Who are Sean McDermott's peers?

Chaos

My personal opinion is that QB and HC compromise about 80% of the formula to win a championship. These are generally the two positions that allow the rest of the talent to produce at a higher level (or lower level) than they would otherwise achieve.  

It is a common exercise for people to group QBs into tiers.  I think it is widely accepted that Allen, Burrows and Mahomes compromise the top tier of QBs and that everyone else is not at their level. 

I have not seen people group HCs in a similar manner.  There seems to be an argument for Kyle Shanahan being the magic coach of 2023 making it to the championship game with a rookie 7th round draft pick at the helm.  And his past success maybe justifies him being in the top tier. 

Seems like parsing HC's is harder than QBs.  I think people separate Aaron Rodgers talent from the team failing to make the playoffs this year.  I think people can develop opions about Tua or Deshone Watson independent of their teams success.   Not sure it is easy to do the same with HCs. Pretty sure that Bill Belichek, the only current coach with more than one SB Ring, wasn't a doofus carried along by Tom Brady only, and that all of a sudden he sucks because he is saddled with Zac Jones.  My take on the top tier is that it is 

1A) Reid, Belichek, Shanahan and McVay

1B) Zac Taylor. Nick Siriani, Carroll, Harbaugh

2) McDermott, Pederson, Tomlin,  Pederson, Vrabel, Lafleur

2B) Stefanski, Saleh, McDaniel, Daboll

3) Campbell

everyone else below that. 

I am not at all sure my conclusions are correct.  But I am curious  what others think.  I am much more interested overall on where our coaches stack up against the other teams, than how our coaches stack up against past Bills coaching staffs (arguably the lowest bar possible)

Edited by Chaos
  • Like (+1) 2

I think McVay is too high. His luster has worn off for me.

I also think you have Saleh and McDaniels too high.

But I think you have McDermott in the right place. He is in that 5 to 10 range. Good coach.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

22 minutes ago, Chaos said:

My personal opinion is that QB and HC compromise about 80% of the formula to win a championship. These are generally the two positions that allow the rest of the talent to produce at a higher level (or lower level) than they would otherwise achieve.  

It is a common exercise for people to group QBs into tiers.  I think it is widely accepted that Allen, Burrows and Mahomes compromise the top tier of QBs and that everyone else is not at their level. 

I have not seen people group HCs in a similar manner.  There seems to be an argument for Kyle Shanahan being the magic coach of 2023 making it to the championship game with a rookie 7th round draft pick at the helm.  And his past success maybe justifies him being in the top tier. 

Seems like parsing HC's is harder than QBs.  I think people separate Aaron Rodgers talent from the team failing to make the playoffs this year.  I think people can develop opions about Tua or Deshone Watson independent of their teams success.   Not sure it is easy to do the same with HCs. Pretty sure that Bill Belichek, the only current coach with more than one SB Ring, wasn't a doofus carried along by Tom Brady only, and that all of a sudden he sucks because he is saddled with Zac Jones.  My take on the top tier is that it is 

2) McDermott, Peterson, Tomlin,  Pederson, Vrabel, Lafleur

2B) Stefanski, Saleh, McDaniel

3) Campbell, Daboll

I am not at all sure my conclusions are correct.  But I am curious  what others think.  I am much more interested overall on where our coaches stack up against the other teams, than how our coaches stack up against past Bills coaching staffs (arguably the lowest bar possible)

Pretty good list.  I don’t think McDaniel or Saleh have done anything to deserve being ranked ahead of Daboll, and Stefanski is too high, but other than that, it looks about right.

• Like (+1) 1

Pretty good list.  Except-  saleh and mcdaniel ahead of Daboll?  Please explain. 

I also think Mcvay, sirianni and Taylor are a notch too high but understand why you’d place them there.  

also-  who is Peterson?  I assume you mean Pederson who you also listed?  I’d also put pederson up a notch.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 3

McDermott looks different with guys like McDaniels, Daboll, Phillips, Fangio, Evero as his supporting cast.  

Dorsey and Frazier are merely pedestrian, with the former maybe a little worse than....

