On this date in history, Buffalo had a record 9 turnovers in a 52-17 loss to Dallas in SB XXVII

chongli

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/31/2023 at 8:59 PM, chongli said:

This game in 1993 in Pasadena also marked the Bills' third consecutive Super Bowl loss. Dallas scored 35 points off these nine turnovers. This game is tied with SB XXXVII between Oakland and Tampa Bay as the highest scoring Super Bowl, with 69 combined points. This was also the first time Buffalo had played Dallas since 1984. Michael Jackson performed at the halftime show, which was the NFL's first-ever top-act signing for the game. The only good thing about this game was Don Beebe's hustle to prevent Leon Lett from scoring a TD fumble recovery after Frank Reich was stripped.

Tired of these bad memories. The Bills need to finally win one now that we have Josh.

Leon Lett's fumble into the endzone:

But you bring it up? 

4 minutes ago, chongli said:

Yeah, because it was an important date in Bills history. You can't just filter out all the bad stuff, as much as I want to.

Ok, to make up for this, please run a highlight reel of our AFC Championship games. 😅

Also, as to SB XXVII, I remember it like it was yesterday—I was 14 and lived and died by the Bills’ results weekly. Watching the game at a buddy’s house who was a Steelers fan, things went downhill quickly. But man, the first few minutes were awesome what with the punt block, some decent passes from Kelly to Reed and the Bills cashing in early…I’ll stop my recollections there. 🙈 I’ll just get mad at Ken Norton Jr all over again—that was a cheap spear diving shot at Kelly’s knees and no one will ever convince me otherwise. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, chongli said:

Yeah, because it was an important date in Bills history. You can't just filter out all the bad stuff, as much as I want to.

I was at that game , first SB I attended , then followed it up by goin to 28 in ATL the next year.  Pasadena was great and the Rose Bowl is the most visually appealing venue I have ever been in. Highly recommended bucket list place !  As the sun goes down you have a view of palm tree and far off are mountains covered in sunshine as the lights come on in the stadium. The field is spectacular and immaculately maintained.  I was sitting about 30 rows up, right on the goal line where Beebe made his famous play.  Got a great view of the play and it was about the only positive ,other than Tasker partially blocking an early punt and being involved with the Michael Jackson halftime show.  Everyone got a seat cushion with a regular sized flashlight embossed with the 27 SB logo. At one point in the halftime show we were asked to turn on the flashlights and visually helped light up the stadium during his performance. 

It was a bag of mixed emotions for me , as I was fortunate to be in a relationship with a really beautiful , smart nurse who went with me. She looked like a very young Hillary Clinton (facially , but had a smoking bod! ) , and on the plane ride out MEAN JOE GREEN was reading a time magazine on the plane and it had Hilary on the cover. He was sitting right behind us and he tapped my girlfriend on the shoulder , pointed to the cover , and asked for her autograph in a joking way. My gf didn’t know who he was , but I had grown up in Eastern Ohio where all my friends were Steelers fans , so I couldn’t believe what has just happened. I jokingly asked if we could just swap autographs and he laughed , kindly just went back to reading as I guess he didn’t want to attract attention to himself. True story. 

Before the game they had the early version of the NFL experience next to the Rose Bowl the day prior to the game. I got to bid on several NFL authenticated memorabilia at a silent auction. I actually got a Bills team signed football,  a Bills team autographed helmet , and an autographed OJ Simpson jersey which was prior to his crimes.  I also got and still have , two large uncut sheets of skybox cards printed on site and in limited edition numbered there.  Those sheets have almost all the Bills & Cowboys on them , in addition to rookies like john Fina and many guys who turned into HOF guys or star players.  I watch Finas YouTube podcast with Joe miller, and Fina has said he never held onto much gear or memorabilia , and since I’ve held onto these uncut sheets ( pristine condition) , I was thinking of contacting him or anyone interested as I am having health issues and would love to see them go to someone who might appreciate them before sometime happens and I’m not around to see where they go.  If interested , email me at r.prokes@icloud.com ( tried posting pics on here of the sheets of cards but files were too large). 

