Who are Sean McDermott's peers?

Chaos

5 hours ago, Gregg said:

The Giants really didn't stop the Bills. OJ Anderson and the Giants hogging the ball for 40 minutes was the real problem. If that sack Bruce had in the endzone turned out to be a TD instead of a safety that would have changed everything. 

This is true. Another important factor was Lenorad Smith an excellent safety was injured & couldn't play. Giants QB Hostellier got away with a few ducks that shouldn't have been completed.

8 hours ago, Gregg said:

Tomlin should higher. He won a SB and the Steelers have been competitive almost every year he has been there.

He's been making chicken salad out of chicken crap. Should definitely be in 1a/b. IMO, Bills would be a SB winner had he been coaching team with Josh Allen at QB. IMO, 13 seconds would've never had happened. 

6 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Give McDermott a Thurman Thomas on offense and get back to me. 

To only not give him the football?? 

6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I have no idea how you are guys are ranking head coaches.  What criteria are you using?  What functions do you think are the most important of a head coach?  

For me, McDermott is very average.  He should probably be ranked 15th or something like that.

The people who have made lists have him way higher than that.

Doug Pederson is getting NO respect!! 

14 hours ago, beebe said:

TIER 1 - The clear best coaches in the league. 

1. Belichick

2. Reid

TIER 2 - Super Bowl champions who have had sustained success across 10+ years with the same team.

3. Carroll

4. Tomlin

5. Payton

6. Harbaugh

TIER 3 - Coaches who are clearly very good but don't have the same long-term track record as the guys above them on this list

7. Shanahan

8. Vrabel

9. McVay

10. McDermott

11. Pederson

TIER 4 - Coaches who are likely very good but don't have the same short-term track record as TIER 3 guys

12. Daboll

13. McDaniel

14. Taylor

15. Sirianni

TIER 5 - League average coaches; with an average team, I think they'd lead them to a .500 record. 

16. LaFleur

17. Reich

18. Rivera

19. McCarthy

TIER 6 - Not sure, larger sample needed

20. Stefanski

21. O'Connell

22. Campbell

23. Saleh

24. Ryans

25. Eberflus

TIER 7 - Open vacancy coaches

26. Vacant

27. Vacant

TIER 8 - I've seen enough

28. Staley

29. Smith

30. Bowles

31. Allen

32. McDaniels

What Makes McD better then Riveria? Riveria has had way more success and he’s taken 2 teams to playoffs and has also gone to the Super Bowl. I would also put Sirriani ahead McD as well as Pederson. 

17 hours ago, Chaos said:

My personal opinion is that QB and HC compromise about 80% of the formula to win a championship. These are generally the two positions that allow the rest of the talent to produce at a higher level (or lower level) than they would otherwise achieve.  

It is a common exercise for people to group QBs into tiers.  I think it is widely accepted that Allen, Burrows and Mahomes compromise the top tier of QBs and that everyone else is not at their level. 

I have not seen people group HCs in a similar manner.  There seems to be an argument for Kyle Shanahan being the magic coach of 2023 making it to the championship game with a rookie 7th round draft pick at the helm.  And his past success maybe justifies him being in the top tier. 

Seems like parsing HC's is harder than QBs.  I think people separate Aaron Rodgers talent from the team failing to make the playoffs this year.  I think people can develop opions about Tua or Deshone Watson independent of their teams success.   Not sure it is easy to do the same with HCs. Pretty sure that Bill Belichek, the only current coach with more than one SB Ring, wasn't a doofus carried along by Tom Brady only, and that all of a sudden he sucks because he is saddled with Zac Jones.  My take on the top tier is that it is 

1A) Reid, Belichek, Shanahan and McVay

1B) Zac Taylor. Nick Siriani, Carroll, Harbaugh

2) McDermott, Pederson, Tomlin,  Pederson, Vrabel, Lafleur

2B) Stefanski, Saleh, McDaniel, Daboll

3) Campbell

everyone else below that. 

I am not at all sure my conclusions are correct.  But I am curious  what others think.  I am much more interested overall on where our coaches stack up against the other teams, than how our coaches stack up against past Bills coaching staffs (arguably the lowest bar possible)

I see Shanahan and McVay over Harbaugh.  Just delete this clown thread 😂😂

15 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

nonsense- they punted 5 or 6 times!

