How many teams can Singletary start on

NastyNateSoldiers

3 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Spotrac has his value at around 5.5 mil per season . I would be shocked if he signs for that much in a off-season with a strong draft class as well as a strong free agent class. Which leads me to this question how many teams value a average back as much as we do? Here’s what I came up with. 

I came up with a whopping zero for teams he can start for when excluding the Bills . There’s even some teams he can’t even be the bkup on. If Barkley leaves the Giants let’s see how much Daboll thinks about him because that might be the only team I can think of and that’s only because there familiar with Singletary .  At end of the day Singletary is a 43/50 ranked bk in this league I can easily think of 10 teams that have 2 better bks then him. So Singletary u better hope the Bills resign u because your about to be bkup in this league at best. 

$5.5M would make him 13th in the league.

He's as good as a bunch of starters, particularly in platoon systems. 

He's 16th in the league in YPC of backs with 100 or more carries. Behind an OL that wasn't great.

Some teams might see him as not a scheme fit. But if he is available, plenty of teams will give him a serious look. It'll depend on price, probably, as there are a lot of decent FAs available and plenty of pretty solid draft prospects as well. My guess is he doesn't get $5.5M this year. This is a tough year to be on the market.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Again he sees light boxes and again he’s not built to carry any loads for long stretches of the season. Part of the reason he has a higher per carry is because he’s not getting many Carrie’s. He’s a average back nothing about him jumps out at u . He’s small but not fast not strong not nothing just a jag. 

He sees light boxes sometimes but he runs behind a not very good OL. 

He's not built to carry the load? How many games has he been injured? He's done just fine. And again, we aren't asking him to carry the load. Few teams do these days. This isn't the 1970s anymore.

Only eight guys in the league carry the ball more than 3 carries a game more than Singletary. Again, not the '70s anymore.

And the fact that hes not getting a ton of carries has nothing to do with his higher per carry. Where do you get the idea that helps? Lots of carries helps with total yards of course, but where's your evidence it helps with YPC. There is none.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Spotrac has his value at around 5.5 mil per season . I would be shocked if he signs for that much in a off-season with a strong draft class as well as a strong free agent class. Which leads me to this question how many teams value a average back as much as we do? Here’s what I came up with. 

I came up with a whopping zero for teams he can start for when excluding the Bills . There’s even some teams he can’t even be the bkup on. If Barkley leaves the Giants let’s see how much Daboll thinks about him because that might be the only team I can think of and that’s only because there familiar with Singletary .  At end of the day Singletary is a 43/50 ranked bk in this league I can easily think of 10 teams that have 2 better bks then him. So Singletary u better hope the Bills resign u because your about to be bkup in this league at best. 

It's definitely not 0.  He's a good timeshare back - most teams employ one... paying a back is never a particularly smart move as they all end up hurt eventually.    I'd say.... Denver, Jets without hall (he's better than everyone else they have), Atlanta, New Orleans, Carolina, Tampa, LA.  He'd definitely get snaps for teams like KC, Cincy, Pittsburgh.  

He had more yards on fewer carries than Joe mixon, David Montgomery, and Brian Robinson.  He's a pretty solid blocker and he has improved his hands.  Him and Cook combine to put up better numbers than Barkley fwiw. 

I don't think he'll get 5.5 because of the amount of free agents.  I think Atlanta will overpay for a top back and he's part of the replacement - so maybe Vegas, or Dallas.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

There are only like 5 true #1 RBs in the entire league that don’t split carries. Motor isn’t one of those guys, but he can be a starter in a RB committee on pretty much any team in the league.

He has good vision, strength and balance. He lacks top end speed, which will always keep him out of that top group. With our cap situation, we should probably let him walk and replace him with a cheap rookie and hope Cook can take the majority of carries next year.

• Like (+1) 2

Motor would be a nice piece on any team minus a handful that have 2 very good backs that complement each other

I'd like to re sign him for right price because he's good in all phases for a RB and complements Cook very well. He's beloved in the locker room and Allen has publicly boasted about him as a teammate and player. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

But here's a big consideration in your take on Motor . How much & how he was used with in the Bills offense . When he was in the game he was a productive player & sure he had a couple of snafus along the way but for the most part he produced when he was on the field .

If the Bills had Barkley in the back (OMG would that be awesome) but seeing as everything goes through Josh he wouldn't be used like Dabol used him in NY although i think the Bills need a bigger back to have their run game be better & i don't believe that the run game in the NFL is as obsolete as the "Experts" say it is .

