OT…Daniel Jones about to be a very very rich man

78thealltimegreat

2 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Most folks disagreed when I posted that there needs to be a salary cap carve-out for QB's but here's more proof.  Mind-numbing deals ($40 million for Daniel Jones?) shows that the system is totally out of whack.  It's brutally unfair to RB's on top of other things, especially first round picks where the club retains a fifth year option.  Look at Barkley.  Franchise him for $10 million?  No brainer.

How is a salary cap for QBs supposed to be implemented.  Does each team get say $50 million in total for the QB position?  So Allen would get $45 and 3 other QBs would split the $5.  It would never work, the NFLPA would never agree to it, cant limit the $ for one specific position.

The league ebbs and flows and right now QBs are ridiculously important, the league wil evolve and change.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

This dude is delusional. Allen's deal is looking like grand theft Beane more and more.

Allen signed a market deal at the time. It wasn't grand theft. All contracts will go up and Allen will get bigger money in his next restructured deal in a couple of years. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

How is a salary cap for QBs supposed to be implemented.  Does each team get say $50 million in total for the QB position?  So Allen would get $45 and 3 other QBs would split the $5.  It would never work, the NFLPA would never agree to it, cant limit the $ for one specific position.

The league ebbs and flows and right now QBs are ridiculously important, the league wil evolve and change.

I think the NFLPA would definitely be on board with this. Would automatically mean more money for all non-QB positions. That said, this would still go against the reason of having the cap. More money spent on other positions would disrupt parity. 

38 minutes ago, Doc said:

Getting paid more than Josh.  SMH.

A lot of QBs will be paid more than Allen in next 2 years. Then when Allen gets restructured he'll make more. This happens all the time with contracts. The salary cap goes up so do contracts

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, nucci said:

A lot of QBs will be paid more than Allen in next 2 years. Then when Allen gets restructured he'll make more. This happens all the time with contracts. The salary cap goes up so do contracts

I know.  I was taking about just Jones. 

On 1/31/2023 at 11:30 PM, Big Turk said:

Yeah right. There are zero teams that are going to pay Jones that amount of money. Unless there is a bunch of funky accounting going on where he makes like $25-30 million the first few years and the number balloons to make the average come out to that but both sides know he is never seeing that money.

He had one real nice game in the playoffs against a weak Vikings defense.  And crashed down to earth the following weak in the Divisional playoff game against the Eagles.  He could be real good going forward.  But he could also crash and burn, and turn into Carson Wentz.  You just never know with QB's.  Who is better he or Derrick Carr is the big question.  I am not sure I would want either of them as my starter.  But I would lean towards Jones.  More mobility.  And any QB who is going to break down and cry in a press conference after a game, that's not who I want leading my guys into battle every week.  

I think it would be a mistake to give up on Brown (and don't think they will).  He wasn't considered "pro ready" when drafted, and was always more in the developmental category.  The injury last year didn't help.

It would be rough to end up in the same situation that we are seeing w/ Teller - where we let a good one that we drafted get away.

If he gets that kind of money, it's going  to open up talks of capping contracts.  This dude is a scrub, he'll keep you in 7-10/9-8 purgatory for the length of the deal.  Would have to be one of those bogus contracts without many guarantees.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.