happiness" anymore.  With each season the bar gets lowered. 

The startling part is the number of people who attribute a SB win to their happiness. You’re attributing happiness to SOMETHING THAT YOU HAVE NO CONTROL IOVER. 
As to the bar being lowered, everyone here wants a SB. Nothing has been lowered. Expectations have grown to the crescendo of this year’s “we’re SB favorites”   That’s not lowering the bar. 
Attributing happiness to a SB just sounds like the wrong way to live life. 

:beer:  to your happiness. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MJS said:

So, if the Bills go win the superbowl with McDermott and Allen, and then have to rebuild for 8-10 years, what happened to Allen? I guess that means he ends up being mediocre for the next decade, which sucks to think about. How could that be? Or, maybe he has a career ending injury, which is incredibly sucky to think about.

I'd take the superbowl, but it is hard to imagine being a mediocre team afterward for a decade while still having an elite QB and a superbowl winning coach. McDemott is always good for getting his teams to the playoffs.

I think what would be more likely is you win the superbowl and then fail to get back for the next decade even though you still have a good team most years (because you still have an elite QB and a good coach). Similar to Rodgers and the Packers, or Brees with the Saints (in fact, the Saints missed the playoffs for a stretch there when their defense was atrocious).

There in the two bolded sections is the conundrum. You’d think that with a franchise QB and a solid coach you’d always be a contender. But that’s not the case if your short term deal with the devil means putting all your eggs in the “immediate basket”. I suspect with more resources the Saints could have improved that defense and remained more competitive. Payton “only” made the playoffs 9 of 14 years, I believe (I’m not looking that up gain, but I think that is accurate). That’s about 64% of just making the playoffs, with a HOF QB. Not very impressive. 

For the record, if I could be guaranteed a SB victory, I’d take the trophy. BUT, there is no guarantee, ever. There is only somewhat improved odds. You still need some luck. I’d rather have a real chance every year than take a big swing and waste Josh and company for the foreseeable future because we left glaring holes with no means of addressing them. I am NOT saying others are wrong, it’s personal preference. I enjoy being pleasantly entertained every year. 

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

A SuperBowl win is all that matters now. You really think LA Rams fans regret going all in?

How about all the teams that did NOT win that year? What if the Rams sold their souls and DIDN’T win it. That was a real possibility. How would you feel as a Rams fan if you were empty handed that year, then faced the major rebuild and years of suckiness. It’s a gamble.

I’m not saying you are wrong if that is your choice, it’s a personal thing. I’m glad Beane sees it the way I do…..build for lasting success and get your shots every year that way. It doesn’t mean you aren’t trying to fix what you can along the way to improve your odds. 

On 2/2/2023 at 9:12 AM, Gregg said:

Give me the Super Bowl championship season and I will have no problem going thru a long rebuild after that.

If i had to choose, i agree.  But I want McBeane's vision, which is playoffs every year and multiple Super Bowls.  

Just now, Augie said:

How about all the teams that did NOT win that year? What if the Rams sold their souls and DIDN’T win it. That was a real possibility. How would you feel as a Rams fan if you were empty handed that year, then faced the major rebuild and years of suckiness. It’s a gamble.

I’m not saying you are wrong if that is your choice, it’s a personal thing. I’m glad Beane sees it the way I do…..build for lasting success and get your shots every year that way. It doesn’t mean you aren’t trying to fix what you can along the way to improve your odds. 

Ok. Not saying you are wrong. Its a reasonable take.

But then how do you feel about the Packers and Cowboys? This board loves to rip on these teams that are SB favorites only to fall short.  When does Allen become Dak Prescott on this board? We are now two years removed from even a Championship game appearance.  Is that really sustained success? I guess if you think Division Championships are success. And look I get it only one team wins the whole thing. A few plays go differently last season and the Bengals win the SB and you are correct the Rams look terrible. But that didn't happen.

26 minutes ago, Augie said:

There in the two bolded sections is the conundrum. You’d think that with a franchise QB and a solid coach you’d always be a contender. But that’s not the case if your short term deal with the devil means putting all your eggs in the “immediate basket”. I suspect with more resources the Saints could have improved that defense and remained more competitive. Payton “only” made the playoffs 9 of 14 years, I believe (I’m not looking that up gain, but I think that is accurate). That’s about 64% of just making the playoffs, with a HOF QB. Not very impressive. 

For the record, if I could be guaranteed a SB victory, I’d take the trophy. BUT, there is no guarantee, ever. There is only somewhat improved odds. You still need some luck. I’d rather have a real chance every year than take a big swing and waste Josh and company for the foreseeable future because we left glaring holes with no means of addressing them. I am NOT saying others are wrong, it’s personal preference. I enjoy being pleasantly entertained every year. 

Yeah, but it wasn't a stretch of ten bad years for the Saints. Only a few. It's harder to imagine having Allen as our QB and missing the playoffs for a full decade.

6 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Ok. Not saying you are wrong. Its a reasonable take.

But then how do you feel about the Packers and Cowboys? This board loves to rip on these teams that are SB favorites only to fall short.  When does Allen become Dak Prescott on this board? We are now two years removed from even a Championship game appearance.  Is that really sustained success? I guess if you think Division Championships are success. And look I get it only one team wins the whole thing. A few plays go differently last season and the Bengals win the SB and you are correct the Rams look terrible. But that didn't happen.

I think teams are like your kids, they all have different personalities with different strengths and weaknesses. I think the Packers are defined by a quirky Aaron Rodgers (who was never a favorite of mine) and the Cowboys are the Jerry Jones soap opera. I much prefer what I see as our stable QB and ownership. I’ll take our situation over theirs 10 out of 10 times. 

We have things to fix, I get that. (I’d start with a hard look at scouting, but maybe that’s just me.) But in the big picture I still think we are a team to be taken very seriously every year. I enjoy having 12-15 wins a year and being a contender, and the thought of going back to 6-8 wins is thoroughly depressing. In the end, it’s all personal preference. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.