Exactly what does the Head Coach do????

Billsfan1972

I'm really at a loss when it comes to reading threads & posts here about McDermott.

While no one is demanding his job (though they do annually with McCarthy in Dallas), and neither am I, there hasn't been a single thread calling him out here.

The majority here want Frazier gone and many are questioning Dorsey after one year on the job.

But I'm at a complete loss on what McDermott does as the HC and what his responsibilities are.

Please no more Culture, Attitude & Process😉.  I want to know seriously what is his job and has he done a good one?

We have many here too pointing at him being responsible for the draft and the Bills choices to go heavy on defense.

He is responsible for in game decisions and again I ask how would you grade him there?

I've been told Frazier runs McD's defense.  So who was responsible for 13 seconds?

We know the ST coach was fired & still not sure why it wasn't a squib or angled kick (as I screamed at my TV January 2022).

Last three playoff losses the defense allowed over 1400 yards and offenses to do whatever they wanted against the Bills defense.  Do you know they allowed 29,30 & 30 first downs those last three games (btw vs. NE in the no punt game the Bills had 29)?

Go back to the Houston loss too and how they bungled that game.

I've gone over the Cincy game and ask who was responsible for the Defensive game plan, especially the first quarter (where most offenses are scripted) and Cincy did exactly the same as 3 weeks prior walking up and down the field and the Bills seemed utterly unprepared.

I then blame Dorsey when somehow the game was still in reach at 17-7 and the Bills are first & 10 at the Bengals 39 with timeouts and one minute left in the half and blow it and then after taking the third quarter kick and first & goal at the 8 three more lousy plays and the game was lost there.

All year I saw so little creativity on offense and well we know McD isn't an offensive minded coach so I guess we can't blame him on that side of the ball.  Is that how it works?

There are plenty of coaches who seem to take the fall or are blamed when things go bad/sideways, but McD seems to skate.

Look I have warmed on McD over the years, and think he has improved, but this was the Superbowl favourite the entire year with Allen as the QB, but I still see so many warts and he to me seems to be the "Teflon Don" of coaches. 

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Head coaches are like CEOs at corporations they dictate authority to others in their area of expertise.

The are kind of the team organizer and direction taker.

Of course they are the ones with final say on roster decisions and such.

On the surface they appear not to do much but they actually do alot.

Bill Parcells would famously tell his strength coaches the exact weight program he wanted executed down to each player. 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The head coach argues with game officials (when on Camera)

They place their hands on their knees and stare at the offense and defensive lines, this makes them look more like a head coach

Some pace, clap and chew big wads of gum....

Most shake hands with the opposing coach after the game, this makes them appear to be a good sport even though they hate each other....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

The head coach argues with game officials (when on Camera)

They place their hands on their knees and stare at the offense and defensive lines, this makes them look more like a head coach

Some pace, clap and chew big wads of gum....

Most shake hands with the opposing coach after the game, this makes them appear to be a good sport even though they hate each other....

And they work 18 hours a day watching game film.

• Like (+1) 1

Overall performance is on the Head Coach and the General Manager. They are the ones who built this flawed roster and they are the ones responsible for some of the flawed strategies that we saw employed. 

I am not yet at the point where I am firing a regime that has won 41 games regular and post season in the past 3 years and has strong underpinning analytics to. But they own the failures and there comes a point (and while I think it is slightly reactionary I understand some being there) when those failures in the clutch override all of the analytics and the wins. 

I am not for firing coordinators as scapegoats either, consistent with my position. This on Sean and Brandon for good and for bad.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Head Coaches are supposed to have the pulse of the team.

Push harder workouts when appropriate, back off when guys are fatigued. Come up with the correct ways to motivate.

They are supposed to have the experience to know how to extract more out of the personnel they have, give direction to the offensive and defensive scheme. 

They should be able to sit in any positional group or coaches meeting and have meaningful insight, not Rex Ryan who continued to be the de facto Defensive Coordinator only and constantly pushed for premium assets on defense only. 

They take the feedback and ideas, list, prioritize, add their own, and create and present the overall plan.

The Head Coach has final say on the assessment of the personnel on the roster in preparation for meetings with the GM and compensation departments and has a voice on the acquisition/departure/roster management personnel strategy. 

They lead staff in traveling to college All-Star and post season events and give their notes to the GM and Scouting Staff.

They also should keep a file on how their own coaching staff is performing, does the QB need a new voice? Is the run game being coordinated in their vision? Why is the DT group not performing well enough. Is the meeting structure sufficient, does the routine need to be tweeked? Do you need to have extra time with the secondary staff? 

I’d say they need to spend time researching the league, visiting other coaches, speaking to other knowledgeable individuals about the game, and finding better ways to do things. Reviewing tape of the other teams in the league (Ben Johnson’s offensive design for instance) and be able to approach Dorsey about concepts and direction. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

-gameplan

-prepare players for the game, motivating

-calling timeouts

-throwing challenge flags

-argue with the refs about calls/rules

-clap

On the surface it doesn't look like head coaches are really doing much at all.

Most head coaches nowadays carry a play sheet and call plays . Somehow that has also escaped Mcd . 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I'm really at a loss when it comes to reading threads & posts here about McDermott.

While no one is demanding his job (though they do annually with McCarthy in Dallas), and neither am I, there hasn't been a single thread calling him out here.

The majority here want Frazier gone and many are questioning Dorsey after one year on the job.

But I'm at a complete loss on what McDermott does as the HC and what his responsibilities are.

Please no more Culture, Attitude & Process😉.  I want to know seriously what is his job and has he done a good one?

We have many here too pointing at him being responsible for the draft and the Bills choices to go heavy on defense.

He is responsible for in game decisions and again I ask how would you grade him there?

I've been told Frazier runs McD's defense.  So who was responsible for 13 seconds?

We know the ST coach was fired & still not sure why it wasn't a squib or angled kick (as I screamed at my TV January 2022).

Last three playoff losses the defense allowed over 1400 yards and offenses to do whatever they wanted against the Bills defense.  Do you know they allowed 29,30 & 30 first downs those last three games (btw vs. NE in the no punt game the Bills had 29)?

Go back to the Houston loss too and how they bungled that game.

I've gone over the Cincy game and ask who was responsible for the Defensive game plan, especially the first quarter (where most offenses are scripted) and Cincy did exactly the same as 3 weeks prior walking up and down the field and the Bills seemed utterly unprepared.

I then blame Dorsey when somehow the game was still in reach at 17-7 and the Bills are first & 10 at the Bengals 39 with timeouts and one minute left in the half and blow it and then after taking the third quarter kick and first & goal at the 8 three more lousy plays and the game was lost there.

All year I saw so little creativity on offense and well we know McD isn't an offensive minded coach so I guess we can't blame him on that side of the ball.  Is that how it works?

There are plenty of coaches who seem to take the fall or are blamed when things go bad/sideways, but McD seems to skate.

Look I have warmed on McD over the years, and think he has improved, but this was the Superbowl favourite the entire year with Allen as the QB, but I still see so many warts and he to me seems to be the "Teflon Don" of coaches. 

No one here is calling for McD to be fired? According to this poll 16% want him gone….

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.