Exactly what does the Head Coach do????

Billsfan1972

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Coordinators have jobs to do and you evaluate them like any other position. If you feel like they are chronically underperforming, and you believe they are a part of the problem, you should fire them and find a new one.

Yeah, if you are just firing them to send a message or to have a scapegoat, that's stupid. But if you are not impressed with their schemes, playcalling, leadership, player development, game plans, etc., you fire them.

It's totally possible for the problems on one side of the ball to be the coordinator's fault. Yes, ultimately the head coach has to answer for everything, but it's also up to the coach to make personnel changes when needed. Bringing in the right coordinators is a huge part of the job.

I don't disagree with that and I don't think either of ours are perfect but looking at the body of work they are good enough. 

43 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I posted this in another thread about Tim Graham's statements just now ...

------------

If giving up on Beane and/or McDermott isn't the answer, then what's the question?  

What's the standard of Bills football?  

After all, the owners surely view it as a business, as do the coaches and players.  But the fans aren't allowed to consider it a business too?   Again, it' be one thing if they were handing out complimentary tickets to games, but they aren't.  And the prices for the new stadium include PSLs (not business?) and skyrocketing ticket prices.  Are fans to treat it as charity?  

If the standard is the "Last 20 Years," where we've averaged 6.6 Wins since 2000, the first year of our playoff drought, then sure, I suppose it's not the answer.  

But if reaching and winning a Super Bowl is, then it likely is.  

As a refresher, Frasier, who should have been improving during his time here, has allowed over the past 5 playoff games the following average metrics:  

31 Points Against us per game 

25 Completions per game

40 Passing Attempts per game

... for 279 Passing Yards per game 

2.2 Passing TDs per game 

4 INTs in all 5 playoff games, all four against NE (2) and MIA (2), none against Cinci or KC 

25 carries for 120 Rushing Yards per game 

1.2 Rushing TDs/game 

388 Total Yards 

31 of 63 3rd-Down conversions (49.2%) total in all five games 

7 of 8 4th-Down conversions (87.5%) total in all five games 

25 1st-Downs per game allowed 

2.2 Sacks/game generated 

1 Fumble Recovery in all five games  

I would imagine that the YPP allowed blows too.  Can get that if we really want, but this paints all the picture we need of our illustrious playoff defense.  

Going down that list, those numbers would rank as such in regular season stats:  

DFL, 31st, DFL, DFL, DFL, 18th, 15th, 27th, 30th, DFL, DFL, DFL, 22nd, and 31st.  

So in case it's not obvious, as soon as we've gotten to the playoffs, our defense goes from #1 ranked or near there to NFL worst.  That's not McDermott, Beane, or Frasier??  

McDermott is obviously a part of that.  So is Beane considering that 9 of his 14 day 1 & 2 draft picks have been on defense, and that his last three 1st-rounders were all defense, and 4 of his last 5 1st-rounders defense, with his only non-defense 1st-rounder having been Allen five drafts ago.  They've also been D-heavy in free-agency.  

So perspective is relevant here.   And what's the defense going to be like when, as now, they need to start putting those day 1 & 2 resources to offense?  

In short, if the bar is "The Last 20 Years," then there's cause for continued celebration.  

If not however, the above defensive performances are never going to get us there.  Keep in mind that Frasier has regressed as such, despite, according to him and McBeane, having better talent.  Everyone's obviously going to draw their own conclusion.  

31 of 63 3rd-Down conversions (49.2%) total in all of our last 5 playoff games 

7 of 8 4th-Down conversions (87.5%) total in all of our last five playoff games 

25 1st-Downs per game allowed 

Those first two would rank DFL during the regular season, and by no small margin.  

I don't think comparing how a defense does against playoff teams and then comparing to season averages (which will by their nature include games against good teams and bad teams) is the way to go. It is a poor comparison. Among the 14 playoff teams the Bills D was 4th in ypg, 8th in ppg, 4th on 3rd down, 7th in takeaways. 

