How many teams can Singletary start on

NastyNateSoldiers

21 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

On a team that only has a running attack he finally got some work in.  He flashed so much he has only seen meaningful playing time in 1 of his 5 NFL seasons.  Jeff Wilson has a similar career arc and he also played in a run first offense until he was traded to Miami.  

You guys are in love with career backups.  I bow to your superior judgement.  

The irony. Singletary is a backup level RB in a starting RB position.  Hence the lack of production.

He's better than most of you think, but he has made a few glaring errors. If he played on a team with an NFL caliber OL you'd see it. I'd guess about half a dozen teams. I know some are in denial, but I'm just being realistic. Also, I'm not sold on Cook either. If Singletary walks, we will need to sign or draft a #1 RB.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, IronyAbounds said:

It's very curious, but many of those disparaging Singletary are also severe critics of the OL. Seems to me that someone who puts up the numbers DS did behind an atrocious OL might actually be pretty good, and conversely, backs that put up better numbers on other teams probably would put up much worse numbers if they had to play in Buffalo with its offensive schemes and lousy OL. I like DS and if the number is right I'd resign him.

I'm not a huge Motor fan but you do make a good point.  

If I had a choice to upgrade the RB position or OL, I'd choose the OL.  Motor is serviceable and he'd been even better behind a line that could actually open up holes.  And Josh needs a bodyguard.  

17 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Singletary is a very durable running back. He rarely fumbles and an  above average blocker. He is pretty good  as a receiver too 

You might be surprised how many teams would sign him. 

Doesn't land as satire because only 3/4 analyses are comically incorrect. Singletary IS fairly durable for an RB, yet he fumbles often, blocks meh, and has the worst hands I've ever seen for an offensive skill position player.

4 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

Please look at this list and tell me who is signing Motor, for $5.5m or to be a starter.  Understandably some of these Rbs are FAs too, but this is comparing how Motor would rank. 

I'd find maybe 4 teams, other than us.  Where Motor would be either an upgrade or worth $5.5m as a "1b".  Dolphins, Pats, Rams, and Panthers.  And personally can't see the Phins or Pats as being interested.

Definitely No (order is random):

1. Jets - Breece Hall and Zonovan Knight

2. Ravens - JK and Edwards

3. Steelers - Najee and Warren

4. Browns - Chubb and Hunt

6. Bengals - Mixon and Perrine

7. Houston - Pierce

8. Colts - Taylor

9. Jags - Etienne

10. Titans - Henry

11. Broncos - Javonte

12. Raiders - Jacobs

13. Chargers - Ekeler

14. Chiefs - Pachecho and McKinnon

15. Cowboys- Pollard and Zeke

16. Giants - Barkley

17. Eagles - Sanders and Gainwell

18. Bears - Montgomery and Herbert

19. Lions - Jamal and Swift

20. Pack - Jones and Dillon

21. Vikings - Cook and Mattisson

22. Falcons - Allgeirer and Patterson

23. Saints - Kamara and Ingram

24. Bucs - Fournette and White

25. Cards - Conner and Williams

26. 49ers - Cmac and Mitchell

27. Hawks - Walker and Penny

28. Commanders - Robinson and Gibson

At least eliminate the FA’s off that list…. Barkley, Hunt, Jacobs, Mattison, Montgomery, Jamal Williams, Miles Sanders, etc. Some will definitely be resigned and some will move around, but those backfields won’t be the same. 

I highly doubt Singletary will get $5.5MM (I’d prefer Beane spend that $ on a guard), but he’ll definitely get some decent cash and land in a spot where he gets some real usage. If I had to guess I’d go with 3 years $10-$12MM in a split roll. He had rather good games against Cleveland, Chicago, and Detroit all of which may be looking to replace a RB in their rotation along with the Raiders and a few others. Factor in his pass blocking and he’ll find a home and some solid money. He’s also versed in our system which will translate to NYG, LV, and NE. 

18 hours ago, Lagoon Blues said:

Though not a top tier back, I do think that his ranking is partially due to the offensive scheme.  Only my opinion of course but I believe he is a slightly better back then you give him credit for.

he is not a starter IMHO. But dam good back up at 3 mill a year. lol i hope. He can spot start for injuries and do fine.

17 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I just compared him with a random “name” running back, Joe Mixon. 

Over his career, Singletary has 13 fumbles on 817 touches, and he had 3 this year: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SingDe00.htm

Mixon, on the other hand, has 6 fumbles on 1,545 touches, and he had zero this year. In fact, he has had 3 seasons with zero fumbles: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MixoJo00.htm

I don't see Mixon fitting into the culture here if the Bengals cut him even though he's pry an upgrade.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

He does well in YPC because he doesn't get a lot of carries and the Bills are a passing team.  Singletary is rarely, if ever, the reason we win.  Opponents focus on Josh and the receivers.   