Allen and Newton per game averages are eerily similar. And they asked Cam to do everything on offense too… until he aged to where he couldn’t 

If I remember correctly Thurman had 125 yards on 15 carries. If the Bills punted it was because they were trying to throw the ball when the Giants were begging them to run it. If they would have run Thurman more then the Giants would have been forced to play the run. That would have opened up the passing game. They still scored 19 points with only having the ball 19 minutes.

16 hours ago, beebe said:

1. Belichick

2. Reid

TIER 2 - Super Bowl champions who have had sustained success across 10+ years with the same team.

3. Carroll

4. Tomlin

5. Payton

6. Harbaugh

TIER 3 - Coaches who are clearly very good but don't have the same long-term track record as the guys above them on this list

7. Shanahan

8. Vrabel

9. McVay

10. McDermott

11. Pederson

TIER 4 - Coaches who are likely very good but don't have the same short-term track record as TIER 3 guys

12. Daboll

13. McDaniel

14. Taylor

15. Sirianni

TIER 5 - League average coaches; with an average team, I think they'd lead them to a .500 record. 

16. LaFleur

17. Reich

18. Rivera

19. McCarthy

20. Stefanski

21. O'Connell

22. Campbell

23. Saleh

24. Ryans

25. Eberflus

26. Vacant

27. Vacant

28. Staley

29. Smith

30. Bowles

31. Allen

32. McDaniels

Doug Pederson’s teams have actually made the playoffs in 4 of the past 5 seasons and his postseason record is 5-3.

It's hard because you have to factor in the GM too. Nick Siriani has done nicely with Philly but he has probably the best GM in football too in Howie Roseman. I'm not sure he is tier 1B as a coach any more than I think Matt LaFleur was tier 1B for winning games with Rodgers. Sean McVay has had really talented rosters with the Rams this year with a poor, injury ravaged, roster it looked to me like he quit on the season about week 10 to me. So it is so dependant on other things. 

It's tough. I think McDermott comes somewhere in that 6-10 range and people can legitimately argue about where he falls in that. Probably the best active head coach in the NFL not to have coached in a Superbowl?

20 hours ago, Chaos said:

My personal opinion is that QB and HC compromise about 80% of the formula to win a championship. These are generally the two positions that allow the rest of the talent to produce at a higher level (or lower level) than they would otherwise achieve.  

It is a common exercise for people to group QBs into tiers.  I think it is widely accepted that Allen, Burrows and Mahomes compromise the top tier of QBs and that everyone else is not at their level. 

I have not seen people group HCs in a similar manner.  There seems to be an argument for Kyle Shanahan being the magic coach of 2023 making it to the championship game with a rookie 7th round draft pick at the helm.  And his past success maybe justifies him being in the top tier. 

Seems like parsing HC's is harder than QBs.  I think people separate Aaron Rodgers talent from the team failing to make the playoffs this year.  I think people can develop opions about Tua or Deshone Watson independent of their teams success.   Not sure it is easy to do the same with HCs. Pretty sure that Bill Belichek, the only current coach with more than one SB Ring, wasn't a doofus carried along by Tom Brady only, and that all of a sudden he sucks because he is saddled with Zac Jones.  My take on the top tier is that it is 

1A) Reid, Belichek, Shanahan and McVay

1B) Zac Taylor. Nick Siriani, Carroll, Harbaugh

2) McDermott, Pederson, Tomlin,  Pederson, Vrabel, Lafleur

2B) Stefanski, Saleh, McDaniel, Daboll

3) Campbell

everyone else below that. 

I am not at all sure my conclusions are correct.  But I am curious  what others think.  I am much more interested overall on where our coaches stack up against the other teams, than how our coaches stack up against past Bills coaching staffs (arguably the lowest bar possible)

I cant figure out if these tiers are "all time" or "right now". Belichek I think has lost some shine right now but of course hes the GOAT. Why is Siriani a tier about Pederson? Pederson has won a SB (in Philly no less). I dont see how Tomlin is so low either, give his success over a very long period of time.