And to clarify, my position is that ultimately the failures are on the regime just as much as the regular season success is on them. I just don't, yet, get to "fire them." You have to look at the overall body of work, the analytics that underpin the numbers and as yourself is this a regime that deserves firing. I understand why to some people the answer is "yes." But to me it is still "no." It doesn't mean I am accepting mediocrity. It just means I still have belief that they can get the Bills over the hump. You don't produce teams that consistently rank so highly in raw numbers and the more advanced metrics like DVOA by accident. You do that because you are a well run organisation. I get it being well run for 10 years but never getting your hands on the Lombardi would suck. And eventually everyone reaches their frustration breaking point. I'm not there yet. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

43 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't disagree with that and I don't think either of ours are perfect but looking at the body of work they are good enough. 

If I was to move on from a coordinator, it would be Frazier. McDermott has taken playcalling duties from him multiple times over the years in specific games. When he does, it usually has fantastic effects and gives the defense a spark. McDermott is really good at coaching up the secondary as well. I personally think that he covers up a lot of inefficiencies from Frazier with his involvement. Separate Frazier from McDermott and put him on a team with an offensive head coach, and I would think he would not have as good of results in the regular season.

I've also seen a real lack of evolution with this defense and an inability or unwillingness to adjust at times. Even if that is on McDermott, maybe bring in another coordinator who can inject some new life and new ideas into the defensive scheme.

• Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, folz said:

You must be joking, right? I have pretty much stayed away from the board since the Cincy loss because of all of the negativity (just peak in here and there), and yet I have still seen tons of posts calling out McDermott and many saying it is time to move on/fire him, or at least saying he should be on the hot seat, or analyzing the mistakes he's made, or what he did wrong. You, yourself, have been calling out McDermott pretty consistently.

This just seems like a thinly-veiled "Fire McDermott" or "I don't like McDermott" rehash thread.

And the "neither am I" in bold, red font makes me think of Shakespeare. "The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

this place has been toxic since the loss. But I get it. Most fans can’t seem to handle a 1st quarter punt. 

Edited by nedboy7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Please no more Culture, Attitude & Process😉

There are plenty of coaches who seem to take the fall or are blamed when things go bad/sideways, but McD seems to skate.

The first one is literally one of the most important things any leader can do, so not sure we want no more of those things! 😂

As for the second, I think ownerships (and likely even the league's) definition of "things going bad" don't include making the playoffs year after year.  And yeah, I'm as frustrated as anyone we didn't win the SB, but we're also not pooping the bed game after game, season after season...

As for the bigger question of the post: NFL Coach Responsibilities

:beer: 

Edited by Heitz

6 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I'm really at a loss when it comes to reading threads & posts here about McDermott.

While no one is demanding his job (though they do annually with McCarthy in Dallas), and neither am I, there hasn't been a single thread calling him out here.

The majority here want Frazier gone and many are questioning Dorsey after one year on the job.

But I'm at a complete loss on what McDermott does as the HC and what his responsibilities are.

Please no more Culture, Attitude & Process😉.  I want to know seriously what is his job and has he done a good one?

We have many here too pointing at him being responsible for the draft and the Bills choices to go heavy on defense.

He is responsible for in game decisions and again I ask how would you grade him there?

I've been told Frazier runs McD's defense.  So who was responsible for 13 seconds?

We know the ST coach was fired & still not sure why it wasn't a squib or angled kick (as I screamed at my TV January 2022).

Last three playoff losses the defense allowed over 1400 yards and offenses to do whatever they wanted against the Bills defense.  Do you know they allowed 29,30 & 30 first downs those last three games (btw vs. NE in the no punt game the Bills had 29)?

Go back to the Houston loss too and how they bungled that game.

I've gone over the Cincy game and ask who was responsible for the Defensive game plan, especially the first quarter (where most offenses are scripted) and Cincy did exactly the same as 3 weeks prior walking up and down the field and the Bills seemed utterly unprepared.

I then blame Dorsey when somehow the game was still in reach at 17-7 and the Bills are first & 10 at the Bengals 39 with timeouts and one minute left in the half and blow it and then after taking the third quarter kick and first & goal at the 8 three more lousy plays and the game was lost there.

All year I saw so little creativity on offense and well we know McD isn't an offensive minded coach so I guess we can't blame him on that side of the ball.  Is that how it works?

There are plenty of coaches who seem to take the fall or are blamed when things go bad/sideways, but McD seems to skate.

