Who are Sean McDermott's peers?

Chaos

I have no idea how you are guys are ranking head coaches.  What criteria are you using?  What functions do you think are the most important of a head coach?  

For me, McDermott is very average.  He should probably be ranked 15th or something like that.

The people who have made lists have him way higher than that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

After 10 years/two teams….

And then he’d get there and repeatedly blow it in increasingly spectacular fashion… 

good comp!

To be fair the only one the Bills should have won was the Giants game. They were the better team and no had business losing that game. Washington just physically dominated the Bills. Dallas was probably the better team at that time. The 9 turnovers in the first Cowboys game didn't help.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Gregg said:

To be fair the only one the Bills should have won was the Giants game. They were the better team and no had business losing that game. Washington just physically dominated the Bills. Dallas was probably the better team at that time. The 9 turnovers in the first Cowboys game didn't help.

Exactly great coaches win game you aren’t supposed to, not the other way around. 

See what Bill B did to get the giants across the line as a DC even. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Exactly great coaches win game you aren’t supposed to, not the other way around. 

See what Bill B didn’t to get the giants across the line. 

The Giants really didn't stop the Bills. OJ Anderson and the Giants hogging the ball for 40 minutes was the real problem. If that sack Bruce had in the endzone turned out to be a TD instead of a safety that would have changed everything. 

10 minutes ago, Gregg said:

The Giants really didn't stop the Bills. OJ Anderson and the Giants hogging the ball for 40 minutes was the real problem. If that sack Bruce had in the endzone turned out to be a TD instead of a safety that would have changed everything. 

nonsense- they punted 5 or 6 times!

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I actually think Rivera is his best comp.  When Newton was a top 5 QB, Carolina was in the playoffs every year and even made a Super Bowl.  McDermott has a top 5 QB.  

Allen and Newton per game averages are eerily similar. And they asked Cam to do everything on offense too… until he aged to where he couldn’t 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

3 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

I don't think Taylor is in the 1B category.....for a portion of last year there was a lot of talk that he was going to get fired at the end of the year.  They then went on their run and had a better year this year, but he was not doing well for a very long time

He was hired in 2019, what are you talking about?

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

I agree. Washington & Dallas were power teams and as we are now, the 90's team was all finesse.  When do we get a power, physically dominating team?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I have no idea how you are guys are ranking head coaches.  What criteria are you using?  What functions do you think are the most important of a head coach?  

For me, McDermott is very average.  He should probably be ranked 15th or something like that.

The people who have made lists have him way higher than that.

And on top of what you said, is this ranking by greatest résumés overall or current ability? 

If the latter, then I’m not sure Belichick is in Tier 1 anymore. 

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

Pretty good list.  Except-  saleh and mcdaniel ahead of Daboll?  Please explain. 

I also think Mcvay, sirianni and Taylor are a notch too high but understand why you’d place them there.  

also-  who is Peterson?  I assume you mean Pederson who you also listed?  I’d also put pederson up a notch.  

I place a high level of importance on the post season.  McDaniel as a rookie head coach went deep into his first playoff game against an experienced playoff team and one of the NFL's top 3 QBs, with a third string QB, and nearly prevailed.  His first year turnaround before that was remarkable.  As a game day coach in the three games against the Bills, I thought he called a better game than McDermott.   Saleh gets his props for having a team that competed almost every week, without having any QB who appeared to be a legit NFL QB.  If you think the QB deficiency is Saleh's fault, then he should be massively downgraded.  I thought Daboll did a fine job, and probably should be ranked on the same tier as them.  I edited my original post to reflect that. 

• Agree 2

Who knows who McDermott's peers are? All I know is I'm tired of his boring and embarrassing main mantra of "Humble & Hungry". Frankly I'm sure the players are embarrassed at this mission statement as well. Sounds like some religious school's value statement. I'd rather have my NFL teams mantra be - "Troublemakers & Trophy's" or "Suspects & Super Bowls" or "Beane's & Bowl's. This is football not Curling. McDermott's weak, and this team lacks toughness. That's their biggest problem, but no one seems to notice!! Digg's is the only player with moxy.            

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I don't exactly know what his game day coaching strengths are.  But the team won 14 games. 

McCarthy won 13 (backup for 5 games), Kevin O'Connell won 12, Sirriani 17......    

As said I really don't know what to think of McD, but I want the Bills to win the SB in 2023/24.

6 hours ago, Gregg said:

Tomlin should higher. He won a SB and the Steelers have been competitive almost every year he has been there.

YE OLE concurs, my good fellow!

Tomlin takes a lot of flack for his in game decisions around punting and so forth (deservedly so), but he sure gets a lot of his teams. Earlier this year when the Steelers fell to 3-7 it was a done deal that his streak of winning seasons was over.  Unbelievable to get that team to 9-8 from that spot. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.