Many years ago, I remember teams keeping a spy on OJ.   Now they keep a spy on Josh.  

That’s not because of Devin, that’s because we just don’t run much

7 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

The irony. Singletary is a backup level RB in a starting RB position.  Hence the lack of production.

Nonsense.

The lack of production comes from lack of run plays, which is something any team with Josh Allen on it will logically go with.

Again, he's done very well per snap behind an OL that's not that great. Saying he's backup level simply says more about you than it does about him. Want to say he's not in the top half of starters? Now you've got at least a reasonable argument.

DVOA has him 17th in DVOA and 20th in DYAR, and 13th in Success Rate.

They have two stats, Adjusted Line Yards and RB Yards, where they assign blame/credit for the success of runs to either the OL or to the RB. If Adjusted LIne Yards are higher than RB yards, the line gets more credit for their success. If RB yards are higher than ALY, the RBs did well despite unimpressive blocking. The Bills RB yards were a great deal higher (0.45 yards per carry) than the Adjusted Line Yards, meaning the RBs got a lot for what the blocking was. Only five other teams had a better differential there: Dallas, Baltimore, Washington, Seattle and Jax.

The backs were pretty solid this year, very much including Singletary.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

I'm not trying to be mean, but you're a poor judge of RB talent.

Donta Foreman's year since he became a starter has flashed more potential than Singletary ever has.  He has more 100 yard performances in 12 games than Singletary has had in his 4 year career.

Jeff Wilson Jr. and Mostert are both better than Devin as well.  I can't ever see Motor rushing for 200 yards.  

You're not being mean, you're just not getting the concept.

It's clear that you don't get this, and I absolutely can't understand why. It's not rocket science.

Number of 100 yard games correlates much better with number of carries given than they do anything else. They're far more about play calling than RB talent.

• Eyeroll 1

11 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Foreman has had one good year and it all happened after CMC got dealt.  Dude has never started on his own teams.  Singletary's career production is so much more than Foreman.  I guess he just never got his shot in that crowded Houston backfield....

3 of Devin's 4 years are more productive than Herbert's best year as a pro.

Miami has one RB who is Devin's equal and a bunch of bums.

This list is ridiculous.  

Foreman has been injured for multiple yrs when he got bk he signed with Tennessee mid season the week Henry got hurt . Without a training camp without a good offensive line he proceeded to put up really good numbers he had 3 100+ yd rushing performances while seeing 8man boxes the majority of the time.  Foreman did start in Houston and he was on roll before getting the devastating injuries that set him bk nearly 2 1/2 yrs so your wrong about that.

In Carolina he was signed in off-season had his first training camp since being a rookie after McC got traded he proceeded to have 4 100 yd games in 9 weeks. If anyone thinks that’s a better situation then Buffalo there insane . All in all he has 7 , 100yd games in the last 16 games combined as the starter. Guess how much Singletary has in last 2yrs 34games a whopping 2 what a freakin scrub. 
I’d take Foreman of Singletary any day of the week and twice on Sundays. 

Herbert as a bkup has more 100yd performances then Singletary and ripped off way more big runs and his yds after contact rate is much higher then Singletary. Herbert would be great in Buffalo as well as Foreman. 

When it comes to Singletary all I hear is excuses it’s everyone fault but his it’s his Oline but just look at Carolina or Titans lines there no better plus they don’t have the luxury of having Josh freakin Allen right next to them or those 6 man light boxes Singletary sees the majority of the time. Ask any rb in the league and he’ll tell u give me that situation in Buffalo rather then play with a horrible team . RBs would rather have a mid pack Oline and see 6 man boxes rather then having a good Oline with 8 man boxes. Buddy go back and do more research because if u believe Singletary is a ounce better then a average back your insane bud and please stop with the excuses.

56 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

You're not being mean, you're just not getting the concept.

It's clear that you don't get this, and I absolutely can't understand why. It's not rocket science.

Number of 100 yard games correlates much better with number of carries given than they do anything else. They're far more about play calling than RB talent.

Singletary doesn't have the size to carry a big load week in week out this is one of my issues with him. He also hasn’t earned the respect of his coaches to gain such a load even if he could do it. God forbid Allen gets hurt Singletary won’t be able to help carry the team and his play would drop significantly considerably defensives don’t respect him enough when Allen is there to even gameplan for but if Alle is hurt and he becomes a focal point u would see this kid just don’t have it. 

