Who are Sean McDermott's peers?

Chaos

9 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Doug Pederson’s teams have actually made the playoffs in 4 of the past 5 seasons and his postseason record is 5-3.

Pederson has won more than nine games in a season exactly once in six years and is 51-45 overall. He was so highly regarded by his previous organization that he was fired and promptly replaced by a guy who has made the playoffs both times and just made a Super Bowl with a 14-3 record. 

I obviously give Pederson credit for winning a Super Bowl. But to me he's probably closer to being George Seifert, Brian Billick, Gary Kubiak or Mike McCarthy — all one-time Super Bowl winners — than he is to being the next Andy Reid.

McDermott has taken five of six teams to the playoffs and has won 10 games, 13 games, 11 games and 13 games the last four years on his way to a 62-35 overall record. Pederson can coach the next 10 years in Jacksonville and I'll make him an underdog to put together the four-year run that McDermott just had.

Yes, McDermott has been a postseason failure. But so was Dungy. So was Cowher. So was Reid.

The Chiefs overlooked Reid's playoff failures because they thought he was a great coach who had been unlucky. I suspect McDermott is a very good coach who has been unlucky. 

Edited by beebe

McDermott's peer would be a pre Super Bowl win Andy Reid, just a shorter coaching career to date. Andy Reid struggled in the postseason in Philly making coaching blunders in the playoffs and many questioned for years whether he could win it all. 

Their regular season win percentage are almost identical with Reid holding a slight advantage .641 vs .639. They rank right next to each other in career win percentage Reid #20th & McDermott #21st all-time(Min. 50 games).

Like McDermott, Reid also had a .500 record in the playoffs the year before he won it, he was 14-14. That's right 14 failures before he finally won one. He's 6-2 in the playoffs since. Let's all hope McDermott doesn't take as long as Reid did. 

EDIT: Correction Reid was 12-14 before winning the Super Bowl and is 9-2 in the playoffs since.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

On 2/1/2023 at 12:54 PM, Chaos said:

My personal opinion is that QB and HC compromise about 80% of the formula to win a championship. These are generally the two positions that allow the rest of the talent to produce at a higher level (or lower level) than they would otherwise achieve.  

It is a common exercise for people to group QBs into tiers.  I think it is widely accepted that Allen, Burrows and Mahomes compromise the top tier of QBs and that everyone else is not at their level. 

I have not seen people group HCs in a similar manner.  There seems to be an argument for Kyle Shanahan being the magic coach of 2023 making it to the championship game with a rookie 7th round draft pick at the helm.  And his past success maybe justifies him being in the top tier. 

Seems like parsing HC's is harder than QBs.  I think people separate Aaron Rodgers talent from the team failing to make the playoffs this year.  I think people can develop opions about Tua or Deshone Watson independent of their teams success.   Not sure it is easy to do the same with HCs. Pretty sure that Bill Belichek, the only current coach with more than one SB Ring, wasn't a doofus carried along by Tom Brady only, and that all of a sudden he sucks because he is saddled with Zac Jones.  My take on the top tier is that it is 

1A) Reid, Belichek, Shanahan and McVay

1B) Zac Taylor. Nick Siriani, Carroll, Harbaugh

2) McDermott, Pederson, Tomlin,  Pederson, Vrabel, Lafleur

2B) Stefanski, Saleh, McDaniel, Daboll

3) Campbell

everyone else below that. 

I am not at all sure my conclusions are correct.  But I am curious  what others think.  I am much more interested overall on where our coaches stack up against the other teams, than how our coaches stack up against past Bills coaching staffs (arguably the lowest bar possible)

No way is McDermott in tier 2 level coaching ..Give McDermott the jets roster I bet he does no better than saleh....give McDermott the Jags do you see him having a better result....I'd even argue McDermott would do no better or more likely worse than what Daboll did with the giants

Edited by Billever76

1 hour ago, beebe said:

Pederson has won more than nine games in a season exactly once in six years and is 51-45 overall. He was so highly regarded by his previous organization that he was fired and promptly replaced by a guy who has made the playoffs both times and just made a Super Bowl with a 14-3 record. 