Look at what Barkley did for the Giants, then take a look at the Jets with Hall and any other of the same scenario around the league . 

Can any one here say that the 2 teams in the superbowl don't have really good backs behind their QB's the chiefs have Pacheco & McKinnon the eagles also have backs that are productive so i still feel although the NFL is trending more to the passing game if your going to be a championship team you definitely need a above average running game & Cook is a good start .

The Bills have the right philosophy on the running back position, simply drafting one, letting them play out their contract and leave. 

But the problem was the first time around, Singletary and Moss were just too slow, and Beane overvalued them in the 3rd Round. 

Cook needs to be the focal, but this staff obviously had the same concerns as the Georgia staff, because he never has carried the load as the primary back, he's always been in a timeshare, and there was was a stat that he was only on the field for 13 pass protection snaps over the year. 

Beane constantly brings up Nyheim Hines, but this coaching staff has not shown that they want him on the field. He had 3 carries in 2022 with the Bills.  

Singletary will need to be removed from the roster, otherwise these coaches will default back to him, and keep Cook in a secondary role, with no snaps given to Hines.

But Joe Marino said something like the Bills should use a middle round pick on power running back and I just don't see any logic in that. The Bills have 6 draft picks and too many holes to burn another pick on a running back.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Interesting.

Who are these 31 backs who are better?

Sure, there are teams who have 2 backs who are better.  I'm interested in the other teams that have 1 back that is better or just as good

Some Motor stats:

Total yards 26th

Attempts 30th

20th in Y/A

57th in fumbles with 3

Hard to find stats on this but Singletary is excellent in pass protection

25 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

The Bills have the right philosophy on the running back position, simply drafting one, letting them play out their contract and leave. 

The Bills probably have the worst RB philosophy in the league. 3 RBs taken in the first 3 rounds in 4 years. Comically stupid. And none are above average or full time players. Trading another draft pick for a RB making $5M a year, just to not use him. 

It's hard to be as bad at evaluating and managing the RB position as the Bills. It's the easiest position to get right in the NFL. 

• Agree 1

I don't see the Bills paying Hines 4.8 million next year and I dont see them paying Singletary 5.5M or anywhere near it.  Not saying they are not worth that but decisions have to be made.  I think you will see a late round or UFA and a vet like Duke on a min deal along with Cook.

Motor is alright, but he's slow. Shifty, a quality blocker, but slow. We can find a late round RB or UDFA with those same traits. He's also not a short yardage guy either. The $$$ can be better spent elsewhere. D'Onta Foreman could be had for cheaper than that and is a better option for what we need. 

Come on people. You're telling me the Bills cannot find a RB in the draft that can eek out another foot, or even less, per carry?  Of course they can! We are not talking about the difference between averaging 3.5 and 7.5 yards per carry here. You cannot pay everyone. Invest in the Offensive Line and I guarantee that the rookie RB will get that few inches per carry back for you.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Lagoon Blues said:

Cook better learn to be a better blocker in the offseason if they let him move on.  Blocking is a MUCH more important element to a RB in our system than people give credit.

He should probably hit the squat rack this off season and bulk up his lower half a bit.

13 minutes ago, Process said:

The Bills probably have the worst RB philosophy in the league. 3 RBs taken in the first 3 rounds in 4 years. Comically stupid. And none are above average or full time players. Trading another draft pick for a RB making $5M a year, just to not use him. 

It's hard to be as bad at evaluating and managing the RB position as the Bills. It's the easiest position to get right in the NFL. 

I disagree, the worst RB philosophy is what the Bills tried before Singletary.

And that’s spent/worn out veterans like Mike Tolbert, Chris Ivory, Frank Gore being the lead back.

The next line of my post was they have over valued the position relative to round. 

And Beane owns the horrid Moss evaluation.

I do think you need a draftable traits running back on the team, meaning it can’t just be undrafted players, but it needs to be 5th, 6th and 7th rounders who play one contract out and then leave. 

I think nobody would have an issue with Singletary if we didnt have one of the worst offensive lines in football the last 4 years.

He has an elusiveness to him that freezes defenders, hes very shifty and much stronger than people give him credit for. He has moved piles a ton during his career.

Obviously his lack of homerun speed is his biggest issue from becoming a great RB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, somnus00 said:

He should probably hit the squat rack this off season and bulk up his lower half a bit.

Yeah, he needs to add some "good" weight to his frame. 10-15lbs will do, and he can do so while retaining his explosiveness. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.