Look I have warmed on McD over the years, and think he has improved, but this was the Superbowl favourite the entire year with Allen as the QB, but I still see so many warts and he to me seems to be the "Teflon Don" of coaches. 

I can’t imagine that McDermott and Beane aren’t a package deal and I think their tenures will end on the same day - whether that’s one or twenty years from now. That’s probably for the best anyway. 

I did want a bit of a shake up in the coaching staff if only as a sign that McDermott understood that changes were needed. I think I’m sitting here thinking the same thing as most Bills fans - that next year will look a lot like the last 3. I just wanted some sign that the team was making some changes.

My concern at OC is that Dorsey isn’t up for it. I really don’t want the Bills to be his on-the-job-training. My concern at DC is that Frazier is just helping McDermott run his scheme and any change would just result in another DC doing the same. At least a new DC might bring in some fresh ideas and aggressiveness come playoff time. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Heitz said:

The first one is literally one of the most important things any leader can do, so not sure we want no more of those things! 😂

As for the second, I think ownerships (and likely even the league's) definition of "things going bad" don't include making the playoffs year after year.  And yeah, I'm as frustrated as anyone we didn't win the SB, but we're also not pooping the bed game after game, season after season...

As for the bigger question of the post: NFL Coach Responsibilities

:beer: 

I think we all agree Urban Meyer did a bad job with the Culture, but sorry the cliche about "The Process" is old.  

All coaches should bring a strong culture, not so sure how unique McD's was.

4 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I can’t imagine that McDermott and Beane aren’t a package deal and I think their tenures will end on the same day - whether that’s one or twenty years from now. That’s probably for the best anyway. 

I did want a bit of a shake up in the coaching staff if only as a sign that McDermott understood that changes were needed. I think I’m sitting here thinking the same thing as most Bills fans - that next year will look a lot like the last 3. I just wanted some sign that the team was making some changes.

My concern at OC is that Dorsey isn’t up for it. I really don’t want the Bills to be his on-the-job-training. My concern at DC is that Frazier is just helping McDermott run his scheme and any change would just result in another DC doing the same. At least a new DC might bring in some fresh ideas and aggressiveness come playoff time. 

Look I was concerned the second half of the season, but figured come the playoffs, they'd figure it out & maybe were playing a little possum during the season (i.e. tricks up there sleeves). 

Then Hamlin happened and we collectively held our breathes.  Week one things were better but not out of the woods.  Miami playoff game, still a little concern and just a weird game that just as easily could have been 45-10 as opposed to a nail-biter. 

The issue though was exacerbated, when vs. Cincy they came out and didn't change a single thing from three weeks earlier at home and the coaching staff looked completely unprepared, seemingly made no adjustments and when still in the game, seemed to rollover and wave the white flag come 5 minutes into the third quarter.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I think we all agree Urban Meyer did a bad job with the Culture, but sorry the cliche about "The Process" is old.  

All coaches should bring a strong culture, not so sure how unique McD's was.

Agree to disagree on "the process".  Having a set, consistent philosophy and way of approaching things is always preferred in sports as it is in business - helps ya get consistent results and helps drive your culture. :beer: 

OK, coaches should bring a strong culture - doesn't mean they do.  Heck, not even most of the Bills past coaches have brought a strong culture, let alone all NFL coaches.  If you think McD's culture with the Bills is bad WTF was the culture before he got here!? 😳 🤣

13 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It should be. And it’s not bad. .500 playoff record is not bad.

So winning Wildcard weekend and at home is acceptable?  The Bills won two playoff games once coming off a 13-3 year with tons of momentum and were tooth & nail the first game (vs. Indy) and another tough one vs. Baltimore.

KC & Cincy blew them out of the water, they destroyed NE, did nothing offensively vs. Jax, coaching may ahve lost them vs. Houston and we all know 13 seconds.

If you're happy, so be it.  

58 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Look I was concerned the second half of the season, but figured come the playoffs, they'd figure it out & maybe were playing a little possum during the season (i.e. tricks up there sleeves). 

Then Hamlin happened and we collectively held our breathes.  Week one things were better but not out of the woods.  Miami playoff game, still a little concern and just a weird game that just as easily could have been 45-10 as opposed to a nail-biter. 