If I were him, I'd want much more out of my staff than I'm currently getting...

Edited by B-Large

Daboll led a terrible roster to a divisional game. Not sure how you can put him that low.

My list

1) Reid, Belichek, Shanahan

2) Zac Taylor. Nick Siriani, McVay

3) McDermott, Carroll, Daboll, Harbaugh, Peterson, Tomlin,  Pederson, Vrabel, Lafleur

4 Stefanski, Saleh, McDaniel, Campbell

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, damj said:

th?id=OIP.fYigGuheI2MqTcpkz9XDCAAAAA%26p=pg2_g_marty_cr_200.jpg

Good enough to get you to the play-offs ... not good enough to win a championship

He is nowhere near the Marty Chokenheimer level.  Trust me, I have an large extended family of Queef's fan.  He may be a burgeoning Chokenheimer comparison but he has many years to go yet.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

2) McDermott, Peterson, Tomlin,  Pederson, Vrabel, Lafleur

2B) Stefanski, Saleh, McDaniel

3) Campbell, Daboll

I don't think Taylor is in the 1B category.....for a portion of last year there was a lot of talk that he was going to get fired at the end of the year.  They then went on their run and had a better year this year, but he was not doing well for a very long time

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Where's Marv Levy in this montage? 

45 minutes ago, damj said:

th?id=OIP.fYigGuheI2MqTcpkz9XDCAAAAA%26p=pg2_g_marty_cr_200.jpg<s-l400.jpg

Good enough to get you to the play-offs ... not good enough to win a championship

At least Levy could get to a Superbowl

TIER 1 - The clear best coaches in the league. 

1. Belichick

2. Reid

TIER 2 - Super Bowl champions who have had sustained success across 10+ years with the same team.

3. Carroll

4. Tomlin

5. Payton

6. Harbaugh

TIER 3 - Coaches who are clearly very good but don't have the same long-term track record as the guys above them on this list

7. Shanahan

8. Vrabel

9. McVay

10. McDermott

11. Pederson

TIER 4 - Coaches who are likely very good but don't have the same short-term track record as TIER 3 guys

12. Daboll

13. McDaniel

14. Taylor

15. Sirianni

TIER 5 - League average coaches; with an average team, I think they'd lead them to a .500 record. 

16. LaFleur

17. Reich

18. Rivera

19. McCarthy

TIER 6 - Not sure, larger sample needed

20. Stefanski

21. O'Connell

22. Campbell

23. Saleh

24. Ryans

25. Eberflus

TIER 7 - Open vacancy coaches

26. Vacant

27. Vacant

TIER 8 - I've seen enough

28. Staley

29. Smith

30. Bowles

31. Allen

32. McDaniels

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Give McDermott a Thurman Thomas on offense and get back to me. 

He would need an OL as well. Those 90's teams had a much better OL led by Kent Hull then what they have now.

8 minutes ago, beebe said:

TIER 1 - The clear best coaches in the league. 

1. Belichick

2. Reid

TIER 2 - Super Bowl champions who have had sustained success across 10+ years with the same team.

3. Carroll

4. Tomlin

5. Payton

6. Harbaugh

TIER 3 - Coaches who are clearly very good but don't have the same long-term track record as the guys above them on this list

7. Shanahan

8. Vrabel

9. McVay

10. McDermott

11. Pederson

TIER 4 - Coaches who are likely very good but don't have the same short-term track record as TIER 3 guys

12. Daboll

13. McDaniel

14. Taylor

15. Sirianni

TIER 5 - League average coaches; with an average team, I think they'd lead them to a .500 record. 

16. LaFleur

17. Reich

18. Rivera

19. McCarthy

TIER 6 - Not sure, larger sample needed

20. Stefanski

21. O'Connell

22. Campbell

23. Saleh

24. Ryans

25. Eberflus

TIER 7 - Open vacancy coaches

26. Vacant

27. Vacant

TIER 8 - I've seen enough

28. Staley

29. Smith

30. Bowles

31. Allen

32. McDaniels

If he were still coaching in the league, I don't think Adam Gase would even make it to your Tier 8.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.