Exactly what does the Head Coach do????

Billsfan1972

50 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

The head coach argues with game officials (when on Camera)

They place their hands on their knees and stare at the offense and defensive lines, this makes them look more like a head coach

Some pace, clap and chew big wads of gum....

Most shake hands with the opposing coach after the game, this makes them appear to be a good sport even though they hate each other....

Jason Sudeikis Yes GIF by Apple TV+

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Games are won during the week. 

What you saw vs the Bengals was a team not prepared to play. It falls squarely on the shoulders of McDermott and his staff. But you don’t grade the staff based solely on that game.

But the grade should be weighted heavily towards the game that ended your season 3 years in a row. 😉

• Agree 2

39 minutes ago, arcane said:

Eye rolling as if it's THOSE people incessantly spamming every thread and making new ones nonstop to say the same ***** over and over again 

Loll OK buddy

Is that a dig at me (original post) or because he was worried about the McD "Fanboys" to come to his defense?

The point I am asking is what does a HC's job entail and then yes whether McD has been successful.  No one can question the record since Allen's second year. 

However I think the last three years Regular Seasons results are almost solely due to have Allen as the QB.   

Edited by Billsfan1972

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I'm really at a loss when it comes to reading threads & posts here about McDermott.

While no one is demanding his job (though they do annually with McCarthy in Dallas), and neither am I, there hasn't been a single thread calling him out here.

The majority here want Frazier gone and many are questioning Dorsey after one year on the job.

But I'm at a complete loss on what McDermott does as the HC and what his responsibilities are.

Please no more Culture, Attitude & Process😉.  I want to know seriously what is his job and has he done a good one?

We have many here too pointing at him being responsible for the draft and the Bills choices to go heavy on defense.

He is responsible for in game decisions and again I ask how would you grade him there?

I've been told Frazier runs McD's defense.  So who was responsible for 13 seconds?

We know the ST coach was fired & still not sure why it wasn't a squib or angled kick (as I screamed at my TV January 2022).

Last three playoff losses the defense allowed over 1400 yards and offenses to do whatever they wanted against the Bills defense.  Do you know they allowed 29,30 & 30 first downs those last three games (btw vs. NE in the no punt game the Bills had 29)?

Go back to the Houston loss too and how they bungled that game.

I've gone over the Cincy game and ask who was responsible for the Defensive game plan, especially the first quarter (where most offenses are scripted) and Cincy did exactly the same as 3 weeks prior walking up and down the field and the Bills seemed utterly unprepared.

I then blame Dorsey when somehow the game was still in reach at 17-7 and the Bills are first & 10 at the Bengals 39 with timeouts and one minute left in the half and blow it and then after taking the third quarter kick and first & goal at the 8 three more lousy plays and the game was lost there.

All year I saw so little creativity on offense and well we know McD isn't an offensive minded coach so I guess we can't blame him on that side of the ball.  Is that how it works?

There are plenty of coaches who seem to take the fall or are blamed when things go bad/sideways, but McD seems to skate.

Look I have warmed on McD over the years, and think he has improved, but this was the Superbowl favourite the entire year with Allen as the QB, but I still see so many warts and he to me seems to be the "Teflon Don" of coaches. 

Insert standing ovation GIF.

McDermott is the Czar. He runs the ship. Not Beane.

He’s responsible for it all to answer your question.

33 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Is that a dig at me (original post) or because he was worried about the McD "Fanboys" to come to his defense?

The point I am asking is what does a HC's job entail and then yes whether McD has been successful.  No one can question the record since Allen's second year. 

However I think the last three years Regular Seasons results are almost solely due to have Allen as the QB.   

thanks-excited.gif

53 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

But the grade should be weighted heavily towards the game that ended your season 3 years in a row. 😉

I just feel differently. Losing to the Chiefs or the Bengals just isn’t something I’m firing McDermott over unless there are multiple performances in a row like the Bengals loss.

I don’t think you start over when you’re that close. Probably the best example of this is Dungy to Gruden but the problem with those Dungy Buccaneer teams was their offense was near the bottom of the league.

I don’t think changing coaches when you’re top 5 in both offense and defense makes an any sense. 

• Agree 1

They put together the roster and they put together and approve game plans.  
I'm sure Frazier and McDermott put together the defensive game plan.  I'm sure he lets Dorsey put together his game plan but has to run it through McDermott.

So the game plan we see on the field is McDermott's responsibility.

I'm down on the coaches but at the same time, the players failed to execute a lot as well.  We shot ourselves in the foot way too many times from simple execution which I put on the players.  But these are the players the coaches put on the field.