The issue though was exacerbated, when vs. Cincy they came out and didn't change a single thing from three weeks earlier at home and the coaching staff looked completely unprepared, seemingly made no adjustments and when still in the game, seemed to rollover and wave the white flag come 5 minutes into the third quarter.

I agree, but I was a little more concerned about the Miami playoff game. We just looked sloppy. I was worried, but thought that as long as they got all that out of the way and came in focused the rest of the way we’d be competitive. They did seem to clean up the sloppiness for Cincy, but the game plans on both sides of the ball were awful. 

46 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

So winning Wildcard weekend and at home is acceptable?  The Bills won two playoff games once coming off a 13-3 year with tons of momentum and were tooth & nail the first game (vs. Indy) and another tough one vs. Baltimore.

KC & Cincy blew them out of the water, they destroyed NE, did nothing offensively vs. Jax, coaching may ahve lost them vs. Houston and we all know 13 seconds.

If you're happy, so be it.  

Happy is the wrong way to put it.

How do you improve on being a final 8 or better team in the NFL every year? Firing the coaching staff is not the way. Maybe firing a coordinator or position coach makes sense, but probably not when you’re top 5 on offense and defense.

If you’re 1-2 games away from reaching the Super Bowl every year eventually you will get there. 

There are very few coaches with multiple Super Bowl appearances. Very few become available. So how exactly are you upgrading a coaching staff that gets you 1-2 games away from Super Bowl every year?

Is getting 1-2 to games away a success? Yes. Is it the goal? No. No one should be content with losing in the playoffs. The Bills need to be better to beat the top 2 teams in the AFC.

Blowout losses like we saw vs Cincinnati are unacceptable. 2 blowout losses in a row without advancing to the Super Bowl would definitely heat up McDermott’s seat. I don’t think it’s warming yet. 

A real head football coach like Bill Belichick? Or a head football coach like Sean McDermott that bluffs his way while pretending he knows what he’s doing as a head football coach in the NFL? I would bet the ranch, the farm whatever one has Sean McDermott isn’t winning the Super Bowl Championship next season regardless what the Buffalo Bills do in the offseason.

Because Sean McDermott isn’t good enough. BSF don’t you trust the process as a Buffalo Bills fan? No I don’t it is ridiculous corny saying that I think is a way to always explain away failure. Win a Super Bowl you bum Sean McDermott. Sean McDermott is a bum who should be fired he is wasting football talent, time and a lot of money of Bills fans because he can’t prepare a football team every week consistently in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

16 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

A real head football coach like Bill Belichick? Or a head football coach like Sean McDermott that bluffs his way while pretending he knows what he’s doing as a head football coach in the NFL? I would bet the ranch, the farm whatever one has Sean McDermott isn’t winning the Super Bowl Championship next season regardless what the Buffalo Bills do in the offseason.

Because Sean McDermott isn’t good enough. BSF don’t you trust the process as a Buffalo Bills fan? No I don’t it is ridiculous corny saying that I think is a way to always explain away failure. Win a Super Bowl you bum Sean McDermott. Sean McDermott is a bum who should be fired he is wasting football talent, time and a lot of money of Bills fans because he can’t prepare a football team every week consistently in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Actually  I went back about 12-15 years to see worse home losses In the playoffs. Guess what? There weren't many, if any.

Even the lopsided ones were closer going into the 4th.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think comparing how a defense does against playoff teams and then comparing to season averages (which will by their nature include games against good teams and bad teams) is the way to go. It is a poor comparison. Among the 14 playoff teams the Bills D was 4th in ypg, 8th in ppg, 4th on 3rd down, 7th in takeaways. 

And to clarify, my position is that ultimately the failures are on the regime just as much as the regular season success is on them. I just don't, yet, get to "fire them." You have to look at the overall body of work, the analytics that underpin the numbers and as yourself is this a regime that deserves firing. I understand why to some people the answer is "yes." But to me it is still "no." It doesn't mean I am accepting mediocrity. It just means I still have belief that they can get the Bills over the hump. You don't produce teams that consistently rank so highly in raw numbers and the more advanced metrics like DVOA by accident. You do that because you are a well run organisation. I get it being well run for 10 years but never getting your hands on the Lombardi would suck. And eventually everyone reaches their frustration breaking point. I'm not there yet. 

Well, that's the difference in fan experiences and expectations seemingly.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.