OT…Daniel Jones about to be a very very rich man

78thealltimegreat

11 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

The smartest thing for the Giants to do is to Franchise Tag him and make him repeat or better the season he just had before committing long term to him.  Surround him with better weapons this year and see if he takes another leap under Daboll and Kafka(if he doesn't get a HC job)

Thats a cap hit of 32.5M.  They can make some space with extensions and restructures but thats a ton of their available cap space for a team that has needs all over the place.  

40 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

So the franchise tag numbers came out yesterday

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Barkley was playing on the 5th round option of a standard rookie contract - doubt he has any "no franchise tag" "no trade" etc etc language in there.

If the Giants are willing to pay Barkley $10-12M/yr, what is to stop them from franchise tagging him for $10M?  They can do it twice.

That's a little thermonuclear, so it's wise of Schoen not to go there immediately, but the Giants success was heavily built on running the football this season.  They had exactly the same number of rush attempts as pass attempts. 

It seems to me if they want Barkley, they can keep him, so that's their leverage with him to negotiate.

Running backs wont sign a franchise tender.  I know i wouldn't.  

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I hope Daniel Jones sets an all time record for pay.  The more other teams have to pay for QBs the better for the Bills and coming up soon are the contracts for Tua, Burrow, Herbert  all critical rivals.

Burrow and Herbert are going to reset the QB market. Tua will get a nice pay day, but I don't think it will be in the Burrow-Herbert range. Then after that comes Lawrence.

11 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Burrow and Herbert are going to reset the QB market. Tua will get a nice pay day, but I don't think it will be in the Burrow-Herbert range. Then after that comes Lawrence.

Yeah, I really doubt that. With his extensive injury history dating back to college, and now the concussion saga in the NFL, I don't know if he even gets a 2nd contract. 

1 minute ago, H2o said:

Yeah, I really doubt that. With his extensive injury history dating back to college, and now the concussion saga in the NFL, I don't know if he even gets a 2nd contract. 

Health is definitely a factor and that is why I wouldn't put him the Burrow-Herbert range. Maybe Daniel Jones is more like it. This is assuming he will be able to play.

If this is more than an agent spreading rumors, it proves the NFLs penchant for over paying for average QB talent, one year of average output versus four years of crap, talk about being gullible / clutching at straws…, 

Edited by Don Otreply

47 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Not with our current OL. You could have Barry Sanders in his prime and he couldn't run behind this group.

The Bills averaged 5.3 yards per rush attempt. Stats don't tell the whole picture but still that's very good. Likely it's inflated due to teams concentrating on stopping the pass. 

Barkley would be a dynamic dual threat. A game changer for the Bills offense. Think CMC for SF.

However, the Bills can't afford him, injury prone, and I highly doubt Dorsey will utilize him appropriately.  So the point is pretty mute. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah right. People have to stop beli  every media report that gets put out there. As someone else said, agents feed these “reports” to their sources to hype of their clients.

Jones is dollar general Allen. He has some of the tools but he is so meh. This year in his “breakout” year he had a whopping 15 td passes. He ceiling is maybe Ryan Tannehill. I think the worst thing to happen to the Giants is he won a playoff game against a fraud Minnesota team with a terrible defense. Jones ain’t the long term answer but they probably have to at least tag him now.  He is the definition of qb purgatory. 

1 hour ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Thats a cap hit of 32.5M.  They can make some space with extensions and restructures but thats a ton of their available cap space for a team that has needs all over the place.  

I actually disagree with the Giants having needs all over the place comment. They need WRs, a TE, LB core. They have a lot of young talent on their Oline and Dline, set at RB pending they re-sign Barkley, and their secondary isn't bad but could use upgrades on the guys they have. If they add a high end WR, a good LB or two and a CB I think they are ready to compete with anyone pending Jones continues to project upwards. 

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I hope Daniel Jones sets an all time record for pay.  The more other teams have to pay for QBs the better for the Bills and coming up soon are the contracts for Tua, Burrow, Herbert  all critical rivals.

Cap keeps going up.  Won't matter what he gets.

• Disagree 1

Just now, gonzo1105 said:

I actually disagree with the Giants having needs all over the place comment. They need WRs, a TE, LB core. They have a lot of young talent on their Oline and Dline, set at RB pending they re-sign Barkley, and their secondary isn't bad but could use upgrades on the guys they have. If they add a high end WR, a good LB or two and a CB I think they are ready to compete with anyone pending Jones continues to project upwards. 

18th in offense, 25th in defense.  On a last place schedule.  They are a good rushing team, in the same vein that buffalo is a good rushing team.  Jones had 700 yards of their rushing. Barkley had 295 for 1312, and 57 for 338.  Motor/Cook had 266 for 1326, and 59 for 460.  

They have 2 slot WRs in james and Robinson - so they can let shepard walk.  Hodgins is alright for them - but he plays smaller than his size and is not at all fast.  I assume they cut golladay.  Slaytons a free agent.  So are barkley and jones.   

On defense their pass rush isn't strong, and they don't have a strong run game.  They had 6 INTs on the season, which is absurdly low - but this ebbs and flows usually.  They recovered 13 fumbles which is sort of a lot actually. Really good on 3rd down and red zone...  Which also ebbs and flows.  

They won a ton of close games, which usually are more coin flip than anything.  I would put them at 4th in that division next year with their current roster.  

LOL, this QB contract $ talk cracks me up every year.

The reality is $40M is the basement for an NFL QB signing on as a starter with a multi-year contract.

Dak signed a $40M per year contract at the start of 2021.  Carr and Stafford make $40M on older contracts.

Let's all remember that Kyler "f'in" Murray signed at $46.1M per year!

When Burrows and Herbert sign later this year or the start of 2024 it will be for $55M+.

Beane signing Josh Allen to a 6-year contract was brilliant.  His cap is $39.7M and that will be restructured some.

2023 will be a bit of an adjustment for the Bills but all the "handwringing" on cap space is a bit overblown.

14 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

On Sirius today…there are reportedly multiple teams ready to pay Daniel Jones at least 45 million a year should he hit the open market. 

I can just imagine Joe, Justin, Lamar, and Trevor saying after 1 decent year he’s going to get what? 

We get on Brandon Beane about things but man signing Josh early is proving to be one of the best things he’s done. 

Daniel Jones… 45 million +??? 😂 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.