I obviously give Pederson credit for winning a Super Bowl. But to me he's probably closer to being George Seifert, Brian Billick, Gary Kubiak or Mike McCarthy — all one-time Super Bowl winners — than he is to being the next Andy Reid.

McDermott has taken five of six teams to the playoffs and has won 10 games, 13 games, 11 games and 13 games the last four years on his way to a 62-35 overall record. Pederson can coach the next 10 years in Jacksonville and I'll make him an underdog to put together the four-year run that McDermott just had.

Yes, McDermott has been a postseason failure. But so was Dungy. So was Cowher. So was Reid.

The Chiefs overlooked Reid's playoff failures because they thought he was a great coach who had been unlucky. I suspect McDermott is a very good coach who has been unlucky. 

Comparing him to Seifert is ridiculous. Seifert took over one of the most talented teams of all time and Pederson took over a post-Chip Kelly team in disarray and a bottom-of-the-barrel Jax team. And he got fired because of Carson Wentz, who he stopped believing in. And he was correct. And Wentz has proven to be the ultimate coach killer.

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Comparing him to Seifert is ridiculous. Seifert took over one of the most talented teams of all time and Pederson took over a post-Chip Kelly team in disarray and a bottom-of-the-barrel Jax team. And he got fired because of Carson Wentz, who he stopped believing in. And he was correct. And Wentz has proven to be the ultimate coach killer.

Seifert went 98-30 across eight seasons and didn't finish worse than 10-6 in San Francisco. Then he had a poor Carolina roster, went 15-17 then flamed out with a 1-15 disaster. He's probably an above average coach on the whole. Pederson is probably above average. Way too soon to be called great. 

Buffalo Bills fans know how I feel on this subject. There is no point too many Bills fans believe in Sean McDermott and Terry Pegula PSE. Give it until 2028 two years after the new Bills stadium when Buffalo still has no Super Bowls in the trophy case potentially more Buffalo Bills, Sabres and Bandits fans will wake up about PSE ownership. Look at SEC Florida Gators football facilities for $85 million dollars than look at the Buffalo Bills football facilities. Look at UB Bulls locker rooms today than look at the Buffalo Bills locker rooms today the Bills aren’t winning anything even with that state money corners will be cut money wasted on nonsense like Community Benefits Agreements. The CBA would be if New York State and Erie County didn’t hand PSE and the NFL owners $850 million dollars.

I will stick with the UB Bulls football private donations doing it the right way privately building football facilities, winning bowl games that is fun. Losing with the Buffalo Bills not even interested in competing against the Cincinnati Bengals was a complete embarrassment. The Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Sabres and Buffalo Bandits with PSE as owners will most likely never win again in Buffalo. PSE are bad owners and aren’t fun people they just want your wallet. At least my UB Bulls and Buffalo Bisons win and I have something in my wallet which is a good thing. PSE can take there teams other teams would come to Buffalo if PSE left I am not impressed by PSE business operations of loser ville in Buffalo. We as a community are better than PSE. Sell the teams PSE there not serious about winning championships in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

On 2/1/2023 at 12:54 PM, Chaos said:

Seems like parsing HC's is harder than QBs.  I think people separate Aaron Rodgers talent from the team failing to make the playoffs this year.  I think people can develop opions about Tua or Deshone Watson independent of their teams success.   Not sure it is easy to do the same with HCs. Pretty sure that Bill Belichek, the only current coach with more than one SB Ring, wasn't a doofus carried along by Tom Brady only, and that all of a sudden he sucks because he is saddled with Zac Jones.  My take on the top tier is that it is 

Beli-CHEAT is hampered by a doofus of a GM who passed on Tua on advice of his friend in Alabama and took Zac Jones, His decision not to have an offense coordinator appears to be GM meddling.  The loss of Director of Spying hurt although I am convinced that even though he has retired he is working remotely.  If only Krafty could fire GM without 

Beli-CHEAT as well.  Time for a complete rebuild.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.