Was just neat stuff; unfortunately it was so negated by the Bllls getting destroyed in that game. I flew there from Florida , so it was a long way to go to watch that throttling!  On the flight home I actually met the parents of the cowboys third wr /kr at the time as they were flying to Jacksonville where they lived.  They had on Cowboys locker room gear ( shirts w the score and other stuff that you couldn’t purchase that quickly as I flew out early the following morning , their last name was Martin if I remember corrrectly ) and they ended up becoming patients in my family practice at the time.  They were great people , very kind about joining my practice even tho it was obvious I was a Bills fan !    So thx for posting as I see you got a lot of criticism for posting about that game. While it was a terrible game, everything else about the experience was amazing for me and unforgettable for all those good things that happened. 😊

One side note; the Bills players of that time have said after the 2 nd SB loss, they were always waiting for something bad to happen in subsequent SB’s. Thurman has said that often , so for example , when he fumbled it would take him out of the game and they just expected bad things to happen so they didn’t mentally think they could win a SB and of course , they never did.
I am getting that “ mentality” or feeling after listening to Mcd and seeing how he has not coached well in the postseason. ( listen to florio critique Mcd , which is the first real critique saying perhaps Mcd is not going to win a SB with the bills that I felt had some validity, as I like Mcd but don’t feel confident in Frazier). The losses  in postseason have been mistake prone,  or just being outcoached in many opinions, and the team all quickly fell into rationalizing how only 1 team ends happy, yada, yada, yada.  
Hate to say it , just a feeling , but it reminds me of issues  like around the 90’s teams; they are coaching / playing almost expecting something bad to happen.  They seemed mentally beaten imo prior to that cincy game , for a variety of reasons , but I’m beginning to wonder if they can overcome all the bad losses they have had in the playoffs.
 At least those 90’s teams got to the SB , and didn’t take steps back once getting to the afc championship game. I’m not sure Mcd , while being a great reg season coach , is not starting to develop a trend of over thinking things and becomes error prone come playoff time. Time will tell, but it’s starting to remind me a little of that 90’s mentality; some coaching staffs rise to the pressure , as the Eagles , KC, and even Cincy have all made it there , while this year it feels like the Bills might even be headed the other way.  Hard not to notice it having lived thru the 90’s SB losses.  Anybody else notice any similarities?  Thx tho for jogging my good memories about SB 27 in Pasadena.  😊

• Awesome! (+1) 2

9 hours ago, DrPJax said:

I was at that game , first SB I attended , then followed it up by goin to 28 in ATL the next year.  Pasadena was great and the Rose Bowl is the most visually appealing venue I have ever been in. Highly recommended bucket list place !  As the sun goes down you have a view of palm tree and far off are mountains covered in sunshine as the lights come on in the stadium. The field is spectacular and immaculately maintained.  I was sitting about 30 rows up, right on the goal line where Beebe made his famous play.  Got a great view of the play and it was about the only positive ,other than Tasker partially blocking an early punt and being involved with the Michael Jackson halftime show.  Everyone got a seat cushion with a regular sized flashlight embossed with the 27 SB logo. At one point in the halftime show we were asked to turn on the flashlights and visually helped light up the stadium during his performance. 

It was a bag of mixed emotions for me , as I was fortunate to be in a relationship with a really beautiful , smart nurse who went with me. She looked like a very young Hillary Clinton (facially , but had a smoking bod! ) , and on the plane ride out MEAN JOE GREEN was reading a time magazine on the plane and it had Hilary on the cover. He was sitting right behind us and he tapped my girlfriend on the shoulder , pointed to the cover , and asked for her autograph in a joking way. My gf didn’t know who he was , but I had grown up in Eastern Ohio where all my friends were Steelers fans , so I couldn’t believe what has just happened. I jokingly asked if we could just swap autographs and he laughed , kindly just went back to reading as I guess he didn’t want to attract attention to himself. True story. 