I mean we were a unbelievable catch from Justin Jefferson and QB/Center exchange from beating the Vikings.  I know you can say in every game there was a play or two that could have changed everything but a dropped snap in the end zone and a team recovers for the go ahead TD at the end of the 4th?  

That's a 14-2 team with flaws.  

A team like this even with flaws is still close.  The Bengals are better than us right now but we have an offseason to correct that.  I'm not afraid of the Chiefs.

Everyone else is playing catch up and I trust McDermott/Beane knows what they need to fix....lets see if they can.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1

You obviously have not read much here. There is post after post after post about firing McDermott.

And it just sounds like you don't understand what head coaches do. That's on you, not McDermott.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not for firing coordinators as scapegoats either, consistent with my position. This on Sean and Brandon for good and for bad.

Coordinators have jobs to do and you evaluate them like any other position. If you feel like they are chronically underperforming, and you believe they are a part of the problem, you should fire them and find a new one.

Yeah, if you are just firing them to send a message or to have a scapegoat, that's stupid. But if you are not impressed with their schemes, playcalling, leadership, player development, game plans, etc., you fire them.

It's totally possible for the problems on one side of the ball to be the coordinator's fault. Yes, ultimately the head coach has to answer for everything, but it's also up to the coach to make personnel changes when needed. Bringing in the right coordinators is a huge part of the job.

• Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

You obviously have not read much here. There is post after post after post about firing McDermott.

And it just sounds like you don't understand what head coaches do. That's on you, not McDermott.

Not a single thread after the Cincy game.

I'm not knee jerk, just commenting on what I see during games.

I do understand what coaches do, not so sure McD is that good at it.  

Is he good at in game calls?

Challenge flags?

In game adjustments?

Drafting?

Spending money of the Offensive side of the ball?

Playoff success?

Results vs. top tier qb's?

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I just feel differently. Losing to the Chiefs or the Bengals just isn’t something I’m firing McDermott over unless there are multiple performances in a row like the Bengals loss.

I don’t think you start over when you’re that close. Probably the best example of this is Dungy to Gruden but the problem with those Dungy Buccaneer teams was their offense was near the bottom of the league.

I don’t think changing coaches when you’re top 5 in both offense and defense makes an any sense. 

I didn’t say he should be fired this offseason, but when looking at his overall resume his playoff track record should be counted a lot more than regular season wins. 

Part of the reason why many head coaches fail is because they have to deal with so much off the field stuff and do it well also.  Many OC's and DC's have no idea they have that type of responsibility about to be heaped on top of them in addition to some football stuff and they struggle mightily with the transition.  HC's basically manage the team not only from a football aspect but from the "business" aspect as well.  If you don't have the ability to be a good manager and can only do football X's and O's stuff you are likely not going to do very well as a head coach because you will be in way over your head and will try to do everything yourself instead of delegating to others.  Then you need to be good at understanding what is able to be delegated to others and still done effectively and what you have to retain for yourself because delegating that would not be effective or get done as well as if you did it yourself. 

Basically you need to be very good at football and very good at managing people and very good at running a business to succeed at being a HC, which is why so many assistants do not do well.  They have the football side, but lack at least one of the other two sides.  In reality, there are not a lot of people who can excel in all three areas compared to the number of assistants out there.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I'm really at a loss when it comes to reading threads & posts here about McDermott.

While no one is demanding his job (though they do annually with McCarthy in Dallas), and neither am I, there hasn't been a single thread calling him out here.

Although I have no right to "demand" that he is fired, I for one wish that the Bills would fire McDermott and have posted as much. I would probably be OK with retaining him but only if his power was reduced big time in terms of the draft (which imo he controls).

McDermott isn't really as bad as the parade of incompetent coaches we have seen in Buffalo for the last 25 or so years, and this makes him look good to many of us. That said, he resembles Jauron a bit too much for my liking and he drafts defense first without giving much thought to protecting our HOF QB and providing him with ample weapons.

More of the same, ya know?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Although I have no right to "demand" that he is fired, I for one wish that the Bills would fire McDermott and have posted as much. I would probably be OK with retaining him but only if his power was reduced big time in terms of the draft (which imo he controls).

McDermott isn't really as bad as the parade of incompetent coaches we have seen in Buffalo for the last 25 or so years, and this makes him look good to many of us. That said, he resembles Jauron a bit too much for my liking and he drafts defense first without giving much thought to protecting our HOF QB and providing him with ample weapons.

More of the same, ya know?

Keep on preaching Brother Bill.  Unfortunately because of the Rex Ryan debacle and the mess he made of the Sabres over the last decade plus, Pegula will be unbelievably loyal to McD for who knows how many years, because of his supposed great leadership skills. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.