How many teams can Singletary start on

NastyNateSoldiers

Spotrac has his value at around 5.5 mil per season . I would be shocked if he signs for that much in a off-season with a strong draft class as well as a strong free agent class. Which leads me to this question how many teams value a average back as much as we do? Here’s what I came up with. 

I came up with a whopping zero for teams he can start for when excluding the Bills . There’s even some teams he can’t even be the bkup on. If Barkley leaves the Giants let’s see how much Daboll thinks about him because that might be the only team I can think of and that’s only because there familiar with Singletary .  At end of the day Singletary is a 43/50 ranked bk in this league I can easily think of 10 teams that have 2 better bks then him. So Singletary u better hope the Bills resign u because your about to be bkup in this league at best. 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 6
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I've always liked Singletary more than most.  He has good vision to find the seam and he doesn't get arm tackled very often.  My friends who are non-Bills fans ask me why he doesn't get more carries?  Anyway,  hope he gets paid if not here then somewhere.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 10
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I've always liked Singletary more than most.  He has good vision to find the seam and he doesn't get arm tackled very often.  My friends who are non-Bills fans ask me why he doesn't get more carries?  Anyway,  hope he gets paid if not here then somewhere.

I hope he gets paid but I would be shocked if he got that kind of money . I just don’t respect him much

3 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Without looking I’m pretty sure he has been a top 10-15 rb in terms of YPC since he’s been in the league. Hard to get your “motor” going when you only average 6-7 touches a game.

I think he’s a product of the system and he sees more 6 man boxes then anyone in league by far. He doesn’t get the work because he’s not good enough and doesn’t garner the respect of opposing defenses. He’s a average back and doesn’t deserve the money spotrac believes he’ll get

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Not many, any team he does start for has a RB problem. He's under sized and has some of the worst physical traits of any RB in size, speed, strength. I know people will scoff at that but it's measurable and an undeniable fact. 

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/devin-singletary

Any other team in our division he would be the 3rd RB. Many other teams like Chicago have two better backs. And he's not good as a receiver so that severely limits him. 

Looking around the league I don't see a single team that he could be lead back for unless there was personnel change. Only close option might be Arizona, maybe?

I hope a dumb team gives him a good chunk so we don't resign him. He's a waste of space on an explosive offense. Addition by subtraction. 

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Singletary is a very durable running back. He rarely fumbles and an  above average blocker. He is pretty good  as a receiver too 

You might be surprised how many teams would sign him. 

Agree with everything but the bolded.  He has like the highest fumble rates in the league.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Spotrac has his value at around 5.5 mil per season . I would be shocked if he signs for that much in a off-season with a strong draft class as well as a strong free agent class. Which leads me to this question how many teams value a average back as much as we do? Here’s what I came up with. 

I came up with a whopping zero for teams he can start for when excluding the Bills . There’s even some teams he can’t even be the bkup on. If Barkley leaves the Giants let’s see how much Daboll thinks about him because that might be the only team I can think of and that’s only because there familiar with Singletary .  At end of the day Singletary is a 43/50 ranked bk in this league I can easily think of 10 teams that have 2 better bks then him. So Singletary u better hope the Bills resign u because your about to be bkup in this league at best. 

Didn't realize there were so many backs that averaged almost 5 YPC for their career and were exceptional in pass pro. 

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I think he’s a product of the system and he sees more 6 man boxes then anyone in league by far. He doesn’t get the work because he’s not good enough and doesn’t garner the respect of opposing defenses. He’s a average back and doesn’t deserve the money spotrac believes he’ll get

He’s definitely slightly above average. An average back doesn’t finish top 5, top 10 and top 15 in yards per carry amongst running backs in the first 4 years of their careers. He also has proven to be more effective when he gets more touches. Unfortunately he’s been out of the top 30 in carries per game twice out of his for years and not in the top 20 the other two years. Considering that plus the bottom tier run blocking Olines he’s had to deal with  and pass heavy offensive schemes (that rarely include RB dump offs), you can’t really say he’s not good enough. Again, he’s a top 15 yards per carry back since he’s been in the league. Not an easy feat in a league where almost all 32 teams use two backs consistently now.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, billsfan714 said:

Tell me what this website had as Levi Wallace's value and what he actually got.....it was way less.

Spotrac’s market value calcs are notoriously wonky. They are often a good place to start but you have got to look at the current year’s market and think logically about it too. 

• Agree 1

I think he is a good back and one most teams would want on their teams.  He has the vision and balance to make zone run schemes work, along with short area quickness to elude defenders and make a sudden burst through a hole.  His pass pro is excellent, and if the Bills ever threw a screen pass I think he would dangerous in those open field with blockers situations.  He does not possess the high end speed that Cook or Hines has, but he can play in the NFL and the Bills have not been wrong about him being their starter. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

35 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Agree with everything but the bolded.  He has like the highest fumble rates in the league.

I just compared him with a random “name” running back, Joe Mixon. 

Over his career, Singletary has 13 fumbles on 817 touches, and he had 3 this year: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SingDe00.htm

Mixon, on the other hand, has 6 fumbles on 1,545 touches, and he had zero this year. In fact, he has had 3 seasons with zero fumbles: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MixoJo00.htm

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, StHustle said:

He’s definitely slightly above average. An average back doesn’t finish top 5, top 10 and top 15 in yards per carry amongst running backs in the first 4 years of their careers. He also has proven to be more effective when he gets more touches. Unfortunately he’s been out of the top 30 in carries per game twice out of his for years and not in the top 20 the other two years. Considering that plus the bottom tier run blocking Olines he’s had to deal with  and pass heavy offensive schemes (that rarely include RB dump offs), you can’t really say he’s not good enough. Again, he’s a top 15 yards per carry back since he’s been in the league. Not an easy feat in a league where almost all 32 teams use two backs consistently now.

Again he sees light boxes and again he’s not built to carry any loads for long stretches of the season. Part of the reason he has a higher per carry is because he’s not getting many Carrie’s. He’s a average back nothing about him jumps out at u . He’s small but not fast not strong not nothing just a jag. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.