21 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Foreman has been injured for multiple yrs when he got bk he signed with Tennessee mid season the week Henry got hurt . Without a training camp without a good offensive line he proceeded to put up really good numbers he had 3 100+ yd rushing performances while seeing 8man boxes the majority of the time.  Foreman did start in Houston and he was on roll before getting the devastating injuries that set him bk nearly 2 1/2 yrs so your wrong about that.

In Carolina he was signed in off-season had his first training camp since being a rookie after McC got traded he proceeded to have 4 100 yd games in 9 weeks. If anyone thinks that’s a better situation then Buffalo there insane . All in all he has 7 , 100yd games in the last 16 games combined as the starter. Guess how much Singletary has in last 2yrs 34games a whopping 2 what a freakin scrub. 
I’d take Foreman of Singletary any day of the week and twice on Sundays. 

Herbert as a bkup has more 100yd performances then Singletary and ripped off way more big runs and his yds after contact rate is much higher then Singletary. Herbert would be great in Buffalo as well as Foreman. 

When it comes to Singletary all I hear is excuses it’s everyone fault but his it’s his Oline but just look at Carolina or Titans lines there no better plus they don’t have the luxury of having Josh freakin Allen right next to them or those 6 man light boxes Singletary sees the majority of the time. Ask any rb in the league and he’ll tell u give me that situation in Buffalo rather then play with a horrible team . RBs would rather have a mid pack Oline and see 6 man boxes rather then having a good Oline with 8 man boxes. Buddy go back and do more research because if u believe Singletary is a ounce better then a average back your insane bud and please stop with the excuses.

6 man boxes doesn't mean much if your getting hit in the backfield. 😉

13 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He could start for a number of teams, and I think he will be signed as a starter for this next season by someone.  

Devin has a very good YPC average for his career and has developed into a good pass catcher (had the highest catch rate on the team most the year).  He has done that on a team with no run game design, bad OL play, and OC's allergic to establishing the run too.

He is a lot better than your post indicates.  He isn't a top tier RB, but he will be a quality player for someone next year IMHO.  If we used him all year last year like we did down the stretch and playoffs, he would have had 1400 yards rushing and 17 TD's based on the stats he was putting up in those games where he had at least 12 carries.  

He would have rushed for 1200 -1400 yards here both last year and this year if they just gave him an average of around 15 carries.  And again, that is on a team with a bad OL.  

Personally, I think he could end up in Las Vegas if Jacobs leaves or maybe someone like Carolina, Saints, KC, TB, or Houston where he could either be brought in to start or at least compete to start.  

I am not saying he is a future pro-bowler, but he just isn't as bad as your OP suggests.

Touches are earned not givin if the Bills has a better back they would get more touches I truly believe this . The fact is Singleary has had this weird relationship in Buffalo where he becomes the back by default I blame that on Beane for not finding a better replacement. We all know here he tried but he seems to not know what a good back looks like as he’s wasted 3 high pks on backs in the last 4 drafts. Taking Moss over Herbert and Cook over Pierce is prime examples of that and if u want more he took Singletary over Pollard to. This all falls on Beane and McD they seem not to be able to draft any players that are good outside then a select few and other then the secondary. 

23 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I hope he gets paid but I would be shocked if he got that kind of money . I just don’t respect him much

I mean, he plays in the NFL, I respect him just for that. He also seems to be a good person and a team player. Lots of things to respect about him, including his play on the field. He’s not going to bust plays open very often but he is a productive back most of the time. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

6 man boxes doesn't mean much if your getting hit in the backfield. 😉

Every back gets hit in bkfield this is no excuse and yes ask any back they would rather see light boxes and play next to an elite QB then have a good Oline and see constant 8 man fronts . I would love to see how good Singletary is when he plays for a crappy team like the Panthers or Texans he would average 3yds a carry. I can’t understand this love affair with him he’s awful and never shows up when u really need him. He has a 2.7yds per carry average the last 2 playoff losses in KC and he fumbled in one of those games.  He’s not the back that’s gonna help this team get to the next level we need better I can’t understand why people don’t understand this. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

I mean, he plays in the NFL, I respect him just for that. He also seems to be a good person and a team player. Lots of things to respect about him, including his play on the field. He’s not going to bust plays open very often but he is a productive back most of the time. 

He’s a bkup playing starter for the Bills we will all see what his value is this off-season and how many teams see him as a starter on there teams. I’m willing to bet he doesn’t get a starter job and doesn’t get near that 5.5 mil yearly average spotrac has him earning.  Then we’ll see the respect he has of his peers. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.