Before the game they had the early version of the NFL experience next to the Rose Bowl the day prior to the game. I got to bid on several NFL authenticated memorabilia at a silent auction. I actually got a Bills team signed football,  a Bills team autographed helmet , and an autographed OJ Simpson jersey which was prior to his crimes.  I also got and still have , two large uncut sheets of skybox cards printed on site and in limited edition numbered there.  Those sheets have almost all the Bills & Cowboys on them , in addition to rookies like john Fina and many guys who turned into HOF guys or star players.  I watch Finas YouTube podcast with Joe miller, and Fina has said he never held onto much gear or memorabilia , and since I’ve held onto these uncut sheets ( pristine condition) , I was thinking of contacting him or anyone interested as I am having health issues and would love to see them go to someone who might appreciate them before sometime happens and I’m not around to see where they go.  If interested , email me at r.prokes@icloud.com ( tried posting pics on here of the sheets of cards but files were too large). 

Was just neat stuff; unfortunately it was so negated by the Bllls getting destroyed in that game. I flew there from Florida , so it was a long way to go to watch that throttling!  On the flight home I actually met the parents of the cowboys third wr /kr at the time as they were flying to Jacksonville where they lived.  They had on Cowboys locker room gear ( shirts w the score and other stuff that you couldn’t purchase that quickly as I flew out early the following morning , their last name was Martin if I remember corrrectly ) and they ended up becoming patients in my family practice at the time.  They were great people , very kind about joining my practice even tho it was obvious I was a Bills fan !    So thx for posting as I see you got a lot of criticism for posting about that game. While it was a terrible game, everything else about the experience was amazing for me and unforgettable for all those good things that happened. 😊

One side note; the Bills players of that time have said after the 2 nd SB loss, they were always waiting for something bad to happen in subsequent SB’s. Thurman has said that often , so for example , when he fumbled it would take him out of the game and they just expected bad things to happen so they didn’t mentally think they could win a SB and of course , they never did.
I am getting that “ mentality” or feeling after listening to Mcd and seeing how he has not coached well in the postseason. ( listen to florio critique Mcd , which is the first real critique saying perhaps Mcd is not going to win a SB with the bills that I felt had some validity, as I like Mcd but don’t feel confident in Frazier). The losses  in postseason have been mistake prone,  or just being outcoached in many opinions, and the team all quickly fell into rationalizing how only 1 team ends happy, yada, yada, yada.  
Hate to say it , just a feeling , but it reminds me of issues  like around the 90’s teams; they are coaching / playing almost expecting something bad to happen.  They seemed mentally beaten imo prior to that cincy game , for a variety of reasons , but I’m beginning to wonder if they can overcome all the bad losses they have had in the playoffs.
 At least those 90’s teams got to the SB , and didn’t take steps back once getting to the afc championship game. I’m not sure Mcd , while being a great reg season coach , is not starting to develop a trend of over thinking things and becomes error prone come playoff time. Time will tell, but it’s starting to remind me a little of that 90’s mentality; some coaching staffs rise to the pressure , as the Eagles , KC, and even Cincy have all made it there , while this year it feels like the Bills might even be headed the other way.  Hard not to notice it having lived thru the 90’s SB losses.  Anybody else notice any similarities?  Thx tho for jogging my good memories about SB 27 in Pasadena.  😊

Wow...thank you for this great post outlining your experiences in the SB! I can tell you put a lot of thought into it. Also, I am sorry for your health issues. I hope it works out for you. [Many people here really want the Bills to finally win one before...well...you know.] You have great memorabilia. I never even knew SkyBox printed cards live! You are very kind to offer them. And I wonder how much that OJ jersey is worth now, given his crimes. He was really popular, along with Paul McGuire, back in those days, being on NBC. Both were Bills homers, and I loved it. And Hillary's look back in those days was popular. Later, the first name "Hillary" fell out of popularity for baby names though, as did "Monica". As for Pasadena, yes, it is beautiful. I only passed though there once while traveling, but it was gorgeous.

Edited by chongli

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.