FWIW I would remove 1B and make it all tier 2 and have McD there. I think hes on the same level as Harbaugh, just has gotten the SB yet. I know that wont be popular here but thats my thoughts.

2 hours ago, QCity said:

I see Shanahan and McVay over Harbaugh.  Just delete this clown thread 😂😂

Harbaugh hasn’t been relevent for a decade. mcVay went to the Super Bowl with two mid tier QBs in the last four years. 

1 minute ago, jletha said:

I cant figure out if these tiers are "all time" or "right now". Belichek I think has lost some shine right now but of course hes the GOAT. Why is Siriani a tier about Pederson? Pederson has won a SB (in Philly no less). I dont see how Tomlin is so low either, give his success over a very long period of time.

FWIW I would remove 1B and make it all tier 2 and have McD there. I think hes on the same level as Harbaugh, just has gotten the SB yet. I know that wont be popular here but thats my thoughts.

My tiers are my opinion of “right now”. My primary evaluation is to look at each and ask “would this coach likely win a he Super Bowl given Mahomes or Allen as his QB”. It’s all opinion and speculation 

19 hours ago, Einstein said:

Daboll led a terrible roster to a divisional game. Not sure how you can put him that low.

My list

1) Reid, Belichek, Shanahan

2) Zac Taylor. Nick Siriani, McVay

3) McDermott, Carroll, Daboll, Harbaugh, Peterson, Tomlin,  Pederson, Vrabel, Lafleur

4 Stefanski, Saleh, McDaniel, Campbell

Who is this Peterson guy that keeps being mentioned along with the Pederson guy?

19 hours ago, MJS said:

I think McVay is too high. His luster has worn off for me.

I also think you have Saleh and McDaniels too high.

But I think you have McDermott in the right place. He is in that 5 to 10 range. Good coach.

Saleh belongs in "everyone else below".

17 hours ago, beebe said:

1. Belichick

2. Reid

3. Carroll

4. Tomlin

5. Payton

6. Harbaugh

7. Shanahan

8. Vrabel

9. McVay

10. McDermott

11. Pederson

12. Daboll

13. McDaniel

14. Taylor

15. Sirianni

16. LaFleur

17. Reich

18. Rivera

19. McCarthy

20. Stefanski

21. O'Connell

22. Campbell

23. Saleh

24. Ryans

25. Eberflus

26. Vacant

27. Vacant

28. Staley

29. Smith

30. Bowles

31. Allen

32. McDaniels

McDaniels took the Dolphins to the playoffs in his first year with chaos at QB and overcame a 17 point deficit to the Bills to come within 3 points in that game while playing a 3rd string rookie QB.

You've seen enough?

21 hours ago, Einstein said:

Daboll led a terrible roster to a divisional game. Not sure how you can put him that low.

My list

1) Reid, Belichek, Shanahan

2) Zac Taylor. Nick Siriani, McVay

3) McDermott, Carroll, Daboll, Harbaugh, Peterson, Tomlin,  Pederson, Vrabel, Lafleur

4 Stefanski, Saleh, McDaniel, Campbell

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

No one cares for spelling correction guy on the internet.

Well, you have Peterson AND Pederson listed.  If you only listed one, I’d concede an spelling error.  You listed both in your own list (not the OPs).  Hence the question. 

57 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Well, you have Peterson AND Pederson listed.  If you only listed one, I’d concede an spelling error.  You listed both in your own list (not the OPs).  Hence the question. 

Copy & Paste problem. I copied the original posters list that included Peterson and then not realizing, entered my own Pederson.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It took Levy 5 years to get to a Super Bowl with 5 Hall of Famers and about another 4-5 All Pros.  

4 years.

Levy was hired at the end of the 86 season after Ralph fired Bullough.

Levy had already been in 2 Super Bowls by the same point in his Buffalo career that Sean McDermott is in.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Saleh belongs in "everyone else below".

McDaniels took the Dolphins to the playoffs in his first year with chaos at QB and overcame a 17 point deficit to the Bills to come within 3 points in that game while playing a 3rd string rookie QB.

You've seen enough?

There's McDaniel, as in the Dolphins' Mike McDaniel, who I ranked #13; and McDaniels, as in the Raiders' Josh McDaniels, who I ranked 32nd. 

Edited by beebe

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.